The Best Rock Lyricists

Lunacy

Don't know if this was ever created, so I'll just give it a go.

IMO, here are the best (In no particular order)

• Lennon/ McCartney
  • Roger Waters
  • Bob Dylan
  • Neil Young
  • Kurt Cobain
  • Syd Barrett
  • Neil Young
  • Jim Morrison
  • Mick Jagger
  • Plant/ Page
  • Pete Townshend
  • John Fogerty
  • Hendrix
  • Paul Simon
  • Bob Marley

That's all I got for now.

List yours.

Waters/Gilmour

Lennon/McCartney

Page/Plant

Henley/Frey

I just paired them up that way as they're in the same groups, not because they necessarily always wrote songs together -- sometimes they wrote songs independent of the other. Some of my other choices would be:

Bob Dylan

Paul Simon

Jim Morrison

In addition to those listed above I'd add;

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Stevie Nicks

Van Morrison

Bruce Springsteen

Jack White

Robert Smith

Donald Fagan/Walter Becker

Not sure if they're considered rock, but if so: Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, James Taylor, Carly Simon and Carole King.

Robert Calvert

From last.fm:

Robert Calvert, singer, poet, lyricist, manic depressive and on-off front man of Hawkwind, was a criminally ignored lyrical genius and one of the UK's most underrated creative artists.

Robert was born in 1945 in Pretoria, South Africa. His family moved to Kent in England in 1947. He grew up wanting to be a fighter pilot but ended up a writer, an enthusiastic participant in the 1960s London psychedelia subculture.

After meeting Hawkwind co-founder Dave Brock in 1970, Robert joined the underground icons as resident poet, reading his work amid strobes and light cascades on stage.

Seeking a break from touring, Robert left Hawkwind in 1973 and recorded two solo albums, Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters (featuring Brian Eno and Arthur Brown) and Lucky Leif And The Longships (produced by Eno). In 1975 he rejoined Hawkwind as their frontman and main lyricist, staying on for three years before leaving for the second time in 1978. Through the end of the 70s and and into the 80s up to his death in 1988 he produced numerous poetic and musical works, as well as short stories and novels.

Robert is believed to have been bi-polar and spent much of his adult life in states of mania, depression or recovering in mental institutions.

Despite, or perhaps because of, this, he left an amazing legacy, a canon of amazingly imaginative and original work, touching on themes rarely even considered by other songwriters.

Robert Calvert died of a heart attack in August 1988 while readying himself for a new tour and about to work once again with Hawkwind.

Archived