Ray LaMontagne - God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise

raylamontagne64.jpg

Acclaimed recording artist Ray LaMontagne is set to release his new album, Ray LaMontagne & The Pariah Dogs - God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise on August 17th, 2010 on RCA Records. This is his fourth studio record, and the follow-up to his heralded Gossip in the Grain.

Entirely self produced (for the first time) God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise was recorded in two weeks at LaMontagne's home in the woods of western Massachusetts.

The newly restored historic home served as a homemade recording studio for Ray and his fellow musicians. The setting provided a backdrop for the creation of songs imbued with Ray's signature poignancy.

With Ray's vocals at the forefront of the songs and a loose, almost live sounding recording, the album stands as a testament to a band at the height of their powers.

The newly coined 'Pariah Dogs', consists of Jay Bellarose (drums), Jennifer Condos (bass), Patrick Warren (keyboard), Eric Heywood (guitar) and Greg Leisz (pedal steel guitar). Individually, these musicians have contributed to the live work of such heralded musicians including Beck, Joe Henry, Tom Waits, Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams and Joe Cocker to name a few of their career highlights. Together with Ray, they shared a sense that the sessions for this record were rare and extraordinary.

Ray's last album Gossip in the Grain debuted at #3 on the Billboard charts. He appeared on multiple television programs including a coveted spot on Saturday Night Live.

Ray will hit the road with David Gray beginning August 15th and ending September 10, 2010. During his last North American tour, Spin.com proclaimed Ray, "illustrated a near flawless transition from a front porch in Maine to the front of the most prestigious stage in the world (Radio City Music Hall)."

God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise track listing:

1. Repo Man

2. New York City's Killing Me

3. God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise

4. Beg Steal Or Borrow

5. Are We Really Through

6. This Love Is Over

7. Old Before Your Time

8. For The Summer

9. Like Rock & Roll and Radio

10. The Devil's In The Jukebox

David Gray and Ray LaMontagne 2010 tour dates:

(Dates and information subject to change.)

August 2010

August 15 Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavilion

August 17 Boston, MA Bank of America Pavilion

August 18 Boston, MA Bank of America Pavilion

August 19 Wantagh, NY Nikon @ Jones Beach

August 20 Camden, NJ Susquehanna Bank Center

August 25 Chicago, IL Millennium Park

August 26 Rochester, MI Meadow Brook Theatre

August 27 Toronto, ON Molson Amphitheatre

August 29 Council Bluffs, IA Stir Cover @ Harrah's Council Bluffs

August 30 Morrison, CO Red Rocks Amphitheatre

August 31 Santa Fe, NM Santa Fe Opera House

September 2010

September 1 Phoenix, AZ Dodge Theatre

September 3 Los Vegas, NV The Pearl @ The Palms

September 4 Valley Center, CA Harrahs Rincon

September 5 Santa Barbara, CA Santa Barbara Bowl

September 8 Los Angeles, CA The Greek Theatre

September 10 San Francisco, CA The Greek Theatre

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Doesn't seem to be much interest in Ray's music here, but now that I've had a chance to digest the new collection of songs, I thought I would offer the following. The guy has really unique, soulful voice. For that alone, he is worth checking out. Since I enjoy pedal steel, lap steel and a lot of acoustic type instrumentation, Ray has assembled a stellar band. To my ears, the weak link of this release are some of the lyrics. At times a bit too simple. Ray also uses various cliches in his lyric writing that becomes downright irritating. Things like "while the cat's away" just don't cut it and I would say there are about 3-5 songs that have a cliche thrown in. Ray's wikipedia page mentions fights with people with whom he went to high school. A couple of songs seems like throw "digs" at various people from Ray's high school past.

Archived