Led Zeppelin ranked 14 in Rolling Stone mag

DMachine

I've read this article some time ago (it was named "Immortals"), and I kind of agree with most of the list (of course, I would like Pink Floyd to be higher)

I've read this article some time ago (it was named "Immortals"), and I kind of agree with most of the list (of course, I would like Pink Floyd to be higher)

Pink Floyd's not even on the list. 100 Greatest Artists and no Pink Floyd. What a fucking crock.

.... and a pretty bad drawing, too.

http://www.rollingst...702/31963/32048

All you have to see is Dylan at number two to know what a farce this is. I would rank Neil Young ahead of Dylan. Here is my ranking:

1. Led Zeppelin

2. Beatles

3. Rolling Stones

4. The Who

5. Pink Floyd

6. Eagles

7. Elvis ( cant stand him but must include)

8. many tied

I would like Pink Floyd to be higher)

just where on that list do you see Pink Floyd?

Another amazing RS bullshit list. No PF or CCR, but sure as shit, there's Madonna, Marshall Mathers and the Beastie Boys. I'm almost surprised that Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga wasn't on that list too. Fuckin' Jann Weiner is an elitist punk ass that needs to go away.

Another amazing RS bullshit list. No PF or CCR, but sure as shit, there's Madonna, Marshall Mathers and the Beastie Boys. I'm almost surprised that Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga wasn't on that list too. Fuckin' Jann Weiner is an elitist punk ass that needs to go away.

Agreed. I bet he's the reason that Deep Purple, Kiss, Yes, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Motorhead, Chicago, Rush, Neil Diamond, The Moody Blues, Heart, and others aren't in the Hall of Fame.

Agreed. I bet he's the reason that Deep Purple, Kiss, Yes, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Motorhead, Chicago, Rush, Neil Diamond, The Moody Blues, Heart, and others aren't in the Hall of Fame.

I would put the Beach Boys somewhere in the range of 20-25. I mean, come on.

Most of the artists you mentioned don't deserve to be in the HOF, IMHO. I'd say Yes, Rush, Neil Diamond, and the Moody Blues do, with the possibility of Deep Purple and Chicago. Most of the others are just metal bands and most of their material is not that great. Just put on one of their tunes and then listen to any Zeppelin or Beatles song and that will pretty much answer it. Just no comparison. They just don't have the credibility, originality, musicianship and musical influence that Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Bob Dylan and U2 have among others. They all deserve to be in the HOF. The others don't. Kiss is just a cabaret act with all the makeup etc. to go along with it. Just compare any of their material to Zep and the previously mentioned artists as well as others. Decide for yourself, but little thought should be taken.

It doesn't mean I don't like their songs. I do like some of them. It's just that the overall quality and breadth of material doesn't measure up to the others. I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this, but I'm just stating how I feel.

Hi all,dan,

:D

Could this wrote me self! :P

KB

Hi all,dan,

:D

Could have wrote this me self! :P

KB

:D Me bad. I've read that article some time ago and I remembered something fishy about Pink Floyd, but I didn't have the patience to navigate through Next/Previous buttons.

Most of the artists you mentioned don't deserve to be in the HOF, IMHO. I'd say Yes, Rush, Neil Diamond, and the Moody Blues do, with the possibility of Deep Purple and Chicago. Most of the others are just metal bands and most of their material is not that great. Just put on one of their tunes and then listen to any Zeppelin or Beatles song and that will pretty much answer it. Just no comparison. They just don't have the credibility, originality, musicianship and musical influence that Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Bob Dylan and U2 have among others. They all deserve to be in the HOF. The others don't. Kiss is just a cabaret act with all the makeup etc. to go along with it. Just compare any of their material to Zep and the previously mentioned artists as well as others. Decide for yourself, but little thought should be taken.

I disagree with you on the following:

1. I can't believe you put Purple in a "doubting" sentence.

2. Iron Maiden don't deserve and Madonna deserve to be in HOF?

And they put ' Ry Cooder ' ahead of Jimmy Page in the best guitarist category??????????

The people in charge of RS are long-time Zep-bashers and it is becoming disgusting, because that same

acephalopodic brush is painting other artists into oblivion. Not giving artists their rightful place when you have

such a big voice (as does RS, sic) is a slight on art and music in themselves.

It appears as though RS is in cahoots with MTV in promoting confusing icons and notions, and also only challenge the popular ideals

and widely accepted beliefs in order to give itself an air of authority and connoisseurship.

It's like some completely unremarkable person with no sense of style who obsesses with Volkswagens and absolutely hates chocolate

without being allergic to it or having any adverse intestinal/gastric reactions to it. Particular. Basically, the annoying Virgo type. Just throw in some

random and targeted negation to give your voice the semantic stylings of Stalin's purge: accept blindly or lose approval.

Well RS, the one time in my life I bought your magazine, the guys were on the cover. You calculatedly left a title of 'Losing the war on drugs' right

next to the picture and your writer described them as rambling about cluelessly for the first three songs. Kinda had a hard time appreciating what was going on. It'd be fun if fans of any kind of music would write about the music in question. Not some truly-before-God inferior intellect type

like some punk-loving small insecure person with emotional sarcasm as a dominant trait.

Most fans of any kind of music, deep down inside (if not to say waaaayyyyyyy down inside) are bigger fans of Zep. People just know. And they

respect, unlike you.

This is very sad.

It is probably just the opinion of one dumb ass that is dumb enough to put Dylan number two!!! Are you f----ng kidding me? Dylan number two!!!!!huh.gif If they are going to do something like that and rank groups and or musicians they should list categories. And in the past they have (by instrumen and vocals). And you all know the most common rankings over the years. Keyboards usually went to Elton and Bass to McCartney but all the members of Led Zeppelin were in the top three or four most of the time. If you want to talk about success and album and concert sales, LZ ranks far higher than 14. Can you really say who is bigger between Frank Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles or Led Zeppelin? No.

It is probably just the opinion of one dumb ass that is dumb enough to put Dylan number two!!! Are you f----ng kidding me? Dylan number two!!!!!

Why all the Dylan bashing? Just remember that his message set precedent for an entire generation and influenced most of the sixties artists including foremost, The Beatles.

Say what you will about his nasally vocals or you don't agree with his message, but the guy definitely belongs there.

I would put the Beach Boys somewhere in the range of 20-25. I mean, come on.

Really? Take a few moments and really listen to Pet Sounds and then realize when this was written and maybe you would think differently. Brian Wilson was about as close to a genius as rock music has seen. It goes way past Surfin' USA.

Anyone who listens to what this magazine has to say should STOP NOW! It's been this way with RS forever. I can't remember the last time I saw a list from them and decided to see what it listed. They always have their agendas and I for one just can't stand the magazine they put out. This list doesn't surprise me. It may be a matter of a few peoples opinoins but....COME ON!!

Hi T Y'All,

Its got to be about the Pictures hasn't it? You know? the guys who actually Painted them, not the Musical Artists, other wise it doesn't make any sense does it? but we are talking "Rolling Stone Mag", a piece of paper that was always better suited to the Jake's in my honest opinion, so fcuk em. :o

Look at Number 3, "The Burger King" was a Performer not an Artist, others wrote Music and Lyrics for Him, how does that put him above the likes of any who did?

Regards, Danny

PS, Well its a one for the money right? :lol:

Also in the top 500 songs of all time ( which had an introduction by JayZ) they put Stairway at number 31, but they called Stairway and Epic Anthem that all songs must be compared too. In that same magazine they had amy winehouse and Beyonce and Eminem and more. Also they put Jay Zs 99 problems ahead of Black Dog and Ramble on. Also Bohemian Rhapsody was number 166, and loads of worse songs went ahead of that

Also in the top 500 songs of all time ( which had an introduction by JayZ) they put Stairway at number 31, but they called Stairway and Epic Anthem that all songs must be compared too. In that same magazine they had amy winehouse and Beyonce and Eminem and more. Also they put Jay Zs 99 problems ahead of Black Dog and Ramble on. Also Bohemian Rhapsody was number 166, and loads of worse songs went ahead of that

That's Rolling Stone for you. Another reason, in a ever growing list of reasons, not to read them EVER.

Led Zeppelin the 14th greatest band ever..............(Boyce laugh from Only Fools And Horses)

I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone but the list says "greatest artists", not "bands" or any genre in particular. Everyone ranked in front of Zep in this list has made monumental contributions to music, that can't be argued. If you break it down the only real rock bands ranked ahead of Zep was the Beatles, Stones and Hendrix, and that really isn't too far off the mark.

What srikes me is how far down the list people like Clapton #53, Cream #66 & the Who #29 are.

Alright, I'm no longer defending this ridiculous magaine, how the hell are you gonna' rank Aerosmith ahead of Cream or the Who? Thats just pure insanity.

What blows me away more than anything... no Les Paul. WTF?

Archived