Led Zeppelin ranked 14 in Rolling Stone mag

DMachine

I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone but the list says "greatest artists", not "bands" or any genre in particular. Everyone ranked in front of Zep in this list has made monumental contribution to music, that can't be argued. If you break it down the only real rock bands ranked ahead of Zep was the Beatles, Stones and Hendrix, and that really isn't too far off the mark.

What srikes me is how far down the list people like Clapton #53, Cream #66 & the Who #29 are.

Alright, I'm no longer defending this ridiculous magaine, how the hell are you gonna' rank Aerosmith ahead of Cream or the Who? Thats just pure insanity.

And of course, no Pink Floyd....criminal.

Insanity, thy name is Rolling Stone! :blink:

Also in the top 500 songs of all time ( which had an introduction by JayZ) they put Stairway at number 31, but they called Stairway and Epic Anthem that all songs must be compared too. In that same magazine they had amy winehouse and Beyonce and Eminem and more. Also they put Jay Zs 99 problems ahead of Black Dog and Ramble on. Also Bohemian Rhapsody was number 166, and loads of worse songs went ahead of that

And the problem with that is???? :blink:

The only one RS got right was #1. The shrooms, blow, and open bar must have kicked in after they established the top spot, which clouded rational, objective thought.

I only own one magazine from RS and it's only because Jeff Beck & Eric Clapton was on it. But that's it. I am a happy subscriber to Guitar World :D.

I like Guitar World. I have several issues featuring interviews with both Jimmy Page and David Gilmour. Great reads.

"Heavy metal would not exist without Led Zeppelin, and if it did, it would suck."

Rolling Stone on the cutting literary edge once again.

Those were David Grohl's words, and he only proved how big fan he is. I don't like Grohl's music, but I have sympathy for him for his endless enthusiasm regarding everything Zeppelin.

Look at Number 3, "The Burger King" was a Performer not an Artist, others wrote Music and Lyrics for Him, how does that put him above the likes of any who did?

I think it's ridiculous that Zeppelin aren't in the top 5, or even top 10 but Elvis is rightly where he is. Singing/performing is still being an 'artist' and of those on that list I would say that Elvis inspired/influenced Robert and Jimmy more than any other. Elvis' 'greatness' cannot be diminished in my opinion. He was what he was. He was 'the King'.

Sinatra seems to get a free pass for not writing his own stuff so I've never understood why Elvis is singled out by some. Bob Hope didn't write his own jokes but he's still considered one of the greatest comedians of all time.

The problem with that is is that it was called ROCKS greatest songs, not pop, not hip hop, not rap, ROCK

No it wasn't. It was the 500 Greatest Songs of All-Time. I had that issue when it came out. There was a lot of songs on the list that were not strictly rock, because the list was not limited only to rock music.

And my original point stands. There's a lot of people here and I've been guilty of it myself at times, who are music snobs. Guess what? There are other bands/artists out there than Led Zeppelin and sometimes one of their songs is better than a Led Zeppelin song. That doesn't mean Led Zeppelin suddenly sucks and we're all wasting our time listening to and enjoying their music.

No it wasn't. It was the 500 Greatest Songs of All-Time. I had that issue when it came out. There was a lot of songs on the list that were not strictly rock, because the list was not limited only to rock music.

And my original point stands.

i dont wanna make an argument lol, but on the back it says the stories of rocks classic songs, I dont know that was my first time i ever read Rolling Stone, i thought it was classic rock

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bit late to respond, but I am surprised Queen did not make the top 100. They made great music in my opinion and were one of the most iconic bands of their era.

Although music is of course subjective, I do find it utterly absurd that the Beach Boys are placed 12th on that list. I dont mind them actually, but that is just ridiculous. I cannot think of one person that I know who would agree with that placing.

Pink Floyd didnt make it either... oh well, every cloud... :)

Archived