The Official Thread About Guitar Chords Named After Guitarists Who Used Said Chord

This thread was going to be a lot more in depth, but I accidentally deleted everything I wrote (sometimes I get really pissed when this happens, but right now... eh it's chill). Here it is: the Official Thread About Guitar Chords Named After Guitarists Who Used Said Chord.

A lot of you are probably familiar with the Hendrix chord (E7#9). I had written a paragraph about it, and provided some links about it, but I'm just not in the mood to try to repeat everything I wrote about it. This is the only guitar chord (and chord in general) I have ever heard of named after a person.

I'll manage this list as reference.

1. Hendrix chord - Jimi Hendrix.

Name of chord in musical theory: E7#9.

Song in which chord is used by guitarist: "Purple Haze".

Are there any other notable guitar chords named after guitarists who used said chord, and if so what is the chord and where did he/she use it?

How about this one:

George Harrison chord: G7 sus 4

Song used: "A Hard Day's Night"

There are probably lots more like this - favorite tricks and pet fingerings used by the great players, if not in fact "invented" by them.

post-12775-128000901488_thumb.gif

How about this one:

George Harrison chord: G7 sus 4

Song used: "A Hard Day's Night"

There are probably lots more like this - favorite tricks and pet fingerings used by the great players, if not in fact "invented" by them.

post-12775-128000901488_thumb.gif

Cool. There seems to be some sort of debate over what the exact chord in use was, according to the page for "A Hard Day's Night" on Wikipedia (I'm not too familiar with the Beatles so I went there for some lowdown). Apparently some people say it's a G7add9sus4, others including you say it's a G7sus4, and others yet say it's a G11sus4, and there are apparently various other theories (Wikipedia doesn't cite any others though). It does say that in an interview, Harrison said it was a Fadd9. Well you know how these things go with tablature, and ear training: it becomes hard to tell what exactly is being played. So as far as my list goes, I'll put it down (it was a good example regardless of the chord) but I'm going to go with Harrison's word on this.

Yeah, guitarists certainly pick up their own rhythm styles, some of which are really unique, like Hendrix's. Harrison had an identifiable style as every competent player should, but it wasn't as flashy as Hendrix's. Discussion about rhythm styles and other stuff regarding chords is encouraged.

Song in which chord is used by guitarist: "Purple Haze".

2. Harrison chord - George Harrison.

Name of chord in musical theory: Fadd9.

Song in which chord is used by guitarist: "A Hard Day's Night".

I don't know if musicians refer to the latter chord as the Harrison chord the way people refer to the Hendrix chord, but because of the number of stuff that appears when one googles "George Harrison 'A Hard Day's Night' chord, I'll take it.

I seem to recall a previous thread like this - we were debating which chord would be the "Jimmy Page chord". My vote goes to the chord used in The Wanton song (2nd chord in 2nd part)I don't know what it's called, it's like a 7th but with a finger on the A string also. Cool and ugly. He uses it in Ten Years Gone also.

Maybe this one, after I just listened to "Heaven and Hell":

The Tony Iommi chord: Can we call it G5?

In tab, like so:

x

x

x

Heard in "War Pigs," [/b]"Electric Funeral," etc. Sounds great through a cranked amp, alternating with an open low E chugging away.

I hope this is the kind of thing you were thinking about.

Not the way I play it! DUH. You got some tabs for that?

Maybe I'm not such a hot-shot after all! biggrin.gif

Actually I do but I would have to dig them up. Hope I can find. I got them off Olga.net. Very accurate. Two note chord ascending octave used. After those chords using three high strings (ead) in frets 7 and 9 I think.

Actually I do but I would have to dig them up. Hope I can find. I got them off Olga.net. Very accurate. Two note chord ascending octave used. After those chords using three high strings (ead) in frets 7 and 9 I think.

You've totally lost me now. I only recognise the shapes :unsure:

Well one can play with tab and chords alone but I did learn to read, and theory and took piano first. Its helps

I'm sure it does, but I have ADHD and I don't have time to mess around with fancy stuff like that. I chose the fast-track to Bedroom Guitarist's Oblivion

I seem to recall a previous thread like this - we were debating which chord would be the "Jimmy Page chord". My vote goes to the chord used in The Wanton song (2nd chord in 2nd part)I don't know what it's called, it's like a 7th but with a finger on the A string also. Cool and ugly. He uses it in Ten Years Gone also.

If you could point out the thread or if I come across it, I'd be more than happy to delete this one and bump the older one up (I'd keep the list just for the hell of it though. I'd have to listen to "The Wanton Song" again (probably a few times) to know which chord you're talking about (and even then I'd probably end up referrring to tablature). I'd be hard pressed to name a chord after Page firstly because I'm not great at recognizing chords, and less importantly because all the chords I can recognize are fairly common. This is not to say that Page doesn't have a unique style, but most of his playing is based in folk and the blues, with little "experimentation" so to say with chords. I'd say his style is more diverse than George Harrison, but the Beatles did have a slightly more progressive feel than Led Zeppelin in some respects (I'm talking about some of the work on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club). Often Harrison is dependent on more basic chords, moreso than Page. They are both unique players though.

Alex Lifeson chord

F#7sus4

I don't listen to much Rush, could you name a song he used that in?

Maybe this one, after I just listened to "Heaven and Hell":

The Tony Iommi chord: Can we call it G5?

In tab, like so:

x

x

x

Heard in "War Pigs," [/b]"Electric Funeral," etc. Sounds great through a cranked amp, alternating with an open low E chugging away.

I hope this is the kind of thing you were thinking about.

The real authority on this would be Tony Iommi, but G5 will work.

I'll address your last statement in the last paragraph of my post.

It's not a chord, but 'sliding octaves' are often referred to as 'Wes Montgomerys'

Interesting, and that makes sense, but I'm looking for specific chords not techniques, sorry. I'll have to remember that though.

I'm happy that I've gotten so much participation in this thread (more than I expected anyways). The only problem is that of the chords that have been named so far, I only have evidence that two of them are actually referred to by the names we have been labeling them by (the Hendrix chord and the Harrison chord). I don't mind conversation about naming chords, but I'm going to make two lists: the first for chords which I have proof are referred to by the name of a guitarist who used it and the second for chords which are less commonly called by the name we have given it. I hope this doesn't seem obnoxious, and I know this narrows the margin a lot, but I was hoping for chords that are referred to by the name of a guitarist who used it on a somewhat regular basis. I just wasn't expecting so much response to my thread. I don't wish to impair conversation though - regardless of the main objective of this thread, this would still be an great place to discuss other chord-related stuff.

Official List

Song in which chord is used by guitarist: "Purple Haze" (1967).

2. Harrison chord - George Harrison.

Name of chord in musical theory: Fadd9.

Song in which chord is used by guitarist: "A Hard Day's Night" (1964).

Unofficial List

1. Page chord - Jimmy Page.

Chord: Seventh chord with finger suspended on A string (?).

Song: "The Wanton Song".

2. Lifeson chord - Alex Lifeson.

Chord: F7sus4.

Song: ?.

3. Iommi chord - Tony Iommi.

Chord: G5 (?).

Song(s): "Heaven and Hell", "War Pigs", and "Electric Funeral".

As a self taught, two bit hack guitarist, I play a shitload of chords I have no clue what they are; some I like to think I've made up.(harhar) I mainly play my original stuff...

My question goes back to the Beatles. In 'She Loves You', at the end of the last "Yeah,yeah,

yeah", is that what I would perceive to be a 'Harrison' chord, or is it Paul, George and John harmonizing in different keys that give that cool effect? If it's a chord, I dig the hell out of it.

As a self taught, two bit hack guitarist, I play a shitload of chords I have no clue what they are; some I like to think I've made up.(harhar) I mainly play my original stuff...

My question goes back to the Beatles. In 'She Loves You', at the end of the last "Yeah,yeah,

yeah", is that what I would perceive to be a 'Harrison' chord, or is it Paul, George and John harmonizing in different keys that give that cool effect? If it's a chord, I dig the hell out of it.

I'm with you there. I've been meaning to get into musical theory.

Anyways, I don't know if that would be considered a Harrison chord. The chord we listed as the Harrison chord was only used in that song as far as I know. But you're right, the Beatles did harmonize between the guitars and bass.

...1. Page chord - Jimmy Page.

Chord: Seventh chord with finger suspended on A string (?).

Song: "The Wanton Song".

That's a diminished 7th chord - the note on the A string is the root

...2. Lifeson chord - Alex Lifeson.

Chord: F7sus4.

Song: ?.

Hemispheres - it's the first chord

• 4 months later...

Gee difficult one but agree with the wes montgomery octave playing, one of the very few jazzers I can listen too..Lifeson chords is def any sus type chord from7th sus 4 to sus 2 etc...i would say every song at some point has a sus type add9 thingy , great and individual musicain. Can't think off hand but with the 7th#9 hendrix chord, other than jazzers I can think of ACDC using it in Shoot to thrill off the top ofmy head...what a dam fine song that is :

Pagey chord would be any comonal garden chord like a straight major or minor triad but played with open notes and doubled up notes giving the effect off a de tuned version whilst playing in standard tuning, clever stuff and Over the hills and Far away springs to mind.....The C major chord but with doubled up G and E notes on the open strings but its played on the 3rd fret A string ©,5th fret D string (G) then open G then 5th fret B string (E) and then open high E string..simple but sounds so much better than the standard way of playing it.

• 1 month later...

Pagey chord would be any comonal garden chord like a straight major or minor triad but played with open notes and doubled up notes giving the effect off a de tuned version whilst playing in standard tuning, clever stuff and Over the hills and Far away springs to mind.....The C major chord but with doubled up G and E notes on the open strings but its played on the 3rd fret A string ©,5th fret D string (G) then open G then 5th fret B string (E) and then open high E string..simple but sounds so much better than the standard way of playing it.

Would you mind tabbing that, please? I don't think I'm following you.

P.S. I would also like to say that this thread title is ace - I love it.

Archived