What would you do if you met a member of Led Zep?

I met Robert Plant when he played Shreveport, Louisiana during his Nonstop Go Tour. I introduced myself ("Allan") and he said that his grandfather's name was also Allan. As he was autographing my "The Song Remains The Same" lp, I spelled my first name for him. He said his grandfather spelled it the same way, and that the spelling is Welsh. We shook hands and he was gracious enough to allow me a pic with him. Here it is.

very cool!...great story

I've never gone up to a well-known person in a public place unless it was business related, I just don't see the point. It's very rare I recognize famous people in ordinary life anyway. It's a context thing.

If we were all in the same room in a professional capacity or at a social event, I would like to hear Robert's thoughts about Wales and Celtic history. If I were introduced to Jimmy, I would ask about his tapestries and architecture as he has owned some fine period homes. John Paul, I have no idea. If we were standing next to the champagne fountain I'd probably ask him how many glasses he thinks he could drink. Or if he thinks the meatball hors d'oeuvres are really beef. Again, a context thing.

As other posters have commented, context is everything when it comes to this topic. If a third party actually introduced me to one of them, I would say that it was a pleasure to meet him and leave it at that. I would try my hardest not to fawn or gape at him like an idiot. If I just happened to be in the same place as one of them, I wouldn't bother him. If he caught me staring, I would smile at him with a nod, then go about my business. If I were expected to chitchat with one of them, I would probably ask them what they were doing musically nowadays and what their musical plans were for the near future.

One question I would definitely ask Jimmy Page: "I've read that you attended art school back in the early 60s. What role did your art studies play in shaping your music, stage act and costume choices?

I told myself awhile back that if I met any members of the band, I would thank them for their music and how it saved my life in the 70s. (I spoke more about this on another thread). I believe it's important to express gratitude. I would not ask for an autograph. I occasionally do meet celebrities here in NYC, often in restaurants or occasionally at charity events. Sometimes a conversation occurs naturally...if a conversation does not occur naturally I don't push it. I don't ask for autographs because I think there is a chance it can be construed as crass, as autographs can have monetary value; asking for one does not necessarily mean you are a fan. I would rather, if there is any time at all, use it for conversation.

That is a tough one.

I think I would faint, pass out (or is it the same?) and wet myself (not necesarily in this particular order anyway). If I ever were conscious after seing them, I would just thank them for their music and tell them how much it ment to me and how much it changed the world I am living it (for the better of course). If I had a chance, I would THEN ask them IF I could take a picture with them or/and have them autographed somewhere, where I can keep it forever as a memory for this very special moment.

If everything went good, I would invite them to come over to Czech Republic :-). For sure they would not come, but hey, I already met them, so miracles are indeed possible!!!

PS: thanks to all who shared their stories how they met some Zeps!!! GREAT READING, GREAT STORIES!!! Thank you!!!

well I have met Jimmy and what I can say for sure: he is one charming person and he really doesn't mind people approaching him, if you're doing it the right way mind you. just take a deep breath and don't scream at him^^ just tell him what you think of him and I'm sure you will get the reaction you want..so, if one of you guys should see Jimmy in the streets: pluck up the courage and see what you get!! he isn't intimidating at all, he really is just a normal English guy..

P.S.: it was a public cafe and HE asked ME whether I wanted a photo..I didn't wanna overdo it and ask for an autograph as well, but he sure was very happy..and maybe also a little proud, who knows^^

Bare faced liars you'd all either faint or run over to him wherever it was

You don't know me well enough to assume that. When I tell you I'd leave a celebrity alone, that's the honest truth!

Hey, there's no need to argue. People are going to believe whatever they want about you; don't stress about it.

I had the experience some years back of meeting a celebrity I not only was a big fan of, but had a huge CRUSH on...I did not "wet my pants" or do anything else embarrassing, but I did have a strange experience: We had a conversation, and although I had some trouble hearing him due to noise in the room, I thought I was hearing at least 50 percent at the time, but after I got home I could not recall one word he had said...I think because visual memory trumps auditory memory, and the visual of seeing my CRUSH in person was overwhelming, I had trouble retrieving the auditory memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough question.

Probably, I would just stand there and freeze. Then I would probably react to the situation, say Hi, thank him and tell them that they compose incredible music, then ask for an autograph.

Yeah, I think that would probably happen. I hope it does come true.

I sat in the row behind Jimmy during the screening of It Might Get Loud at Hammersmith. I shook his hand afterwards and told him Zep were the best band I'd ever seen. He smiled back and said 'All right!'.

He was making a public appearance, and shook hands with quite a few people that evening. If I saw him in a restaurant or a shop I certainly wouldn't bother him.

Archived