THE BLACK CROWES:

Hi you all, I`m hoping to hear that after Chris finished with CRB. The Crowes will record a new record. As its been a long time between album`s released. the last album I have from the crowes is warpaint . this was followed by the warpiant live album... :bubble::yourock: band as always. :superman::superman: fan dig them CROWES.........

• 2 weeks later...

yeah great band but you are right about the bad mouthing other bands. its always rub me up the wrong way too!. it would be great to have a new album from the Crowes, I`ve come a cross a new band to me anyway BLUE Pills. . .

Quote:

its a long way to the top if you what to rock `n` roll . . .

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Nah. Imo the first album "Big Moon Ritual" is by far my favourite followed by the second album "The Magic Door. The latest offering " Phosphoresent Harvest" comes in at number three. The track "Burn Slow" is pretty good, but the rest of it hasn't quite gelled with me yet

• 7 months later...

The Black Crowes Are No More, Says Guitarist Rich Robinson

The Black Crowes, the highly influential critically and commercially successful act, has disbanded, founding member Rich Robinson announced earlier today.

Robinson, the group's guitarist and songwriter, formed The Black Crowes in 1989 with his brother Chris in their hometown of Marietta, Georgia. Their first album, "Shake Your Money Maker", yielded multiple hit singles and has been RIAA-certified as a multiplatinum (over 5 million) seller. Their follow-up, "The Southern Harmony And Companion", is, likewise, multiplatinum and rose to No. 1 on Billboard's album chart. The group's catalog also includes additional RIAA-certified releases, including the critically acclaimed "Amorica", "By Your Side" and a live collaboration with Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page.

Said Rich in his statement: "It is with great disappointment and regret that after having the privilege of writing and performing the music of The Black Crowes over the last 24 years, I find myself in the position of saying that the band has broken up."

He continued: "I hold my time with The Black Crowes with the utmost respect and sincerest appreciation. It is a huge swath of my life's body of work. I couldn't be more proud of what we accomplished and deeply moved by the relationships people created and maintained with my music. That alone is the greatest honor of being a musician."

"I love my brother and respect his talent, but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band, and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relingquish 100% of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to."

Robinson concluded: "There are so many people who have helped and supported us along the way."

"I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of our fans, our friends behind the scenes, and to everyone who was a part of The Black Crowes."

The Black Crowes went on hiatus in 2001, and in 2004, Rich began his solo journey with the release of his first album, "Paper". It would be seven years before his second solo album, "Through A Crooked Sun", and an accompanying EP, Llama Blues, were released, as the Crowes reunited in 2005 and were actively recording and touring until their second hiatus in 2010.

The Black Crowes' final performance took place on December 14, 2013 at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, California.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-black-crowes-are-no-more-says-guitarist-rich-robinson/

If it really is the end, I will miss them...more for their live shows than their albums, good though they be. But their concerts were some of the best I have ever seen, especially the week-long run at the Fonda Theatre in 2005. Crazy good those six shows were.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this isn't really THE end of the Crowes...one of the best live bands out there, glad I saw them last time they played through. They were awesome, had some majestic moments during their show leaving myself and a couple people around me saying Wow, WOW at the same time. Chris is touring now, can at least see him & his boys. Last time saw Rich was at the Jimi Hendrix Experience...good show recommend it...personal fav was the playing of Mato Nanji, crowd fav prob Kenny Wayne Sheppard. BTW Firm Fans: Tony Franklin played noticeably GREAT bass at the JHE show, came near me to talk to Eric Giles (who played great too, had never heard of him) and it was all I could do to not tap Tony's arm and beg him to see if he can lasso Jimmy into a Firm Reunion. Hey, if that gets James to play w/a band again...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
6 hours ago, geekfreak said:

well still no news on the crowes. but there`s a new album due from CRB soon... 

Crows.jpg

Think TBC are done but I'll have new CRB album, I managed to snag a copy of the limited edition Betty's Blends vol 2 recently.

Chris Robinson sounds like he's got the John Fogerty disease. He sounds like a real ripe asshole from Rich's account....wanting Rich and Steve to give up their share of the band. What a prick.

• 5 weeks later...

Still hard to accept that one of my favorite live bands is DONE.  Such a bummer. Really glad I caught their last show in my town.  Was a fantastic show and the room smelled sooo sweet with high quality weed, ha. Great night.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the first 2 albums and they were constantly on when we lived in our travellers van when we came back from india. But when we saw them live ( maybe @ 1991) - oh deary me. Slow versions of songs, played without any feeling whatsoever and they were seriously disappointing. In fact at the time we were getting into house music - The Crowes were the nail in the coffin for Hard Rock music for us

• 7 months later...

I have been listening to alot of the Crowes lately.  Every time I go back to them I realize how great they were.  Not many bands can come back after a lull and knock it out of the park with back to back albums in two consecutive years after 20 years together.  Warpaint and Before the Frost are great albums and they include some of my favorite Crowes tracks.

A great deal of the Crowes rebirth was due to the addition of the amazing Luther Dickinson.  (side note - if you never heard the album "The Word" by Medeski, Wood and the North Mississippi All Stars it is a treat.  Luther is on fire.  Check out the long intro to "Without God" and the hidden track at the end "Joyful Sounds- Reprise" for starters.  Luther is joined by Robert Randolph on pedal steel throughout the album. )

Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution - the ultimate distillation of everything that made the Crowes rock

Movin on Down the Line - fantastic, spacey No Quarter type opening, and then a rock solid groove.  This song blew me away when I saw them in a small club on the Warpaint tour - the opening was much extended and Luther did a slow burn along with the keys.    

Wounded Bird - a very Zeppelin type song - and in a good way - not the stuff like Whitesnake and Kingdom Come which never sounded anything like Zeppelin.

Good Morning Captain - another classic Crowes romping rocker  

A Train Still Makes a Lonely Sound - perfection

Of course my favorite Crowes album is Southern Harmony.  When it was released I thought many of the tracks were in a Zeppelin vein, but not in the caricature nonsense way that bands like Whitesnake and Kingdom Come were "said" to "sound like Zeppelin" which they did not at all . 

To my ears the following tracks were very Zeppelin like in spirit, in lyrics, and in overall power and intensity.

Sometimes Salvation - son of "For Your Life" but it is a Crowes original through and through.  Heavy, great lyrics and that Robinson vocal especially at the end!!  Wow.  Lyrics are akin to both For Your Life and Hots on for Nowhere.

Hotel Illness.  Could be a cross between elements of LZ III and PG, but it is not an imitation.  It is pure Crowes.

No Speak No Slave - This is in the spirit of Presence.  Those guitars.  So much power and wall to wall intensity.

My Morning Song - When the Levee Breaks meets In My Time of Dying meets In the Evening .  Fantastic oblique Plant type lyrics.  Great structure and arrangement.  Blistering guitar in a rock/blues tradition .  This may be the best Crowes track ever.

This album was a breath of fresh air after the insipid hair metal of the 80s.  I liked Pearl Jam back then  in 1992, but this Crowes album was rooted in rock and the blues, it was a connection to a byegone era but with a new attitude and energy.

One more great Zep like Crowes track from later - Horsehead.  Again with For Your Life type lyrics and heavy guitar/bass/drums.  When they played this with Page in 2000, it was a revelation.  To hear Jimmy jamming on this track was amazing.  My brother turned to me and said "What the hell is this??  It kicks ass !!".  He was there for Page and knew very little about the Crowes outside rock radio.