Misundersood Lyrics

Bonzo2000

I've heard Plant and Alison Krauss perform When The Levee Breaks. Alison sings the song and she says "So you go north to Chicago". Still not convinced this is what Plant sings in the original but I do seem to hear him say "north", so it's plausible.

I think that he sang in the original...Don't it make you feel bad

When you're tryin' to find your way home,

and you don't know which way to go?

If you're goin' down South

They got no work to do,

If you don't know about Chicago.

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,

Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,

When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

All last night sat on the levee and moaned,

Thinkin' about my baby and my happy home.

Going, going to Chicago... Going to Chicago...

But it makes more sense if the lyrics say...

They got no work to do,

So you go north to Chicago

which partially explains the migration to the North from the South that caused the population in the Chicago area to swell around that time.

So, Allison Krauss got it right. Most of the opportunities for employment in those days were in the North or the West. If the levee broke near your home in the South at that time, you had no home due to flooding and often no work, if you stayed in the South; so you moved North or West. It was similar to what happened during Hurricane Katrina; all of a sudden we were seeing people from Mississippi in California seeking immediate job opportunities, or people from Louisiana in Nevada looking for assistance.

encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org

The Great Migration, a long-term movement of African Americans from the South to the urban North, transformed Chicago and other northern cities between 1916 and 1970. Chicago attracted slightly more than 500,000 of the approximately 7 million African Americans who left the South during these decades. Before this migration, African Americans constituted 2 percent of Chicago's population; by 1970, they were 33 percent. What had been in the nineteenth century a largely southern and rural African American culture became a culture deeply infused with urban sensibility in the twentieth century. And what had been a marginalized population in Chicago emerged by the mid-twentieth century as a powerful force in the city's political, economic, and cultural life.

And from the 1910s to the late 1960s, African Americans migrated from the South to Chicago by the hundreds of thousands.

wiki

The history of the United States (1865–1918) covers Reconstruction, the Gilded Age, and the Progressive Era, and includes the rise of industrialization and the resulting surge of immigration in the United States. This period of rapid economic growth and soaring prosperity in the North and West (but not the South) saw the U.S. become the world's dominant economic, industrial and agricultural power, although it exercised less international influence than Britain.

I think that he sang in the original...Don't it make you feel bad

When you're tryin' to find your way home,

and you don't know which way to go?

They got no work to do,

If you don't know about Chicago.

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,

Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,

When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

Thinkin' about my baby and my happy home.

Going, going to Chicago... Going to Chicago...

But it makes more sense if the lyrics say...

They got no work to do,

So you go north to Chicago

which partially explains the migration to the North from the South that caused the population in the Chicago area to swell around that time.

So, Allison Krauss got it right. Most of the opportunities for employment in those days were in the North or the West. If the levee broke near your home in the South at that time, you had no home due to flooding and often no work, if you stayed in the South; so you moved North or West. It was similar to what happened during Hurricane Katrina; all of a sudden we were seeing people from Mississippi in California seeking immediate job opportunities, or people from Louisiana in Nevada looking for assistance.

wiki

Thanks for sharing some insight on this. That definitely seems to be the correct lyric, although I doubt that's what Plant sang on the recording.

Ramble On I heard "Gone with the evil one crept up and slipped away wiht her hair." then I found out the actually line "Gollum the evil one crept up and slipped away wiht her her yeah"

I like mine better.

• 2 weeks later...

Ramble On I heard "Gone with the evil one crept up and slipped away wiht her hair." then I found out the actually line "Gollum the evil one crept up and slipped away wiht her her yeah"

I like mine better.

Sometimes the funny versions we come up with ourselves are just too funny to hate. It's even hard to stop hearing my versions long after I have learned the real lyrics. :rolleyes:

Another one for me was in "How Many More Times"

When the lyrics go:

"Ain't no need to hide, Ain't no need to run

'cause I've got you in the sights of my gun"

I always used to hear:

"Ain't no need to hide, Ain't no need to run

'cause I've got you in my sights....oh my...GGIIIRRRRLLLLLLLL!!!"

• 1 month later...

I was talking w/ a friend of mine last night that is an old Rock & Roll DJ.

She asked me what my take on STH was? She quoted lyrics; "when she gets there she knows if the "Stars are all Close" with a word she can get what she came for...".

She said her take was that it was all about the ultimate groupie.

Now, I know those are not the lyrics I have come to know and love, can anyone shed light on why a Rock & Roll DJ of that era and who owns so much LZ memorabilia would come up with something so off the wall????

Is there something to her comment that I am not privy to? ty

• 3 months later...

"With a purple operator and a 50-cent head" (I'm still not exactly sure what the real lyrics are, but I don't listen to Livin' Lovin' Maid very often, lol)

:lol: Me too! I have thought that forever until I decided to look up lyrics. "With a purple umbrella and a 50 cent hat" are the correct lyrics.

• 6 months later...

The Crunge

"tell you one thing that you really ought to know ooh!

She's my lover baby and I love her so and

She's the one that really makes me whirl and twirl!"

My version

tell you one thing that you really ought to know ooh!

She's my lover baby and I love her so and

She's the one that really makes me lawrence welk

:wacko:

• 1 month later...

At first, I always heard 'please, hey, would we care' from Misty Mountain Hop as 'please, hey, whoopie cat'.

And...

'Still by the firelight, and purple moonlight. I hear the rested rivers call' from The Rover as 'Stare by the pond light, and Papa's moonlight. I hear the rusted reversed call'. blink.gif

Are you ... me ???? :blink:

There's a part in Custard Pie which I can't understand at all. A site says it's "I'll chew on a piece of your custard pie", I'm still not sure... :unsure:

i havent got it from robert of course, but i think it is id sure love a iece of your custard ie...

sorry, the letter that rhymes with c and d and b .... wont work on my keyboard

:lol: Me too! I have thought that forever until I decided to look up lyrics. "With a purple umbrella and a 50 cent hat" are the correct lyrics.

I always thought it was "with a purple umbrella and a fifth in hand"

Still learning.

It weren't to long 'till I found out that people need my daddy out :lol:

Hah, that reminds me that waaay back in the day I thought it was "It's been so long for I found out what people need by dining out" :lol:

i havent got it from robert of course, but i think it is id sure love a iece of your custard ie...

sorry, the letter that rhymes with c and d and b .... wont work on my keyboard

That happened to me at work once, and the IT person popped that one key off, cleaned it, put it back and it worked again! :) Maybe some compressed air might help?

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking w/ a friend of mine last night that is an old Rock & Roll DJ.

She asked me what my take on STH was? She quoted lyrics; "when she gets there she knows if the "Stars are all Close" with a word she can get what she came for...".

She said her take was that it was all about the ultimate groupie.

Now, I know those are not the lyrics I have come to know and love, can anyone shed light on why a Rock & Roll DJ of that era and who owns so much LZ memorabilia would come up with something so off the wall????

Is there something to her comment that I am not privy to? ty

Maybe the song has some special meaning to her that we will never really understand? Perhaps she considers herself the ultimate groupie not so much in a physically consumated sort of way but in more of a metaphysical way?

In any event, welcome to the forum!

I used to think in the song How Many More Times when he says "They call me the hunter" that he was saying "hot dog" instead of "hunter." Hot dog meaning a hot shot and not a pork link of course.

in the song rock & roll

the real lyrics: i can't count the tears of a life with no love.

what i thought they said: i'll kick off your tits i'm alive with your love.

ha ha ha ha

after i read the lyrics, only then did i realize why my friends looked at me the way they did. (and laughed)

-blue skies

Archived