How O2 Was Picked for Reunion Concert

The article failed to mention Jimmy auditioned no less than six different sound systems for their concert at the venue.

Thanks for adding more info Steve.

I think that they were just covering how it all began, as particular as Jimmy is surely lots of time and research was done before the final ok. Your comment validates that! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
There's also the simple fact that the 02 is the biggest indoor arena outside of football stadiums here in the UK.
I always assumed it was the size of the venue, and the fact that it's a very popular and well known place too. But it's crazy to think about how they could of played, and sold out, any place they really wanted.

I'm sure that originally it was to be a two-nighter at the Royal Albert Hall, with Cream as the potential other headliners. Jimmy saw a number of bands/acts at the O2 that summer, including Prince and Snow Patrol, to check out the sound.

"It was moved to the O2 Arena and seemed to be becoming overly commercial." -- Jack Bruce (Cream)

"It was moved to the O2 Arena and seemed to be becoming overly commercial." -- Jack Bruce (Cream)

Jack is just biiter about no more Cream shows. Ginger is on film in NYC during the Oct MSG 2005 shows saying that he was done dealing with Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Any reason why the UK was picked over the U.S. for the show. Perhaps in NYC at MSG?

Although, they were very popular in the UK, they were even more so in the USA as album sales back it up. Even when you factor in the population of the two countries.

Any reason why the UK was picked over the U.S. for the show. Perhaps in NYC at MSG?

Although, they were very popular in the UK, they were even more so in the USA as album sales back it up. Even when you factor in the population of the two countries.

I'd assume just because they are all Englishmen, it's not like they did it for the money themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe in view of the poignancy of the event, they wanted to avoid firecrackers, bottle rockets and drunken rednecks?

Right, because not only are you going to find "drunken rednecks" in NYC, it's also going to magically become 1977 again. Concert crowds nowadays, at least in my experience, are a bit more civilized than they used to be.

Hi Jahfin,all,

Zeppelin were "great" on their own. Plus, it made complete sense to have the concert on their home turf.

Maybe,...if I may disagree,...Led Zeppelin made 'it' in the US(how many tours did they do?),signed a record deal with Atlantic,in NYC and Ahmet Eretgun was a US citizen.

No regrets that Zep did the 02 show on their home turf,I could not have seen them at MSG either,......

KB

Hi Jahfin,all,

Maybe,...if I may disagree,...Led Zeppelin made 'it' in the US(how many tours did they do?),signed a record deal with Atlantic,in NYC and Ahmet Eretgun was a US citizen.

No regrets that Zep did the 02 show on their home turf,I could not have seen them at MSG either,......

KB

My post says nothing about where Zeppelin "made it", I said they were "'great' on their own" and that it "made complete sense to have the concert on their home turf".

Great on their own? Why, at the time they could not make it on their 'home turf?

Neither of those things have anything to do with the point I was making. They were great with or without their worldwide audience. Since they're from the UK it made complete sense to hold the concert there.

• 4 weeks later...

Remember, it was about honouring Ahmet Ertegun and there had already been a memorial concert for him in New York that April. I've read conflicting accounts about whose idea it was for this one, Robert certainly mentioned Ahmet's widow asking them to play. A lot of his most successful acts were British and it is fitting that they had the chance to honour him in London. Of course, once word got out that Zeppelin were playing, that overtook everything else...

Also, if they had played the show in the US, you would probably be squabbling about why they chose LA over NYC, or vice-versa. What's the big deal anyway? It doesn't cost that much to fly to the UK, and it would have been an opportunity for some people who had never been outside of the US before to visit a country with a rich cultural history.

Well that and their 2 previous high profle reunions were held in the States. Live Aid and the Atlantic Records 40th.

The only squabbling I've ever heard about those 2 shows from pretty much everyone was that both shows were pretty rusty.

It has always been my impression that the concert was moved to the O2 when Zeppelin came onboard due to the potential size of the audience. RAH would have been nostalgic for them but it is tiny compared to the O2. They would have had to play every night for a week just to keep up with the demand and they still couldn't achieve that at the O2.

As far as the locations is concerned, it was best for Zeppelin to have it in London also because of logistics. Jimmy's lives there with his children, Jonesy lives nearby with his wife, Robert and Jason have family in England. They probably wanted to stay close to home and have a tight control over their rehearsals but also the communication with those in charge with the concert. They were not about to take any chances with this reunion.

I hate the US VS. UK fans crap. The band was loved on both sides of the Atlantic and any kind or arguing over who loved them best is just a pissing contest.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the big deal anyway? It doesn't cost that much to fly to the UK, and it would have been an opportunity for some people who had never been outside of the US before to visit a country with a rich cultural history.

Excuse me? It cost my wife and I over $2000 for two tourist-class round-trip tickets from IAH Houston Tx to London Heathrow last September/October when we went to bask in some of that "rich cultural history" at the Hell Fire Club Caves in West Wycombe, Bucks, not exactly the toppermost of the tourist season. And I won't even *mention* what Hotels and Meals go for in London, the costs are GHASTLY!

• 3 months later...

Archived