Led Zeppelin Reunion Show Too Heavy For Robert Plant

Virginia

Re; the futility of arguing with the self-righteous - I feel like John Wilkes Booth looking at his hands in those final seconds...

Love,

Billy

With all due respect Billy, you can't respond to people like you have in this thread and expect them to just listen up an accept what your saying .FWIW, I can't get away with it either !

Well this is from a new interview of Jason.

How has it all been for you emotionally?

It’s been very tough. I’m going to sound like a crybaby, but I get choked up trying to explain it. This is very dear to me. And one of the reasons I won’t be telling stories live is I don’t think I’d get through it, especially with people cheering. I’d be in bits. I’m choking up now just talking about it. It’s just the way I am. Even when we were rehearsing Stairway to Heaven for the (London show), we came to the drum part and I kinda got choked. Robert saw I was sad, so he joked, ‘Erm, you’re not going to do that on the night, are you? Because there’s nothing worse than watching a fat bald drummer cry.’ Jimmy went, ‘Have some compassion, Robert.’ And he said, ‘Well, he’s stupid, blubbering over a bloody song.’ But it was just his way of lightening the load. Robert felt the heaviness — he just recently said the whole thing was too heavy for him, and that’s part of the reason he couldn’t go on with it. Now I get it.

Would this put an end of the speculations what Robert meant with "too heavy" ?

I have no doubt that someone would fault him for calling Stairway a bloody song though. :rolleyes:

Well this is from a new interview of Jason.

Would this put an end of the speculations what Robert meant with "too heavy" ?

I have no doubt that someone would fault him for calling Stairway a bloody song though. :rolleyes:

Thanks Glicine. Lovely quote xx

After reading how he felt about the reunion, I feel so sad.

I am sure everything about it was "Heavy" for him, the music, the crowd, old memories of a best friend. T bone Burnett said Robert seemed to channel Boham from the grave when he played some old Zep songs with Alison. Indeed he did, that bond was very strong musically and emotionally.

Not only that, Zeppelin days were not all that good, loosing a son ,a best friend and a wife.

That's enough to break any person.

Gives me chills.:(

I hope Robert finds happiness in whatever he does.

After reading how he felt about the reunion, I feel so sad.

I am sure everything about it was "Heavy" for him, the music, the crowd, old memories of a best friend. T bone Burnett said Robert seemed to channel Boham from the grave when he played some old Zep songs with Alison. Indeed he did, that bond was very strong musically and emotionally.

Not only that, Zeppelin days were not all that good, loosing a son ,a best friend and a wife.

That's enough to break any person.

Gives me chills.:(

I hope Robert finds happiness in whatever he does.

I think Robert has found happiness post Zep throughout all his musical experiences.

if and when Jimmy releases something new and hits the road a lot of these threads will dry up.

That 'll depend on whether or not it's any good :lol: .

Just look at the energy and stamina it took to do those three and a half hour concerts back in the 70s. And just imagine having to do it back to back nights! Especially when you look at Page and the stamina it took and the high energy level. Nobody is ever going to tell me that Hendrix or any other guitarist can touch Jimmy. Be it his writing, the complexity of his playing ( I mean, try and compare what he plays to ACDC or Black Sabbath). Joke. But back on topic, Robert had to realize that age had caught up to them to a degree and it must have been disheartening to a degree. And then the thoughts of Bonzo not being there. Lets face it, Bonxo's tragic death hit Plant the hardest. If anyone was disappointed greatly by the non reunion tour it must have been Jason. Of course Jimmy too. I just wish they had done maybe two hour sets and a few new songs. I couldnt expect them to play three and a half hours like they did in the day, including the night I saw them in May of 77. I will still dream that there will be a change of heart. Hey, all things are possible. Just look at the recent developements with Pink Floyd.

Not saying Robert wasn't deeply affected by Bonzo's death, but it sent Jimmy into a near fatal spiral of drugs/depression that took him four years to get out of.

Just look at the energy and stamina it took to do those three and a half hour concerts back in the 70s. And just imagine having to do it back to back nights! Especially when you look at Page and the stamina it took and the high energy level. Nobody is ever going to tell me that Hendrix or any other guitarist can touch Jimmy. Be it his writing, the complexity of his playing ( I mean, try and compare what he plays to ACDC or Black Sabbath). Joke. But back on topic, Robert had to realize that age had caught up to them to a degree and it must have been disheartening to a degree. And then the thoughts of Bonzo not being there. Lets face it, Bonxo's tragic death hit Plant the hardest. If anyone was disappointed greatly by the non reunion tour it must have been Jason. Of course Jimmy too. I just wish they had done maybe two hour sets and a few new songs. I couldnt expect them to play three and a half hours like they did in the day, including the night I saw them in May of 77. I will still dream that there will be a change of heart. Hey, all things are possible. Just look at the recent developements with Pink Floyd.

Not saying Robert wasn't deeply affected by Bonzo's death, but it sent Jimmy into a near fatal spiral of drugs/depression that took him four years to get out of.

Jimmy WAS in bad shape - but he was on that road waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before Bonzo's death.

And before anyone says anything - I'm not joining in the 'Who was most affected by Bonzo's death?" chat here - it's futile IMO.

After considerable consideration, I believe it's just Robert's sense of humor,

He's just kidding about the whole thing.

It's just his way of saying he's lightened up musically to attempt appeasing the heavy rock fans out there. And like he kids with Jason, surely he'll rock hard again....someday. He's just laughing at the fat bald fans crying who brought their earplugs to recent concerts but didn't need them.

Oh Robert...he's a jokester alright !

Don't know whether this has already been posted, but here's part of Jasons interview with Rolling Stone.......

“That one [reunion] concert was the highlight of my life, and I know that sounds kind of sad,” says Bonham.

Robert Plant, however, refused. “I’ve had many a talk with Robert over these last couple of years about why we didn’t carry on,” Bonham explains. “He said to me, ‘You were great all night and I love ya and your dad would be so proud of you, but Led Zeppelin was John. We had something very, very special and I’d like to keep that part of my life very, very special.’ I dug what he said, but at the same time I wanted us to go on.”

After considerable consideration, I believe it's just Robert's sense of humor,

He's just kidding about the whole thing.

It's just his way of saying he's lightened up musically to attempt appeasing the heavy rock fans out there. And like he kids with Jason, surely he'll rock hard again....someday. He's just laughing at the fat bald fans crying who brought their earplugs to recent concerts but didn't need them.

Oh Robert...he's a jokester alright !

Pretty clear here that you are trying to stirr things up and you are ignoring the CLEAR explanation of what Robert said that has been presented to you on a silver platter - so I truly hope everyone just ignores you.

Pretty clear here that you are trying to stirr things up and you are ignoring the CLEAR explanation of what Robert said that has been presented to you on a silver platter - so I truly hope everyone just ignores you.

I guess it's nice to know that everyone else can analyze the comments and give their CLEAR explanation of what Robert said.

I'd say the ONLY CLEAR explanation of his comments could come from him. All the rest is just speculation.

There are many posts throughout this forum with comments that are ambiguous with quotes etc....have any been confirmed, denied or explained by one of the band members ? Lots of music sites have band members actively participating and NOT letting rumors or speculation go unexplained. What about here ? I suppose it'll always be the Monday morning quarterbacks laying down the facts. :rolleyes:

Even if Jason is not a "band member" of Led Zeppelin, I think he knows Robert well enough, and as he said, has had many talks with Robert in the last years, to get what Robert was talking about with the word "too heavy".

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Plant said the O2 concert "...was really the best Led Zeppelin gig since 1975, to me. But, of course, it wasn't Led Zeppelin..." in this article. No reunion tour in sight it seems...:(

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_led-zeppelin-no-longer-the-real-led-zeppelin-robert-plant_1424776

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Plant said the O2 concert "...was really the best Led Zeppelin gig since 1975, to me. But, of course, it wasn't Led Zeppelin..." in this article. No reunion tour in sight it seems...:(

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_led-zeppelin-no-longer-the-real-led-zeppelin-robert-plant_1424776

....CH1204, not to derail the thread, but still Zep Related, you can see the Post 1972 Mumbai, the precise area Zep visited in their legendary years, this is how The Ocean/Surrounding Area looks today....

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/slideshow_on-screen-behenjis-off-screen-hotties_1416277-2#top

Even if Jason is not a "band member" of Led Zeppelin, I think he knows Robert well enough, and as he said, has had many talks with Robert in the last years, to get what Robert was talking about with the word "too heavy".

Hi 'glicine'

You know the real funny thing about all this fuss about RP use of the word "Heavy" is that he may have meant it as a mickey take of Jason's weight. :o

"Even when we were rehearsing Stairway to Heaven for the (London show), we came to the drum part and I kinda got choked. Robert saw I was sad, so he joked, 'Erm, you're not going to do that on the night, are you? Because there's nothing worse than watching a fat bald drummer cry.' Jimmy went, 'Have some compassion, Robert.' And he said, 'Well, he's stupid, blubbering over a bloody song.'

But it was just his way of lightening the load. Robert felt the heaviness — he just recently said the whole thing was too heavy for him, and that's part of the reason he couldn't't go on with it. Now I get it."

Were they giving Jason the bumps for doing a great job? or maybe it was for his birthday and RP pulled a muscle, you know how old age affects some people, I've even know some people to play Country and Western on tour rather than Rock because of their age, yes old age does funny things to some people, it can make some bits wrinkle while other bits turn grey or fall out or even shrink :o it can even strip you of your memory and all the great things that you did in your youth.

Yes you leave this world as you came in to it, Bald, Gummy, Unable to Walk, Incontinent, Incoherent, but worst of all is the desire that old people have to start to like and play Country and Western Music, its not too late Robert, you still have your hair, not sure about the rest though but this desire of yours to sing Country and Western Music, well it worries the hell outta me. :bagoverhead:

Regards, Danny

Archived