Led Zeppelin Reunion Show Too Heavy For Robert Plant

Virginia

More than 'making up shit' as far as terms, it's all just semantics. If a person thinks it's bluegrass and then told it's not, do you think that's gonna really change their view on the music ?

I've seen people say it's OK not to like the music or direction Plant is taking. OK, then they sorta want you to shut up about it and maybe they don't say much to you other than insinuate that. BUT when someone goes on about it, just like those who LIKE it, then they're jumped on as being ignorant because of their terminology and even their dislike of the music, whatever you want to call it.

Some people simply don't like it and say little, then others don't like it and they expound. And the changes AREN'T exciting for everyone.

Most if not all those bands Jahfin mentioned in some kind of 'Americana' umbrella if you will, may not float one's boat at all. And for Jim Lauderdale to say anything that's not for mainstream radio is Americana ! ? What ? That in itself is such a laugh.

So what if Raising Sand is called bluegrass or country or whatever. If you're in America, does not liking it make you un-American or just un-Americana ? :lol:

The term I saw, "Bold"....is a misnomer in my book. The music isn't BOLD it's very tame I believe. And if you like tame vs. wild...then go for it.

More than 'making up shit' as far as terms, it's all just semantics. If a person thinks it's bluegrass and then told it's not, do you think that's gonna really change their view on the music ?

I've seen people say it's OK not to like the music or direction Plant is taking. OK, then they sorta want you to shut up about it and maybe they don't say much to you other than insinuate that. BUT when someone goes on about it, just like those who LIKE it, then they're jumped on as being ignorant because of their terminology and even their dislike of the music, whatever you want to call it.

Some people simply don't like it and say little, then others don't like it and they expound. And the changes AREN'T exciting for everyone.

Most if not all those bands Jahfin mentioned in some kind of 'Americana' umbrella if you will, may not float one's boat at all. And for Jim Lauderdale to say anything that's not for mainstream radio is Americana ! ? What ? That in itself is such a laugh.

So what if Raising Sand is called bluegrass or country or whatever. If you're in America, does not liking it make you un-American or just un-Americana ? :lol:

The term I saw, "Bold"....is a misnomer in my book. The music isn't BOLD it's very tame I believe. And if you like tame vs. wild...then go for it.

Great post Oracle that what I was trying to convey..

Ninelives obviously the RS shows floated your boat since you saw it 4 times once was enough for the yippy ky yay show for me.

I also saw this round with Band of Joy and I liked it much better than RS but in my heart even in a lower key I will always love Robert as a rocker and wish that was what he still did. That is my opinion but I did go to a show to at least form an individual opinion without having others cram theirs in my face just because they think they can..

Stirring the pot not even speaking my mind on an open forum you bet, just like any member should be able to comfortably do.

From the Wall Street Journal, on the definition of Americana:

http://online.wsj.com/article/NA_WSJ_PUB:SB10001424052970204518504574421372974268140.html

Though the Americana Music Association celebrated its 10th anniversary here last week, few proponents of Americana music know how to describe it.

"I have no idea," said Rosanne Cash when I asked.

"I still don't know to this day," replied Buddy Miller, who was nominated for four AMA awards, won three and ran the house band at last week's awards ceremony at the Ryman Auditorium.

"If you look up the definition of the word 'Americana,' there isn't any," said Asleep at the Wheel's Ray Benson from the Ryman stage.

Earlier in the day, WSM disc jockey Eddie Stubbs reminded an audience at the convention center here that it was Hank Williams's birthday and, in a voice as soothing as an old sweater, added: "If he emerged today, country music would ignore him and Americana would embrace him."

As much time and money I have spent supporting the nonprofit Americana Music Association, I could not begin to tell you what it is, so I find it reassuring that the musicians performing in this genre also have no definition. What I do know for a fact is that the majority of the musicians performing in this genre are great human beings--down to earth, without the entourages and backstage hanger-ons and private jets etc. If they are not on the road they are most likely found performing benefit shows at Nashville venues, trying to raise money for flood victims, cancer victims, to save somebody from foreclosure-the list goes on and on.

Great post Oracle that what I was trying to convey..

Ninelives obviously the RS shows floated your boat since you saw it 4 times once was enough for the yippy ky yay show for me.

I also saw this round with Band of Joy and I liked it much better than RS but in my heart even in a lower key I will always love Robert as a rocker and wish that was what he still did. That is my opinion but I did go to a show to at least form an individual opinion without having others cram theirs in my face just because they think they can..

Stirring the pot not even speaking my mind on an open forum you bet, just like any member should be able to comfortably do.

I think you are Oracle.

I'm absolutely amazed you have the gall to say this, and you know why, "Oh My."

Plus, nobody is bullying anybody else here, and I'm getting very tired of this victim mentality.

I think you are Oracle.

hahaha that comment is so far off it is pitiful. Aquamarine whatever "gall" you are referring to I haven't a clue but since you seem to know everything about everyone enjoy your fantasy and cackle away as you peck apart the next person or "victim" when they express their differing thoughts here.

...and every member does. No one's saying people can't express themselves here. We all have our own opinions but some members are severely misinformed and/or apparently lack the knowledge to understand that exploring new musical territory is exactly what Led Zeppelin was founded upon. What Plant is doing is no different so when someone calls Raising Sand a "bluegrass" or "country" album I have to question whether they've actually even listened to it or not because it is certainly neither of those genres. I don't hear any yodeling, fiddle breakdowns, banjo solos or anyone exclaiming "Kippy-Ki-Ay!" so when people mention these things I automatically know they haven't even bothered to listen to the record. It's obvious at that point that they're here just to keep things stirred up. How about actually listening to the album and then bring an informed opinion to the table or is that too just too difficult?

I don't even think that Robert exploring new ground is what has some people disliking this adventure, it's the adventure itself. Why do people keep thinking that just because it's similar to Zep's variety of exploration, so to speak, that it would mean that a listener likes it.

And I beg to differ on the comment about people feeling at ease to speak out. I've seen several posts, one in particular lately, posted as saying that she, Deborah J and Gigi and maybe Buckeye (I believe, were afraid to post out of fear of getting pounded in a thread where there was much dissention. So it may not only be those whose comments might be considered 'negative', but also from those who want to chime in 'positively'. The fear to speak out has been expressed from 'both sides'.

And I hope that Oh My being called Oracle doesn't direct a bunch of pouncing onto them. All of a sudden someone posts a similar sentiment or uses some of the same words then they're "identified" and it all goes downhill from there. I've seen it too many times.

Hi All,

Now i know that the "Joke Police" are doing overtime this week, but when do the "Insulting and Trolling Police" come on duty as this member is due for a shake down real soon? :angry:

Rules you may be unaware of.

"There will be no racial, ethnic, gender based insults or any other personal discriminations."

"There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory."

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Sam, if you need a replacement Deputy anytime, i have the time, inclination and energy to Police this forum like a Bat out of Hell. ;)

Regards, littledan

Troll-B-Gone.jpg

This usually works. :D

R B)

...and every member does. No one's saying people can't express themselves here. We all have our own opinions but some members are severely misinformed and/or apparently lack the knowledge to understand that exploring new musical territory is exactly what Led Zeppelin was founded upon. What Plant is doing is no different so when someone calls Raising Sand a "bluegrass" or "country" album I have to question whether they've actually even listened to it or not because it is certainly neither of those genres. I don't hear any yodeling, fiddle breakdowns, banjo solos or anyone exclaiming "Kippy-Ki-Ay!" so when people mention these things I automatically know they haven't even bothered to listen to the record. It's obvious at that point that they're here just to keep things stirred up. How about actually listening to the album and then bring an informed opinion to the table or is that too just too difficult?

To keep going around with again this all knowing attitude is redundant. You seem to think that you know I have never listened to this CD well your flat wrong been there done that. I also saw the show and yes there was fiddling and twanging he closed with One Woman Man and it was as country as country could be. I didn't like it nor the reworked Led Zeppelin songs When the Levee Breaks or Battle of Everemore. Now since this is two years ago it is over and I hope it never comes back again.

It closing this post and being done arguing a moot point I want to say thank you to the many pms I have received from members who feel the same way I and others who have dared to express as I did a personal disliking of Robert's recent musical ventures after actually going to a concert and wished they could freely post their thoughts but know a feeding frenzy would set upon them. It is very disheartening this forum can be so inviting with knowledge and topics but because of a group of people can also be so hostile and these very people then say I am so tired of the victim playing or the name calling starts as they crucify with some comment for public humiliation to shut you up. You know who you all are. I said it before and saying it again that is why some members go else where instead of joining in here anymore.

Categories of rock are scarce right now, as far as charismatic groups go. I agree that individuals are misinformed; however, it is a matter of taste in music or beer haha. Rap is really hollow though poetic, doubtful the bling bling will ever actually go out of style. Classic rock is way better, I think bluegrass is a trendy integration, an analogy to karoke. Catchy rifs are right on, I sense they're attracting a different audience because the name is very lighthearted, reminding me of Creed ah..not quite. They showed promise but got too wishy-washy so I'm not going to view music I do not prefer as trainwreck material likewise, a mix is in order!

I said it before and saying it again that is why some members go else where instead of joining in here anymore.

You don't know that. If you're really a new member and not a former member under yet another new alias, there's no way for you to make that kind of statement. If you'd also bothered to read my post responding to this point the first time you made it, you'd also see that there are literally dozens of reasons why people may not post here anymore.

Categories of rock are scarce right now, as far as charismatic groups go. I agree that individuals are misinformed; however, it is a matter of taste in music or beer haha. Rap is really hollow though poetic, doubtful the bling bling will ever actually go out of style. Classic rock is way better, I think bluegrass is a trendy integration, an analogy to karoke. Catchy rifs are right on, I sense they're attracting a different audience because the name is very lighthearted, reminding me of Creed ah..not quite. They showed promise but got too wishy-washy so I'm not going to view music I do not prefer as trainwreck material likewise, a mix is in order!

What rock are you living under? "Categories of rock are scarce right now?" If anything, there's even more subgenres of rock n' roll than ever before and they're growing all of the time. "Bluegrass is a trendy integration, an analogy to karoke (sic)", where in the fuck do you get this stuff from?

And I beg to differ on the comment about people feeling at ease to speak out. I've seen several posts, one in particular lately, posted as saying that she, Deborah J and Gigi and maybe Buckeye (I believe, were afraid to post out of fear of getting pounded in a thread where there was much dissention.

Hey now, Oracle! I’m not “afraid” to post anything anywhere. I just choose to stay away from the negativity on this forum, that’s all. I don’t have any desire to sit around and dissect a statement made by Robert Plant or to argue with anyone whose opinion is different from mine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I also don’t enjoy conversing with forum members who simply want to argue for the sake of arguing. I'm just a fan of Led Zeppelin and its members and enjoy the music made by all of them, including Raising Sand and Band of Joy and TCV.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic! :whistling: Back to the debate for those of you who choose to participate.

Hey now, Oracle! I'm not "afraid" to post anything anywhere. I just choose to stay away from the negativity on this forum, that's all. I don't have any desire to sit around and dissect a statement made by Robert Plant or to argue with anyone whose opinion is different from mine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I also don't enjoy conversing with forum members who simply want to argue for the sake of arguing. I'm just a fan of Led Zeppelin and its members and enjoy the music made by all of them, including Raising Sand and Band of Joy and TCV.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic! :whistling: Back to the debate for those of you who choose to participate.

Oh...OK, great then !

I'd just thought I read that you posted about staying away from some thread. I guess I had it wrong, maybe it was one of the other girls.

Lot's of people DO like to participate in spirited debates, both pro and con, so if you're ever inclined...hop on in then ! :D

Be a participant, not a spectator. B)

Aquamarine whatever "gall" you are referring to I haven't a clue but since you seem to know everything about everyone enjoy your fantasy and cackle away as you peck apart the next person or "victim" when they express their differing thoughts here.

I rarely post here these days, although I've been interested in the news about Robert's current tour. I have never attacked anyone or said anyone isn't allowed to express an opinion. You've been around under another name long enough to know that (and to know exactly what gall I'm referring to). If you can't take people disagreeing with your viewpoint, don't get into a discussion.

One last point: if you want respect, show some. You might be surprised to find that probably most of us prefer Robert as a rocker, but we don't descend to the level of misrepresenting and making fun of his current musical choices.

Hello All !

I thought Gigi had a great post^^^. I enjoy having conversations that are civilized. I just do not like to participate in what becomes a bashing contest. We can all agree to disagree on things and still do it respectfully IMHO. I just refuse to let myself get to this point anymore over music: :D

:P

I had to remind myself what the title of this thread was. No mention of bluegrass, Raising Sand Band of Joy etc in the title anywhere.

Its about Robert Plant expressing how he felt after arguably one of the biggesst shows of his career and the emotions he felt and the need to retreat from it straight after.

But once again the stuff gets turned on its head cos some people don't like what he is doing but feel its ok to attack him and anyone who respects his decisions what music he plays.

It smacks of " if it isn't Zeppelin it isnt worth listening to and if he won't do Zep with Zep then he can go to hell"

The beraters become whiners and then attack those who still support what he does then the beraters plead bullying is occurring. Grow up people!! Some of you wouldnt have coped withthe hatred whaich appeared when the 02 show and tickets lottery were announced, if you think this is nasty you thi spales into insignificance to what went on then. If people don't like what he does then fine, leave it alone no more to be said but no matter if everyone here pleaded with him to get back with Jimmy et al it wouldn't sway his decision to follow his musical interests or heritage.

If someone told me how to live my life and to forget what i want because they wanted me to just do stuff for them all the time they would get the "go fuck yourself" reply.

I choose to stay more detatched in these fuckwit arguments these days but I know if I joined in the I would be as cutting as I have been before ( which isn't pretty)and would't give a damn if some of you felt upset. But I am mellower these days. :)

So is this thread about the 02 show or what?????? :blink:<_<:slapface:

Troll-B-Gone.jpg

This usually works. :D

R B)

Hi Reids,

That was a good belly laugh you gave the BIGDAN Family, thanks for the gift, can i order a ton of the stuff? we need it on this site, those fcuking Trolls keep springing up everywhere no matter what Admin do, and they do do a lot to quell the infestation, but it sometimes takes a little time to identify the little Weeds.

Regards, littledan

Archived