Led Zeppelin Reunion Show Too Heavy For Robert Plant

Virginia

As far as something new.

The band could've done more than just "For Your Life" as far as songs they'd never done before live. (As far as we know)

How many songs in the Zep repertoire are there they apparently never did ? LOTS !!

So, for the songs they never did live and only spent time in the studio on them, the working up and performing of the unplayed songs WOULD be NEW, and I would think EXCITING !! If what they did at the 02 wasn't exciting, and they were 90% tunes they'd done before, what's the point of even that one off ?

And maybe he didn't really mean he doesn't want to do HEAVY music anymore, heavy in the sense of loud and raucous, but his last two musical shindigs ain't been HEAVY ! And I don't mean Dr. Brown's curiosity of Marty's heavy. ;)

As far as something new.

The band could've done more than just "For Your Life" as far as songs they'd never done before live. (As far as we know)

How many songs in the Zep repertoire are there they apparently never did ? LOTS !!

So, for the songs they never did live and only spent time in the studio on them, the working up and performing of the unplayed songs WOULD be NEW, and I would think EXCITING !! If what they did at the 02 wasn't exciting, and they were 90% tunes they'd done before, what's the point of even that one off ?

And maybe he didn't really mean he doesn't want to do HEAVY music anymore, heavy in the sense of loud and raucous, but his last two musical shindigs ain't been HEAVY ! And I don't mean Dr. Brown's curiosity of Marty's heavy. ;)

Even if they had've played songs not previously done live except for some modern covers (unlikely!), they still would've been old music and not anything new, unreleased or not.

Since when has Led Zeppelin had to be totally heavy anyway?

Just because Plant is playing "softer" roots music these days doesn't mean it would not be powerful live and he doesn't mind volime either.

It's obvious it would have been a highly emotive experience for them all for getting out there in memory of the bloke (Ahmet) who along with Grant was responsible for getting the music out there in the first place and especially Robert knowing that his best mate wasn't behind him, and that would be HEAVY!.

How apropos is it that the website that pulled Plant's quotes from the Mojo interview is called "spinner", and henceforth

people are spinning his comments every which way.

Either reading comprehension is WAY down or there are some people who will try to twist Robert's words in any way

they can to criticise him.

Having just read the Mojo article it is OBVIOUS that when he says the O2 reunion was "too heavy", he was referring to

the emotions of the event NOT the music itself.

And I did not detect one slur against Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones or Jason in the whole article...so give it a rest people.

Look, in the whole 30 years since John Bonham's passing, the times that the remaining members reunited for a gig were

usually when people least expected it. Not that I have any particular insight to Percy's psyche, but I tend to think that

the more people bother him about a reunion tour, the more determined he is to resist the idea. Conversely, if everyone,

fans and media, would just shut up about the Led Zeppelin reunion for a year or 2 and let him go on with his current projects

without going "yeah, that's great but when are you gonna reunite with Jimmy and the gang?", then perhaps maybe he might

sit back one day and reflect how much fun he had at the O2 reunion and think that now that no one was expecting it,

this would be the perfect time to reassemble the boys for another go.

But since nobody ever gives him room to breathe without pushing the Zeppelin reunion in his face and reading imaginary slights

into his comments, I don't blame the guy one bit for not signing on for the three-ring circus such a tour would undoubtably be.

Great post :beer:

As far as something new.

I would have like to hear them do Train Kept A Rollin' and other blues numbers mixed with a few new songs or new covers of old songs like they did in the beggining.

If Robert likes "roots' there are plenty that would still work within a Zep concert. I always thought that the stuff they did within Whole Lotta Love live was both fun and entertaining.

As far as something new.

Here's a few 'nevers' and 'rarelys' that would surely go down a storm:

The Rover

In The Light

Houses of the Holy

Wanton Song

When the Levee Breaks

Custard Pie

Night Flight

Down By the Seaside

Royal Orleans

Candy Store Rock

Tea For One

South Bound Saurez

Fool in the Rain

Carouselambra

I'm Gonna Crawl

Wearing & Tearing

Ozone Baby

Your Time Is Gonna Come

Living Loving Maid (well, why not?)

Hey Hey What Can I Do

Hats Off

D'Yer Mak'er

Hmm, sounds like there's a whole brand new set right there, just waiting to rock the planet. Lots of them are suited to Plant's lower register, and several could easily be adapted to a more rootsy style, eg Levee, which on its few live outings in its original format was just a mess. And nobody's insisting that they play all the 'regulars' in their original formats either. Since Plant appears to be nailing his flag to the 'interpretative artist' mast, I'm sure he'd be more than capable of re-vamping a few of the classics. 'New light through old windows' and all that, yes? And get this: he might even ENJOY the project.

No wonder he feels like he's banging his head against a brick wall. Every time he explains himself, he gets another "Yeah, but......"

I wonder how you would all feel if you constantly had thousands of people telling you how to both do your job and live your life?

Yes, we can all decide for him what the set list should be and what songs he could re-interpret and which musicians he could/should play with.

But he's a grown man and an artist, who will make his own choices. Bottom line.

Yes they could play many songs they never played live. I think i read they actually rehearsed some of the stuff you(Occam's razor) mentioned. And they didn't just play For your life for the first time as Oracle said. It was also Good times bad times and Ramble on so they did try some new stuff for extra excitement!

But I think the audience would demand atleast some of the hits and playing old Zep songs like Rock and roll and Stairway might not really be the most important reason. They are great songs and Robert certainly still likes them, i'm shure!!

The main point is he doesn't want to return permanently to a project, he left so far behind, because of Bonzo's death. And Bonzo is still death, right??Bonzo was just absollutely essential!!

And the main reason that he rearranges Zep songs today in his solo carrer is because he wants to do them in the style he is currently doing with his band, but probably also because the Zep versions would remind him too much of the old times and also make demand for the reuinon even bigger!

So it's mainly the fact that Bonzo is death, combined with the fact, that ALL Zep songs are from the times of Zep, so even if they didn't play many in those days, which they could use today, it's still Zeppelins music and Robert doesn't want to return to that unless it's rearranged or played with Bonzo and there would be soooo much new material in the last 30 years, that these days Zeppelin would probably just play one song from each of the early albums and probably very short versions, because they would all be old, including Bonzo, who's playing was always very physically demanding!!

And they did a one of for Ahmet and because they did it for him and because it was a one of, it was exciting enough for Robert to do it and he even allowed it to be called Zep without Bonzo, but from that point on, it obviously wouldn't be right for Plant.

Damn, i'm really getting tired of this topic, I wish people would just stop thinking, that Robert is obliged to be in Zep and that they would realise the band sounds better on live albums and bootlegs, then the way they would on a tour these days. And they also look better on the dvd's, so for the girls it's also better, that the tour doesn't happen and the groupies are too old to lubri......

And they also look better on the dvd's, so for the girls it's also better, that the tour doesn't happen and the groupies are too old to lubri......

....cate?

Wow, I've really heard it all now. So the latest and overriding reason why they shouldn't reunite for a few shows is because they'll look dreadful for the girls, and besides, all the old groupies are desiccated and saggy?

Any 'girls' out there (young or old, moist or dry) who'd like to take issue with this?

I find it amazing that no matter what Robert says or does, people criticise him. It's like he should only do Led Zeppelin or nothing at all? I don't understand that. No one criticised John Paul Jones when he worked with bluegrass/Americana artists. No one's saying anything that he has moved on with his career. No one says anything that Jimmy has been promising a solo album for how long now and still hasn't delivered? As Knebby said, it's HIS life (Robert's) - he can do what he wants. I'm thrilled not only is he out there still passionate about recording and performing, but he's not resting on his laurels. Led Zeppelin was Led Zeppelin and they were f**king brill. But they're done and Robert AND John Paul have moved on.

Robert doesn't owe us a bloody thing - if you don't like what he's done post Zep, fine but to trash him and rip apart every word he utters (hello - he's got a sense of humor) is pointless and basically insist he should give it up or just stick with his past. How would YOU like it if people told you what to do. I don't want to relive my past. Yes I have many wonderful memories and experiences but it's over and you can't go back and expect it to be what it was.

Rant over.

....cate?

Wow, I've really heard it all now. So the latest and overriding reason why they shouldn't reunite for a few shows is because they'll look dreadful for the girls, and besides, all the old groupies are desiccated and saggy?

Any 'girls' out there (young or old, moist or dry) who'd like to take issue with this?

You gussed it yeah and i gave you plenty of good reasons, the thing about their looks and groupies is the least important and it was basicaly a joke and they could still get young girls even these days, based on who they are!

I wrote a long post and then you bother with stuff that is secondary to the music!

I agree 100% that Robert doesn't owe us anything, BUT as one of the lucky few to go to the O2 show, I can't help but think it would be nice if they had also done at least one gig over here in America (so a ton of people who couldn't afford to fly to London had a chance to see them live). America did make Led Zeppelin what they are. Still, it is what it is. JPJ and Jimmy should just tour together (with Jason if he wants in) and do mostly new music with some Zep mixed in. That way there's no pressure that this is a Zeppelin reunion without Robert, etc. They could call themselves The Refusals.:)

No wonder he feels like he's banging his head against a brick wall. Every time he explains himself, he gets another "Yeah, but......"

I wonder how you would all feel if you constantly had thousands of people telling you how to both do your job and live your life?

Yes, we can all decide for him what the set list should be and what songs he could re-interpret and which musicians he could/should play with.

Well said, Knebby. :goodpost:

R B)

I agree 100% that Robert doesn't owe us anything, BUT as one of the lucky few to go to the O2 show, I can't help but think it would be nice if they had also done at least one gig over here in America (so a ton of people who couldn't afford to fly to London had a chance to see them live). America did make Led Zeppelin what they are. Still, it is what it is. JPJ and Jimmy should just tour together (with Jason if he wants in) and do mostly new music with some Zep mixed in. That way there's no pressure that this is a Zeppelin reunion without Robert, etc. They could call themselves The Refusals.:)

Maybe one or some of them will show up for a night of the JBLZE tour this fall; who knows???

R B)

I BEG your pardon? :blink:

England basically ignored Zeppelin at the beginning. It wasn't till they came to America that they became a smash. They've said it themselves that America is where they made their money and helped them become the monsters they were in the 70's. Sorry if the truth hurts.

USA! USA! USA!

I don't blame the guy one bit for not signing on for the three-ring circus such a tour would undoubtably be.

Circus isn't the word. It would be completely ridiculous. If Zeppelin went on an 18-month global assault on the world's stadiums and arenas, by the end they would have played to about 5% of their fanbase, demand would be that high. They would have to play 20+ nights in the same venue on one leg of their tour.

England basically ignored Zeppelin at the beginning. It wasn't till they came to America that they became a smash. They've said it themselves that America is where they made their money and helped them become the monsters they were in the 70's. Sorry if the truth hurts.

USA! USA! USA!

And that's hardly surprising, given that they spent most of '69 over there, making their money.

Ever heard of the phrase 'milking it'?

USA! USA! USA!

Yes that is the truth, but it doesn't mean Robert owes any further Zep concert to USA because fo that!! And Zep can NOT exist without Bonzo!! And soon they were huge all over the world and by 1975, they could earn their money anywhere, so it's not like USA had especially good taste or something and now it can sort of demand more Zep, based on that!!

And shouting USA like it would be the greatest place on earth is ridicioulus, because it's far from that!! However the Obama administration is changing lots of things for the better!!

Yes that is the truth, but it doesn't mean Robert owes any further Zep concert to USA because fo that!! And Zep can NOT exist without Bonzo!! And soon they were huge all over the world and by 1975, they could earn their money anywhere, so it's not like USA had especially good taste or something and now it can sort of demand more Zep, based on that!!

And shouting USA like it would be the greatest place on earth is ridicioulus, because it's far from that!! However the Obama administration is changing lots of things for the better!!

:goodpost:

Never said the USA was the best but if they were going to do another show, it should be in MSG imo.

I think a lot of criticism towards Robert is coming in from the new generation of Led Zep fans. I am 18 and just discovered Zeppelin 1.5 years back :( and I cannot express how much I wish I could go back in time to the 70's or atleast have discovered Zep in time for the O2 reunion!! I wouldve gone to London from anywhere in the world if I had known!!! So yeah, even though I respect Robert's decisions, I can't help but feel exasperated by Robert's reluctance to play with the band again, considering Jimmy would do it at the drop of a hat and so would John Paul Jones. I just hope one day, they could do atleast a one-off show again for some of the newer fans :(

Thus is the nature of 'celebrity'. This is what you get when you take that path, and even more so when you have the level of success that Led Zeppelin had. He can wish for a private life, and he can wish that none of his choices are going to be 2nd quessed. But that isn't the way it works.

The devil will always get his due.

Archived