Led Zeppelin Reunion Show Too Heavy For Robert Plant

Virginia

Hi Patrycja!

I love the Page/Plant No Quarter Unledded video and songs, and I think that I like that version of "Black Dog" (which is in the special features section) better than the original Led Zeppelin version. And "Black Dog" is one of my top five favorite Zeppelin tunes.

I saw that Iron Horse had some Ozzy Osborne songs covered, too. I am going to check it out, too. Very interesting!

Always fun hearing new music!

Edited to say: It just dawned on me that the bluegrass group was called "Pickin' on Zeppelin" and this thread should be titled "Pickin' on Robert".

Hi Doc :)

Well I finally got around to Iron Horse (I always get distracted with other videos) and it was a riot! I can still picture bats, but they live. It actually works. You know how at the Grammy awards they pair up random acts and it often ends up being a terrible match? Not these. Anyway, not to go off on an unrelated tangent, so I'll just say about the bold part, it's funny 'cause it's true. Thanks for the introduction to a new (to me) musical realm. :beer:

Enough of the deny us a reunion tour crap ! That line is as old as the hills and get's thrown around here all too often. The simple fact is, some of people just don't like what RP is doing at the moment . Why in gods name is it a crime to say so ?

If that was what they said, there wouldn't be a problem.

Couple of other points

Billy M - his use of the phrase "heavy" wasn't sarcasm at all. It was relating to the enormity of the event and not the music, as has already been pointed out in this thread. And no - all the guys thought the 02 was fantastic, as did the crowd, and that has nothing to do with the DVD release. Guess you had to be there. B)

Mstork - - your theory about Jonesy not getting flack because for a year he hasn't played any Zepp songs doesn't hold up, because at the start of his solo career, Robert toured for YEARS absolutely refusing to do any Zeppelin songs in his set - and guess what? - he got shit for that too.

Dan, your rants are just ridiculous, the "two types of Zeppelin fan here" one being a prime example.

And Lakey - Pepsi is shit. :D;) xxxx

Hey everyone!

I heard a song today on Deep Tracks on Sirius Satelite Radio channel 16 that I really liked. It was "Black Dog" by Pickin' on Zeppelin, an instrumental bluegrass group. It just goes to show that Zeppelin tunes sound great a la the bluegrass genre. I looked for it on Youtube, but could only find a few other Zeppelin tunes by them. I also like thieir version of Kashmir. Robert is not the only one re-working a few Zeppelin tunes in a different musical style. Give him a break and just enjoy his music. Peace to you all!

Very cool. I heard Dread Zeppelin's "Bring it on Home" yesterday and I know Robert Plant was a big fan of theirs. Not bluegrass, reggae, but my point is he has never thought that Led Zeppelin songs were to be enshrined and forever played as they were by Zeppelin. Everyone is well aware that at least a fifth of Zeppelin songs were reworkings of old blues songs, old folk tunes, etc. We just happen to like Zeppelin's version the best. I'm sure those that originally wrote those songs and some of their fans were mighty p.o.'d when they heard what Zeppelin had "done" to them. At least until they finally got paid.

---------------

It's no big deal if someone doesn't like RP's current sound. I'm not crazy about TCV. And I'm really not liking JP's current project. :whistling: It just gets so old when every thread about RP turns into a bash. There are very few good points made on this thread, just bashing about him holding up a reunion tour, about his choice of musical direction, his method of speaking and choice of words when referring to Led Zeppelin.

Bottom line is Led Zeppelin is over. I never saw them. I was too young when they were touring, and when I was old enough Bonzo died. That was the end, they were clear about it. I knew it and everyone knew it. I have spent 30 years buying Led Zeppelin products and enjoying their music. I have never thought that they owed me anything as a result. So to the young folks who feel bad that they won't see them, get over it. Life is full of disappointments and this is minor in the larger scope of things.

To those that don't like the way RP articulates his thoughts, remember that nuances are difficult to pick up in print. So are jokes, and everyone has a different sense of humor. I mean, I don't get all of Big Dan's jokes, but at least I get that he is joking (I think).

Finally, if you don't like his current musical direction, say so and move on. But why in this thread? The topic has to do with his reaction to the 02 show. Nothing else. Stay on point. I honestly wonder if the increase in ADD is caused by the internet.

Ally! I missed this post entirely. Great question. Better question is...Why is it when someone says they do not like Robert's new work it automatically sets in a rage of defense from some people as to Roberts rights? I never once said he didn't have the right to do his own (Zeppelin) music. Yet questioned on that specific point...WTF is that all about? Help me out here Ally, you seem like an intelligent person...If I tell you I love Led Zeppelin's music, and I am a big fan of Robert's, but I do not care for his new music, or his reworking of Zeppelin stuff does that mean I am bashing him, or giving an opinion? Does it mean I said he has no right to play the music? I know these are stupid questions, and we both know the answers, but for Christ sakes people, get a grip! Not everyone is here to bash Robert! Some of us just have different tastes. It really is that simple.

Hi Zo :wave:

Yes, it really is that simple ! Even if this BOJ project never becomes one of my all time favorites, I will always look forward to what RP or any of the guy's decide offer up. After years of listening , going to Zeppelin and various solo gigs, I think we've earned the right to be a little judgemental. It may be a case of comparing apples to oranges but I happen to agree with you about some of RP's early attempts at bringing Zep material into his set list but then, I thought he and Strange Sensation did some of the best reworked versions of those songs ever. In some cases, better than Zeppelin ! Now, who's side am I on :lol: . Common folks

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not liking some or any of Robert's solo work. Or John Paul's or Jimmy's. Taste is subjective. The problem isn't that people object to those who aren't into what Robert is currently doing. It's that they bash him because it's not what THEY want him to do (reunion or harder rock). IMHO, I see no need to go to that point. Simply saying, well it's not my thing or I preferred when he did this or that etc. would go a long way to this merry go round of Robert bashing that happens every time he does anything.

Just my two pence.

Simply saying, well it's not my thing or I preferred when he did this or that etc.

On the other hand, Simply saying it is my thing and I prefer this style now, would go a long way in keeping this thread short as well.

No need to go on and on about it's merit's if the need for dissention is quashed.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not liking some or any of Robert's solo work. Or John Paul's or Jimmy's. Taste is subjective. The problem isn't that people object to those who aren't into what Robert is currently doing. It's that they bash him because it's not what THEY want him to do (reunion or harder rock). IMHO, I see no need to go to that point. Simply saying, well it's not my thing or I preferred when he did this or that etc. would go a long way to this merry go round of Robert bashing that happens every time he does anything.

Just my two pence.

Yes, I understand that and to a certain extent.. agree. What does irk me however is the belittling of posters who don't share the view that RP is actually doing what he wants to do. Whether they are right or wrong about that is not something that I feel warrants the dubious scrutiny that gets laid upon them. As I stated in an earlier post and as some will be aware, after O2 I honestly felt that they were capable of

carrying on and sincerely hoped they would. As time has gone by , and with an assessment of what I believe to be hard cold fact , my opinion has changed. Does that make me a turn coat ...nope. What it makes me is someone who like most here, is willing to listen to fact because it certainly wasn't reading any of the nasty comments that have been dished out that influenced my decision

Yes, I understand that and to a certain extent.. agree. What does irk me however is the belittling of posters who don't share the view that RP is actually doing what he wants to do. Whether they are right or wrong about that is not something that I feel warrants the dubious scrutiny that gets laid upon them. As I stated in an earlier post and as some will be aware, after O2 I honestly felt that they were capable of

carrying on and sincerely hoped they would. As time has gone by , and with an assessment of what I believe to be hard cold fact , my opinion has changed. Does that make me a turn coat ...nope. What it makes me is someone who like most here, is willing to listen to fact because it certainly wasn't reading any of the nasty comments that have been dished out that influenced my decision

I'm not sure I understand this post Ally. So you don't think that Robert is doing what he wants to do? What gave you that idea? And if that is what you are saying, it's the first time I've read anyone say it, so I don't get how you have seen people belittled for that. I'm confused. :unsure:

I'm not sure I understand this post Ally. So you don't think that Robert is doing what he wants to do? What gave you that idea? And if that is what you are saying, it's the first time I've read anyone say it, so I don't get how you have seen people belittled for that. I'm confused. :unsure:

I didn't say that ! I said some people who have posted on this thread feel that way and do so because he is still including Zep material in his set list. It's not an opinion I happen to share but clearly, some people do see irony in that. As for not seeing any belittling of posters... :wakeup:

I didn't say that ! I said some people who have posted on this thread feel that way and do so because he is still including Zep material in his set list. It's not an opinion I happen to share but clearly, some people do see irony in that. As for not seeing any belittling of posters... :wakeup:

Ally, I said I hadn't seen ANYONE say that they don't think Robert is doing what he wants to do. I haven't. So therefore I couldn't have seen anyone belittled for that - if I haven't seen it in the first place.

I have seen people criticise Robert BECAUSE he is doing what he wants to do - I've yet to read anyone say he ISN'T doing what he wants to do - I don't see how anyone could think that. :unsure:

Ally, I said I hadn't seen ANYONE say that they don't think Robert is doing what he wants to do. I haven't. So therefore I couldn't have seen anyone belittled for that - if I haven't seen it in the first place.

I have seen people criticise Robert BECAUSE he is doing what he wants to do - I've yet to read anyone say he ISN'T doing what he wants to do - I don't see how anyone could think that. :unsure:

I suppose I just have a different opinion from you on what I've read throughout this thread. Having said that...I still luv ya :lol:

Just my two pence.

Well if you look at some of the tirade replies to my opinions/posts you would notice quite the opposite to your rationale. I do not want a reunion if Robert does not want one. I respect Robert's right to do WTF ever he wants. I have made that crystal clear in many posts. Yet, I get bashed to bits here when I say I do not like reworked Zep tunes, and his current album.

No where did I say he did not have the right to sing his songs, I said I did not like them, I said it bothered me back in the day(personal opinion), but NEVER said he did not have the right to sing them. Then billy with his retarded rant about dealing with something different...well he is just a few fries short of a happy meal, so I can forgive that.

[quote name='BlackandGold' timestamp='1281793980' post='475247'

To those that don't like the way RP articulates his thoughts, remember that nuances are difficult to pick up in print. So are jokes, and everyone has a different sense of humor. I mean, I don't get all of Big Dan's jokes, but at least I get that he is joking (I think).

Finally, if you don't like his current musical direction, say so and move on. But why in this thread? The topic has to do with his reaction to the 02 show. Nothing else. Stay on point. I honestly wonder if the increase in ADD is caused by the internet.

Billy M - his use of the phrase "heavy" wasn't sarcasm at all. It was relating to the enormity of the event and not the music, as has already been pointed out in this thread. And no - all the guys thought the 02 was fantastic, as did the crowd, and that has nothing to do with the DVD release. Guess you had to be there. B)

I was speaking generally about Robert's occasional use of sarcasm, luv, not referring specifically to the "heavy" comment about the 02 gig, which I'm sure was heartfelt and sincere. Very heavy gig indeed for many reasons. And I believe there's a difference between thinking a gig was "fantastic" in the immediate aftermath and then months later (or whatever the time period was) seeing a video of it and deciding it wasn't up to standard needed for an official release.

Love,

Billy

I was speaking generally about Robert's occasional use of sarcasm, luv, not referring specifically to the "heavy" comment about the 02 gig, which I'm sure was heartfelt and sincere. Very heavy gig indeed for many reasons. And I believe there's a difference between thinking a gig was "fantastic" in the immediate aftermath and then months later (or whatever the time period was) seeing a video of it and deciding it wasn't up to standard needed for an official release.

Love,

Billy

Sarcasm from Robert?

Perhaps but many things can be taken out of context especially with written text.

From all the video I've seen there were only two things that were unfortunately substandard, the feedback and the fuck up in D & C.

That's the risk of live performance, two random events that happen quite frequently among all musicians.

Overall the video and sound was 7.5 and it was second hand vision unlike the the film crew they had on the night plus the master audio tapes.

There's no doubt Jimmy could doctor the sound issues and Kevin Shirley aint no slouch so it's still possible as with anything Zeppelin it's all about the "timing".

Has anyone else noticed the irony of this thread?

All the disagreements about Robert's arrangements of Zep songs, yet, when they reformed in rehearsal they deliberately reworked the songs themselves i.e. playing them in lower keys!

I was speaking generally about Robert's occasional use of sarcasm, luv, not referring specifically to the "heavy" comment about the 02 gig,

(And for those of you who spend days pondering over the use of the word "heavy," that was called sarcasm, folks).

Doesn't look like you were speaking "generally" at all, pretty specific in fact - especially for someone who critiques everyone else's writing styles in such fine detail - but what the hey.

I believe there's a difference between thinking a gig was "fantastic" in the immediate aftermath and then months later (or whatever the time period was) seeing a video of it and deciding it wasn't up to standard needed for an official release.

Still disagree over the performance at the 02 being sub-standard to any of the members, whether it be weeks, months, or years later - sure, they will find particular moments that they wish had gone differently, but as an overall performance I know they are all very proud of it - and rightly so.

Doesn't look like you were speaking "generally" at all, pretty specific in fact - especially for someone who critiques everyone else's writing styles in such fine detail - but what the hey.

It helps when you use the quote feature to isolate an entire passage, not just the portion that supports your argument. To wit:

"Shame on Percy for living his own life and by his own rules. How dare he deny "pure fans" like you a reunion tour? Such impudence! I mean, how can he do that? He owes you all SO much! (And for those of you who spend days pondering over the use of the word "heavy," that was called sarcasm, folks)."

I was referring to MY use of sarcasm. I was concerned it might fly right over the heads of the same dolts who have so much trouble interpreting Robert's comment re: the 02 gig.

Love,

Billy

It helps when you use the quote feature to isolate an entire passage, not just the portion that supports your argument. To wit:

"Shame on Percy for living his own life and by his own rules. How dare he deny "pure fans" like you a reunion tour? Such impudence! I mean, how can he do that? He owes you all SO much! (And for those of you who spend days pondering over the use of the word "heavy," that was called sarcasm, folks)."

I was referring to MY use of sarcasm. I was concerned it might fly right over the heads of the same dolts who have so much trouble interpreting Robert's comment re: the 02 gig.

Love,

Billy

Well Billy, much as I'd love to spend all weekend going back and forth discussing your use of language and argument, I'll simply point out that including your whole quote here only serves to emphasise your use of Robert's word "heavy" as an example of his habit of being sarcastic. Afraid there's no way around that. :P

Now, time for the Yorkshire Pudding . ;)

Led Zeppelin was a "heavy" band, in the jargon of the 60's and the 70's. One has to know the meaning of how that word was used during that time period to describe certain situations, circumstances, events, drugs, people, environments, music, thought process, etc. When you can place that word into that time period and understand that Robert Plant was in the worlds "heaviest" band, then sure, it was "heavy" all over again. And place that morality comment also with the word "heavy", then you can understand how "heavy" it was. Someone died here, folks. Wake up!

Is this really a new interview? Kinda looks like a rehash to me. I thought the O2 was listenable from the start, but elements have grown on me some more, especially in light of the new compilations that keep coming out. I think "Work Progress 12-10-2007" is a fine YT search term. Trampled Underfoot is maximum Jonesy, so funky.

Archived