The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

It's hard to take guys like you and Silvermedalist seriously. I don't see myself like a "die hard zep fan", "zep's the greatest" or "zep forever" kind of fan, not when it comes to Zep or any other band or artist. Zep was a great band, so were the Sabs and 100 other great rock'n'roll bands. If any, I am a die hard music fan. I would never limit myself to anything else. But who the fuck cares in hundred years anyways.. This is my second 2 cents for this discussion, and the end of it..

Well, I told myself that I would never post in this thread again because it has turned from a really interesting thread about Sabbath to this big debacle about Zep, Sabbath and who is better, blah blah blah! But I couldn't resist it! This whole "debate" is pretty petty in my book! I guess some of the blokes around here are going to clobber me after this but I don't care! I do have to admit that I've been pretty petty myself (in the past) about pretty trivial matters like this band rocks, this band sucks and even silly matters like "I'll kick so and so's fuckin' back-side if they don't shut the fuck up and continue criticising my favourite band on the planet!". But now, I see that matters like these are just plain silly! I guess I am finally "growing-up". And if I'm being honest, in the midst of all this mess, your post is pretty much the only one which makes sense to me! A very very very sensible take on things if I do say so myself! Right! That was my 2 cents!

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Silvermedalist, let them have their fun. I actually thought Ady's big banner headline was meant to be taken seriously, but obviously I was wrong. But all this pissing and moaning will get us nowhere. However, regardless of whether LZ are indeed the best band ever, I think it's fair to say that they're a whole lot better than Sabbath. Here's how I see it: Sabbath were humble and unassuming tree-fellers, whereas Zep took wood and fashioned fine carvings out of it, or wrote holy books on the paper.

Or, if you prefer, here's a geographical analogy: Zep were the Cambridge to the Sabs' Manea. As a fellow resident of Cambridgeshire, I'm confident that Ady will appreciate what I'm getting at here.

I cant believe you two live so close. As for you Swede, its been 40 years and people still care so why not in100? And you cant take us seriously? I guess you are another self proclaimed expert on music like several others here? Rolling Stone magazine was once respected back in the day. In the 1970's or 80's, forget exactly when, they said Stairway to Heaven will be listened to 100 years from now. Iron Man>? I dont know. I like Sabbath alot. I like Ozzie and the Blizzard of Oz album was better than any Sabbath album. Crazy Traiin and Mr Crowley to me are better than any Sabbath, Iron Man being the classic. But if you can sit there and think they are even iin the same league as Zeppelin, someone did a lousy job of teaching you about music. I am sure you can play the guitar well as many others here can, but anyone with an ounce of common sense knows Zeppelin are much bigger and a far better band than Sabbath or ACDC or any other hard rock band you can throw my way. If the meadowlands were selling tickets to Black Sabbath next week, with Ozzie, and the next night was a Led Zeppelin reunion, which one do you think would sell faster and in fact sell out? :wakeup: Wake up Swede!!! Ahd Ady!!! Zeppelin is better. If you dont think so, maybe you can find a Black Sabbath forum? I wonder if one exists? Doubt they have a following like Zeppelin does. And Ozzie, Ha. What a piece of work. His wife is more popular than he is right now. Sharon.

As for you Swede, its been 40 years and people still care so why not in100? And you cant take us seriously? I guess you are another self proclaimed expert on music like several others here?

I am not by far any expert. Seems like the otherway as you so easily disclaim any other bands than Zep as the greatest. And yes, no one will give a shit in 100 years what you or I think, which was my point, nothing else.

Rolling Stone magazine was once respected back in the day. In the 1970's or 80's, forget exactly when, they said Stairway to Heaven will be listened to 100 years from now. Iron Man>? I dont know. I like Sabbath alot. I like Ozzie and the Blizzard of Oz album was better than any Sabbath album. Crazy Traiin and Mr Crowley to me are better than any Sabbath, Iron Man being the classic. But if you can sit there and think they are even iin the same league as Zeppelin, someone did a lousy job of teaching you about music. I am sure you can play the guitar well as many others here can, but anyone with an ounce of common sense knows Zeppelin are much bigger and a far better band than Sabbath or ACDC or any other hard rock band you can throw my way. If the meadowlands were selling tickets to Black Sabbath next week, with Ozzie, and the next night was a Led Zeppelin reunion, which one do you think would sell faster and in fact sell out?

I really don't give a damn if you can't see the influence Sabbath have had on modern music. After all, you don't listen to any thing post 70's which you have pointed out a million times yourself, so how in the world would you know. It's your loss.

:wakeup: Wake up Swede!!! Ahd Ady!!! Zeppelin is better. If you dont think so, maybe you can find a Black Sabbath forum? I wonder if one exists? Doubt they have a following like Zeppelin does. And Ozzie, Ha. What a piece of work. His wife is more popular than he is right now. Sharon.

You sound like a fourteen year old on a Beatles concert 1965. I wonder who's sleeping...

On Topic: Does anyone have a suggestion for a compilation with outtakes, demos, alternative versions etc etc? It would be really cool to add to my collection and it would be interesting to hear the progress from early tapes to finished songs. Thanks.

51DxxydqfBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

While thumbing through a stack of bargain priced books at Borders recently I stumbled upon this one called Revolutions In Sound: Warner Bros. Records The First 50 Years. It should be of interest to most everyone here, especially for their entry on Black Sabbath. It was well worth the $5.99 price tag (it normally sells for $40). I didn't realize until checking out their website that it also comes in two other configurations: The Ultimate Boxset and a Booklet with a 10 CD Bundle. They are much more pricey but I'm sure they're also well worth the investment. Used copies of the book itself and the other versions can found for very reasonable prices at Amazon.com.

On Topic: Does anyone have a suggestion for a compilation with outtakes, demos, alternative versions etc etc? It would be really cool to add to my collection and it would be interesting to hear the progress from early tapes to finished songs. Thanks.

There are no albums like that available, but the first and third albums have recent deluxe editions with a few bonus tracks you might be interested in.

Black Sabbath Bonus Disc

1. Wicked World 4:43

2. Black Sabbath (Minus Rain And With Alternative Lyrics) 6:20

3. Black Sabbath (Instrumental) 6:10

4. The Wizard (With Jocular Banter) 4:44

5. Behind The Wall Of Sleep (With "Dry" Vocal) 3:40

6. N.I.B. (Alternative Mix) 6:05

7. Evil Woman, Don't Play Your Games With Me (With Horns & Flute) 3:44

8. Sleeping Village (Alternative Mix) 3:45

9. Warning (Part 1)

Master of Reality Bonus Disc

1. Weevil Woman '71 2:57

2. Sweet Leaf (Demo) 5:02

3. After Forever (Instrumental) 5:17

4. Children Of The Grave (Alternative Lyrics) 4:34

5. Children Of The Grave (Instrumental) 5:58

6. Orchid (With Tony Iommi's Cough And Count In) 1:38

7. Lord Of This World (With Piano And Slide Guitar) 5:36

8. Solitude (Alternative Version With No Flute) 3:42

9. Spanish Sid (Early version of Into the Void) 6:23

Do you have Spotify? All the tracks are on there if you want to check them out.

Edited by Ady

Ah, cool! Thanks for the tip! I do have Spotify and will check em out there.. Damn, that's a pretty good bonus buying those deluxe editions though!

Yeah, I haven't bought them myself as I don't really want to buy the albums again, but I think I'll buy the best bonus tracks individually as downloads at some point.

I don't know if you're interested in the Dio era at all, but they have deluxe editions of "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" too. There was a rare live album called "Live at Hammersmith Odeon" released by Rhino Records as a limited editon of 5000 copies. They all sold out in a day, but I was lucky enough to get a copy. That is the bonus disc for "Heaven and Hell" and the bonus disc for "Mob Rules" is loads of live b-sides.

Despite prefering the Ozzy era, the Dio era has really grown on me the past few years and "Live At Hammersmith" is my favourite live Sabbath album.

You have it all wrong. Chowder brought up the band Tull. 'And Chowder is not Joel. Take my word for it. And you know Im not and if you think I am go ask the mods. You are always way off. What is your problem? You always accuse people of being who they are not. That is why I had to take you off ignore to read your silly post

You have me on your ignore list? Jesus Crackers!! I would never put ANYBODY on my ignore list.

I was poking around Tower Records.com for a Sabbath collection. Here is part of the Tower description about the band...

"Known worldwide as the embodiment of heavy metal, England's Black Sabbath enveloped the 1970s in a dense fog of apocalyptic imagery, monolithic guitar riffs, and horror-movie lyrics."

^That's a good score. I have a few copies of those shows, that package looks well done. Let us know if the DKRS is good quality, every copy of that I have is somewhat fuzzy.

The package is well done except for missing the d in Rat Salad. I thought the overall quality of DKRC was quite good so much better than the youtube vids which is really the only thing I can compare it to. It would be cool for Sabbath to release a DVD with the '70 performance along with DKRC and Never Say Die performances. Not sure if any other footage of the original lineup exists? Anyway, so glad that the raw powerful '70 performance exists and seeing it uninterrupted. Also the fact it's in their early days playing in a small venue (no more than 200).

Not sure if any other footage of the original lineup exists?

I'm sure you've seen this, it's a legitimate release. There are a few others too. The Black Sabbath Story I and II have live snippets and there is a DVD with their performances at The Beat Club and MusikLaden are out there. Probably more I am forgetting ATM.

62662.jpg

Edited by danelectro

I'm sure you've seen this, it's a legitimate release. There are a few others too. The Black Sabbath Story I and II have live snippets and there is a DVD with their performances at The Beat Club and MusikLaden are out there. Probably more I am forgetting ATM.

I've seen the Never Say Die video but not The Black Sabbath Story I and II, I know I need to. Have seen the Beat Club performances. There's also footage from the Cal Jam '74. I guess "Children of the Grave" appears in The Black Sabbath Story Vol I.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkZJMv3Lxw

This song was part of a semi-improvised jam Sabbath used to do on stage during the "Vol.4", "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and "Sabotage" tours in '73, '74 and '75, named unofficially by fans as Sometimes I'm Happy.

^^ Cool, thanks. Is it a complete concert?

Here's the setlist:

Killing Yourself To Live

Hole In The Sky

Snowblind

Symptom Of The Universe

War Pigs

Megalomania

(Intermission)

Sabbra Cadabra

Instrumental Jam

Sometime's I'm Happy/Drum Solo

Supernaut

Iron Man

Orchid/Rock 'n' Roll Doctor/Don't Start (Too Late)

Black Sabbath

Spiral Architect

Children Of The Grave

Paranoid

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man