The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

What Swede said but I see no harm in a Greatest Hits type collection if you're just getting into a certain artist and want some type of overview. If you do choose to go that route, I suggest this collection:

2216377371_32452affde.jpg

1. Black Sabbath

2. N.I.B.

3. The Wizard

4. Warning

5. Evil Woman

6. Paranoid

7. Iron Man

8. War Pigs

9. Fairies Wear Boots

10. Sweet Leaf

11. Children of the Grave

12. Into the Void

13. Lord of This World

14. After Forever

15. Snowblind

16. Laguna Sunrise

17. Changes

18. Tomorrow's Dream

19. Supernaut

20. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

21. Fluff

22. Sabbra Cadabra

23. Am I Going Insane (Radio)

24. Symptom of the Universe

25. Hole in the Sky

26. Rock 'n' Roll Doctor

27. Dirty Women

28. Never Say Die

29. A Hard Road

Thanks for the tip Jahfin! :D Much appreciated! I guess that collection will give me a pretty deep overview of what Sabbath was all about! So yep! I think after checking out the first three albums, I think I'll check this collection out too! Thanks again Jahfin! :D

I bet I am in for a treat! B)

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Thanks for the tip Jahfin! :D Much appreciated! I guess that collection will give me a pretty deep overview of what Sabbath was all about! So yep! I think after checking out the first three albums, I think I'll check this collection out too! Thanks again Jahfin! :D

If you ever decide to go whole hog, there's also this collection of all of their albums from the Ozzy era called The Black Box:

Black%20Sabbath%20-%20Black%20Box%20-%20Front%20Cover1.jpg

I'm with what what has already been recommended but don't forget about the Dio stuff that's really great too.

This is my favorite song from the 6th album still with Ozzy. There's 8 albums with the original lineup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbcc2cF-uDw

Two albums released with Dio under the name Black Sabbath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EL67mjv1nM

I'm with what what has already been recommended but don't forget about the Dio stuff that's really great too.

This is my favorite song from the 6th album still with Ozzy. There's 8 albums with the original lineup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbcc2cF-uDw

Two albums released with Dio under the name Black Sabbath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EL67mjv1nM

I, and many, will never forget when the original Black Sabbath broke up. What is Ozzy going to do? What is the rest

of the band going to do? Noone knew. We all hoped it was short term split and they would get back together but not

for another 18 or so years(other than live aid).

Sabbath came out with H&H. Another heavy hitter(much heavier and fresher sounding and oh my god who is that dio guy singing?)

and Ozzy came out with Blizzard of Oz and then Diary of a Madman. Say no more. Those were some awesome times. Unfortunately shortly after that rock and roll

seemed to fall apart until the late eighties.

I notice Amazon has Deluxe versions of Paranoid and Masters of Reality. Does anyone here own these and if you do, are they worth buying?

I do own the Black Box pictured above so I'm wondering if the bonus music found on these is worth the effort or not.

Thanks

I notice Amazon has Deluxe versions of Paranoid and Masters of Reality. Does anyone here own these and if you do, are they worth buying?

I don't own those particular versions (though they are on my ever growing Wishlist) but I'd say at the prices you can find them for on Amazon (new and used), they're well worth it.

I, and many, will never forget when the original Black Sabbath broke up. What is Ozzy going to do? What is the rest

of the band going to do? Noone knew. We all hoped it was short term split and they would get back together but not

for another 18 or so years(other than live aid).

Sabbath came out with H&H. Another heavy hitter(much heavier and fresher sounding and oh my god who is that dio guy singing?)

and Ozzy came out with Blizzard of Oz and then Diary of a Madman. Say no more. Those were some awesome times. Unfortunately shortly after that rock and roll

seemed to fall apart until the late eighties.

It would be years before I was born but I can imagine how relieved and excited one would have felt to hear the new Sabbath stuff with Dio and new solo Ozzy albums.

Master of Reality is the last time they delivered a consistent album

LMFAO. I know those aren't your words, Swede, but that is total bullshit.

KiwiZepFan, make sure you check out Sabotage (by far their best, IMO) and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, especially 'Killing Youself to Live' which for some inexplicable reason is omitted from the best-of posted above.

The quality drops massively for the last 2 Ozzy albums IMO, but the Dio era is a return to form, though I don't really think his vocals & lyrics work as well iin the Sabs as they did in Rainbow.

I really want to get Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, I am a bit curious about those albums. I have a friend who's favorite Sabbath album is Sabotage too. The cover art it self for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath makes me want a copy of that album. LOL

LMFAO. I know those aren't your words, Swede, but that is total bullshit.

KiwiZepFan, make sure you check out Sabotage (by far their best, IMO) and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, especially 'Killing Youself to Live' which for some inexplicable reason is omitted from the best-of posted above.

The quality drops massively for the last 2 Ozzy albums IMO, but the Dio era is a return to form, though I don't really think his vocals & lyrics work as well iin the Sabs as they did in Rainbow.

Thanks for your advice Chowder. Basically what I want to do is for starters check out the 1st three albums by Sabbath because judging by what the guys said, they seem to be the most promising. Then I'll go in for that compilation suggested by Jahfin and then take it from there! :) And for the record, Swede's music tastes are really awesome! B) Thanks to him, I've got into a variety of bands which are absolutely amazing!

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

And for the record, Swede's music tastes are really awesome! B) Thanks to him, I've got into a variety of bands which are absolutely amazing!

Well, thank you, you are too kind. I think Chowder's words wasn't aimed at me, for some strange reason I was quoted Jahfin's words LOL

I've just gotten intereseted in Black Sabbath and I'm considering getting some of their material. What should I start with? I'm probably gonna get Paranoid right away, but what other albums do you guys recommend? I don't think I like them enough to want to get the Black Box or anything like that, but if you had to choose maybe three other albums in addition to Paranoid, what would they be?

I've just gotten intereseted in Black Sabbath and I'm considering getting some of their material. What should I start with? I'm probably gonna get Paranoid right away, but what other albums do you guys recommend? I don't think I like them enough to want to get the Black Box or anything like that, but if you had to choose maybe three other albums in addition to Paranoid, what would they be?

Hi Cheesehead! :D I am a brand new Sabbath fan myself and the guys were absolutely right when they recommended that I should get into Sabbath's first three albums : "Black Sabbath", "Paranoid" and "Master of Reality" and then take it from there. After previewing each song of these three albums on NZ itunes, I was blown away! Good stuff, that's for sure! ;)

Tony Iommi was the best riff writer I've ever heard (I used to have him tied with Page until I found out JPJ wrote most of my favorite Zeppelin riffs).

This isn't a Sabbath video, but I think it's a great medley of some of Iommi's best work. If you can name the songs all the riffs are from in the right order, you win a prize. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1tjkCyYeeQ

Edited by MMAharaja

This isn't a Sabbath video, but I think it's a great medley of some of Iommi's best work. If you can name the songs all the riffs are from in the right order, you win a prize. :D

Symptom of the Universe

Sweet Leaf

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Into the Void

Electric Funeral

Supernaut

Black Sabbath

Come on then, what's the prize?

For anyone interested in Sab covers, I can recommend 'Masters of Misery: An Earache Tribute'. Brutal Truth's cover of 'Lord of This World' is, well, brutal. And Fudge Tunnel's version of 'Changes' has to be heard to be believed.

There's also a great version of Frank Zappa's favourite Sabs tune, 'Supernaut', by 1000 Homo DJs (aka Ministry).

Tony Iommi was the best riff writer I've ever heard (I used to have him tied with Page until I found out JPJ wrote most of my favorite Zeppelin riffs).

Come on now. I like Sabbath. But better than Richards or Page? Come one now.

Iommi's work in BS was definitely more riff based and less about texture so by default he sounds a lot more "riffy" than others. I don't think that's a good or bad thing, it certainly worked within the context of BS, but comparing his work with that or others not as committed to a defining style is tough. Especially players like Page and Richards that didn't really have a signature style, they covered too much ground for that.

Edited by danelectro

Symptom of the Universe

Sweet Leaf

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Into the Void

Electric Funeral

Supernaut

Black Sabbath

Come on then, what's the prize?

For anyone interested in Sab covers, I can recommend 'Masters of Misery: An Earache Tribute'. Brutal Truth's cover of 'Lord of This World' is, well, brutal. And Fudge Tunnel's version of 'Changes' has to be heard to be believed.

There's also a great version of Frank Zappa's favourite Sabs tune, 'Supernaut', by 1000 Homo DJs (aka Ministry).

Here you go. :D

Yellow_top_bouncing_boobs.gif

Or if that's not your flavor, you can have this.

2232_MEDIUM.jpg

Come on now. I like Sabbath. But better than Richards or Page? Come one now.

I said Iommi is better at writing riffs, and I don't even think it's close. If Page wrote every Zeppelin riff, I would have them tied at #1, but as far as I know, JPJ wrote a lot of Zeppelin's riffs, especially the ones that are notes instead of chords. If we're talking about solos or overall, I'd take Page over Iommi. I don't think Richards even belongs in the discussion.

Edited by MMAharaja