Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
manderlyh

The Black Sabbath Thread

Recommended Posts

oops... wrong thread.... moved to correct thread!

Edited by timothy5151
wrong thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolling Stone to Ozzy in recent interview:

Tony has said that he'd still like for Black Sabbath to play live again sometime.

Ozzy: Not for me. It's done. The only thing I do regret is not doing the last farewell show in Birmingham with [drummer] Bill Ward. I felt really bad about that. It would have been so nice. I don't know what the circumstances behind it were, but it would have been nice. I've talked to him a few times, but I don't have any of the slightest interest in [doing another gig]. Maybe Tony's getting bored now.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/ozzy-osbourne-biography-documentary-interview-1051072/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

 

I bought this, the Purple and Yellow vinyl and the deluxe CD & DVD with artbook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, bollocks Ozzy didn't 'know the circumstances' behind Bill Ward not doing the last gig.
Your wife wanted to pay him peanuts.
Now you know the circumstances, Oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Brigante said:

Yeah, bollocks Ozzy didn't 'know the circumstances' behind Bill Ward not doing the last gig.
Your wife wanted to pay him peanuts.
Now you know the circumstances, Oz.

Yeah he knows why, how he can go and say that is beyond me, when they publicly were have a war of words going at the time of 13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Ward pays tribute to victims of Las Vegas massacre on third anniversary.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is, if someone shits on you and you go back for more, they're going to respect you even less than they already did.
But I'm a grudge-bearing, bitter old bastard, so good luck to em! 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/7/2020 at 5:11 AM, luvlz2 said:

This really "grinds my gears", back in the day, say when Paranoid was gracing Top of the Pops NOBODY called Black Sabbath a heavy metal band, they were/ heavy/hard rock. One could walk into any record shop in the early seventies and you would not find a heavy metal section, they did not exist. Heavy Metal turns fifty, bollox I say.

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JTM said:

This really "grinds my gears", back in the day, say when Paranoid was gracing Top of the Pops NOBODY called Black Sabbath a heavy metal band, they were/ heavy/hard rock. One could walk into any record shop in the early seventies and you would not find a heavy metal section, they did not exist. Heavy Metal turns fifty, bollox I say.

Agreed, I always think of Sabbath as a Hard Rock band, the Ozzy era I’m talking about.

Edited by RainbowElf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RainbowElf said:

Agreed, I wAys think of Sabbath as a Hard Rock band, the Ozzy era I’m talking about.

I blame Kerrang magazine, they started the Black Sabbath heavy metal thing. I'm talking "Ozzy era" too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JTM said:

I blame Kerrang magazine, they started the Black Sabbath heavy metal thing. I'm talking "Ozzy era" too. 

They may have influenced Heavy Metal, but they are hard rock, Metal would be the post Ozzy era, Dio era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would regard Sabbath as the first metal band, although obviously Zeppelin and Purple's influence on the genre can't be understated.  Like a lot of the heavy bands of the era, Sabbath's repertoire was a lot more diverse than your typical metal band today, but I think musically (and thematically) they took things to the next level (relative to other heavy bands from the late 60's, e.g. Cream, etc.), to what you commonly see in metal music today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I would regard Sabbath as the first metal band, although obviously Zeppelin and Purple's influence on the genre can't be understated.  Like a lot of the heavy bands of the era, Sabbath's repertoire was a lot more diverse than your typical metal band today, but I think musically (and thematically) they took things to the next level (relative to other heavy bands from the late 60's, e.g. Cream, etc.), to what you commonly see in metal music today.

I couldn't possibly agree, like I said before in the early days of Black Sabbath there was no such thing as a heavy metal section in record shops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTM said:

I couldn't possibly agree, like I said before in the early days of Black Sabbath there was no such thing as a heavy metal section in record shops.

Which is sort of the point of saying they were the *first* metal band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sabbath as the first metal band makes sense from this perspective, but it's a retrospective designation. 
Hard rock's bands like Thin Lizzy or UFO, isn't it? Sabbath are palbably different to those kinds of bands, so I've never thought of them as hard rock.
I agreed with Geezer when he said he'd always thought of Sabbath as 'heavy rock' - that'll do for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Which is sort of the point of saying they were the *first* metal band.

Like fuck it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...