The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

• 2 weeks later...

hey all just joined up.thought I would throw my 2 cents in .always been a huge Sabbath fan.early ozzy era. lost interest after then,just wasnt the same.the early stuff seemed to have that heavy groove to it,Tonni kickin it out. hard to pick a definate fav but i guess its the first album,very loose and kind of a heavy jam vibe to it.still sounds great to this day.

Hello or should I say BRRRRRRR...

I know this is Sabbath thread but if Ozzy plans to sing any of those tunes at his solo gig this weekend in London Canada, I hope he has some hot tea first....Winter has returned with a venegence..Not only is it cold but there is a wind chill..and it's just going to get colder...snowsqualls will be happening as well to add to the fun of winter here in Ontario,eh??? :blink:

I hope Sharon has packed Ozzy's long johns... :o

Juliet :D

PS I'm very sure there will be lots of Sabbath fans in London waiting to hear those great tunes, as well as, Ozzy's solo stuff.... :)

Sabbath is among my most favourite bands ever. I saw H&H earlier in the year and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Not much else to say other than I never get tired of hearing Sabbath. Oh yeah, I'm sure I'm in the minority here but Never Say Die is my fave album, I freakin' love Shock Wave and Johnny Blade.

I am a big fan of the Never Say Die album along with another one that most fans don't like-Technical Ecstasy. I remember buying both of them and already having a feeling of what the music on these two would sound like just by the artwork and it amazed me as it was exactly like I thought they would sound.

I really like all the different lineups of Sabbath-Ozzy-Dio- and the wilderness years with just Tony Iommi leading the band. I really like The Eternal Idol with Tony Martin on vocals and there is a bootleg of this studio album with Ray Gillen on vocals also.

I have a soft spot for the Born Again album with Ian Gillan- it is very good along with some bootlegs I have-very interesting.

I only got to see Black Sabbath one time but have all the cd's and lots of bootlegs of all the different lineups. The show I saw was the first year they toured as a reunion with Ozzy back in 1999 at the Summit in Houston TX-with Pantera and Deftones opening. Out of about 100 concerts I have seen-it was the loudest of them all. :D

Here is a unseen pic of Black Sabbath live in Scandinavium Göteborg 1977 on the Technical Ecstasy tour that I received from a friend of mine who also has given me unseen pics of the Led Zeppelin -Copenhagen warm-ups 1979 shows. I will be posting those on my website that I will give the link for when I am done. Thanks for the pic Flash. B)

BlackSabbathScandinaviumGteborg.jpg

My favourite Sabbath song is Sabbra Cadabra. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was the first ever album I got on vinyl :D . That and Paranoid is the only Sabbath material I'm familiar with though, I'm not really a big 'fan', I just like the music.

If you like the music then Other albums you would enjoy are Sabatoge,Master of Reality And Vol 4. The first album Black Sabbath you might like also ,it does have a different sound to it though.still heavy more extended songs.All 5 out of 5 stars in my book.

Hello or should I say BRRRRRRR...

I know this is Sabbath thread but if Ozzy plans to sing any of those tunes at his solo gig this weekend in London Canada, I hope he has some hot tea first....Winter has returned with a venegence..Not only is it cold but there is a wind chill..and it's just going to get colder...snowsqualls will be happening as well to add to the fun of winter here in Ontario,eh??? :blink:

I hope Sharon has packed Ozzy's long johns... :o

Juliet :D

PS I'm very sure there will be lots of Sabbath fans in London waiting to hear those great tunes, as well as, Ozzy's solo stuff.... :)

Took my son to see OZZY in Toronto last night!!! Fantastic show, but Man Ozzy is OLD!!!! The boy really enjoyed seeing Zakk Wylde, and Rob Zombie, who opened.

Having never been much of a Sabbath fan, it was quite an experience!!! Could not confirm a setlist, but they were Excellent!!!!

edited to add that Ozzy said he used to live in Toronto, back in the Sabbath days, and he's used to this "fuckin weather"!!!!

maybe Sharon did pack his long-johns??!!!!

Edited by KeepMeSatisfied

Took my son to see OZZY in Toronto last night!!! Fantastic show, but Man Ozzy is OLD!!!! The boy really enjoyed seeing Zakk Wylde, and Rob Zombie, who opened.

Having never been much of a Sabbath fan, it was quite an experience!!! Could not confirm a setlist, but they were Excellent!!!!

edited to add that Ozzy said he used to live in Toronto, back in the Sabbath days, and he's used to this "fuckin weather"!!!!

maybe Sharon did pack his long-johns??!!!!

Thanks for the info...glad ya had a great time...

J

My favourite Sabbath song is Sabbra Cadabra. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was the first ever album I got on vinyl :D . That and Paranoid is the only Sabbath material I'm familiar with though, I'm not really a big 'fan', I just like the music.

Get the ones that are mentioned, but also Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die! People have been talking shit about them. It's all fucking nonsence, they're awesome, you should get em! B)

I havent read this entire thread but does anyone honestly believe that Iommi (hope I spelled it right) is as good as Rhodes was? I will say one thing though, Iron Man is one of the all time classics just like Smoke On the Water. Both signature songs of hard rock.

I dont know that you could say Iommi is a better player than Rhodes.Iommi I think should be known for the sound he brought,which was so different,became so influential.Iommi was Metal before anyone new what metal was,Sometimes a guitar player can be great for other reasons than pure technical ability ,another example Kieth Richards.

I dont know that you could say Iommi is a better player than Rhodes.Iommi I think should be known for the sound he brought,which was so different,became so influential.Iommi was Metal before anyone new what metal was,Sometimes a guitar player can be great for other reasons than pure technical ability ,another example Kieth Richards.

i love iommi. i think he has more range then rhodes. but that's just me. i'm no expert. and i was never a dio fan, except with rainbow.

A very underated Sabbath cd is Born Again. This cd was kind of overlooked. I think it's a real good album. Ian Gillian really does a good job on vocals. And is the only other cd other than Heaven & Hell that has all three original musicians on it. A real scary-heavy album.......: )

A very underated Sabbath cd is Born Again. This cd was kind of overlooked. I think it's a real good album. Ian Gillian really does a good job on vocals. And is the only other cd other than Heaven & Hell that has all three original musicians on it. A real scary-heavy album.......: )

I think that the Ian Gillan - years were not the best years for Black Sabbath. He said in some interview that he joined the band only because of money. So I don't feel like that he was in it for the real thing.. I consider him more as Deep Purple's front man/singer.

A very underrated Sabbath CD is Born Again. This CD was kind of overlooked. I think it's a real good album. Ian Gillian really does a good job on vocals. And is the only other CD other than Heaven & Hell that has all three original musicians on it. A real scary-heavy album.......: )

I remember Gillan saying he use to be mates with Sabbath and was out on the piss with them, by the morning he was in the band !! He also said he could never remember the lyrics and on tour he would have the lyrics written down on the floor next to the monitors, but it was either Reading or some festival that with all the dry ice coming up off the stage he was scrambling on his knees trying to sing paranoid or something, but couldn't see the lyrics due to dry ice and the fans couldn't see Gillan, he said it was nightmare !! Thank god he re joined Purple a few years later and was in a band he was meant to be in !!

Long Live the Dio years in Sabbath, they were a good band then !! Soz I just find The ozzy stuff to dense although I did go and see them and enjoyed it, I just prefer Dio !!

Edited by leddy

Ahh yes i prefer the ozzy years paranoid, iron man, war pigs, all just classic. I really liked children of the grave the original version i some how dont recall ever hearinf it just the live version off tribute.

I have an old black sabbath casette called the eternal idol its actually pretty descent. tony martin is the singer does anybody have this or remember this!

Also not a big fan of the dio years, i loved the lord of the rings, but i'm not into a hobbit fronting a metal band!!! B)

Ahh yes i prefer the ozzy years paranoid, iron man, war pigs, all just classic. I really liked children of the grave the original version i some how dont recall ever hearinf it just the live version off tribute.

I have an old black sabbath casette called the eternal idol its actually pretty descent. tony martin is the singer does anybody have this or remember this!

Also not a big fan of the dio years, i loved the lord of the rings, but i'm not into a hobbit fronting a metal band!!! B)

I remember Eternal Idol, its ok and strange you don't like Dio Sabs as Tony martin sounds like a Dio clone !!

Love the Dio Lord of the rings bit :) maybe you should stick that in Bilbo's Hobbit thread !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHmaAuEA578

Edited by leddy

I remember Gillan saying he use to be mates with Sabbath and was out on the piss with them, by the morning he was in the band !! He also said he could never remember the lyrics and on tour he would have the lyrics written down on the floor next to the monitors, but it was either Reading or some festival that with all the dry ice coming up off the stage he was scrambling on his knees trying to sing paranoid or something, but couldn't see the lyrics due to dry ice and the fans couldn't see Gillan, he said it was nightmare !!

You missed out the punchline! I'll let the man himself explain, he tells the story brilliantly:

I like the "Born Again" album, but what is even better is the bootleg of the demos + an unreleased track called "The Fallen". The sound quality is much better than on the official release.

I've also got a boot of a gig from the tour they did and it sounds great. Gillan gave everything and sang the Ozzy era material very well.

You missed out the punchline! I'll let the man himself explain, he tells the story brilliantly:

I like the "Born Again" album, but what is even better is the bootleg of the demos + an unreleased track called "The Fallen". The sound quality is much better than on the official release.

I've also got a boot of a gig from the tour they did and it sounds great. Gillan gave everything and sang the Ozzy era material very well.

He He thanks for that !! The cover was God awfull lol !!

Edited by leddy

It's one of those 1/2 way albums....a little bit like Technical Exstacy!

It's one of those 1/2 way albums....a little bit like Technical Exstacy!

Yes it wasn't the greatest work of Sabbath. I guess it's one of those lost albums of Sabbath's career.

When I was learning all the great rock of the seventies Sabbath was one of them next to Zepp.

Toni did come up with some real great riffs. He's an underestimated guitarist. I really liked his lead work on War Pigs. Fairy's wear Boots is another one I like. Symptom of the Universe was great too. When I had a band called Engine Room we use to play alot of Sabbath my drummer use to really go off on Symptom of the Universe. I use to hit the chords and wait while he would do the fills. I'd just watch him and enjoy him mimick Bill Ward's fills.........at times when me, the bassist and the drummer would lock-in together.....Symptom was like flying on a Jet-plane!!!! :D

Yes it wasn't the greatest work of Sabbath. I guess it's one of those lost albums of Sabbath's career.

When I was learning all the great rock of the seventies Sabbath was one of them next to Zepp.

Toni did come up with some real great riffs. He's an underestimated guitarist. I really liked his lead work on War Pigs. Fairy's wear Boots is another one I like. Symptom of the Universe was great too. When I had a band called Engine Room we use to play alot of Sabbath my drummer use to really go off on Symptom of the Universe. I use to hit the chords and wait while he would do the fills. I'd just watch him and enjoy him mimick Bill Ward's fills.........at times when me, the bassist and the drummer would lock-in together.....Symptom was like flying on a Jet-plane!!!! :D

Symptom Of The Universe totally Rocks mean ass riff!