Robert Plant - Principle Of Moments 1983 Tour Rehearsals Questions

Cuban

Hi

I was wondering if anyone here could help me as I am doing some research for an article that releates to Phil Collins working with Robert Plant.

I am trying to find the location and date of the tour rehearsals for Robert's 'Principle Of Moments' tour in 1983.

I know the tour started in Peoria, so there may have been a few days at the Civic Centre before hand as was common then, but did the band do the main rehearsals in the UK at somewhere like Shepperton Studios or were they done in America?

Does anyone also know of any photos from the rehearsals?

Thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I was wondering if anyone here could help me as I am doing some research for an article that releates to Phil Collins working with Robert Plant.

I am trying to find the location and date of the tour rehearsals for Robert's 'Principle Of Moments' tour in 1983.

I know the tour started in Peoria, so there may have been a few days at the Civic Centre before hand as was common then, but did the band do the main rehearsals in the UK at somewhere like Shepperton Studios or were they done in America?

Does anyone also know of any photos from the rehearsals?

Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I didn't see this question until now.

In Autumn 1981 Robert contacted his record company to inquire if Phil Collins might be keen to contribute to his first solo album. Robert then called Phil directly to ask if he'll play on his album but was told (sorry) no, as Phil was mixing Genesis' 'Three Sides Live'. Robert sent Phil demo tapes and eventually influenced him to commit to three days of studio recording.

In Spring 1982, Phil drove 160 miles to Rockfield Studios, arriving before Robert had awoken, and their first meeting occured in the kitchen. They successfully completed the recording of six backing tracks in three days. Drummers Cozy Powell and Barriemore Barlow also contributed to the album, recorded and mixed over a five week period.

On February 12, 1983, Robert greets the crowd but did not perform at Phil Collin's concert at War Memorial Auditorium in Syracuse, NY (support from The Fabulous Jacuzzi's and The One (?) (can't read my own handwriting - ha) Guy)

In July 1983, at Shepperton Film Studios, Robert granted an interview to Geoff Barton of 'Sounds' magazine and conducted a photo shoot with Ross Halfin for the cover. Phil Collins was present with a video camera.

In August 1983, North American tour rehearsals were held at the Dallas Communications Complex - Studios at Las Colinas located at 6301 North O' Conner Road in Irving, TX, zip code 75039.

On Sep 12, 1983, Robert and Phil Collins jokingly staged a kiss for the photographers at their after-show party held at the BeBop Cafe, a rockabilly club in New York City.

On Aug 4, 1984 (or May 1985?), at The Old Croft in Guildford, Robert Plant, along with Eric Clapton (and another unidentified person) on guitar, Phil Carson on bass and Phil Collins on drums, played a set of rock and roll tunes at Collins' wedding reception

On Jul 13, 1985 Phil Collins joined the surviving members of Led Zeppelin and drummer Tony Thompson for their Live Aid set at JFK Memorial Stadium in Philadelphia. Phil had not rehearsed with them for this performance.

A few months ago I posted to the Zeppelin Mysteries thread Phil Collins comments concerning 'No Jacket Required'; the album title was directly inspired by an incident he experienced while touring with Robert Plant in 1983.

No Jacket Required

The album is named after an (Aug/Sep 1983) incident at The Pump Room restaurant in Chicago, Illinois. Collins (entering the restaurant with Robert Plant, was denied admittance because he did not meet the restaurant's dress code of "jacket required" for dinner, while Plant was allowed in. Collins was wearing a jacket, and argued about it. The Maitre d' argued that the jacket was not "proper". Collins, in an interview with Playboy, said that he was, at that point, never so mad in his life. After the incident, the singer often appeared on shows such as Late Night With David Letterman and The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, denouncing the restaurant and telling his story. The management of the restaurant later sent him a complimentary sport coat and an apology letter, stating that he could come to the restaurant wearing whatever he wanted.

In Spring 1982, Phil drove 160 miles to Rockfield Studios, arriving before Robert had awoken, and their first meeting occured in the kitchen. They successfully completed the recording of six backing tracks in three days. Drummers Cozy Powell and Barriemore Barlow also contributed to the album, recorded and mixed over a five week period.

Steve,

What did Barriemore Barlow contribute to Pictures At Eleven? I thought he only played on The Principle Of Moments.

Cozy Powell played two songs on Pictures at Eleven which were Slow Dancer and Like I've Never Been Gone. Barriemore Barlow played two songs from The Principle Of Moments and they were Wreckless Love and Stranger Here Than Over There. All for songs are incredible.

Steve

Firstly, thank you very much for such detailed answers. B)

On first glance I wondered if you were perhaps 'Pud' but given the amount of posts, I guess not, so can I ask how you know such detailed information? Although there are one or two things that you stated that are not quite correct, a lot of what you know appears almost 'inside information'?! ;)

The article you mention by Geoff Barton of 'Sounds', was this done at the UK rehearsals, does the article have an images of the gear etc?

Thanks again for your help! :)

Steve

Firstly, thank you very much for such detailed answers. B)

On first glance I wondered if you were perhaps 'Pud' but given the amount of posts, I guess not, so can I ask how you know such detailed information? Although there are one or two things that you stated that are not quite correct, a lot of what you know appears almost 'inside information'?! ;)

The article you mention by Geoff Barton of 'Sounds', was this done at the UK rehearsals, does the article have an images of the gear etc?

Thanks again for your help! :)

Pinpoint accuracy is hard to achieve 30 years after events have transpired but I always endeavor to present what I can and welcome corrections/further details. Unfortunately, the Sounds article does not contain any images of the rehearsals or details concerning the equipment.

Archived