Jimmy Page Sunday Times Interview

Magic Fills the Air

I got excited reading the front page caption on the Sunday Times: 'Led Zepp's Secret New Album'. :o Then I opened the magazine and saw that it was referring to Jimmy's book. I'm sure a lot of readers were expecting something different.

maybe there's a bonus cd in it of unreleased material for those that buy it??? ;)

R B)

Here is the text from the Sunday Times interview.

HITS AND MYTHS

The Sunday Times (London); Aug 22, 2010; Tony Barrell; p. 22 Full Text:

(Copyright © Times Newspapers Limited 2010)

Thanks for sharing this with us, kenog! Very interesting read. From the photos I've seen of Jimmy and his family, though, he has three daughters (Scarlet and the two younger ones).

And my friend and I still disagree with Pamela Des Barres and her assertion that Jimmy has "sadistic tendencies." Nothing in our experience has led us to believe that the man is a sadist.

Thank you so much kenog!

I'm happy to know that Jimmy is fine and looks happy.

I feel the same way. Ultimately, for me at least, it's all that matters. :)

What's interesting are all the times Robert Plant said that Led Zeppelin could go on recording and touring again. But you can't acknowledge those because holy scripture says that it is a sin. The truth is Robert Plant was the one who said "if the occassion was called for perhaps for a charity or something" then there could be another one off or more. He also was the one who said that the possiblity of Zeppelin continuing could be anything if people did not keep questioning him about it and let him live his own life in the meantime. That was three years ago. I think things could be different if Jimmy Page put out good successful solo material. For whatever reason that doesn't happen. There does not seem to be any indication that he has even recorded anything to just put into the vaults. That's disturbing in terms of the prospects of anything new happening. Who ever is in his world sure keep a tight lid on what the deal is but have no problem with talking about "select other subjects" concerning him. No one even knows if he is still married to Jimena. Sheesh at least people from his world check to make sure he is Jimmy Page before they discuss something about him...but that's about it. At least Michael Jackson recorded tons of songs in this past decade before he kicked the bucket. One decade past and yet...nothing.

This is a transcript I've made of the video relating to the magazine feature. I've had to transcribe it because, for the life of me, I can't get the damn video copied. It doesn't read too smoothly as I have had to take down verbatim what Jimmy was saying. I like the bit at the end when he talks about his hair.

Sunday Times Magazine 22 August 2010

Turning the Page

In a rare video interview Jimmy Page, the Led Zeppelin guitar hero, talks us through his colourful career on-stage and behind-the-scenes

"...I'll do a biography/autobiography, but I want to do a photographic one. The first photograph in there I'm a choirboy, for heavensake, but i'm actually just at the point when I'm just picking up playing guitar. The choirmaster rememberd me bringing the guitar to choir practice. I probably got there a lot earlier when I was playing guitar outside the vestry, or whatever. But, em, that he remembered me taking it and wanting to tune it up to the organ. It goes through very early groups that I was in when I lived at Epsom, to being headhunted up to London to play in a band and then going to art college, and then coming out of art college to do studio work and recording sessions with well know artists. Then the Yardbirds. Then it goes through to Led Zeppelin. Then it goes from that to a really historic joining of myself, Eric - Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, when we did a charity concert for Ronnie Lane, who had multiple sclerosis, and it was an Action For Research into MS., and we all came together to do that.

It's got hundreds of images in it. I meant there's about 60 photographers involved as well over the years. Six/seven hundred images in it. To tie it together, I sort of threaded it together with annotations and small amounts of copy, just so that, you know, you can see the chameleon like aspect of it. And at the end of it, I sort of dye my hair silver, which is quite interesting! It's an interesting sort of career move!!!"

I have attached to this item the photograph which was shot by Scarlet from the magazine article. Photograph Copyright Scarlet Page 2010.

post-14347-093232600 1283030549_thumb.jp

This is a transcript I've made of the video relating to the magazine feature. I've had to transcribe it because, for the life of me, I can't get the damn video copied. It doesn't read too smoothly as I have had to take down verbatim what Jimmy was saying. I like the bit at the end when he talks about his hair.

Turning the Page

In a rare video interview Jimmy Page, the Led Zeppelin guitar hero, talks us through his colourful career on-stage and behind-the-scenes

"...I'll do a biography/autobiography, but I want to do a photographic one. The first photograph in there I'm a choirboy, for heavensake, but i'm actually just at the point when I'm just picking up playing guitar. The choirmaster rememberd me bringing the guitar to choir practice. I probably got there a lot earlier when I was playing guitar outside the vestry, or whatever. But, em, that he remembered me taking it and wanting to tune it up to the organ. It goes through very early groups that I was in when I lived at Epsom, to being headhunted up to London to play in a band and then going to art college, and then coming out of art college to do studio work and recording sessions with well know artists. Then the Yardbirds. Then it goes through to Led Zeppelin. Then it goes from that to a really historic joining of myself, Eric - Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, when we did a charity concert for Ronnie Lane, who had multiple sclerosis, and it was an Action For Research into MS., and we all came together to do that.

It's got hundreds of images in it. I meant there's about 60 photographers involved as well over the years. Six/seven hundred images in it. To tie it together, I sort of threaded it together with annotations and small amounts of copy, just so that, you know, you can see the chameleon like aspect of it. And at the end of it, I sort of dye my hair silver, which is quite interesting! It's an interesting sort of career move!!!"

I have attached to this item the photograph which was shot by Scarlet from the magazine article. Photograph Copyright Scarlet Page 2010.

Thanks for posting this transcript, kenog! That took alot of work. It is much appreciated.

Jimmy, the chameleon, dying his hair silver, LOL.

I don't know about Jimmy's memory regarding the George Martin/ Ringo's Theme session...it's pretty well-documented that the lead guitar in the background was Vic Flick (session guitarist peer of Jimmy's who is most famous for starting the James Bond guitar sound); George Martin asked for Vic Flick because he wanted a similar "bond" guitar sound. If Jimmy was there on the "This Boy" session, he's way in the background....

Turning the Page

Thanks so much for this. I appreaciated it too.

Archived