The Weather Thread

Atlas

Loss of life in Alabama at 160 plus. Many people unaccounted for. I live over the mountain, just south of downtown B'ham. The tornado path demolished wide swaths of suburbs to the northwest and just due north of the city center. Tuscaloosa was hammered. Personal articles and debris from Tuscaloosa is being found on the ground in Birmingham, roughly 60 miles away. I found a shredded 2 1/2 foot board in my backyard, probably from a destoyed home in Pleasant Grove or Pratt City. April 27, 2011, a surreal day in the deep south. My thoughts and prayers to all who have lost loved ones in these tornados.

We have a few trees down but our house, barn, and fences are okay. Everybody in our home is okay, including the pets. We have debris in the yard from other people's homes, mostly from someone's mobile home (I think).

My dad and I went to a grocery store late this afternoon and were able to get a lot of necessities. Trees and power lines are down everywhere. We went down a street to see if the home of my daughter's best friend was okay. Everything in that section of the street was nearly obliterated. I started crying when I realized that I coulodn't figure out which house had been hers. I think I might have seen her car and maybe her mother's car. The cars were fine, so if those were indeed their vehicles, then they weren't at the house when the tornado went through, and the girl's family is okay. Phone service, internet service, electricity, etc. is so spotty that we didn't have another way to find out. I just pray they're okay.

It's a very sobering time.

edited to add... Jabe, I'm glad you're okay.

I know there is at least one other forum member who lives in my immediate area... I hope she is okay too.

The scale of these storms was amazing and so sad that there was such a high loss of life. When you have the same supercell storm that wreaks havoc on two large cities, this can certainly happen. I was watching this unfold as it happened and some of the video was quite intense.

The '74 outbreak may be worse as about 30 of those tornadoes were in the (E)F4 category or greater. Yesterday's storms haven't been categorized yet until the NWS surveys the damage.

One strange and sad thing I heard is that Alabama is the 3rd most chicken producing state in the U.S. and over three million chickens were killed in the tornadoes on Wednesday.

The scale of these storms was amazing and so sad that there was such a high loss of life. When you have the same supercell storm that wreaks havoc on two large cities, this can certainly happen. I was watching this unfold as it happened and some of the video was quite intense.

The '74 outbreak may be worse as about 30 of those tornadoes were in the (E)F4 category or greater. Yesterday's storms haven't been categorized yet until the NWS surveys the damage.

One strange and sad thing I heard is that Alabama is the 3rd most chicken producing state in the U.S. and over three million chickens were killed in the tornadoes on Wednesday.

I really feel for all the people in all the states that were/are affected by these terrible storms and tornadoes. As a PROUD American, it upsets me that other fellow Americans can be so devasted in such a way.

What is strange is that about 4 hours ago I was watching news footage of the tornadoes rampaging through Tuscaloosa, Alabama and commented to my mother that besides the 140+ human lives lost, I wondered about how many animals were lost due to these tornadoes. You know pets and all but also rabbits, squirrels, chickens, cows, horses, etc... All the other wildlife that literally had no place to hide. If what you say is accurate and over 3 million chickens were killed then, like I said, imagine all the other animals that perished. Very sad.

It's been shitty in Minnesota lately. It was a record snow fall this winter; our fourth snowiest, we got 88.5 inches I believe. It warmed up really quick in early April and we all thought it was going to be gorgeous from then on.... Nope. It's been cold and rainy. <_< I think it's trying to snow but it can't because the ground is now thawed and it won't stick.

However it's 60 degrees F and sunny outside! Finally, after two and a half weeks of rain :D.

Unfortunately we can't say that for the states in the South. You are in our prayers.

• 2 weeks later...

They are trying to prevent floodwaters from reaching New Orleans, where the impact could be worse than Katrina.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slow Migration Unfolds In Flood's Path in Mississippi

theledger.com

content.usatoday.com/2011/05/satellite-images-of-mississippi-flooding

The flood crest of 47.87 feet on May 10, is the second highest rise in recent history; the highest being 48.7 feet in 1937. Costs of the flooding are expected to approach $1 billion.

The Mississippi River crest continues to move south and is expected to occur in the Greenville, Miss. Area around May 16 to finally crest in New Orleans around May 23.

USGS Flood Teams at Work in Mississippi

usgs.gov

The crest on the Mississippi River is projected to be at record levels from Greenville, Miss. south. USGS boat crews will assist the National Weather Service and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers by making supplemental measurements as the crest moves south.

La. floodgate opens, diverting Mississippi River La. floodgate opens, diverting Mississippi River

'Now's the time to evacuate ... That water's coming,' governor says

By Melinda Deslatte, Mary Foster, Associated Press

msnbc.msn.com

MORGANZA, La. — A steel, 10-ton floodgate was slowly raised Saturday for the first time in nearly four decades, unleashing a torrent of water from the Mississippi River, away from heavily populated areas downstream.

The water spit out slowly at first, then began gushing like a waterfall as it headed to swamp as much as 3,000 square miles of Cajun countryside known for small farms and fish camps. Some places could wind up under as much as 25 feet of water. Opening the Morganza spillway diverts water away from Baton Rouge and New Orleans, and the numerous oil refineries and chemical plants along the lower reaches of the Mississippi.

"We're using every flood control tool we have in the system," Army Corps of Engineers Maj. Gen. Michael Walsh said Saturday from the dry side of the spillway, before the bay was opened. The podium Walsh was standing at was expected to be under several feet of water Sunday. The Morganza spillway is part of a system of locks and levees built following the great flood of 1927. When it opened, it was the first time three flood-control systems have been unlocked at the same time along the Mississippi River.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3QAERvZkmk

Unfortunately similar flooding is going on in Manitoba too. They are purposely breaching dikes to flood areas that would not otherwise have flooded. They are taking the "lesser of two evils" approach. Flood 150-200 homes to save 500-1000 homes. However some valuable farm land is going to flood with it.

It has been raining here. on and of, for the better part of 3 weeks. Forecast for the week ahead...RAIN!!! angry.gif

Unfortunately similar flooding is going on in Manitoba too. They are purposely breaching dikes to flood areas that would not otherwise have flooded. They are taking the "lesser of two evils" approach. Flood 150-200 homes to save 500-1000 homes. However some valuable farm land is going to flood with it.

It has been raining here. on and of, for the better part of 3 weeks. Forecast for the week ahead...RAIN!!! angry.gif

I guess it's all caused by heavy snowmelt combined with heavy rainfall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Manitoba floods farms to avoid "catastrophic" breach

uk.reuters.com

Levels on the Assiniboine, which flows eastward out of Saskatchewan into Manitoba, are the highest on record after a winter of heavy snowfall on saturated land.

Along with fortifying dikes, Manitoba officials hastily expanded this week an engineered channel that diverts water off the Assiniboine into Lake Manitoba to prevent widespread flooding caused by heavy winter snowfall and spring rains.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kenner is a suburb of New Orleans.

Mississippi River at Kenner, Louisiana

8 hours ago

5 hours ago

Mississippi flood in New Orleans would have been far worse than Katrina. Louisiana residents evacuate as spillway fills lowlands.The Army Corps of Engineers is releasing water from a spillway along the rising Mississippi River in Louisiana, diverting water into the countryside in hopes of avoiding a potentially bigger disaster...Released open gates.

MORGANZA, Louisiana -- Over the next few days, water spewing through a Mississippi River floodgate will crawl through the swamps of Louisiana's Cajun country, chasing people and animals to higher ground while leaving much of the land under 10 to 20 feet of brown muck.

The floodgate was opened Saturday for the first time in nearly four decades, shooting out like a waterfall, spraying 6 feet into the air. Fish jumped or were hurled through the white froth and what was dry land soon turned into a raging channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0noa6uLSI

This has been a most miserable Spring in the great white North. We've had below average temperatures for almost 8 weeks. Even when the Sun is out, it's at least 10 degrees below normal. Once it starts out this way, it's usually a sign of a cold Summer. Hell, ours is only 6-8 weeks anyway. The only positive to that is saving on air conditioning....but first I have to turn off the heat. :(

^ On the flip side, we have had 22 days at 90 or above thus far. Average 110 days a year at that level, so we are waaay ahead of schedule. Plus starting tomorrow we will be back in the low to mid 90's for the rest of the week. Oh well, just have to get back in that pool again this weekend! ;)

Iceland's most active volcano has erupted, with a flight ban of 120 miles being imposed around the area.

Icelandic Volcano Erupts, Ash Plume Forces International Flights to Divert

By Omar R. Valdimarsson - May 22, 2011 11:58 AM GMT

A volcanic eruption under Europe's largest glacier, Vatnajokull, forced the closure of the main international airport in Iceland, the second disruption in 13 months to the island nation's air traffic.

The eruption sent an ash plume more than 17 kilometers (10.5 miles) into the air, causing delays today of some Scandinavian trans-Atlantic flights. "We expect the ash cloud to enter Norwegian airspace over the course of the night," said Jens Petter Duestad, chief of control centers for Norwegian airport operator Avinor.

Iceland's Keflavik International Airport was shut down this morning amid fears that the ash plume might damage jet engines. The halt grounded 11 airplanes in Iceland, affecting about 2,000 passengers. Another 13 airplanes will be unable to land in the country.

An eruption began at about 6 p.m. yesterday in a Grimsvotn Lake crater underneath Vatnajokull, about 90 miles (145 kilometers) southeast of Reykjavik. The volcano is the most active in Iceland and its last eruption ended in 2004.

[url=http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-22/iceland-volcano-shuts-island-s-airspace-delays-flights-1-.html]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZVu2iJIRo&NR=1

On May 22, 2011 a highly destructive and deadly tornado tore through the town of Joplin, Missouri. Here is video of the tornado entering the southwest side of town, filmed by TornadoVideos.net Basehunters team Colt Forney, Isaac Pato, Kevin Rolfs, and Scott Peake.

Hi Sister,all,

My heart goes out to the city of Joplin. I don't live too far away from Joplin (I live in NE Oklahoma). We are supposed to have some really bad weather this afternoon. Please keep us in your thoughts. The Joplin tornado was rated an EF4.

Agreed.Rescue workers are trying to beat the next storm. :(

KB

Archived