Is rock as we know it dead?

eightiesbaby80

Who's going to agree with the blanket assertion that all current music sucks?

It happens quite a bit on some fo the forums I frequent, though usually for different reasons than mentioned here. As finicky as fans are musicians tend to be even more hard-headed. Honestly thats why I pop in and out of here every few months, it's a lot easier to chat with the tech types I encounter on automotive forums. Though I've seen my share of heated threads about even more banal topics, like the benefit of 93 octane fuel compared to 91. Look out!

Who's going to agree with the blanket assertion that all current music sucks?

He isn't alone, there's several others on here that have said the same exact thing. The only thing is, silvermedalists' arguments for why all current music sucks are weak at best (when he can even provide one) so when someone doesn't see eye-to-eye with him, that's when the lashing out and combativeness begins. You also have to consider this person has some unfounded fear of YouTube and chooses to live life with his head buried in the sand rather than actually giving new music a chance. Then, there's the whole hittin' the bottle thing while he's online. I'm sure that doesn't help any.

I'm not sure what "N Car" is but you might want to try reading your own posts sometime. You are definitely guilty of the very things you are accusing others of which is exactly why you've been banned from here so many times you can't even keep track.

I have not insulted you and I have not done anything wrong except to disagree on musical issues. That is a crime here. As for the drinking comment, I am not drinking. I cant. I had surgery. Am on alot of meds though. But I have not been looking to fight all the time unlike that girl Liz. And you seem to want to go after me all the time also. Im outa here. There is no way I am going to let you bait me into gettting banned. You keep bringing up the banning thing. The two of you, that is what you both want. I know it.

I have not insulted you and I have not done anything wrong except to disagree on musical issues. That is a crime here. As for the drinking comment, I am not drinking. I cant. I had surgery. Am on alot of meds though.

No shit? Who would have ever guessed it.

But I have not been looking to fight all the time unlike that girl Liz. And you seem to want to go after me all the time also. Im outa here. There is no way I am going to let you bait me into gettting banned. You keep bringing up the banning thing. The two of you, that is what you both want. I know it.

Paranoid much? Best stay away from the YouTube, you might get a virus.

No shit? Who would have ever guessed it.

Paranoid much? Best stay away from the YouTube, you might get a virus.

I am not the only one here that knows what you are all about. Just waiting to pounce on anyone that comes into your "baby". Your baby is the other bands forum where you spend half your waking life, looking to rip anyone that dares disagree with you. Go back to the hills you hillbilly.

I am not the only one here that knows what you are all about. Just waiting to pounce on anyone that comes into your "baby". Your baby is the other bands forum where you spend half your waking life, looking to rip anyone that dares disagree with you. Go back to the hills you hillbilly.

Whatever happened to:

Im outa here.

Don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

You should mind your own business and not worry about issues that dont concern you. This has nothing to do with you.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And auld lang syne!

For auld lang syne, my dear,

For auld lang syne.

We'll take a cup o' kindness yet,

For auld lang syne.

I think not!....

Just stumbled upon this new band called Carney through a KROQ locals only show and they jammed! You can definitely hear the zeppelin, hendrix, and beatles influence and can grab a free download through vevo right now - http://bit.ly/cMJyXa.

Let me know what you think of these guys

OMG, I LOVE CARNEY!!! I was actually gonna post about them on here awhile back but I never did lol.

FM Rock radio, as I used to know it.... well it died quite a long time ago.

Present day FM rock radio is a lifeless corpse on life support.

The Golden Era of Rock radio, and, the Golden Era of Rock, have both passed away.

The endless re-treads of 70's bands playing the same Classic Rock numbers, over and over again, supported by the dead Classic Rock radio stations that play those same numbers over and over ... this is somebody's "Heaven".... But, it is my "Hell".

The Golden Era of Rock radio, and, the Golden Era of Rock, have both passed away.

The endless re-treads of 70's bands playing the same Classic Rock numbers, over and over again, supported by the dead Classic Rock radio stations that play those same numbers over and over ... this is somebody's "Heaven".... But, it is my "Hell".

Are you saying you're tired of the repetition? If so I agree because to me the constant barrage of classic rock on the airwaves is a far bigger problem than any perceived decline in music quality after those bands favored by that format. It's gotten to the point where some of that stuff is muzak to me, it almost has no appeal due to becoming too familiar. I mean a song like Hotel California doesn't make me want to puke or anything but it's become as routine as washing my hair.

I also detest what's come to be known as "Classic Rock" radio but there are exceptions. There's plenty of college and progressive stations (commercial and otherwise) that aren't afraid to mix it up. With a program like iTunes (or just the internet in general), they're just a click away. I also really love XM/Sirius' Deep Tracks channel. They can air lengthy songs without any concern. They've also turned me onto tons of artists I missed out on the first time around such as Joy of Cooking (who I only previously knew of from a song by the New Riders of the Purple Sage, "Lonesome L.A. Cowboy"). They also play new music so it's not like listening to any of the plethora of stagnant sounding "Classic Rock" stations out there.

As for the "Golden Era of Rock", it's far from over it just manifests itself in different ways these days.

I also detest what's come to be known as "Classic Rock" radio but there are exceptions. There's plenty of college and progressive stations (commercial and otherwise) that aren't afraid to mix it up. With a program like iTunes (or just the internet in general), they're just a click away. I also really love XM/Sirius' Deep Tracks channel. They can air lengthy songs without any concern. They've also turned me onto tons of artists I missed out on the first time around such as Joy of Cooking (who I only previously knew of from a song by the New Riders of the Purple Sage, "Lonesome L.A. Cowboy"). They also play new music so it's not like listening to any of the plethora of stagnant sounding "Classic Rock" stations out there.

As for the "Golden Era of Rock", it's far from over it just manifests itself in different ways these days.

It was just a few years ago when bands like NRPS were part or the standard fare on MOR FM stations, well as recent as the late 90's anyway. Though I doubt it was out of any deep appreciation for music or anything, probably thought it was clever to fire up Panama Red. It's the corporate ownership that watered it down, playlists became short loops of the most popular stuff like Sweet Home Alabama and More Than A Feeling. I know this isn't news to you but whats become classic rock is less about an era of music and all about revisiting the same few hundred well known songs over and over. I don't doubt that even the surviving members of those bands are tired of the repetition too. Shit these days what qualifes as playing a "deep cut" is some corporate jock reading several minutes of canned trivia out of book that leads up to playing Mama Kin instead of Dream On. But honestly I don't think any of that matters for a large portion of the public that resides in the comfy middle. Most probably can't tell the difference between Bryan Adams and Rod Stewart.

It was just a few years ago when bands like NRPS were part or the standard fare on MOR FM stations, well as recent as the late 90's anyway. Though I doubt it was out of any deep appreciation for music or anything, probably thought it was clever to fire up Panama Red. It's the corporate ownership that watered it down, playlists became short loops of the most popular stuff like Sweet Home Alabama and More Than A Feeling. I know this isn't news to you but whats become classic rock is less about an era of music and all about revisiting the same few hundred well known songs over and over. I don't doubt that even the surviving members of those bands are tired of the repetition too. Shit these days what qualifes as playing a "deep cut" is some corporate jock reading several minutes of canned trivia out of book that leads up to playing Mama Kin instead of Dream On. But honestly I don't think any of that matters for a large portion of the public that resides in the comfy middle. Most probably can't tell the difference between Bryan Adams and Rod Stewart.

Some of what you said makes alot of sense. ,The revisiting part especially. Sinatra, Beethoven, and other types of classic music will never really die. You just pick them up and play them when you are in the mood. Just like the classic Xmas music that will always be played. So why should good classical music be considered dead? Some of it will never die. Such as Beatles, Zeppelin and a few otherss.

Some of what you said makes alot of sense. ,The revisiting part especially. Sinatra, Beethoven, and other types of classic music will never really die. You just pick them up and play them when you are in the mood. Just like the classic Xmas music that will always be played. So why should good classical music be considered dead? Some of it will never die. Such as Beatles, Zeppelin and a few otherss.

I don't think any well known music runs the risk of dying in fact in the case of classic rock is exactly the opposite. The issue for me is the massive over-exposure is taking some of the meaningfulness away from it. Some of it was legitimately the soundtrack of a generation but it's becoming the muzak of modern times. I don't want to hear Lady Madonna or Going To California in the background while I'm trying to find ripe tomatoes at the local market. The problem is they are ringing every bit out of it until it's a meaningless drone of Stairway leading into Freebird leading into Hotel California.

I don't think any well known music runs the risk of dying in fact in the case of classic rock is exactly the opposite. The issue for me is the massive over-exposure is taking some of the meaningfulness away from it. Some of it was legitimately the soundtrack of a generation but it's becoming the muzak of modern times. I don't want to hear Lady Madonna or Going To California in the background while I'm trying to find ripe tomatoes at the local market. The problem is they are ringing every bit out of it until it's a meaningless drone of Stairway leading into Freebird leading into Hotel California.

I know what you mean. They have done this to some classics on commercials too. Example, Cadillac with Rock n Roll by Zeppelin. But in that case it probably didnt really hurt any. And knowing Jimmy, they probably got permission. Lady Madonna would have a better shot of makiing the supermarket than going to Cal. One thing that always kept Zeppelin off of top 40 for instance was the length of their songs. The Beatles were loaded with two minute (approx) songs, but Led Zepp had much longer songs in most cases. To my recollection the only true top 40 song was Dyer Maker. Maybe Im forgetting one? But that was the big top 40 song for them. If music is of great quality, no matter what kind, rock, country, jazz, classical, its going to be around for good. How often its played is another story and where its played.

I know what you mean. They have done this to some classics on commercials too. Example, Cadillac with Rock n Roll by Zeppelin. But in that case it probably didnt really hurt any. And knowing Jimmy, they probably got permission. Lady Madonna would have a better shot of makiing the supermarket than going to Cal. One thing that always kept Zeppelin off of top 40 for instance was the length of their songs. The Beatles were loaded with two minute (approx) songs, but Led Zepp had much longer songs in most cases. To my recollection the only true top 40 song was Dyer Maker. Maybe Im forgetting one? But that was the big top 40 song for them. If music is of great quality, no matter what kind, rock, country, jazz, classical, its going to be around for good. How often its played is another story and where its played.

The thing that kept LZ off the charts was harder rock wasn't favored but the majority of listeners of that time. There seems to be miconception that LZ didn't release singles but they did in the US, at least one song from each album. Some actually did quite well, look it up they had 5 top 40 chart positions on the Billboard charts whle they were an active band. The Beatles domination of the singles charts primarily pre-dates Rubber Soul, their song length was expanded from '65 on, not in every instance but they were the band that pioneered albums being a cohesive work for cryin' out loud. That LZ didn't have massive success with singles kind of got turned into "were not a singles band" but they gave it a shot.

BTW LZ hacked WLL down a couple of minutes, the middle section, for the single to make it shorter. I have the 45 in my collection. I remember that that version was primarily what FM stations played in this area well into the 80's. Unless it was later in the evening, thats when jocks used to break out the hard stuff.

The problem is they are ringing every bit out of it until it's a meaningless drone of Stairway leading into Freebird leading into Hotel California.

I think.... the corporate rock radio stations seek their advertising dollar$ from companies, who, it just so happens, in most cases, are seeking "meaningless drones" to market their wares to..... A marriage made in Heaven Hell, as far as I'm concerned. The radio station's ONLY creativity is their latest promotion, contest, and, dumb jokes to tell on the "morning drive in show". The depth of their musical playlist is NOT on their radar screen. And, it can't be, as control of what gets into the playlist has been taken away from all DJ's in corporate rock radio stations. That's left up to the "professional consultants". Basically, the radio station is there for the benefit of the holding company and their stockholders, and the benefit of the radio station's advertisers. Any music fans with other than a shallow view of music, are really -NOT- their target audience, regardless of the musical genre.... Corporate Radio stations seek shallow listeners of all genres for their advertisers. Believe me, they've done their research. They know well, that, if you are a serious lover of music, that you will be listening to Satellite and Internet radio, or, the occasional specialty show, that usually appears on Non-Commercial or College stations.

FM rock radio is now the equivalent of riding the local public bus, in contrast to what FM Rock radio used to be a "Magic Carpet Ride", before BIG Business took an interest in FM Rock Radio, and naturally fucked it all up, with narrow playlists, to please those Big $ advertisers and the Radio Network stock holders, seeking that most common of audiences..... a vicious spiral down ... of cultural death.... straight to the bottom of mediocrity !

Archived