Is rock as we know it dead?

eightiesbaby80

I couldn't imagine becoming so obsessed with just one band or one genre/era of music, that I don't think anything else exists. It doesn't seem healthy to me. There are a few bands from that "classic rock" era that I really love, but I don't kid myself into thinking that nothing else has been done since or anything that has been done, sucks.

2/3 of my music collection would be gone if that were the case. I'm still hoping and praying Goldfrapp does some shows in the US. I'm the first in line.

I belong to music lists, message boards and go to concerts frequently. That is how I discover new artists. The best way is still word of mouth, just as it's always been. I have never confined my tastes to new, old or just one style of music and I hope to hell I never do.

Neither have I its just that time remains the best judge of quality, its not that I don't buy any new music but much less so than I did 10-15 years ago which I'd gues sis true for most people as they age.

Neither have I its just that time remains the best judge of quality, its not that I don't buy any new music but much less so than I did 10-15 years ago which I'd gues sis true for most people as they age.

I buy just as much music now as I did several years ago so I'm not sure it's age, at least it isn't for me :)

I couldn't imagine becoming so obsessed with just one band or one genre/era of music, that I don't think anything else exists. It doesn't seem healthy to me. There are a few bands from that "classic rock" era that I really love, but I don't kid myself into thinking that nothing else has been done since or anything that has been done, sucks.

2/3 of my music collection would be gone if that were the case. I'm still hoping and praying Goldfrapp does some shows in the US. I'm the first in line.

I am not locked into just one band. Led Zeppelin is my favorite. I love alot of bands. Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who, The /Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Eagles, Hermans Hermits, Gary Pucket and the Union Gap, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Sinatra, etc. I just dont hear much new music that I like. And I get country shoved down my throat also,. I should also have added groups like Lynrd Skynrd, Allman Bros, Molly Hatchet. Love them all. But none of its new. I am not into alot of the stuff current teen agers are listening to. You are trying to say I only like one band and you are wrong.

Neither statement is true. I buy more music now than I ever have because as I've aged my finances have improved. As for time being the judge of music quality we really have no idea, the oldest recorded music is younger than the oldest people on earth. It's too early to make that assessment.

I am not locked into just one band. Led Zeppelin is my favorite. I love alot of bands. Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who, The /Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Eagles, Hermans Hermits, Gary Pucket and the Union Gap, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Sinatra, etc. I just dont hear much new music that I like. And I get country shoved down my throat also,. I should also have added groups like Lynrd Skynrd, Allman Bros, Molly Hatchet. Love them all. But none of its new. I am not into alot of the stuff current teen agers are listening to. You are trying to say I only like one band and you are wrong.

Really? Gary Puckett? I'm not making fun, I can get down on some "Young Girl", but you'd think someone into something so mainstream and safe would be easy to please. Todays mainstream fluff like John Mayer isn't much of a stretch from Mr. Puckett.

By the way, I see that flute player that always insults me deleted his posts. I can only imagine the words he used against me. He deleted them to save his butt from reprimand. Why he is still here baffles me. I can come on here and discuss music at least without calling people names and insulting them personally. Im sure that is what he did to me, I wouldnt bother to read anything he says.

Hey Joel, Why are you bad mouthing me?

My father was also a good friend of Herb Alpert. Mr. Alpert, as I call him, led a famous band. He was also a co-founder of A & M records. My dad talks to him about twice a year now. The running joke between them is how each of them wanted to sign Ted Nugent to a record contract so they could retire early. They still joke about it. Nugent was making so much money for his record company it was sick. The guy didn't have a drug habit to feed, didn't drink, no stage props, etc, etc. You get it. Ted Nugent the most popular, money making machine of the 70's. FACT!!

My father was also a good friend of Herb Alpert. Mr. Alpert, as I call him, led a famous band. He was also a co-founder of A & M records. My dad talks to him about twice a year now. The running joke between them is how each of them wanted to sign Ted Nugent to a record contract so they could retire early. They still joke about it. Nugent was making so much money for his record company it was sick. The guy didn't have a drug habit to feed, didn't drink, no stage props, etc, etc. You get it. Ted Nugent the most popular, money making machine of the 70's. FACT!!

Too bad Ted doesn't have a brain to go along with his teetotalling and massive success, he filed for bankruptcy in 1980.

Hey Joel, Why are you bad mouthing me?

Ha. You think Im Joel? ha. wrong guy. Joel was here, til yesterday. Besides, anyone can go back on this thread and see how you deleted your words. Obviously attacking me but changing your mind for fear of getting in trouble. You are so predictable as usual. But if you dont believe who I am, go look at the username Oracle. 99 percent of those here know that was Joel and not I. Lets just do each other a favor, and ignore each other. How bout it Jethro?

Just my own personal opinion here...There is so much great music out there. For me I grew up on the 70's music so it is part of what shaped and molded me, so of course it is my music of choice. I am open to a variety of music and have discovered a lot of great music just from being on this forum.

So for me, I still listen to the music that I grew up on from Rock & Roll, The Blues, Jazz, Country, it's natural, and since I listen to Led Zeppelin almost daily, for me ..NO , it's not dead :D

Ok, I told myself I was gonna stay out of this thread and just sit on the side and read :munchies: ,as some argue ,get :offtopic: and sink into the petty bickering :beat: that seems to happen so much on this board. But I changed my mind.

The original question is vague and as already been stated, subjective to the interpretation of the reader.

IS ROCK-whose rock? Rock can be broken down into several catagories and several decades. The rock I would identify in this question may not be the same as someone else.

AS WE KNOW IT - We, as the collective group on this board cannot seem to agree on much around here, but the individual does have life experiences and opinions relating to the question. No one person is wrong.

DEAD-what did the original poster mean by dead? Is no one listening to the music anymore or no one making the music we love anymore.

I venture to restate the question to fit ME. Is the rock I grew up with in the 70's dead? My answer is NO.

As long as that music is being played on the airways, used in commercials, being played at the ballparks etc and people love to listen to it, the music never dies. Is music of that time being made today? I would have to say it is far and few between that there is music coming out today that I enjoy. So I listen to the music of the past, because it makes me happy, and that is what is important. I don't activly seek out new music but I am not closed off to listening to something new if it comes along and making a judgement as to whether I like it or not.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is the thoughts and opinions of ledzepfvr and is not intended to be used to influence or change any other posters opinion. :whistling:

Just my own personal opinion here...There is so much great music out there. For me I grew up on the 70's music so it is part of what shaped and molded me, so of course it is my music of choice. I am open to a variety of music and have discovered a lot of great music just from being on this forum.

So for me, I still listen to the music that I grew up on from Rock & Roll, The Blues, Jazz, Country, it's natural, and since I listen to Led Zeppelin almost daily, for me ..NO , it's not dead :D

Deb, I think they are kind of asking if rock is dead as we know it referring to newer rock. That is how I interpreted it? Of course the seventies rock is not dead. I am with you all the way. I love the old stuff. But it seems they want ot know about the newer music? Perhaps that isnt what they had in mind? But that is how they responded to me. I listen to the seventies, the sixties, the fifties, some eighties, and a variety of types. Hell, I even listen to Sinatra. But I dont listen to punk and to new "rock" and head banging garbage I hear from time to time on the radio.

Deb, I think they are kind of asking if rock is dead as we know it referring to newer rock. That is how I interpreted it? Of course the seventies rock is not dead. I am with you all the way. I love the old stuff. But it seems they want ot know about the newer music? Perhaps that isnt what they had in mind? But that is how they responded to me. I listen to the seventies, the sixties, the fifties, some eighties, and a variety of types. Hell, I even listen to Sinatra. But I dont listen to punk and to new "rock" and head banging garbage I hear from time to time on the radio.

Hi SM! I read the thread, and I think it depends... there are still some great music being created, but for me personally I listen mostly to what I grew up with, also what my parents listened to. And for me that music is alive and kicking in my home. I am open to new bands, but for me the 70's did create the best music. Again, this may be my thought as it was the generation of music that made the most lasting mark on me. I would not trade it for the world either. :-)

All this crapola got started because there's a mindset amongst people that there is no good music anymore and that the only music worth listening to is stuff made before 1980, which is a load of malarkey. There's a TON of great music out there, rock and otherwise, only it doesn't get radio airplay, so you have to want to seek it out and get into it. Rather than do that, people lament the "death" of "rock" when rock is an amorphous word and death is a total lie.

So that's how we arrived to this point.

But they DID sign The Flying Burrito Brothers, thank 'em for that! That's better getting rich out of Nugent. B)

You might aswell change the title of this thread to "Is rock as I knew it dead", I might actually agree with the idea that the 70's was the best decade for music but not simpley because it was the prime years for classic rock. Krautrock, post punk, p-funk etc were all producing quality music but generally ignored by the classic rock audience such as SM.

^^ I suppose we all can choose a favourite decade for rock, but it's getting silly when people just dismiss the 80's up until today and say that rock "as we knew it" is dead. Then you're very misinformed or maybe just to lazy to really discover things.

^^ I suppose we all can choose a favourite decade for rock, but it's getting silly when people just dismiss the 80's up until today and say that rock "as we knew it" is dead. Then you're very misinformed or maybe just to lazy to really discover things.

I agree, I might have the 70's as the best decade but its hardly cut and dry.

To me whenever I see this arguement it tells me the person making it either has a very narrow taste or isnt really much of a music fan. The reason being that as has been pointed out quality music in the 60's and 70's was easy to find since it tended to be more sucessful, hence the kind of person who never looks beyond what falls into there lap from the mainstream media would think it was a far superior era.

I couldn't agree more Swede! Like I said earlier, some of the "mainstream" stuff of the rock 'n' roll genre being produced today may not be as good as the "mainstream" stuff which was being produced back in the glory days (the 60s and the 70s) but there are so many bands in the underground music scene (especially!) who have got genuine talent! And I reinstate the fact that rock can never die...but I do hope that ummm....rap does! LOL! :P;)

Just take a good look at music in the 1920's (the roaring twenties) and then look at the big bands during the war and post war era. And then look at the 50s and the American Grafitti type Buddy Holly era and then the early sixties, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry and then the Beatles invasion. So things were very very different from one decade to the next. The seventies were very very different than now. And in my opinion every single one of those decades I mentioned are far better than today's "music".

:bait:

Archived