Is rock as we know it dead?

eightiesbaby80

Nothing, because that's not what was being discussed. You asked me to name one band that I thought was as good as Pink Floyd. I named four. Then someone agreed with Muse, but disagreed on the other three. I said that doing a direct comparison was impossible for XYZ reasons, XYZ reasons being things that have changed dramatically since Pink Floyd were making music and when the groups I named are making music.

And if you think for one second I believe that you're actually going to YouTube Muse, Goldfrapp, Sigur Ros and The Orb, I have a lovely piece of waterfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

BTW, The Orb has done several remixes of PF songs and David Gilmour just did a record with them so if they're good enough for him, they're more than good enough for me. I trust his taste.

I would guess that Electrophile isn't as keen on PF as you suggest.

I would guess you're a big liar, too.

Nothing, because that's not what was being discussed. You asked me to name one band that I thought was as good as Pink Floyd. I named four. Then someone agreed with Muse, but disagreed on the other three. I said that doing a direct comparison was impossible for XYZ reasons, XYZ reasons being things that have changed dramatically since Pink Floyd were making music and when the groups I named are making music.

And if you think for one second I believe that you're actually going to YouTube Muse, Goldfrapp, Sigur Ros and The Orb, I have a lovely piece of waterfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

BTW, The Orb has done several remixes of PF songs and David Gilmour just did a record with them so if they're good enough for him, they're more than good enough for me. I trust his taste.

I would guess you're a big liar, too.

I am in the process of getting my equipment in order. I just bought a new house, and new flat screen TVS. I have a reciever but need to set up surround. I have computer issues that needed more immediate attention. I will get there and when I do, Ill give a listen. By the way, and Im sure it was part of your sarcastic remark, there is no water in Arizona I dont think expcept man made lakes and lots of swimmin pools. Ha. Now as for your Carolina, that is a differant story. My cousin goes there all the time. I have never been. I dont know if its Raleigh but I think so. I dont know how anyone can be on a Zeppelin site all the time and yet come out with some of the statements I have heard. Like the other guy suggestinig he couldnt decide who were better, them or jethro Tull. ha. No disrespect to Mr Anderson, I love him and his music. But he is not in the same league as Zeppelin and he came here to Rochester countless times, didi not sell out every one. If Zeppelin had come here post 1973, the fucking building would not be standing. There would be riots to get tickets. Well, I better hurry down to the water street grill, Swede is coming down for my autograph tonight. :lol: You may have to wait a while. There is probably a hippy bus with some wanna be punk band that might be lucky to make enough on cover charges to fill half the gas tank. The seventies rule!!!!! Rule!!!!!!!

But Led Zeppelin is far bigger than Jethro Tull.

First, I need to clear something up.

Do you have a learning disability? You seem to read bits and pieces of posts and don't always get the entire message. It's frustrating to communicate with you. Jahfin is clearly frustrated and others are similarly confused about how you communicate.

Also, I seem to remember you are on pain killers for a physical disability. Is it possible that the pain killers you take, inhibit your ability to understand and comprehend the written word. Maybe that's also got something to do with why you get banned so often.

ADD or ADHD maybe?

Now, I'll address your ridiculous comment.....

You say Led Zeppelin is far bigger than Jethro Tull. NOT in the time period 1971 through 1975. I WAS there, totally immersed in music from English bands. And for what it's worth, during the 70's, Tull toured far more than Zeppelin and released more new music.

The passage of time, has been far kinder to Zeppelin's musical legacy than Tull's. Like I say, I was there in the early-mid 70's, so you can't bullshit me (or any of the other intelligent people who post here).

Who said Tull were as good as Zeppelin? I bet he was a yank. You guys loved Tull, because they were a quintessentially English band. And we all know how badly you guys wish you could be English, haha. But over here, they really weren't that popular, and were NEVER even mentioned in the same breath as Zeppelin. We saw them as a 'Hey nonny-nonny' curiosity, rather than a serious rock band. I have known many, many rock fans over the years. None has been into Tull. But yes, they were Big In America. But that accolade was just a precursor to the pejorative term 'Big In Japan'. Loads of money to be reaped from the undiscerning hordes, in other words.

Rick, that's BS. I know loads of people who frequent Tull chat boards who are from England, Italy, Germany, Australia, etc. I'm way too smart for your nonsense.

First, I need to clear something up.

Do you have a learning disability? You seem to read bits and pieces of posts and don't always get the entire message. It's frustrating to communicate with you. Jahfin is clearly frustrated and others are similarly confused about how you communicate.

Also, I seem to remember you are on pain killers for a physical disability. Is it possible that the pain killers you take, inhibit your ability to understand and comprehend the written word. Maybe that's also got something to do with why you get banned so often.

ADD or ADHD maybe?

Now, I'll address your ridiculous comment.....

You say Led Zeppelin is far bigger than Jethro Tull. NOT in the time period 1971 through 1975. I WAS there, totally immersed in music from English bands. And for what it's worth, during the 70's, Tull toured far more than Zeppelin and released more new music.

The passage of time, has been far kinder to Zeppelin's musical legacy than Tull's. Like I say, I was there in the early-mid 70's, so you can't bullshit me (or any of the other intelligent people who post here).

No I dont have ADHD and yes Im on pain killers as I had surgery. What does that have to do with you being dead wrong about Tull ever being as big as Led Zeppelin. You are the only fool here that would say that Im quite sure. I am sure your buddy Jahfin can argue for himself. You think you are right but you are as wrong as can be on the Tull issue. What else was your business here other than to start trouble with me? And bringing up my medical problem that was recent. Do you think because I had back surgery I dont know anything. I do have a college degree. So I have to have some common sense based on that alone. You coming up with this ADHD, which is usually cured with ridelin, is enough grounds for me to pm the admin for you causing trouble and insulting me. But I wont do that. I will just leave it unless you persist with the insults. Then I will be forced to bring them in on this. This is a mucical argument. But you and Lizzy have chosen to use personal attacks as usual.

No I dont have ADHD and yes Im on pain killers as I had surgery. What does that have to do with you being dead wrong about Tull ever being as big as Led Zeppelin. You are the only fool here that would say that Im quite sure. I am sure your buddy Jahfin can argue for himself. You think you are right but you are as wrong as can be on the Tull issue. What else was your business here other than to start trouble with me? And bringing up my medical problem that was recent. Do you think because I had back surgery I dont know anything. I do have a college degree. So I have to have some common sense based on that alone. You coming up with this ADHD, which is usually cured with ridelin, is enough grounds for me to pm the admin for you causing trouble and insulting me. But I wont do that. I will just leave it unless you persist with the insults. Then I will be forced to bring them in on this. This is a mucical argument. But you and Lizzy have chosen to use personal attacks as usual.

Thanks for your reply. You confirmed EVERYTHING I wrote.

In what way? There are many people here that are aware of you and your trouble making ways. Run off now Jethro. Its been fun chatting.

LOL!! Like I said, each of your posts confirm my suspicions.

BTW, you're the one who has been banned a dozen times.

But not quite as smart as you think, Jethro Dull. My name's Andy - pleased to meet you.

I have been listening to rock music since 1970, and I can confirm that Tull were seen by the cognoscenti over here as strictly 2nd Division. Sorry if the truth hurts.

Rick, maybe you should read some copies of Melody Maker from the early to mid 70's.

Rick, maybe you should read some copies of Melody Maker from the early to mid 70's.

I am not AJ. I am silvermedalist, and the administrators of this forum know who I am and I am here with their permisiion. Are you going to keep the trouble going>? Last chance Jethro. You keep it up with the insults, I am going to have to let someone else handle it. If they think I am go blame so be it. but I am disussing music and dont agree with your opinion that Tull is as big as Zeppelin. I am done talking to you. So get that through your skull!!!!

You are goiing on my ignore list now.

I am not AJ. I am silvermedalist, and the administrators of this forum know who I am and I am here with their permisiion. Are you going to keep the trouble going>? Last chance Jethro. You keep it up with the insults, I am going to have to let someone else handle it. If they think I am go blame so be it. but I am disussing music and dont agree with your opinion that Tull is as big as Zeppelin. I am done talking to you. So get that through your skull!!!!

You are goiing on my ignore list now.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Listen up, Death-Throes, anyone who knows anything about the British music press will tell you that MM was a haven for dodgy prog bands, and a happy home for the likes of Tull. MM was derided in the late 70s for its failure to embrace the New Music, by which I mean punk and new wave. Instead, it continued to focus on lumbering, anachronistic behemoths such as ELP. I will never forget their coverage of the Works tour, whislt they stubbornly refused to move out of their comfort zone and risk getting covered in beer and/or sputum at a Pistols or Clash gig.

So don't come on like some kind of transatlantic know-it-all, cos you ain't. And stop calling me Rick, you buffoon.

Interesting how you just joined the chat forum today and instantly struck up a friendship with Silvermentalist. And this is the only topic you are posting in. ROTFLMAO!!

I absolutely agree with Sigur Ross and Fleet Foxes! Don't know Broken Bells. I've been listening a lot to the Black Keys and Arcade Fire - both new records are fantastic!

The Black Keys are great! I saw them in '03 at Chastain in Atlanta, GA when they opened for Beck on his Sea Change tour.

The Black Keys are great! I saw them in '03 at Chastain in Atlanta, GA when they opened for Beck on his Sea Change tour.

I saw them last month for the first time and they were amazing.

I meant to comment on something you said earlier about bands of today being just as good but not in the same way as bands of the past. I absolutely agree - you can't really compare because music evolves (as it should) and so did the way it's promoted. Taking Pink Floyd - yes they were brilliant and certainly ground breaking and have influenced a good many bands over the years who have proved their own musical worth but regardless of being influenced by them, they've made their own sound. Same thing that Zep did - took the influences of the blues, folk, North African sounds and made it their own.

Exactly. In 40 years, maybe we'll look back on some of these current bands and say they were our Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Rolling Stones. And those bands will be like Elvis, Frank Sinatra and swing-era bands are to us now.

It's cyclical. Music can only die when you kill it.

I saw them last month for the first time and they were amazing.

I meant to comment on something you said earlier about bands of today being just as good but not in the same way as bands of the past. I absolutely agree - you can't really compare because music evolves (as it should) and so did the way it's promoted. Taking Pink Floyd - yes they were brilliant and certainly ground breaking and have influenced a good many bands over the years who have proved their own musical worth but regardless of being influenced by them, they've made their own sound. Same thing that Zep did - took the influences of the blues, folk, North African sounds and made it their own.

Technology evolves. The ability to sing or play an instrument does not. Just because we have better televisions, and computers and have the advanced technology of IPods and internet, does that mean that musicians are better too? There are piano and violin players that played 500 years ago just as well if not better than many today. The ability to sing and play and instrument is a form of art. Yes there is technical know how behind it such as theory, but it existed long ago and has not changed. An A sharp bar chord was an A sharp bar chord in 1960 and it is still an A sharp bar chord today. All the advanced technology in the world cannot change the fundamentals of music. The conventional and bar chords, scales, and major and minor chords and sharps and flats.. So just becasuse technology has advanced as it is going to, it does not mean the ability to sing and play as an artist has changed one bit.

Archived