Is rock as we know it dead?

eightiesbaby80

You will not get viruses watching youtube videos..... Check qouted post. You got several people in this forum that would happily recomend you stuff that we think is great. I can assure you this forum is a much better source for great new music than the frickin' mainstream radio.

I love "The Hellacopters" :wub:....but my question is why the fuck did they have to disband???! Its not fair! :angry:

I love "The Hellacopters" :wub:....but my question is why the fuck did they have to disband???! Its not fair! :angry:

Yes, I know, it's a fuckin shame.. They said they wanted to lay off before it would start to wear on them and that it was better to disband while they were on top of things.. I went to their farwell concerts, 25th and 26th Oct 2008.. It will stay in my memory forever.

Nicke "Royale" Andersson, their guitarist/singer/songwriter and brain behind Hellacopters has got a new band, which isn't that bad.. Imperial State Electric. They resently released their debut album which sounds great too.

Here's a couple of tunes from ISE album recorded live on national TV this spring:

Resign is a great powerpop tune while Deja Vu is a great rocker with some really nice guitar playing.

Good songs you posted of ISE Swede.

Thanks. I haven't got the album myself yet, but I will. The first pressing of the vinyl version went out of print in a second.. I am waiting for the second press which should be out in a month or so. :D

The radio is a horrible indicator for what is good.

For the most part, this is true but there are exceptions. In my area the college stations are very strong such as WUNC (Carolina), WKNC (NC State), WXDU (Duke) and WXYC (Carolina). On a national level there's KEXP (Seattle), KGSR (Austin), KPIG (CA), WXPN (PA), WFMU (NY) and others. These stations all have their own original programming plus a lot of them carry very informative shows such as Sound Opinions and The Sound of Young America that are well worth tuning in for.

Thanks. I haven't got the album myself yet, but I will. The first pressing of the vinyl version went out of print in a second.. I am waiting for the second press which should be out in a month or so. :D

Very popular in Sweden I assume. If they ever make it to the US like The Hellacopters did I'll make sure I catch them.

Very popular in Sweden I assume. If they ever make it to the US like The Hellacopters did I'll make sure I catch them.

Yes, and also by old Hellacopters fans I guess. Hopefully Nicke won't be able to stay away from the road, and ending up touring 'round the world again. :)

For the most part, this is true but there are exceptions. In my area the college stations are very strong such as WUNC (Carolina), WKNC (NC State), WXDU (Duke) and WXYC (Carolina). On a national level there's KEXP (Seattle), KGSR (Austin), KPIG (CA), WXPN (PA), WFMU (NY) and others. These stations all have their own original programming plus a lot of them carry very informative shows such as Sound Opinions and The Sound of Young America that are well worth tuning in for.

I agree with you re: college radio. Unfortunately, I can't pick up those stations over here in the sticks where I live, so I'm stuck with internet/satellite radio, which is fine by me. I think I get a better selection of music that way, than if I were to turn on my radio and tune it to some random station.

One radio station I wish we DID have here is a smooth jazz station. I love that music, and both Chicago and Atlanta had one, so when we were living in those cities, it was easy to listen to.

I agree with you re: college radio. Unfortunately, I can't pick up those stations over here in the sticks where I live, so I'm stuck with internet/satellite radio, which is fine by me. I think I get a better selection of music that way, than if I were to turn on my radio and tune it to some random station.

I listen almost exclusively to internet radio via iTunes. In the car it's the local stations plus satellite.

Wait, you think you can get a virus on your computer by watching a video on YouTube? Which by the by, is the only site I suggested?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't you have anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware software on your computer anyway? So even if your silly postulation were true, if you have the appropriate programs on your system, nothing will happen. Nothing is going to happen because hundreds of millions of people watch YouTube videos every day around the world, and if there was an inherent virus threat, don't you think there'd be something about that somewhere?

BTW, if you don't like this thread, DON'T READ IT. Real simple. Just because you're losing every argument you get into in this thread doesn't mean it needs to be deleted. It means you need to know when to give up.

According to you Electro I am losing every argument? What a joke. You are just combative and everyone knows it. You might have a thorn in your foot and need it removed. As for knowing how to play an instrument and knowing a bit about theory, you can usually get a better idea of what is advanced and what is just banging a few chords away over and over. Swede, you should know that? Now come on? You have to admit its an advantage to know something about music in that regard? Someone that has no knowledge of music probably thinks its as easy to play Back in Black by ACDC as it is to play Achilles Last Stand by Led Zeppelin for an example. And why does it matter, because it shows that they are better musicians and more knowledgable musicians for one thing. Ok, you like the sound just as well, that is your choice. I have no problem with it. But dont try to tell me that Angus Young can play the guitar as well as Jimmy Page. if you do, go jump in the lake. And as for going to many concerts, it does give one some extra background as a musical judge. Are we not all judgiing music here in these every day arguments? Yes we are. And there is no use for an upstate New Yorker trying to agree with two North Carolina know it alls. I have been around a lot longer than you Electro. I know a few things that you dont know. You dont respect anyone. You just find ways to come on here and trash me and insult me.

Yeah no. Using any rock music, well most of it, as an example of stellar musicianship is a bit of a stretch. It's the music of rebellion and is a pretty simple form compared to something like jazz or classical. Sure there's a difference between a band like Zep and AC\DC but it's not the same as the difference between either band and Mozart. Even the most technical rock is still based in repetitve patterns and a handful of chords, when it goes beyond that it usually is called something else.

Are you thick? You can't be a bandwagon fan when you started rooting for them when they weren't winning. I've been a Red Wings fan for 20 years. They didn't start winning until 1997. It's now 2010. That's not a 20-year difference if you can do simple math.

Seriously. :rolleyes:

Getting this thread back on topic now, sorry for the detour into what hockey team so-and-so roots for, since I'm pretty sure none of you care.

I listen almost exclusively to internet radio via iTunes. In the car it's the local stations plus satellite.

You listen through iTunes as well? Awesome. I thought I was the only person I knew who did that. :lol:

If you want another great link to listen to internet radio, try here --> http://www.musicchoice.com/

I have those channels on my TV as part of my digital cable package, and there are some GREAT stations there. Everything from contemporary to blues.

Ok, you like the sound just as well, that is your choice. I have no problem with it. But dont try to tell me that Angus Young can play the guitar as well as Jimmy Page. if you do, go jump in the lake.

Please tell us again who the combative, know-it-all is?

We have a few good radio stations in town. Once is very cool, no commercials and a wide playlist. The other day I heard Country Joe and the Fish right after a Jimmy Reed tune. They mix in a lot of the usual classic rock stuff, abusive with the amount of Badfinger they play, but by and large the majority of it is out of the ordinary for FM these days. I actually think someone there is spinning albums, have a tough time believe the afore mention Country Joe tune (Donovan's Reef) is on someone's commercial loop.

To play it safe in the office I usually tune in the local "classic hits" station, which somehow ranges from Madonna to 5th Dimension. As much as I prefer something more adventurous I can't image how uncomfortable I'd be if I had the cool station on as they fire up something like Heroin as I'm trying to close a deal with some nice older folks.

The two from N Car

I'm not sure what "N Car" is but you might want to try reading your own posts sometime. You are definitely guilty of the very things you are accusing others of which is exactly why you've been banned from here so many times you can't even keep track.

I'm not sure what "N Car" is but you might want to try reading your own posts sometime. You are definitely guilty of the very things you are accusing others of which is exactly why you've been banned from here so many times you can't even keep track.

In that person's defense it's easy to see how they might have a bit of an attitude, in 12 pages of posts in this thread I don't think one person has agreed with anything he's posted. It's got to be tough being that alienated.

Archived