Major league bands you just don't 'get'

EricZepp

Damn, you gave your dad the DVD and you haven't seen it yet?! :D;) You'll HAVE to watch it, it's great!!! LOL I've seen it several times LOL

LOL! I know! :lol: I feel like a bit of an idiot right now! :blush::lol: This was 6 years ago! LOL! :lol:

I was like : "Hey Dad! I know you really love this band called "The Who" so, I bought you this DVD called "Quadrophenia" or something because I researched about it and it was "The Who" related stuff so SUPRISE!"

LOL! I ain't kidding! Those were my exact words! :blush:

Don't get me wrong neither of the two concept albums nore any of the others the Who released from the 60's and 70's are "bad" in my eyes, just not as good as their reputation makes them IMHO. As a result I don't consider The Who to really be up there with The Beatles, the Stones, Zep and Floyd as one of the mega bands, more on the same kind of level as someone like Queen.

I spose the difference is that while tyhe other three all added alot The Who were ultimately very much Townsend's band where as all of those others had multiple members contributing greatly which brought greater variety and consistancey.

The Real Me is great. I especially like it in the movie Quadrophenia, the opening scene.. Excellent movie BTW!

Any of you seen the movie?

Yes, I absolutely love it!

Have you seen McVicar?

No, I haven't. Years ago, I went to see The Song Remains the Same and they were showing the Skynryd tribute short prior to the feature. Shortly thereafter, Quadrophenia came to town that also opened with the Skynyrd short so a bunch of friends and I piled up in the car just to see the short. When we arrived, we learned the film had broke so I have never seen Quadrophenia. Just added it to my Wishlist on Amazon though.

Sorry you didn't got to see it at the theatre. Hope you get a copy soon, I really recomend seeing it..

Yes, I absolutely love it!

Have you seen McVicar?

Must have missed that one, can't recall I ever heard of it. Is it any good?

Must have missed that one, can't recall I ever heard of it. Is it any good?

Very good, it's based on the true life story of armed robber John McVicar. Daltrey is on fine form.

MCVICAR.jpg

LOL! I know! :lol: I feel like a bit of an idiot right now! :blush::lol: This was 6 years ago! LOL! :lol:

I was like : "Hey Dad! I know you really love this band called "The Who" so, I bought you this DVD called "Quadrophenia" or something because I researched about it and it was "The Who" related stuff so SUPRISE!"

LOL! I ain't kidding! Those were my exact words! :blush:

Haven't seen Quadrophenia in years, but it is a great movie; that's another we used to be able to see at midnight :)

Re: Pink Floyd...I am a big fan, but don't care for The Wall. O.D.'d on it in high school, I think. My brother used to play it over and over and over.

I'm also kind of "meh" on AC/DC. Back in Black is probably one of my most played vinyl albums, but they were the most disappointing live band I've ever seen. They were a total mess that night, and I never quite loved them again. :( This was sometime ~ 1985'ish (?), Roanoke Civic Center. Some Japanese heavy metal band opened for them.

I'm also kind of "meh" on AC/DC. Back in Black is probably one of my most played vinyl albums, but they were the most disappointing live band I've ever seen. They were a total mess that night, and I never quite loved them again. :( This was sometime ~ 1985'ish (?), Roanoke Civic Center. Some Japanese heavy metal band opened for them.

How you are with Pink Floyd I am with AC/DC, them being one of my all time favorite bands. However, I'm not much of a fan of the Brian Johnson era. Are you also meh on the Bon Scott stuff? Which if you are is fine.

This is my favorite performance from the Plug Me In DVD.

Speaking just for myself, I have little to no interest in AC/DC post-Bon Scott other than Back In Black. I realize artists have to go to desperate measures these days to sell "product" but that's exactly how their deal with Walmart struck me. Here's a business that has attempted to sanitize their music department in order to present a wholesome image to the public. Who ever figured they'd partner with AC/DC, a band known for being anything but "wholesome"? Like the saying goes, "Money talks and bullshit walks". It just goes to show that even AC/DC and Walmart have a price.

^ Yeah I was a little put off by that. Money being their intention they did make the Forbes Magazine's top earning musicians list. "Sales of 'Ice' combined with international catalog sales made AC/DC the No. 1 catalog artist of 2008. As well, their domestic tour grossed $38 million in 2008."

Another major league band which I really do not and will not ever get is Metallica! Why? Because they really creep me out! :angry:

I have tried so hard to check them out on shows like "Rock Rules"...hell, I even tried to preview some their albums on itunes! Did absolutely nothing except give me a fuckin' headache and a scare! :angry:

Steve Miller Band. I just don't like them at all. I'm also not a big Rush fan. I mean I get that Neil Peart is an incredible drummer but Geddy's voice is just so annoying lol. Also Styx & AC/DC.

...but you like Hanson? Go figure...

I'm curious what era of the Steve Miller Band you've listened to? There's an era that predates his run in the 70s and 80s when the music of the Steve Miller Band was decidedly more blues-based. Have you given any of his tunes from that time period a listen?

...but you like Hanson? Go figure...

I'm curious what era of the Steve Miller Band you've listened to? There's an era that predates his run in the 70s and 80s when the music of the Steve Miller Band was decidedly more blues-based. Have you given any of his tunes from that time period a listen?

I don't just like Hanson, I love Hanson. And yeah, I've listened to some of the blues stuff he's done. I just don't like him. Hanson is actually a really good band. I just asked my dad, who is a huge blues fan, who he likes better: Hanson or Steve Miller and he went with Hanson. Go figure.

Honestly there are many bands\artists I don't appreciate, well known and not. My list seems to be increasing with age, time isn't kind to things I used to like, production sounds dated and the lyrics become absurd to me despite understanding the times etc. Bands that didn't follow trends tend to fare better with my tastes. Not willing to list any examples but there are many big bands I've never liked simply because the music didn't do anything for me.

Another group I never "got" were the Grateful Dead. I've heard a few of their songs.......does nothing for me.

Once in a blue moon I'll listen to them, but for the most part, me too. But I could listen to DMB all day long :)

The Grateful Dead are really quite a phenomenon. I've heard them referred to as a jug band. Not sure that's quite accurate, but when you take into consideration the type of music they played, the era they played in and the level of popularity they obtained, it's an amazing story. I really enjoy Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. Probably boring stuff to a bonafide Dead fan, but there are some great tunes on both of those LP's. Plus there is a quality to Jerry's voice that is just awesome.

The Grateful Dead were so multi-faceted there were several ways in which you could approach their music: by seeing them live, the "hits" on the radio and the studio/live recordings. Because of the "Deadhead" phenomenon some people decided they didn't like them based solely on that without even hearing a note of their music. Speaking just for myself, Workingman's Dead was among my first album purchases in the early to mid-70s. I basically only knew Casey Jones from the radio but that record really opened my ears up to lots of new sounds whether it be folk, country, bluegrass or rock n' roll. Somehow they managed to cover all of the bases and then some. This was way before I knew anything about the magic of their live shows or the Deadhead's tribal-like subculture. It was the music and the music only that attracted me. That said, they're definitely one of those bands that aren't for everybody. As Jerry Garcia was often quoted, ""We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice." I only saw four shows over the years but I can say without hesitation that I have never witnessed anything like the communal spirit that was in full effect at a Grateful Dead concert. No other band has created as devoted a following (and a subculture to boot) and most likely, never will. They were that rare band, like Zeppelin, the Beatles or R.E.M. that only come along once in a lifetime. I am just glad I got to be a part of it for a short while.

The Grateful Dead were so multi-faceted there were several ways in which you could approach their music: by seeing them live, the "hits" on the radio and the studio/live recordings. Because of the "Deadhead" phenomenon some people decided they didn't like them based solely on that without even hearing a note of their music. Speaking just for myself, Workingman's Dead was among my first album purchases in the early to mid-70s. I basically only knew Casey Jones from the radio but that record really opened my ears up to lots of new sounds whether it be folk, country, bluegrass or rock n' roll. Somehow they managed to cover all of the bases and then some. This was way before I knew anything about the magic of their live shows or the Deadhead's tribal-like subculture. It was the music and the music only that attracted me. That said, they're definitely one of those bands that aren't for everybody. As was often quoted, ""We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice." I only saw four shows over the years but I can say without hesitation that I have never witnessed anything like the communal spirit that was in full effect at a Grateful Dead concert. No other band has created as devoted a following (and a subculture to boot) and most likely, never will. They were that band, like Zeppelin, the Beatles or R.E.M. that only come along once in a lifetime. I am just glad I got to be a part of it.

They certainly had and still have their loyal followers. Personally, I saw them twice. Indoors once and outdooors once. I do not particulaly like them as a band but I did like Garcia. He was a damn good guitarist and in my opinion made them a success more than any other member. Too bad he met his end so soon. The Stones too have a followiing and so do many others but the "dead heads" are unique. I remember how far some traveled to see them.

They certainly had and still have their loyal followers. Personally, I saw them twice. Indoors once and outdooors once. I do not particulaly like them as a band but I did like Garcia. He was a damn good guitarist and in my opinion made them a success more than any other member. Too bad he met his end so soon. The Stones too have a followiing and so do many others but the "dead heads" are unique. I remember how far some traveled to see them.

What a short memory you have. Remember this?

[.Dont talk to me again Jahfin. And Ill do the same

Jerry was an amazing and unique guitarist. His solo stuff was great and really came across well live.

Archived