Major league bands you just don't 'get'

EricZepp

Re: Pink Floyd...I am a big fan, but don't care for The Wall. O.D.'d on it in high school, I think. My brother used to play it over and over and over.

My best friend is a "Wall-Nut". He still gets into it and he pretends he's 'the teacher". "Well what do we have here lad? Mysterious scriblings? A secret code?" The upcoming Roger Waters "Wall" concert is a dream come true for him, I'll be with him to experience that this November.

Has anyone actually got into the music of the band "Yes"? I find their music a bit strange! :unsure:

My dad seems to like their music (a lot!) but this is one band I think I'll stay away from! I tried listening to their album "Fragile" today and quite frankly, it was weird! :wacko:

Don't listen to them much anymore but their early stuff I love - Tales From Topographic Oceans my favorite album along with Fragile and Close to the Edge.

Don't listen to them much anymore but their early stuff I love - Tales From Topographic Oceans my favorite album along with Fragile and Close to the Edge.

Along with The Yes Album. Great band !

Has anyone actually got into the music of the band "Yes"? I find their music a bit strange! :unsure:

Love them but I'm not as into them as I once was. I still need to fill out my collection with some of their stuff though. Also, with Yes it depends on what era you're referring to. They've been through several different permutations through the years both personnel and music-wise. Apparently the current version of the band doesn't even include (vocalist) Jon Anderson. Some of their music is the very definition of prog-rock while some of the more latter day stuff (such as 90125) is more pop oriented.

Love them but I'm not as into them as I once was. I still need to fill out my collection with some of their stuff though. Also, with Yes it depends on what era you're referring to. They've been through several different permutations through the years both personnel and music-wise. Apparently the current version of the band doesn't even include (vocalist) Jon Anderson. Some of their music is the very definition of prog-rock while some of the more latter day stuff (such as 90125) is more pop oriented.

It's definitely the Bruford years for me. Thought they lost the plot a bit when he left the band.

Well, I said nothing rude as you did. I only said something about Garcia. So what is the problem with you starting all the time? I just dont get you.

Like-wise. On the one hand you'll come out and say things like "I"m outta here" or "don't talk to me and I won't talk to you", then suddenly you act as though you've never even said those things at all. Same goes for how you handle yourself here. One second you seem calm and reasonable but within the next you're going off on everyone around you. I honestly have no problem with you but if you constantly feel victimized or under attack then I have to ask, how do you expect people to respond to you here?

Personally I think the Dead are a band that gets pigeon-holed because of their fans. Sure they had a unique following but musically they had a lot going for them. At times it seemed to me the music became secondary to the lifestyle for the fans.

This had reached a peak by the time In the Dark came out and Touch of Grey scored them their first ever Top 10 hit. Sadly, this was also around the same time I saw them in concert for the very first time ('89). Still, that particular concert stands as one of my very favorites of all time. It was clear though, there were a lot of people showing up just for the "party" that didn't really give a shit about the music. The problem only escalated from that point on.

This is a really odd topic. The reason being, if you truly "don't get" a major league band, then you probably don't even think they are a major league band. :blink::blink:

That's because this is an odd place with odd people. Some like me are odder than most :lol:

I have never gotten into Yes, but I believe if I would try I'd start with The Yes Album. That's mostly because I really like what Steve Howe did with the great psychedelic band Tomorrow.

I agree. I did like Roundabout and a few. But I always thought they were a bit overated like REO. I saw them in the round back in the late 70s or early 80s. Was a bit disappointed. And Rick Wakeman was there.

I don't think this is an odd topic. The generally well-regarded and successful bands will not appeal to everyone.

I really don't 'get' The Grateful Dead, never have. I bought 'Live/Dead' just to hear the epic 'Dark Star'. What a let-down that was.

On the subject of Yes, I used to have all their albums up to Tormato. The only ones I kept are Close to the Edge, Topographic, Relayer and Going For The One. I would say Topo & Relayer are my favourites. I think out of the 'progressive' bands, Yes have aged well and remain perfectly listenable, unlike ELP and Genesis for example.

I don't think this is an odd topic. The generally well-regarded and successful bands will not appeal to everyone.

I really don't 'get' The Grateful Dead, never have. I bought 'Live/Dead' just to hear the epic 'Dark Star'. What a let-down that was.

On the subject of Yes, I used to have all their albums up to Tormato. The only ones I kept are Close to the Edge, Topographic, Relayer and Going For The One. I would say Topo & Relayer are my favourites. I think out of the 'progressive' bands, Yes have aged well and remain perfectly listenable, unlike ELP and Genesis for example.

I like some of ELP. The old stuff. Emerson is a great musician. Another band that doesnt seem to get alot of respect is Styx. I personallly like them. I dont listen to them lately, but liked some of their old stuff. Including Paradise Threatre.

That's an interesting first post for a new member of the chat room. Almost like you've been here for years. Why don't you go over to the "Meet and Greet" section and introduce yourself.

I'm curious as to when REO were ever highly rated? Yes, on the other hand, were one of the pioneers of what became known as progressive rock so I believe any recognition they've received over the years is well deserved. Funny thing is, so many of the bands that catch hell such as REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey, Foreigner, Kansas, etc. actually do have some decent material but for the most part those songs are overshadowed by extremely weak material. There's a reason why they've become the laughingstock of rock over the years.

I like alot of Journey with Perry. Songs like Dont Stop Believiin and Open Arms. Foreigner I liked alot when Lou Gramm was there siinger the original group. Of course he is from my home town. Lou. My sister used to get her haircut from his wife. The old stuff like Rev on the Red Light was good. That song was about Rochester, NY, my home town. Car racing on Lake Ave. They had some reall good songs. But most of those bands would put out two or three good albums and that would be it. I dont know where one would put Aerosmith? Where do they belong? Certanly the first three albums were great. I think I with dream on and Mama Kin and II with Train Kept a Rollin were the best. Then Toys in the attic. Then it was all down hill. But they have to be mentioned as being a good band at the very least

I like everything Aerosmith did up until Night In the Ruts with their last truly great record being Rocks. As the years progressed they fell vicitm to the MTV power ballad mentality and even brought in outside writers to help them score "hit" songs. That is not the Aerosmith I once knew and loved. I will say, the one and only time I saw them in concert (Get A Grip tour) that they are still a very ferocious live act. Cool to seem them ironing out their differences as of late and even bringing some old gems into the set (I See You Crying, No More, No More, etc.). Perhaps this will lead to them recording one more decent album along the lines of their early work. I just hope it doesn't have any MTV-friendly power ballads on it. You See Me Crying, I love. Amazing? Not so much....

I'm curious as to when REO were ever highly rated? Yes, on the other hand, were one of the pioneers of what became known as progressive rock so I believe any recognition they've received over the years is well deserved. Funny thing is, so many of the bands that catch hell such as REO Speedwagon, Styx, Journey, Foreigner, Kansas, etc. actually do have some decent material but for the most part those songs are overshadowed by extremely weak material. There's a reason why they've become the laughingstock of rock over the years.

HELL YES.

Styx: Renegade, Crystal Ball ; Babe, Mr. Roboto

Journey: Wheel In The Sky, Lights ; Open Arms, Faithfully

Foreigner: Hot Blooded, Double Vision ; I Want To Know What Love Is, Waiting For A Girl Like You

REO Speedwagon: Take It On The Run, Roll With The Changes ; Keep On Loving You, I Can't Fight This Feeling

There's a pattern there. First I listed the more rock-not-schlock songs, then I listed the syrupy pablum power ballad shit they put out later in the 80s when MTV came calling.

This is a really odd topic. The reason being, if you truly "don't get" a major league band, then you probably don't even think they are a major league band. :blink::blink:

Not necessarily true. I think The Who are a major league band, I'm just not enthused with them. Some people like the big arena rock dinosaur classic rock giants and some don't. It doesn't mean in all cases, you can't appreciate the scope of the group in question. I can appreciate the artistry of The Who and how big they were and how much of himself Pete put into the songs, but that doesn't mean I like everything they did.

It's give and take.

I like everything Aerosmith did up until Night In the Ruts with their last truly great record being Rocks. As the years progressed they fell vicitm to the MTV power ballad mentality and even brought in outside writers to help them score "hit" songs. That is not the Aerosmith I once knew and loved. I will say, the one and only time I saw them in concert (Get A Grip tour) that they are still a very ferocious live act. Cool to seem them ironing out their differences as of late and even bringing some old gems into the set (I See You Crying, No More, No More, etc.). Perhaps this will lead to them recording one more decent album along the lines of their early work. I just hope it doesn't have any MTV-friendly power ballads on it. You See Me Crying, I love. Amazing? Not so much....

I actually saw them three times back in the early days. After their second album and third album releases included and they were just fabulous. Perry was great on guitar and they were one of my favorite bands then. Tyler just like Jagger and Plant could really play the harmonica well and that added to their charm. I believe Rocks was number four, right after Toys in the Attic. But if I had to rate the albums, I would have to rater them in this order. 2-1-3-4. Like the Stones, probably outstayed their welcome a bit, as they are not ever going to sound as good as in those days, but if they do put something new together, I hope it is good. The thing that made Zeppelin so great was their ability to change their style of music from album to album. None of the other good bands, Aerosmith included, could achieve that. And that is what made the difference between being very good and great or a super group.

Archived