Major league bands you just don't 'get'

EricZepp

I've never gotten into any prog rock besides Pink Floyd...I think it's an important musical development, but it just doesn't do it for me, except for Journey's "Don't Stop Believin"

'Don't Stop Believing' prog? Are you sure about that?

If you're still at all curious, can I suggest the following:

'Utopia' and 'Ra' by Todd Rundgren's Utopia;

Some of ELP's less bombastic moments, such as Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery (particularly Karn Evil 9);

Relayer by Yes, and their unfairly maligned Topographic Ocens. Both are beautiful listening experiences, once you get your head around them.

However, it would be wise to continue to steer well clear of the Crims.

I'm sure I am going to be crucified for saying this but I never liked the Beatles except for a few songs (mostly George Harrison's compositions). Even as a little kid in the 60's I used to run to change the station on the radio when "Hey Jude" or "Let it Be" came on. Will anyone else admit to feeling this way? Was it because the songs were so ubiquitous and I got sick of them, like STH in the 70's? I feel like some kind of pariah when people gush about the Beatles and I just don't feel the same way.

'Don't Stop Believing' prog? Are you sure about that?

If you're still at all curious, can I suggest the following:

'Utopia' and 'Ra' by Todd Rundgren's Utopia;

Some of ELP's less bombastic moments, such as Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery (particularly Karn Evil 9);

Relayer by Yes, and their unfairly maligned Topographic Ocens. Both are beautiful listening experiences, once you get your head around them.

However, it would be wise to continue to steer well clear of the Crims.

Ha, good point - Don't Stop is pretty much pop. It's still got that kind of grandiose and spacey production, though.

I'll have to give those a try...I'm tired of the same ol', so I'm willing to give anything a listen right now.

I'm sure I am going to be crucified for saying this but I never liked the Beatles except for a few songs (mostly George Harrison's compositions). Even as a little kid in the 60's I used to run to change the station on the radio when "Hey Jude" or "Let it Be" came on. Will anyone else admit to feeling this way? Was it because the songs were so ubiquitous and I got sick of them, like STH in the 70's? I feel like some kind of pariah when people gush about the Beatles and I just don't feel the same way.

I grew up when the Beatles were everything to everyone. I can't say I ran screaming to change the radio dial whenever a tune of theirs came on, but I always felt they got maybe just a bit too much publicity for what they did. The thing about them though is they were cultural icons, not just a band.

I did enjoy them a lot though, just like the majority of humanity did back then, and still do.

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the topic at hand. I, personally, would not classify them as a Major league band, however (I realize that some might), I would say that R.E.M. is one these kind of bands. Hate me for saying this if You must, but, I absolutely do not see any appeal about this band, both musically and relevantly. Sorry to those who like R.E.M., just the way I think and feel. I will go as far as saying that Michael Stipe is probably the worst frontman ever.

I would say that U2 is considered to be a Major league band, but, I, again, do not see the appeal. I think Bono considers himself a Humanatarian and world Ambassador more and more lately. I think that this has gone to his head. Do not get me wrong, some of the things he preaches and rallies around are very good things. In my personal opinion, the best and only U2 song that I can listen to and appreciate is "Bullet the Blue Sky".

By the way, I am ready for any and all onslaught that may come my way for saying that R.E.M. and U2 are bands that YOU (I) JUST DON'T GET.

Not a big U2 fan but REM is arguably beyond reproach. They've never fallen out of touch with their intent, and the music continues to amaze.

Not a big U2 fan but REM is arguably beyond reproach. They've never fallen out of touch with their intent, and the music continues to amaze.

Hi 'SharPei_Ibuprofin'

Dog with a Headache?

Love the Avatar, that kid is gonna get so much stick when he gets to school, "Oi 8 eyes, will you keep one open for me?" :lol:

Can you imagine if he needs glasses, he'll have to pay a visit to Elton Johns Goggle Maker rather than Spec-savers. :o

Regards, Danny

PS, I could never see the appeal of U2, over rated to the extreme in my honest opinion, buy there's Music Fashion for you. :rolleyes:

Hi 'SharPei_Ibuprofin'

Dog with a Headache?

Love the Avatar, that kid is gonna get so much stick when he gets to school, "Oi 8 eyes, will you keep one open for me?" :lol:

Can you imagine if he needs glasses, he'll have to pay a visit to Elton Johns Goggle Maker rather than Spec-savers. :o

Regards, Danny

PS, I could never see the appeal of U2, over rated to the extreme in my honest opinion, buy there's Music Fashion for you. :rolleyes:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: This is the funniest post on the forum HANDS DOWN! I love SharPei_Ibuprofin's crazy avi too! B)

Danny, till now, I was suffering from a really awful headache because I am quite tensed at the moment but seeing your post, I nearly died laughing! Gosh! Your sense of humour is just fantastic (especially the part about Spec Savers (my mom has got a pair of glasses from there!) and Elton John's "goggle" maker! :thumbsup:

BTW, I've added you to my friend's list if that's ok! I find your posts really interesting to read!

Cheers! :D

Kiwi.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: This is the funniest post on the forum HANDS DOWN! I love SharPei_Ibuprofin's crazy avi too! B)

Danny, till now, I was suffering from a really awful headache because I am quite tensed at the moment but seeing your post, I nearly died laughing! Gosh! Your sense of humour is just fantastic (especially the part about Spec Savers (my mom has got a pair of glasses from there!) and Elton John's "goggle" maker! :thumbsup:

BTW, I've added you to my friend's list if that's ok! I find your posts really interesting to read!

Cheers! :D

Kiwi.

Hi Kiwi,

You are most welcome, and should change your name to "Clair Voyant" I was going to ask you the same tonight, funny old world ain't it? ;)

Please don't encourage me toooooo much as I tend to get in to trouble with the Gulag Guards on the Forum when I get excited and I'm not sure when my Probation is up . :o

I do hope your headache never returns but if it does please feel free to PM me for a very cheap remedy, it never fails but you may need too, oh I cant say that on here, silly me. :blush:

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Kiwi,

You are most welcome, and should change your name to "Clair Voyant" I was going to ask you the same tonight, funny old world ain't it? ;)

Please don't encourage me toooooo much as I tend to get in to trouble with the Gulag Guards on the Forum when I get excited and I'm not sure when my Probation is up.

I do hope your headache never returns but if it does please feel free to PM me for a very cheap remedy, it never fails but you may need too, oh I cant say that on here, silly me.

Kind Regards, Danny

Danny, it is indeed an honour having you on my friends list! I mean it! :D

It makes me sad and rather angry that some people around here just don't get your sense of humour! It's like some people just can't take a joke! I mean this is a forum dedicated to Zep where it is supposed to be a fun and happy sort of place and not a forum dedicated to a cheesy soap-opera, characterised by melo-drama and seriousness 24X7! Oh well! :rolleyes:

Believe me, these discussions do sometimes tend to get rather ummm..."ugly" and serious! That's why I either log off or I retreat to my own rather "silly" little thread called "Songs Which Make You Laugh Out Loud" :blush:. Danny, if you ever need a good laugh, just check out that thread! Some of the songs posted there by the other folks around here are funny! :D

And thank you so much for your offer! I'll definitely send you a PM whenever I need a good laugh or two! B)

Cheers and hope you've had a good day! :D

Kiwi.

P.S

I hope that I don't go under the scanner for "rambling" on and being rather off topic!

:ph34r:

EDITED TO ADD : I don't "get" U2 either! They are just alright for me! But on a side note, I do wholeheartedly appreciate Bono's charitable work! :D

And well maybe people around here will come after me for saying this, but I have tried so hard to get into the music of "The Black Keys" but I just don't get it! I know they are a fav of many here but hell, I just don't fuckin' get it!! :unsure:

I don't get Pink Floyd, apart from the very well-known songs such as Money and Another Brick in the wall.

They are supposed to be very innovative, but when I listen to their songs, I just hear strange noises.

Moreover,I' m not always very impressed by the Stones, especially by Exile on Main Street.I hate this one, I don't know what's so special about it,it's full of boring country songs,and boring "blues rock songs".

Sometimes the Stones have no melody at all, I could compose the same songs myself.

They say the Stones are very good on stage; well, Mick is a very good entertainer, granted.But they don't sound very good live, if you want to hear the best band on stage listen to Queen (during the 80's).

And if you want some blues based songs, there is Led Zep(better voice, better guitarist, better bassist, better drummer)

Danny, it is indeed an honour having you on my friends list! I mean it!

It makes me sad and rather angry that some people around here just don't get your sense of humour! It's like some people just can't take a joke! I mean this is a forum dedicated to Zep where it is supposed to be a fun and happy sort of place and not a forum dedicated to a cheesy soap-opera, characterised by melo-drama and seriousness 24X7! Oh well!

Believe me, these discussions do sometimes tend to get rather ummm..."ugly" and serious! That's why I either log off or I retreat to my own rather "silly" little thread called "Songs Which Make You Laugh Out Loud" . Danny, if you ever need a good laugh, just check out that thread! Some of the songs posted there by the other folks around here are funny!

And thank you so much for your offer! I'll definitely send you a PM whenever I need a good laugh or two!

Cheers and hope you've had a good day! :D

Kiwi.

P.S

I hope that I don't go under the scanner for "rambling" on and being rather off topic!

:ph34r:

EDITED TO ADD : I don't "get" U2 either! They are just alright for me! But on a side note, I do wholeheartedly appreciate Bono's charitable work! :D

And well maybe people around here will come after me for saying this, but I have tried so hard to get into the music of "The Black Keys" but I just don't get it! I know they are a fav of many here but hell, I just don't fuckin' get it!! :unsure:

Hi Kiwi,

This forum is like a second home to me, and many others I expect, some are Very Serious people that you cannot use Humour with while others like yourself are not so stuck up and anal, I'll leave you to decipher Who's Who, well its not like you would have and trouble in telling one from tother is it? ;)

Humour is like a Cold, you either Get It or you Don't.

Humour is like a Talking Bum, you either Get It or you're a Dumb Arse.

I don't get the last one and I thought it up. :unsure:

Kiwi, If I ever need a Good laugh I just tell myself a Joke or think of something stupid I have done sometime and I just roll up laughing, like trying to understand WHY Yanks think they are so "Great" when its US Brits that have "Great" before our "Great Nation" but then again I suppose it just "Grates" on them to keep hearing about how "Great" Britain really is, so I wont mention it. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, The Black Keys are the Flat notes on a Piano, I can play Red Indian Rhythms using just these notes. :o

Hi Kiwi,

This forum is like a second home to me, and many others I expect, some are Very Serious people that you cannot use Humour with while others like yourself are not so stuck up and anal, I'll leave you to decipher Who's Who, well its not like you would have and trouble in telling one from tother is it? ;)

Humour is like a Cold, you either Get It or you Don't.

Humour is like a Talking Bum, you either Get It or you're a Dumb Arse.

I don't get the last one and I thought it up.

Kiwi, If I ever need a Good laugh I just tell myself a Joke or think of something stupid I have done sometime and I just roll up laughing, like trying to understand WHY Yanks think they are so "Great" when its US Brits that have "Great" before our "Great Nation" but then again I suppose it just "Grates" on them to keep hearing about how "Great" Britain really is, so I wont mention it. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, The Black Keys are the Flat notes on a Piano, I can play Red Indian Rhythms using just these notes.

Well, Danny, I've been here for just 5 months and I already feel that this forum is like a second home to me!! :D

I have met some incredible people here : some with a lovely sense of humour and who always have the ability to make me laugh, some with whom I have forged strong bonds because of common views about practically everything under the sun like politics, war, history, family life, art, etc and some with music tastes so incredible that I am forever indebted to them for introducing me to wonderful bands (apart from Zep) and also some very interesting and rather eccentric characters who used to cause quite a stir (on the "Ramble On" section of the forum) (I'm sure you remember Atlas?! :P ). I am a member of 4 other forums but I barely post on those anymore because this one takes up all my spare time and quite frankly, I love it! :wub: But I still feel really bad when topics take an ugly turn! :( I hate fights and I love the sunny side of life! But I guess, this is a forum and differences in opinion will occur! ;)

As far as humour is concerned, my mom always says : "There is nothing like British humour to cheer a person up". She's absolutely right I think! You Brits are top notch in that department! ;)

Getting back to the topic,

Danny, lol! I wasn't referring to the "black keys" on a piano! :hysterical: "The Black Keys" is this blues-rock group consisting of two blokes from Ohio and believe me, I am indeed HAPPY to tell you that I haven't got a single album of theirs! :blink:

Archived