Bonzo: The Groove Remains The Same

luvlz2

September 25, 2010 marks the 30th anniversaryof the passing of Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham. His groove and sound is considered to be the most influential of all rock-n-roll drummers; John "Bonzo" Bonham is the undisputed king. Bonzo will once again be honored in a special concert featuring rock's biggest names behind the kit at the Key Club in Hollywood, California. On stage and for one night only, a rotating cast of guest drummers perform their favorite Led Zeppelin songs.<BR>

Confirmed drummers include:<BR>

Steven Adler (Guns N' Roses, Adler's Appetite)<BR>

Vinny Appice (Black Sabbath, Heaven &amp; Hell, Dio)<BR>

Kenny Aronoff (John Cougar, John Fogerty)<BR>

Frankie Banali (Quiet Riot) <BR>

Jason Bonham (Led Zeppelin, Foreigner)<BR>

Fred Coury (Cinderella)<BR>

Jimmy D'Anda (Bulletboys) <BR>

James Kottak (Scorpions) <BR>

Khurt Maier (Salty Dog) <BR>

Chris Slade (The Firm, AC/DC)<BR>

Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers,Chickenfoot)<BR>

Brian Tichy (Whitesnake, Foreigner, Billy Idol) <BR>

Joe Travers (Zappa Plays Zappa, Duran Duran)<BR>

Simon Wright (AC/DC, Dio)<BR>

Carmine Appice (Vanjilla Fudge, Rod Stewart) will perform via video.<BR> <BR>

Joining the drummers on stage will be musicians Brent Woods (guitar), Michael "Denim" Devin (bass), Keith St. John (vocals), Stephen LeBlanc (keys) and BrianTichy (guitar).<BR>

"Not a day goes by where I don't think of John Bonham's snare sound, and it hit me -- 'Why isn't there a Bonzo tribute where every drummer gets up on a Vistalite kit, with gong and timpanis, and plays their favorite Zeppelin song?" co-organizer Brian Tichy said. "I though of all the drummers I know that worship at the alter of John Bonham and being in L.A., there are so many here." <BR>

Promoter Joe Sutton took care of the rest and has helped organize this striking tribute.His moxie for the all-mighty Bonzo and Led Zeppelin has never wavered. "First and foremost, Led Zeppelin is the greatest band in the world and it is not a coincidence that John Bonham was the drummer," Sutton said. "Bonham's drumming is one of the main reasons that they were able to sound so huge." Sutton continued, "I remember the day that John Bonham died; it broke my heart. Not only to lose a great man and the best drummer in the world, but to lose Led Zeppelin as a band was just devastating to myself and everyone I knew. So to have a chance to put together a tribute 30 years later for the almighty Bonzo I will use all of my efforts and experience to put together a very special night."<BR>

Tickets for "Bonzo: The Groove Remains The Same" can be purchased at Keyclub.com.

The Key Club is located at 9039 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood.<BR> http://www.roadrunne...wsitemID=145246 <BR>bonzogroove.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

Stephen Perkins(Jane's Addiction), Abe Laboriel(Paul McCartney) and Bobby Blotzer(Ratt) have been added to the list of performers honoring late Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham at a special concert at the Key Club in Hollywood, California.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145484

Zoe Bonham, daughter of late LED ZEPPELIN drummer John Bonham, has been added to the list of performers honoring John Bonham at a special concert at the Key Club in Hollywood, California.

Event co-organizer and current WHITESNAKE drummer Brian Tichy says, "The energy going around us drummers in regard to the Bonzo tribute is electric! I can't wait to sit back and watch some of my favorite drummers rock some of the best music ever in the spirit of Bonzo! Now with the addition of Zoe Bonham, you gotta ask yourself, are you really NOT going to be there? This kind of tribute has never been done before!"

September 25, 2010, marks the 30th anniversary of the passing of John Bonham. His groove and sound is considered to be the most influential of all rock and roll drummers; John "Bonzo" Bonham is the undisputed king. Bonzo will once again be honored in a special concert featuring rock's biggest names behind the kit at the Key Club in Hollywood, California.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed to post the fact that Tool's Danny Carey and singer Deborah Bonham, sister of late Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, were added to the list of performers at "Bonzo: The Groove Remains The Same", a special concert honoring John Bonham that took place Saturday, September 25 at the Key Club in Hollywood, California.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=146230

Hope to see some footage on youtube now that this event just passed, if anybody finds some footage, please post.

Edited by luvlz2

(This is Roger from 3 posts above. Can't get my Facebook login to work from this computer for some reason.)

This show Did. NOT. Disappoint!! For the money it was just incredible entertainment value. It started around 8 and went until the cut they last act off at 2 AM. SIX hours! I don’t know what John’s favorite vodka was, but I had a Grey Goose in his honor.

The first set was acoustic and they had different vocalists rotate in. The first one had long curly silver hair like Robert does now. Unfortunately he didn't quite have Robert's voice. I really enjoyed the set though. KLOS's Uncle Joe MC'ed the whole night. One of the singers asked us all to remember Ronnie James Dio, which I thought was a little out of place since the night was for John. The acoustic set ended with The Rain Song accompanied by a string quintet (claimed to be from the LA Philharmonic). Excellent sound and I could tell the musicians were having as much fun playing as I did listening.

[Going to apologize here, I didn't take any video or pics. The Key Club claims you can video as much as you want for a $50 fee per camera. I didn't feel like lugging mine along and I'd rather enjoy the show than worry about getting good video during it.]

After that they unveiled a drum kit donated by Ludwig which was a copy of John’s kit from The Song Remains the Same. I knew each drummer would each play with the same house musicians. Going in I figured the other players would suck but at least the drumming would rock. The band immediately proved me wrong. They were young but REALLY good. The singer had a good voice and a bit of Plant's attitude. The guitarist could really shred and was a good showman too (he didn't try to copy Page's style, but it worked well--he even played with his teeth at one point). The bassist was phenomenal--I've never seen anyone add so many extra notes in--his hands were just flying over the strings. They had a fifth player on keyboards--he was sort of reserved like Jonesy and he was very good too.

There was just too much good drumming to get into. I won't even be able to remember all the names--I'm not that good with them at the best of times, and I'm a middle-aged guy who was up WAY past his bedtime last night. I won’t be able to remember who played which song either, but there weren’t any real repeats of songs. I hadn't realized Carmine Appice wouldn't be there, but his video talking about John and playing some of his beats was good. I used to spend many hours practicing drumming using Carmine's books. His brother Vinnie was there and REALLY rocked. There was a lot of really exceptional drumming that night. James Kottak was fantastic. They claimed he had just landed in LA after playing 15 shows in South Africa. They mentioned 28 drummers but it seemed closer to 20 to me. One of them said “since a needle first touched vinyl playing the first Zeppelin album, no drumstick has ever hit a drumhead the same way again.”

The whole Bonham family was there except John's mother (who is not up to travelling outside England anymore). Debbie said some really nice things and mentioned that the night was very special to Joan even though she couldn't be there. I think the Bonham family was happy so many people showed up and that it was a night of utmost respect for John. Debbie sang really well and can really move too. Zoe really blew me away. She came out in a Street Drum Corps that started with the beat from Poor Tom and went into a medley from there. She can really play. After that she sang and played harmonica. She said she wouldn’t say anything about her Dad since she’d get upset. (I’m pretty sure she meant that if she started talking about him she’d get too emotional and be unable to perform.)

During one of the intermissions they showed some “rare photos” of John. Other than that and a couple videos of other drummers there was no real multi-media presentations (so no real taste of what the Jason’s Led Zeppelin experience will be like). Atlantic’s former President also came out and gave a nice talk about John.

The finale really blew me away. Jason came out and played Kashmir. He was in top form. After that he went into Moby Dick, which really made me happy since he didn’t play it on his last solo tour. Then, ALL the other drummers came out with various percussion instruments and joined in, and then they took turns on the kit playing mini-solos! I really can't put into words how awesome it was.

As if that wasn’t enough, afterwards a female Zep cover band (Hammer of the Broads) came out and played a few songs until closing time. They weren’t as good as Zepparella, but they were good. The guitarist (Gretchen) of Zepparella is the best member of that group, but in Hammer of the Broads my pick would be the bassist—she can really cook.

I noticed some professional-type video being taken, and I’m sure the Key Club will put up photos eventually at http://www.keyclub.com/gallery/

If anyone finds good You Tube footage, please post the links here.

Edited by Roger

(This is Roger from 3 posts above. Can't get my Facebook login to work from this computer for some reason.)

This show Did. NOT. Disappoint!! For the money it was just incredible entertainment value. It started around 8 and went until the cut the last act off at 2 AM. SIX hours! I don’t know what John’s favorite vodka was, but I had a Grey Goose in his honor.

The first set was acoustic and they had different vocalists rotate in. The first one had long curly silver hair like Robert does now. Unfortunately he didn't quite have Robert's voice. I really enjoyed the set though. KLOS's Uncle Joe MC'ed the whole night. One of the singers asked us all to remember Ronnie James Dio, which I thought was a little out of place since the night was for John. The acoustic set ended with The Song Remains the Same accompanied by a string quintet (claimed to be from the LA Philharmonic). Excellent sound and I could tell the musicians were having as much fun playing as I did listening.

[Going to apologize here, I didn't take any video or pics. The Key Club claims you can video as much as you want for a $50 fee per camera. I didn't feel like lugging mine along and I'd rather enjoy the show than worry about getting good video during it.]

After that they unveiled a drum kit donated by Ludwig which was a copy of John’s kit from The Song Remains the Same. I knew each drummer would each play with the same house musicians. Going in I figured the other players would suck but at least the drumming would rock. The band immediately proved me wrong. They were young but REALLY good. The singer had a good voice and a bit of Plant's attitude. The guitarist could really shred and was a good showman too (he didn't try to copy Page's style, but it worked well--he even played with his teeth at one point). The bassist was phenomenal--I've never seen anyone add so many extra notes in--his hands were just flying over the strings. They had a fifth player on keyboards--he was sort of reserved like Jonesy and he was very good too.

There was just too much good drumming to get into. I won't even be able to remember all the names--I'm not that good with them at the best of times, and I'm a middle-aged guy who was up WAY past his bedtime last night. I won’t be able to remember who played which song either, but there weren’t any real repeats of songs. I hadn't realized Carmine Appice wouldn't be there, but his video talking about John and playing some of his beats was good. I used to spend many hours practicing drumming using Carmine's books. His brother Vinnie was there and REALLY rocked. There was a lot of really exceptional drumming that night. James Kottak was fantastic. They claimed he had just landed in LA after playing 15 shows in South Africa. They mentioned 28 drummers but it seemed closer to 20 to me. One of them said “since a needle first touched vinyl playing the first Zeppelin album, no drumstick has ever hit a drumhead the same way again.”

The whole Bonham family was there except John’s mother (who is not up to travelling outside England anymore). Debbie said some really nice things and mentioned that the night was very special to Pat even though she couldn’t be there. I think the Bonham family was happy so many people showed up and that it was a night of utmost respect for John. Debbie sang really well and can really move too. Zoe really blew me away. She came out in a Street Drum Corps that started with the beat from Poor Tom and went into a medley from there. She can really play. After that she sang and played harmonica. She said she wouldn’t say anything about her Dad since she’d get upset. (I’m pretty sure she meant that if she started talking about him she’d get too emotional and be unable to perform.)

During one of the intermissions they showed some “rare photos” of John. Other than that and a couple videos of other drummers there was no real multi-media presentations (so no real taste of what the Jason’s Led Zeppelin experience will be like). Atlantic’s former President also came out and gave a nice talk about John.

The finale really blew me away. Jason came out and played Kashmir. He was in top form. After that he went into Moby Dick, which really made me happy since he didn’t play it on his last solo tour. Then, ALL the other drummers came out with various percussion instruments and joined in, and then they took turns on the kit playing mini-solos! I really can't put into words how awesome it was.

As if that wasn’t enough, afterwards a female Zep cover band (Hammer of the Broads) came out and played a few songs until closing time. They weren’t as good as Zepparella, but they were good. The guitarist (Gretchen) of Zepparella is the best member of that group, but in Hammer of the Broads my pick would be the bassist—she can really cook.

I noticed some professional-type video being taken, and I’m sure the Key Club will put up photos eventually at http://www.keyclub.com/gallery/

If anyone finds good You Tube footage, please post the links here.

Thanks for that report of the show. I was thinking of it last night. I had been in LA on Sunset Friday night for a Real Time taping a thought about the show to go on the next night. What a great way to pay respect to Bonzo and celebrate his life.

I was there last night too - got a bunch of video - clips that I'll link to later - once they're uploaded.

To add to Rogers great review.........

It was an amazing night - an incredible number of amazing drummers - and the band was great! I too was skeptical about the band, but they delivered brilliantly.

The opening acoustic group were cool - they finished with The Rain song using the LA string Quintet. However things definitely stepped up several notches when they unveiled the Ludwig Plexi kit. The MC stated that it was the original from the Song Remains the Same....

I'd be a little dubious of that claim - potentially more likely that it's one of the reissues. The show started with Brian Tichy on the skins - a blistering version of The Immigrant Song - amazing! The song by song list as I recall it (there are missing numbers and it's not in sequence, these were the highlights for me......)

Brian Tichy - The immigrant song

Chris Slade - The Ocean

Joe Travers - TSRTS

Bobby Blotzer - Trampled Underfoot

Vinnie Appice - Dazed and Confused

Abe Laboriel - Heartbreaker

Debbie Bonham sang Since I've Loving You (was amazing - I'll post a clip soon)

Steven Adler - all of My Love

Chad Smith - Achilles last stand

Jason Bonham - Kashmir (Video posted shortly)

Jason then delivered a wonderful speech and launched into a version of Moby Dick - which saw all the drummers of the night come on stage and each take a drum solo. Mind blowing!!!

Once clips have loaded, I'll post links.

What an amazing night!

I was there last night too - got a bunch of video - clips that I'll link to later - once they're uploaded.

To add to Rogers great review.........

It was an amazing night - an incredible number of amazing drummers - and the band was great! I too was skeptical about the band, but they delivered brilliantly.

The opening acoustic group were cool - they finished with The Rain song using the LA string Quintet. However things definitely stepped up several notches when they unveiled the Ludwig Plexi kit. The MC stated that it was the original from the Song Remains the Same....

I'd be a little dubious of that claim - potentially more likely that it's one of the reissues. The show started with Brian Tichy on the skins - a blistering version of The Immigrant Song - amazing! The song by song list as I recall it (there are missing numbers and it's not in sequence, these were the highlights for me......)

Brian Tichy - The immigrant song

Chris Slade - The Ocean

Joe Travers - TSRTS

Bobby Blotzer - Trampled Underfoot

Vinnie Appice - Dazed and Confused

Abe Laboriel - Heartbreaker

Debbie Bonham sang Since I've Loving You (was amazing - I'll post a clip soon)

Steven Adler - all of My Love

Chad Smith - Achilles last stand

Jason Bonham - Kashmir (Video posted shortly)

Jason then delivered a wonderful speech and launched into a version of Moby Dick - which saw all the drummers of the night come on stage and each take a drum solo. Mind blowing!!!

Once clips have loaded, I'll post links.

What an amazing night!

Right On The Alchemy Control. Welcome to the forum and thanks for providing your details as well!

Thanks for Review and list... What A Night ! ! !

I'll have to wait for Satisfaction until Nov. 18th in Dallas.

Here's Joe Travers intro and the beg. of TSRTS

Danny Carey and "No Quarter"

And this is my fav clip so far...

Chad Smith (of the RHCP) - Achilles Last Stand

Edited by The Rover