Countdown to Jimmy Page's book

hecube

Plus also considering the book's price tag is another obstacle.

SuperDave,

You are right about the book's price tag being an obstacle. There is no way the local libraries would even think about stocking this item. Apart from anything else, we are undergoing draconian public spending cuts here in Britain. You couldn't loan this book out, because you certainly wouldn't get it back:).

The 'deposit' libraries which I referred to in my above post, are half a dozen or so reference only libraries in Great Britain which are entitled to receive, free of charge, a copy of every thing published in the UK whether that be books, magazines, journals, newspapers. The publishers have a time limit of a couple of years in which to submit a copy of everything published. If they don't supply a copy in the subscribed time limit, in theory they can be taken to court. Of course, the libraries do not have the resources to do so. My view is that if a copy of something you want is not submitted with the time limit, write to the publisher informing them that they have failed in their obligation under the relevant statute :o . Examples of such reference libraries are The British Library in London, Oxford and Cambridge University Libraries, The National Library of Scotland and Queen's University, Belfast.

I think that a couple of members on here are academic staff, and would know the position regarding the photobook better than I would.:wave:

SuperDave,

You are right about the book's price tag being an obstacle. There is no way the local libraries would even think about stocking this item. Apart from anything else, we are undergoing draconian public spending cuts here in Britain. You couldn't loan this book out, because you certainly wouldn't get it back:).

The 'deposit' libraries which I referred to in my above post, are half a dozen or so reference only libraries in Great Britain which are entitled to receive, free of charge, a copy of every thing published in the UK whether that be books, magazines, journals, newspapers. The publishers have a time limit of a couple of years in which to submit a copy of everything published. If they don't supply a copy in the subscribed time limit, in theory they can be taken to court. Of course, the libraries do not have the resources to do so. My view is that if a copy of something you want is not submitted with the time limit, write to the publisher informing them that they have failed in their obligation under the relevant statute :o . Examples of such reference libraries are The British Library in London, Oxford and Cambridge University Libraries, The National Library of Scotland and Queen's University, Belfast.

I think that a couple of members on here are academic staff, and would know the position regarding the photobook better than I would.:wave:

Thanks for the great info. Also thanks for adding me to your friends list today! :thumbsup:

It never was in question that I would not buy this book but I considered asking the librarian at our company to do it as well because they buy many many artbooks.

I have been looking into the deposit library situation which I spoke about in my replies above. From the material that I found (printed below), I don't see why the deposit libraries would not get a copy if they so requested it. Therefore, the libraries which I noted above would be able to request a copy. I am going to email Genesis to ask if they will be complying with the legislation referred to below:-

Legal Deposit

Main points

• The National Library of Scotland is entitled by law to receive a copy of any work published in the United Kingdom, free of charge from the publisher. To obtain it, the Library should make a request in writing within 12 months of the date of publication, though the Library is also pleased to receive publications which have not been claimed. The law which entitles the Library to do this is the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003.
  • All printed works are covered by this legislation, including books, pamphlets, single sheets, maps, printed music, journals and newspapers.
  • Non-Print Publications: The Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003 provides for supplementary regulations to be introduced to extend legal deposit to include non-print publications. At present, the Code of Practice for the Voluntary Deposit of Non-Print Publications, which has been in effect since January 2000, allows the legal deposit libraries to request a copy of certain categories of non-print publication.
  • The need to deposit a book does not depend on its having been allocated an International Standard Book or Serial Number (ISBN) or (ISSN), but on whether or not it can be considered to have been published. A work is said to be published when copies of it are issued to the public. The place of publication or printing, the nature of the imprint and the size of distribution are immaterial. It is therefore the act of issuing or distributing to the public in the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland which renders a work liable to deposit.
  • Publishers may choose to send deposit copies of their publications for the National Library of Scotland either direct to the Legal Deposit Team, or to the Agency for the Legal Deposit Libraries.
  • Official registration of copyright is no longer necessary in the United Kingdom. When publications are supplied to the Library a receipt is issued to the publisher. This acknowledges delivery of the publication, but has no bearing on the ownership of copyright.

Legal Deposit main page

I advise those who have ordered a copy of their own, to buy cotton gloves (pharmacist shop) to use when looking at your book, because you do not want the acid or moisture from your hands discolouring the pages.

I have sent an email to Genesis Publications today regarding whether they have to comply with the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003. If I get a reply from them, I'll report back.

Thanks for taking the initiative. According to UK laws they're suppose to do that, but is there any exception regarding a price of a book? We'll see.

Thanks for taking the initiative. According to UK laws they're suppose to do that, but is there any exception regarding a price of a book? We'll see.

I am not aware that the statute which I quoted would allow publishers to wrangle their way out of their responsibility on the basis of price. I'll be interested to see what excuse Genesis comes up with. I'll let everyone know.

I found this on the National LIbrary Of Scotland website explaining the set-up with these deposit libraries. It looks like five of the libraries have to write and request a copy of items published, if one is not sent automatically. The British Library in London is different in that they get theirs automatically.

I simply thought it was something worth looking in to, because if Genesis were required to provide a copy to each deposit library, it would mean that there would be a hard copy in these UK locations which fans could travel to. I'm not sure how many people would be willing to put their book on the web because they might ruin the binding and spine when scanning or photocopying. Also, they were the ones who paid a pretty high price to obtain the photos, so they're not obliged to share.:wave:

Legal Deposit

UK and Irish legal deposit libraries

There are six legal deposit libraries in the United Kingdom and Ireland:

The five libraries in Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge, Dublin and Aberystwyth are entitled to request free of charge a copy of everything published in the United Kingdom, providing they make a request in writing within a year of the date of publication. These libraries share the Agency for the Legal Deposit Libraries, which acts on their behalf in requesting materials that are due and which serves as the statutory depot for the receipt of material acquired in terms of the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003.

The British Library has a slightly different privilege in that it is the responsibility of publishers to send a copy of their publications without a written claim being required. It has its own Legal Deposit Office:

Legal Deposit Office

The British Library

Boston Spa

Wetherby

West Yorkshire

LS23 7BY

Well, it is the 27th in the UK, but around 3 hours to go here. We'll see how this plays out. I can not wait for this. I read the interview about III in Guitar World, and if anyone has read it, they will know that Jimmy said he put in a picture of himself in Cairo by the Sphinx when he went between the first and second legs of the '77 tour. :o I knew he went, but this should be interesting. No, I don't think the book will be a disspointment. ;)

We're here.

Where's my book?

I would like to know that too. If they're still being bound then they aren't officially 'published'. Genesis should have started shipping the first copies today, but it looks as though we're going to have to wait a little while longer. It's a shame because it's my birthday this week and I was hoping my book would arrive in time. :(

I emailed Genesis to ask for an approximate shipping date. Just had an email from back from them stating that all books ordered in April/May/June (I ordered mine at the end of May) will be shipped around the middle of October. I guess we'll just have to patiently wait for a couple more weeks. :mellow:

I would like to know that too. If they're still being bound then they aren't officially 'published'. Genesis should have started shipping the first copies today, but it looks as though we're going to have to wait a little while longer. It's a shame because it's my birthday this week and I was hoping my book would arrive in time. :(

I emailed Genesis to ask for an approximate shipping date. Just had an email from back from them stating that all books ordered in April/May/June (I ordered mine at the end of May) will be shipped around the middle of October. I guess we'll just have to patiently wait for a couple more weeks. :mellow:

I ordered mine in April. Thank you for finding that out. I guess we will have to wait a bit longer. :(

Well, it is the 27th in the UK, but around 3 hours to go here. We'll see how this plays out. I can not wait for this. I read the interview about III in Guitar World, and if anyone has read it, they will know that Jimmy said he put in a picture of himself in Cairo by the Sphinx when he went between the first and second legs of the '77 tour.

Did he say that? The Sphinx? I know he went to the Cairo Museum during that trip (May 1977). If so and it's a great shot that may be worth the price of the book alone.

I have had no response so far from Genesis, so I have emailed them again. I have also checked the database of the National Library of Scotland to see if Genesis have ever sent their pictorial books before, and it would appear they have done so in the past. For example, I found Max Scheler & Astrid Kirchherr (1996) 'Golden Dreams' Beatles – Pictorial Works'. "This edition is limited to two thousand five hundred copies signed by Max Scheler and Astrid Kirchherr". This was quite small though at 122 pages. There is another one, called 'Liverpool Days', again signed by the same authors.

I have been onto the Integrated Catalogue of The British Library, searched for Genesis under 'publishers' and it shows up the books on George Harrison, David Bowie, John Lennon, George Martin, and Paul Weller. Now, you will see from one of my above posts that the British Library is absolutely obliged to receive copies of everything, and it looks like Genesis have been caught short in this respect, because there is a lack of their recent products.

BTW, if any of you live within travelling distance of these 6 libraries, it is worth looking at their catalogues for Zeppelin material because they have books which are no longer in print. You are allowed to access the books, but not borrow, although there is usually an inter-library loan arrangement, whereby you can get a book transferred from one library to another.

I'll get back to this thread if I get a reply from Genesis. Presumably they'll hate me if they have to print another six copies :lol: .

I empathise with those of you who have ordered, and paid for the book, and were hoping to receive it this week. Why is everything involving Jimmy like pulling teeth? :)

I thought the British Library kept a copy of every book published in the UK. If it is in the library it will state on the inside cover under the copyright details 'A CIP for this book is available from the British Library'. When my copy arrives I'll let you know if it states that.

Hi Magic,

Yes, the BL and the other five deposit libraries are supposed to receive a copy of everything published in the UK. That's why I looked through a couple of their databases and have found that while Genesis have fulfilled their obligation to a certain extent in the early years, they seem to have become lax. The books which have been submitted are of a pictorial type, so I don't see why there should be any problem with donating the JP book (from their point of view the cost of providing another six copies, but the law is the law!). I have sent two emails now, to no avail, but I am going to keep pursuing them till I get an answer. If all six deposit libraries received a copy, UK Zeppelin fans who couldn't afford to buy, would get reference access.:thumbsup:

Did he say that? The Sphinx? I know he went to the Cairo Museum during that trip (May 1977). If so and it's a great shot that may be worth the price of the book alone.

He is talking about his different influences in the interview about III in the new Guitar World. This is what he says:

"In between the first and second leg of Zeppelin's 1977 tour, I decided to go to Cairo because I really wanted to hear the music down there. There's a great picture of me in the new book by the Sphinx. It's all part of my musical history."

Yes. I can't wait to see this picture! It makes me wonder what else is in there even more than before.

A sneak preview of Jimmy's book :thumbsup:

JimCummins.jpg

Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps, 1962

Photo Credit: Jim Cummins

Courtesy Jimmy Page Collection

TomSheehy.jpg

Convention Hall, Asbury Park, New Jersey, August 16, 1969

Photo Credit: Tom Sheehy

MadisonSquareGarden1977.jpg

Madison Square Garden, New York, New York, June 1977