No Quarter TSRTS

henrybonzo

Hey guys

I prefer the soundtrack version as opposed to the movie version, basically coz Jimmys solo on the ST is off the hook but is it one continuous solo or is it pieced together?

As a player myself i can hear bits and pieces that are the same but overall its different, on the album JP and JPJ have a little jam before JP launches but on the movie, he goes straight into the solo and it kind of fizzles out, the ST builds and builds to a big finish.

I personally think the ST is better than the Movie ST, but was this because VHS hadnt been invented and seeing the film would have been limited for a number of years so was the album version far more important to get right?

I think i have watched it too much now as im starting to notice the "fake" scenes, i think the biggest one is during WLL when the camera pans over the stage, amazing shot but obvious that it was done at the soundstage coz theres no crowd and its the only shot of its kind!!

The solo is one continuous piece, but in the movie a part of Jonesy's jam and the beggining of Page's solo is cut out. The endind after the solo, that leads back to the main theme is different in the movie then on the soundtrack, it's from a different night!!

Anyway, you can get all the detailed information here:

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/

Best Page solo ever in this version, IMO...the SRTS version of NQ is arguably the definitive version of the piece...YMMV, of course. The terrible editing on the 2007 version of TSRTS (designed to match the film or not) was a fucking abomination, though.

Some of the editing used on the album/film is pretty interesting, though (especially if you've read "The Garden Tapes")...all the chopping back and forth between the three shows for SIBLY, that tune seemed more edited together than the other ones. I can picture Jimmy hunched over the desk, coked out of his brain, editing like a madman... B)

i was watching 75 earls court version, could rival tsrts, its moving toward 77 versions but at least its in tune ;)

Don't discount '77 versions of NQ mate! :P How about 11-6-77, or 23-6, 28-4, 7-6-77, 21-6-77, hell even Seattle is pretty damn good!

^^^

What Tom said, as usual... :D

A fine NQ discussion:

Even though I love the '77 epics, and a few of the '75's as well, the SRTS version -ORIGINAL 1976 ISSUE, eye thank yew- is bar none, my favourite Zep track of all. Nice, concise and to the point, even if it is 12:30 long! Pure magic(k)...

• 3 years later...

I think I like the Knebworth version of No Quarter the best. Page had a drug problem and Plant had family problems keeping them from giving the band their 110%, but Jones sounded like he was keeping up playing the keyboards the whole time throughout the bad times (78-79).

• 1 year later...

Archived