REID HAS NO REGRETS ABOUT MISSED LED ZEPPELIN CHANCE

tyedye

There was no Led Zeppelin at the time when Jimmy Page was trying to put the group together, and if I had have joined, they might not have been the band they are today.

That sounds just a little pompous.

There's no "might" about it,they wouldn't have been;just by virtue of the fact that part of what made Led Zeppelin so great was the dynamics and the chemistry of those four people.

To put it another way;they clicked.

• 11 months later...
I'm sure Pete Best was always very happy too.

I know it's ridiculous to respond to a year old post, but this is probably the worst comparison I've ever heard of. Completely invalid.

Pete was in the band and dismissed.

Terry was asked to join and declined (which wasn't entirely up to him anyway as he was bound by exclusive recording contract).

Pete's relationships with ex-bandmates were either strained or non-existent (from what I know, and I admit freely I might not know enough).

Terry was friends with the future LZ members before some of them even met each other, which hasn't changed to this day - they remain friends despite (almost complete) lack of collaboration. Anyone who can prove otherwise is welcome to do so.

Pete had one main thing going for him - stunning good looks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard any accounts of him being an exceptional drummer.

Terry's good looks were more of an added bonus, a mere footnote to his massive vocal talent. Most true LZ fans actually know that.

My favorite quote from Terry regarding the "missed LZ opportunity:"

It doesn't bother me. It bothers everybody else. :)

I know it's ridiculous to respond to a year old post, but this is probably the worst comparison I've ever heard of. Completely invalid.

Pete was in the band and dismissed.

Terry was asked to join and declined (which wasn't entirely up to him anyway as he was bound by exclusive recording contract).

Pete's relationships with ex-bandmates were either strained or non-existent (from what I know, and I admit freely I might not know enough).

Terry was friends with the future LZ members before some of them even met each other, which hasn't changed to this day - they remain friends despite (almost complete) lack of collaboration. Anyone who can prove otherwise is welcome to do so.

Pete had one main thing going for him - stunning good looks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard any accounts of him being an exceptional drummer.

Terry's good looks were more of an added bonus, a mere footnote to his massive vocal talent. Most true LZ fans actually know that.

My favorite quote from Terry regarding the "missed LZ opportunity:"

It doesn't bother me. It bothers everybody else. :)

In any case, Terry Reid was probably just one of several singers Jimmy had in mind, so that would make quite a few people kicking themselves. If Jimmy had held auditions then there's no guarantee Reid would have got the job anyway. Wasn't Steve Marriott also approached?

In any case, Terry Reid was probably just one of several singers Jimmy had in mind, so that would make quite a few people kicking themselves. If Jimmy had held auditions then there's no guarantee Reid would have got the job anyway. Wasn't Steve Marriott also approached?

Oh, this is getting old. :beat:

The singers Jimmy had in mind were Steve Winwood, Steve Marriott, Terry Reid and possibly Chris Farlowe (I've seen no confirmation for the latter so it might be just a rumor)

No, there were no auditions - Jimmy didn't have time for that before the looming Scandinavian tour (well, I guess you can count JP and PG going out to hear Robert for the 1st time an audition). Steve Marriott was approached but his office responded with refusal and some threats :blink:

If you believe Jimmy's own words (you don't have to, of course) Terry would've gotten the job if he accepted it and didn't point Jimmy in Roberts direction "I remembered him as a really good singer, so I told Peter [Grant], that I wanted to start a group with Terry Reid, so could he get the office to find him" Seems quite obvious that Jimmy already found him qualifying. I take it you never heard TR, so you skepticism is understandable.

Once Jimmy heard Robert, it was a done deal, the perfect choice - he didn't want anyone else.

I only posted because I found the Pete Best comparison glaringly inaccurate on so many counts. I didn't mean to bring up this old tired story which has been told and retold so many times already. Sorry.

I just listented to a few of his songs on youtube and he sounds a lot like a young Rod Stewart.

Right, though he does have a distinct voice - also often likened to Steve Marriott and of course Percy.

This song is worth checking out - it's not on YouTube (except for live 1968 version) though I'm not sure Last.fm always cooperates and plays a full track instead of a sample; they claim to have a full track. :)

Archived