First Listen to New BOJ Album

kiss of fire

I've tried to stay away from commenting on this but with all the bullshit being flung about here and the other threads on this topic, I decided to chime in.

If "Country" music isn't your thing fine, however don't put it down just because someone who is into ALL kinds of music happens to like it.

This "I'm only into Rock" mentality is very narrowminded and somewhat contradictory and shows that some people can't or won't accept change.

Led Zeppelin were playing "Country" long before it became uncool.

Hey Hey What Can I Do and Down By The Seaside come to mind and possibly Bron - Yr - Stomp to name a few.

Also they are just as much an acoustic band as they are "Rock".

The same goes for Neil Young he plays just as much "Rock" as he does "Country" yet some people put shit on him because they are not into his music.

John Paul Jones IMO the greatest and most underrated multi instrumentalist of the modern era has played just as much "Country and Bluegrass" music as Robert yet this seems ok and it is.

As for just buying the CD because it's Robert Plant well that's only half of it, as the O2 gig shows he is managing his voice the best way he can, he is in his 60's after all.

Yet people expect him to perform like he did 40 YEARS ago and bagged his performance because he and the band had the audacity to tune down!

Will I buy it?

YES, not because it's better than anything he's done in the past but because i'ts different and the lad can sing.

My perception of all this is that some are frustrated with Jimmy's lack of output and rather than criticise him it's easier to bag Robert.

As he has been more productive out of the three of them post Zeppelin and willing to take risks by doing his own thing rather than living on past glories and pandering to the masses, meanwhile he seems to be wearing a target on his back.

So what if he reworks Zeppelin material, he co-wrote most of it anyway and it's not anything new Page & Plant did it and that worked well.

Like everything else music is subjective and you can't please everyone so you may as well please yourself.

Thanks Robert for everything you've given and are still giving us and get back down to Oz asap.

hi reggie :wave: you've been quiet for awhile!

hope you weren't referring to my posts, as this isn't what i meant at all .

yes, i said i don't really like this kind of music, and i mostly listen to rock, but there are some other types that i like. i would never put someone down for their tastes in music, and i expect the same from others towards my tastes.

actually i was saying that robert still has a great voice. i just don't hear it showcased on this cd.

but i do get that this cd wasn't about screaming, or trying to sing like he was still 20.

as for robert being more productive than the other two, well that has been debated on this forum many times already and my opinion on that is quantity does not equal quality.

now, that doesn't mean that roberts post zep music is better or worse than the others. that's another one where it's "each to their own".

now mate, don't go gettin your reggies in a twist! :P:D

Can't a LZ fan just say that BOJ isn't their cup of tea without being labelled as a rock reactionary? Or upset that Robert Plant's post-Zep musical output is greater than Jimmy Page's? If Page or John Paul Jones put this stuff out I wouldn't like it any better.

I'm not a big fan of country music or bluegrass, although I listen to some of it. I'm not going to go out of my way to seek it when I like rock or blues or punk more.

I like opera, but I wouldn't want to hear Robert Plant sing it anymore than I want to hear Jeff Beck play it. Does that make me narrow-minded?

You're right, musical taste is subjective, let's just agree to disagree without all the condescending statements.

:thanku::goodpost:

I listened to the album last night for the first time on my MP3 player and I really liked it. It was much better than I was expecting, and of course I wasn't expecting it to be anything remotely like Zeppelin. My favourite track was 'Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down', very haunting and perfect for Robert's vocal range. Some of the other tracks I wasn't so keen on I'm sure they'll grow on me with further listening. I thought the album was really well recorded, you could hear the strings of all the different instruments clearly, nothing was too overwhelming. I also loved the country/folk interpretation of a lot of the songs.

Been reading a lot of the posts here from the pro-Band of Joy people and the con-BOJ people and each really do make valid arguments. It basically comes down to tastes in music. But . . . . . . I wonder if there may be something else, an underlying disillusionment or uneasiness with this project of Roberts.

Please bear with me (maybe this should be in random thoughts - LOL),

but, I've also been reading a lot of Robert's interviews. From what I can gather, he's in a very very happy place and has been for several years now with this new American/Southern/Country sound he is experimenting with. Not to mention, has been very successful with, getting great reviews and multiple rewards (Raising Sand). I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this new CD gets the same recognition that RS did. So . . . . .

the more successful Robert's solo projects are, the more and more distant he becomes from Led Zeppelin. Basically that was then, this is now. Time and success are pushing him further and further away from who he was and what he did fronting Zep, and as a result, I think deep inside, this saddens a lot of LZ fans. This saddens me as a Led Zep fan - even though I truly do like this new CD and will be purchasing it today. A part of me still has this longing - a longing to hear him once again say I will get back with Jimmy and JP and do more than one show. A longing to hear him belt out some Zep tunes as they are meant to be sung (not re-worked and toned down). My heart longs for it, but my head says that's not reality, it will never happen, it's done, finis', grow up, move on, give it up. It's a nostalgia for days gone by, a nostalgia for what will never be again. Maybe, just maybe this may be the root of some of the underlying discontentment surrounding this new project of his?

Just my 2 cents and random thoughts and too much rambling from too much coffee, sorry - just wanted to share with like-minded others.

Funny you should mention this, Jeff Beck played the melody of The Immigrant Song with Jimmy at Beck's induction into the RRHOF.

Where's the condescension and labelling?

If only people would just leave it as "not their cup of tea" instead of constantly bagging everything he does or his decision not to tour with / as, Led Zeppelin.

Read the post and it says MY PERCEPTION.

Just calling it as I see it and it seems I've touched a nerve.

I mentioned Jeff Beck because he recorded "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's opera Turnadot on his last album.

I have no problem with your perception or anyone else's, I just detect an attitude here that if I don't like Plant's current album then I must be a Plant-hater or stuck in the 70's.

Been reading a lot of the posts here from the pro-Band of Joy people and the con-BOJ people and each really do make valid arguments. It basically comes down to tastes in music. But . . . . . . I wonder if there may be something else, an underlying disillusionment or uneasiness with this project of Roberts.

Please bear with me (maybe this should be in random thoughts - LOL),

but, I've also been reading a lot of Robert's interviews. From what I can gather, he's in a very very happy place and has been for several years now with this new American/Southern/Country sound he is experimenting with. Not to mention, has been very successful with, getting great reviews and multiple rewards (Raising Sand). I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this new CD gets the same recognition that RS did. So . . . . .

the more successful Robert's solo projects are, the more and more distant he becomes from Led Zeppelin. Basically that was then, this is now. Time and success are pushing him further and further away from who he was and what he did fronting Zep, and as a result, I think deep inside, this saddens a lot of LZ fans. This saddens me as a Led Zep fan - even though I truly do like this new CD and will be purchasing it today. A part of me still has this longing - a longing to hear him once again say I will get back with Jimmy and JP and do more than one show. A longing to hear him belt out some Zep tunes as they are meant to be sung (not re-worked and toned down). My heart longs for it, but my head says that's not reality, it will never happen, it's done, finis', grow up, move on, give it up. It's a nostalgia for days gone by, a nostalgia for what will never be again. Maybe, just maybe this may be the root of some of the underlying discontentment surrounding this new project of his?

Just my 2 cents and random thoughts and too much rambling from too much coffee, sorry - just wanted to share with like-minded others.

Well worth your 2 cents, you capture the feelings of people from both sides well. Everyone here wants to see more Zeppelin but we know it won't happen and it is hard to accept for many if not all of us.

Some can't forgive Robert for not touring under the name of Zep and this means some can't and won't accept anything else he does for that reason. For others it is about the type of music he is into at this time but i feel BOJ is a more eclectic mix of songs than Raising Sand was.

Who knows he may get back into the blues which influenced him, it's hardly a million miles away from this album. I for one would like that from him. B)

A good example for something to do in that vein for me is the acoustic/blues version of Great Spirit but I feel it would fit with the BOJ too.

One of the things for me that has come out of listening to his music especially since Dreamland is that he has embraced other genres and influences which has led to me checking some of them and finding some incredible music and musicians which in turn has expanded my music collection which I in turn have shared with others and so it goes on. That surely has to be a good thing. There's nothing new in this cos its what Zep did and back then introduced me to wider styles and influences.

So I see myself as being open minded to different music, 30 years or even 20 years ago i would not have believed that my music collection would include stuff that it does. But my life listening to music has been the richer for it. How many here have now checked out Low, Los lobos and Townes Van Zant,Buddy Miller, Patti Griffin? I have. So I would like to thank Robert Jonesy and Jimmy for bringing new stuff into my life down the years.

Thanks ledded! And, well said.

Just came home with my copy of BOJ and one of the things that I immediately noticed was the back cover. I don't know if it has been mentioned in any of the other threads, but I'm pretty sure no one here has mentioned it. Check it out:

post-14874-053477700 1284491248_thumb.jp

Just a little homage to his former self and previous life.

I like that he included that, it's a nice touch. :rolleyes:

(sorry it's so small, but if you want a better look, just click on the pic)

Well worth your 2 cents, you capture the feelings of people from both sides well. Everyone here wants to see more Zeppelin but we know it won't happen and it is hard to accept for many if not all of us.

Some can't forgive Robert for not touring under the name of Zep and this means some can't and won't accept anything else he does for that reason. For others it is about the type of music he is into at this time but i feel BOJ is a more eclectic mix of songs than Raising Sand was.

Who knows he may get back into the blues which influenced him, it's hardly a million miles away from this album. I for one would like that from him. B)

A good example for something to do in that vein for me is the acoustic/blues version of Great Spirit but I feel it would fit with the BOJ too.

One of the things for me that has come out of listening to his music especially since Dreamland is that he has embraced other genres and influences which has led to me checking some of them and finding some incredible music and musicians which in turn has expanded my music collection which I in turn have shared with others and so it goes on. That surely has to be a good thing. There's nothing new in this cos its what Zep did and back then introduced me to wider styles and influences.

So I see myself as being open minded to different music, 30 years or even 20 years ago i would not have believed that my music collection would include stuff that it does. But my life listening to music has been the richer for it. How many here have now checked out Low, Los lobos and Townes Van Zant,Buddy Miller, Patti Griffin? I have. So I would like to thank Robert Jonesy and Jimmy for bringing new stuff into my life down the years.

With all due respect Paul, many of us have already visited most if not all of the musical style that Robert is currently exploring . It may be new for Robert but for me personally, it's nothing new at all.

With all due respect Paul, many of us have already visited most if not all of the musical style that Robert is currently exploring . It may be new for Robert but for me personally, it's nothing new at all.

I undersstand that ally but part of his journey is cos he's Britishand so he has ben finding stuff that interetsts and excites him as more of an outsider compared to

Americans already being aware of some of this stuff.

I daresay the same could be said for an American artist discovering some British folk and Celtic music for the first time.

I was also talking about his African influences encouraged and expanded by Justin Adams who i'd forgot to mention earlier. I explored much more african and world music beyond what I already knew or had.

Some stuff is brand new to me but part of my point was about discovering new music whatever the genre or origin and about people in general being open to new stuff.

I think cos it may be familiar tous doesn't mean someone else can't be excited or influenced by it even in their/our later years. B)

I undersstand that ally but part of his journey is cos he's Britishand so he has ben finding stuff that interetsts and excites him as more of an outsider compared to

Americans already being aware of some of this stuff.

I daresay the same could be said for an American artist discovering some British folk and Celtic music for the first time.

I was also talking about his African influences encouraged and expanded by Justin Adams who i'd forgot to mention earlier. I explored much more african and world music beyond what I already knew or had.

Some stuff is brand new to me but part of my point was about discovering new music whatever the genre or origin and about people in general being open to new stuff.

I think cos it may be familiar tous doesn't mean someone else can't be excited or influenced by it even in their/our later years. B)

And I would be the last person to discourage an open mind when it comes to music of any sort. My point was that I think some are just not into the direction Robert is taking at the moment . As opposed to not liking Robert for taking it or because they aren't musically open minded enough to give it a chance

Anyways, like you I will continue to explore and look forward to a good sit down with his new stuff

And I would be the last person to discourage an open mind when it comes to music of any sort. My point was that I think some are just not into the direction Robert is taking at the moment . As opposed to not liking Robert for taking it or because they aren't musically open minded enough to give it a chance

Anyways, like you I will continue to explore and look forward to a good sit down with his new stuff

Again Ally you have read me like a book, what you have said is me down to a tee, but then again i am as rigid in my musical opinions as i ever have been, if i smell shit i say it stinks right away, if i don't like something as soulful as someones music then i have to be honest with myself before i start to worry about offending people, yes I'm still stuck back in the seventies, yes i still wear jeans and tee shirts, yes i still have a deep respect for women, and i hate country music with a vengeance, i also brought Paul Simon's Graceland's CD because my wife asked me to, does that make me a Bad Person?

Regards, Danny

I don't disagree with your point about people not liking the direction he has gone, it's quite clear in the threads dating back to Raising Sand's release. Some even earlier where they didn't like Dreamaland and Mighty rearranger, but there are some who don't rate his solo career at all which i find harder to understand. But then it's not led zeppelin is it and for some thats what it's all about.

Still many of us have argued long and hard about him and it gets nowhere cos he still does what he wants as do many other musicians but he gets a harder time than most.

Still....

Here's to great music wherever it comes from and thers so much more to discover and enjoy, equally there'splentyof stuffout there i can't stand. Music is so subjective thats whats so good about it.

I don't disagree with your point about people not liking the direction he has gone, it's quite clear in the threads dating back to Raising Sand's release. Some even earlier where they didn't like Dreamaland and Mighty rearranger, but there are some who don't rate his solo career at all which i find harder to understand. But then it's not led zeppelin is it and for some thats what it's all about.

Still many of us have argued long and hard about him and it gets nowhere cos he still does what he wants as do many other musicians but he gets a harder time than most.

Still....

Here's to great music wherever it comes from and thers so much more to discover and enjoy, equally there'splentyof stuffout there i can't stand. Music is so subjective thats whats so good about it.

Yeah,expectations are high so he does get a harder time than most . Without getting into the p's and q's, I just wanted to set the record straight about the why's, I think Robert himself would agree that a subjective look at what he decides to do is not unreasonable . If anything, that subjective view and knowing that there actually is one, is probably something that he welcomes.For long time fans, it's not going to matter whether we like this album or not. Nobody is going to give up on him. We'll all still be interested in what comes next and that in itself should explain were I'm coming from.

Enjoy

Just came home with my copy of BOJ and one of the things that I immediately noticed was the back cover. I don't know if it has been mentioned in any of the other threads, but I'm pretty sure no one here has mentioned it. Check it out:

post-14874-053477700 1284491248_thumb.jp

Just a little homage to his former self and previous life.

I like that he included that, it's a nice touch. :rolleyes:

(sorry it's so small, but if you want a better look, just click on the pic)

Thanks for the pic justawoman,interesting that the feather makes an appearance,and it is a nice touch too.I enjoyed listening to

Angel Dance

Silver Rider

and Monkey

from the new album streaming.

Reggie,you made some great points and I agree with what you're saying.My POV is If RP wasn't doing anything there'd be people griping about that.

If RP overturned his present way of life and went back to Led Zeppelin there'd be those that would say his voice just isn't up to it anymore.

What ever he does,not everyone's going to agree with it.That's just human nature.

RP may have done the reworked Zep songs at the live shows to placate the LZ fans,or at the very least to give people a little something from the past.The fact also remains that they're his songs too.But even that wasn't good enough for a lot of people, 'cos if it ain't Zeppelin it just ain't the shit!!.I suppose I'm just easily pleased to hear them again,albeit reworked.It's no big deal.Things change.

Pagey could be in for a good forum spanking then,when & if the new material surfaces.;)

yes! i agree! :thumbsup::goodpost:

Well, I've only listened to it once, but I can understand why nobody's jumping up and down saying how great it is. Maybe it sounds better at 4am when the partying's over and you're just finishing off the last bottle of red. And I don't know quite what the monkey's done to deserve a fate like this. He must have been a very bad monkey.

It might all be easier to take if one knew it was a career-break indulgence, Robert's Folly so to speak, but one suspects he will be into this stuff from here on in. Either way, I'd say it's an all-time career low at this juncture. Anybody disagree with that?

Yes. It's different from what he did with Led Zeppelin, but different doesn't mean worse. It just means different. He's in a different headspace now, so the music will reflect that.

I'll like/enjoy almost any genre/style of music.

Absolutely! That's the way I feel. :thumbsup:

Well, I've only listened to it once, but I can understand why nobody's jumping up and down saying how great it is. Maybe it sounds better at 4am when the partying's over and you're just finishing off the last bottle of red. And I don't know quite what the monkey's done to deserve a fate like this. He must have been a very bad monkey. It might all be easier to take if one knew it was a career-break indulgence, Robert's Folly so to speak, but one suspects he will be into this stuff from here on in. Either way, I'd say it's an all-time career low at this juncture. Anybody disagree with that?

I completely disagree. This is one of my favorite albums from Robert, actually. So, I guess you can put me down as one who is "jumping up and down saying how great it is". Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Having said that, your comment about the Monkey is actually pretty funny. ;)

Well, I've only listened to it once, but I can understand why nobody's jumping up and down saying how great it is. Maybe it sounds better at 4am when the partying's over and you're just finishing off the last bottle of red. And I don't know quite what the monkey's done to deserve a fate like this. He must have been a very bad monkey.

It might all be easier to take if one knew it was a career-break indulgence, Robert's Folly so to speak, but one suspects he will be into this stuff from here on in. Either way, I'd say it's an all-time career low at this juncture. Anybody disagree with that?

Completely disagree - If you look at all of Robert's solo albums, you'll see that after 2 with the same band, he seems to move in a different direction so I'd not assume his next venture will be anything like this or Raising Sand. I also don't think this is like Raising Sand at all - different style of roots music, totally different vibe.

In answer to your second question, I love what he's doing now. I saw him recently and by far the best concert of his I've ever seen (and I've seen many). I've pretty much liked everything he's done and not blindly because he's Robert Plant but I admire his willingness not to rest on his laurels and he goes about experimenting in his own way.

Archived