John Lennon killer Chapman denied parole in NY

Levee

By CAROLYN THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer Carolyn Thompson, Associated Press Writer – Tue Sep 7, 6:22 pm ETBUFFALO, N.Y. – John Lennon's killer was again denied parole in New York, nearly 30 years after gunning down the ex-Beatle outside the musician's New York City apartment building.

A parole board decided not to release Mark David Chapman after interviewing him Tuesday by teleconference at Attica Correctional Facility in upstate New York.

It was Chapman's sixth appearance before the board since becoming eligible for parole in 2000. He will be eligible again in 2012.

Chapman, 55, had been scheduled to appear last month, but the hearing was postponed by parole officials, who said at the time they were awaiting additional information. They did not elaborate.

After Tuesday's decision, the board wrote to Chapman that it remains concerned about "the disregard you displayed for the norms of our society and the sanctity of human life when, after careful planning, you travelled to New York for the sole purpose of killing John Lennon."

The panel said "release remains inappropriate at this time and incompatible with the welfare of the community."

Among those who have opposed his release is Lennon's now 77-year-old widow, Yoko Ono, who said last month that she believed Chapman is a potential threat to her family and perhaps himself.

A call seeking comment from a spokesman for Ono was not immediately returned.

The former maintenance man from Hawaii was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison after firing five shots outside Lennon's Manhattan building on Dec. 8, 1980, hitting Lennon four times in front of his wife and others. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

At his last parole hearing, in 2008, Chapman told the panel he was ashamed and sorry for what he had done and had since developed a deeper understanding of the value of a human life.

He said he had been seeking notoriety and fame to counter feelings of failure.

After that interview, parole officials noted that Chapman had not been disciplined in prison since 1994 and said he had adjusted to his incarceration. But they denied release "due to concern for the public safety and welfare," according to the written decision.

Chapman was informed of the panel's most recent finding a few hours after the hearing. The state Division of Parole is expected to release a transcript of the interview within the next several days.

Lennon would have turned 70 this October.

Oh what a surprise. Lets ask a question. Lets say you are on the board, and you must let one of these people go! Must.

Chapman, Siran Siran, Son of Sam, the Manson girl (forget her name), Scott Peterson, Ramirez?

I'd resign from the board before letting any of that trash back out into society.

I'd resign from the board before letting any of that trash back out into society.

Good answer. Am I forgetting anyone on the notorious list? I wonder if they will ever catch the zodiac killer? Perhaps he is already dead? He will be our Jack the Ripper. Another one they will probably never solve.

I don't even know who Siran Siran is. Anything to do with Duran Duran? Nor Scott Peterson. And I thought OJ walked free?

If I had to choose, I'd let the Manson chick go free. She was kind of cute. But I'd cut her hands off first.

I don't even know who Siran Siran is. Anything to do with Duran Duran? Nor Scott Peterson. And I thought OJ walked free?

If I had to choose, I'd let the Manson chick go free. She was kind of cute. But I'd cut her hands off first.

Siran Siran shot and killed Robert F Kennedy. Man. and Peterson killed his wife Lacy. Her and her unborn child washed up in the ocean near San Francisco.

Honestly the only thing I care about in any of those instances is whether or not the person has served the time for their crime. If a life sentence was imposed and they are looking for ways out I have a problem with it. If they did their time I don't. Fair or not that is the law. In the case of MDC he received 20 to life so parole is certainly a consideration, not something I want to see but those that handed down the sentence opened the door for this.

It's Sirhan Sirhan, for God's sake.

Well excuse me for the mispelling! I mean, what else can you complain about? I was only telling him who he is. Thought that pretty much everyone knew this. I really dont care how his name is spelled. I know the history and its one of the darkest days in America. And I still dont think he was in on it alone.

I am really glad that Chapman has been denied parole once again but I really don't see why he should be eligible for parole again in 2012! It just doesn't seem fair and this fact just doesn't seem to make any sense to me! Can't the guy just stay in prison without the possibility of parole?! He is obviously a menance to society! So why the possibility of parole?! Its as ridiculous as releasing a criminal from prision for "good behaviour"!

I dont wear a towel around my head so my spelling on these type of names is not up to date

Wow. I didn't know they had rednecks in NY State. But maybe you're from the South originally.

What's your take on that preacher in Florida who's threatening to burn the Koran tomorrow? As if I have to ask.

Wow. I didn't know they had rednecks in NY State. But maybe you're from the South originally.

What's your take on that preacher in Florida who's threatening to burn the Koran tomorrow? As if I have to ask.

Give me the match and Ill light it. Bastards. Burn baby burn! Koran inferno!!! Burn baby burn it, light me a fire!! Burn baby burn it!!!:drunk:

Sirhan Sirhan was a Christian from Palestine. He was not Muslim and even if he was, his religion had nothing to do with why he killed Bobby Kennedy. It was Kennedy's support for Israel that pissed him off. Had you read anything about what happened, you might know that.

Also as an aside, if when you think of terrorism you think of Muslims.....you're focusing on the wrong word. Do the world a favor and grow the hell up. All Muslims are not terrorists nor are they responsible for the ones that are. Just like not all Christians are responsible for Fred Phelps and his ilk.

Sirhan Sirhan was a Christian from Palestine. He was not Muslim and even if he was, his religion had nothing to do with why he killed Bobby Kennedy. It was Kennedy's support for Israel that pissed him off. Had you read anything about what happened, you might know that.

Seriously though....."towel-head"? Grow up.

You always have to come to his rescue dont you. You and Jahfiin are quite the team. And Im not the only one that sees it.

So, anyone that appears to be of Arabic descent is someone you immediately assume is a "terrorist"?

After 911 I am very sceptical and untrusting. And I would be very suspicious yes. It changed the way many people think. You have your choices and I have mine. You want to trust them all, go ahead. Be my guest. But they are willing to do anything to decieve and sneak into the population with one thing in mind. Kill us.

Archived