Obama Channels Hendrix

2bitnogoodjive

That was awesome! When I saw that I laughed out loud - I wondered how many other Hendrix fans would notice that. "Stone Free" is one of Jimi's best. I wish President O had continued:

...some folks in Washington don't like me. They talk about me like a dog. They talk about the clothes I wear. But let me be clear: They don't realize they're the ones who're square. Thank you, and God bless America." (Then the Woodstock version of "The Star Spangled Banner" comes blaring out.)

God bless Jimi, God bless Barack, God bless America. Wave your freak flags high.

Don't insult my German Shepard.

The key difference between Hendrix and Obama is one thing…..talent.

If Hendrix played guitar the way The One has governed his first 18 months,

“Are You Experienced” would have been 40 minutes of nothing but screeching feedback.

Agreed.

This thread may have receded from everyone's interest by now, but I must say I find it strange that Obama's opponents are also posting on the message board of a famous English rock group known for their sex-drugs-and-rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Isn't a love or admiration of those promiscuous dope smokers and followers of esoteric religions in Led Zeppelin somewhat irreconcilable with positive opinions of Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck? Didn't RP have a recent song called "Freedom Fries," poking fun at American xenophobia post 9/11?

I'm still puzzling over the mix of social and political conservatism with rock music. Yes, I know about Ted (National Rifle Association) Nugent, Gene (Support Our Troops Wherever and Whatever they Do) Simmons, and Lynyrd (Don't Tread On Me) Skynryd, but I would generally associate long-haired, electric-guitar-playing, groupie-devouring rock stars, and their fans, with the liberal end of the political spectrum.

Am I wrong, and if so, why?

Constructive comments are welcome.

Something has changed over time. What was once cool is now geeky and visa-versa.

Around my High School back in the day, none of the geeky nerds I saw were into Rock and the whole lifestyle. Maybe they were and didn't show it, but much of the lifestyle was about exhibitionism, outlandish and risky behavior.

Conservatism IS a dichotomy to that phenomena.

The conservatives will just say how they can separate the lifestyle from the music. I see it all emcompassing myself.

Don't insult my German Shepard.

The key difference between Hendrix and Obama is one thing…..talent.

If Hendrix played guitar the way The One has governed his first 18 months,

"Are You Experienced" would have been 40 minutes of nothing but screeching feedback.

All of the Obama supporters that were posting how great he is and all that rubbish, where are they now? Maybe taking in a dose of reality?

This thread may have receded from everyone's interest by now, but I must say I find it strange that Obama's opponents are also posting on the message board of a famous English rock group known for their sex-drugs-and-rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Isn't a love or admiration of those promiscuous dope smokers and followers of esoteric religions in Led Zeppelin somewhat irreconcilable with positive opinions of Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck? Didn't RP have a recent song called "Freedom Fries," poking fun at American xenophobia post 9/11?

On a similar note, I wonder why Robert Plant's most ardent critics continue to bash his current musical direction when it is steeped in many of the very same influences that Led Zeppelin was. That doesn't mean I believe everyone should like it and it is above criticism, I just don't understand the use of phrases like "hillbilly music" which are meant as a slight. Particularly when most of John Paul Jones' work (pre-Them Crooked Vultures) was just as entrenched in bluegrass, folk and other styles largely associated with Americana music.

I'm still puzzling over the mix of social and political conservatism with rock music. Yes, I know about Ted (National Rifle Association) Nugent, Gene (Support Our Troops Wherever and Whatever they Do) Simmons, and Lynyrd (Don't Tread On Me) Skynryd, but I would generally associate long-haired, electric-guitar-playing, groupie-devouring rock stars, and their fans, with the liberal end of the political spectrum.

Something has changed. In the 70s, Lynyrd Skynyrd were liberal Democrats who actively campaigned for Jimmy Carter. Today's Lynyrd Skynyrd (which bares little to no resemblance to the original) are the polar opposite politically speaking. Several years ago, during the height of the Toby Keith/Dixie Chicks controversy over the war in Iraq, a book called Rednecks and Bluenecks: The Politics of Country Music which attempted to explain the shift in political beliefs. Yes, this had more to do with country music but it can be applied to Skynyrd (and their fanbase) as well. The country music world is filled with conservatives which makes lefties such as Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard (who both penned controversial anti-war songs at the time) stand out like sore thumbs.

Back more directly to the subject at hand, I have a friend I haven't seen in years that was one of the most liberal people I knew. These days, this person is a far right wing conservative. At one time, due to their religious beliefs, this person shunned all rock n' roll, save for Christian rock. I don't know what changed but the last time I saw him, he was back into rock n' roll, partook of weed, drank like a fish and cussed like a sailor but still held tight to his political and religious beliefs. All of these things seem to go against the grain of what is normally associated with people with such conservative religious and political beliefs.

The term "conservative" has been hi-jacked by the Republican Party. They also have hi-jacked the Tea Party movement as well.

I guess it depends on what a person considers to be a "conservative viewpoint". Talking points by the GOP? No, sorry. Glenn Beck ans Sarah Palin wanting to bring "God" back into American life? I didn't think God left actually.......

I don't think Obama is that much different than W was. Both spend money like drunken sailors on shore leave, both are conducting their own wars in the Middle East. Both have (had) influential insiders from banking and industry in their cabinets and as advisors. So where's the difference?

By the way, there was a Tea Party movement when W was still in office so it's not just a "it's because Obama is black" argument, that's lame as hell. I just wish people could see through the republican gibberish that's tainted that entire thing.

All of the Obama supporters that were posting how great he is and all that rubbish, where are they now? Maybe taking in a dose of reality?

try watching something other than Faux News and you'll see there are still plenty of Democrats.

Of course it's hard when you have cotton in your ears and blinders on.

But enough of this :beat:

Most people get turned off by political bickering and there are plenty of other forums you can vent on.

Something has changed. In the 70s, Lynyrd Skynyrd were liberal Democrats who actively campaigned for Jimmy Carter. Today's Lynyrd Skynyrd (which bares little to no resemblance to the original) are the polar opposite politically speaking.

People forget how liberal LS really were. Saturday Night Special was about gun control, a big time no no with Conservatives these days. Also, in Sweet Home Alabama, the line "in Birmingham we love the guvner" was followed by "boo boo boo"

which was a direct contradiction of what most people thought. Ronnie Van Zandt was a brilliant songwriter and as far as i'm concerned the band known as Lynyrd Skynyrd ended on that tragic October night in 1977.

I've been saying the same thing for years. IMO you're right on the money.

I think it's just separating the art from the artists. Conservative talk shows seem to love rock in their intro.

Limbaugh: The Pretenders

Savage: AC/DC--Metallica

Lars Larson: AC/DC

I'm pretty sure that none of them appreciate it but if they get royalties from it then no use complaining ey?

I never really cared for Nugent or Kiss and Skynyrd's 'Saturday Night Special' to me is BS, but 'Simple Man' a classic.

B)

I think it's just separating the art from the artists. Conservative talk shows seem to love rock in their intro.

Limbaugh: The Pretenders

Savage: AC/DC--Metallica

Lars Larson: AC/DC

I'm pretty sure that none of them appreciate it but if they get royalties from it then no use complaining ey?

I never really cared for Nugent or Kiss and Skynyrd's 'Saturday Night Special' to me is BS, but 'Simple Man' a classic.

B)

I don't believe GeorgeC is questioning the artists but the conservative fans with a fondness for those artists whose beliefs and lifestyles are the very thing that draws the ire from the conservative party they support. In my world being a GOP supporter and being a fan of bands like Led Zeppelin is a contradiction.

In my world being a GOP supporter and being a fan of bands like Led Zeppelin is a contradiction.

I was a peacenik once but never realized how loony the left was til I got my first handgun.

But I still like to watch left leaning films like 'The Lives Of Others' and 'Christ Stopped At Eboli'

I'm not completely heartless.

B)

try watching something other than Faux News and you'll see there are still plenty of Democrats.

Of course it's hard when you have cotton in your ears and blinders on.

But enough of this :beat:

Most people get turned off by political bickering and there are plenty of other forums you can vent on.

Gee, I thought I saw Obama's name on the title. And by the way, I am a registered Democrat. But I am not happy with this president.

I was a peacenik once but never realized how loony the left was til I got my first handgun.

But I still like to watch left leaning films like 'The Lives Of Others' and 'Christ Stopped At Eboli'

B)

Guns are anti left? Since when? I have a gun in my room, at work, and in my line of work I could get a concealed carry permit. Protecting yourself in the modern world is reality not politics. Some have tried to take it there but we need to be realistic about this one, everyone hides behind guns, bombs, might, etc. these days. Not much if any different than the sword.

I think Jack Bruce said it best: "I support the left, though I'm leaning to the right.."

B)

and there are no "loonies" on the right?

i'm left only because I support the working class of this country who may not have higher education, but have the same determination as someone with a degree. These are the folks who are not actively involved in politics and could be forgotten.

Archived