Band of Joy

pujols05

Please don't get me wrong. I don't hold it against him. It just speaks volumes to me. It wouldn't have busted his balls to do a tour especially considering he is still doing Zep songs, and wasn't the offer something like a couple of million per show? If he didn't need that, a tour would have been a small sacrifice compared to what he could have done with that money so I don't buy the "artististic integrity" argument. I would sooner believe a self serving interests argument.

But why should he do it? He patently does not want to , so that should be the end of the story. Robert owes nothing to the fans - he paid his dues as far as touring and album releases were concerned. Look forward, not back. It has been 30+ years- get over it. You may not enjoy what he is doing now as much but surely you must defend his right to do it. So many defunct , previously successful bands who reform "for the fans" are often sad reflections of what they used to be - you cannot reproduce your earlier career without looking desperate and often foolish - just look at Axl Rose (mind you he was always crap). You have to adapt to your changing image,voice and preferences and move on. RP has done it with dignity and integrity. I do not think he would have done the reunion gig but for the Ahmet Ertegun connection- it really was a homage to him.

I have to say I am not that enamoured of the new BoJ's stuff-I did buy the album and hated it at first but it has grown on me a little. My new favourite is an album called Man Alive by Everything Everything - something new(ish) at last. Check it out - its a love it or hate it kind of thing - i plump for the former.

Now that is interesting. I am listening to the sampler on Amazon. It sounds kind of like Radiohead meets funk. The vocals are nice. I find Robert's vocals have become whiney. They irritate my brain. I don't know why so many people are offended as if it's a crime to not like his new work. I would need therapy if I kept listening to it.

But why should he do it? He patently does not want to , so that should be the end of the story. Robert owes nothing to the fans - he paid his dues as far as touring and album releases were concerned. Look forward, not back. It has been 30+ years- get over it. You may not enjoy what he is doing now as much but surely you must defend his right to do it. So many defunct , previously successful bands who reform "for the fans" are often sad reflections of what they used to be - you cannot reproduce your earlier career without looking desperate and often foolish -

In reality it is a romantic notion of mine that artists can change the world for the better and in that regard, a tour would have been a small personal sacrifice in exchange for what could have been done with the revenue. It all depends on what you're in it for, I suppose. But he is not me, and I am coming to terms with the fact that he won't do what I would have done.

I would rather hear Jimmy's playing without the obstruction of vocals, so I have nothing to get over in regards to wishing for a reunion. I do also think that because he refused to do it, that playing Zep songs in his current act is like a slap in the face to the members of the band who wanted to, even though the songs have been modified to his new stylle. In actuality, artists should improve with age.

You know what? I am bored with this conversation now. Enough already.

Hey...wait!! I am truly enjoying your BoJ stories and Robert's early years in the band. Do tell more!

We have members here who knew/know the band..Zep. But none who go back that far...at least I know of none.

As far as this new BoJ, and it's just my opinion...it doesn't cut it for me. I cringed too when I heard steel guitar on Tangerine...UGH!!

Hey...wait!! I am truly enjoying your BoJ stories and Robert's early years in the band. Do tell more!

We have members here who knew/know the band..Zep. But none who go back that far...at least I know of none.

As far as this new BoJ, and it's just my opinion...it doesn't cut it for me. I cringed too when I heard steel guitar on Tangerine...UGH!!

I agree. I think he meant the other stuff.

It's flattering that you enjoy historical anecdotes - there are a lot of stories about the early days that are just plain wrong. I met Robert because I knew Chris Brown as a primary school friend. However I had seen RP around as I had an after school job at a petrol station near to where Maureen lived and Rob visited the family often. When he got his first old car -Morris Minor convertible-gery he used to come in for petrol and he was always really pleasant. In those days he used to wear old gangster suits - he was always very striking and charismatic even then.

It's flattering that you enjoy historical anecdotes - there are a lot of stories about the early days that are just plain wrong. I met Robert because I knew Chris Brown as a primary school friend. However I had seen RP around as I had an after school job at a petrol station near to where Maureen lived and Rob visited the family often. When he got his first old car -Morris Minor convertible-gery he used to come in for petrol and he was always really pleasant. In those days he used to wear old gangster suits - he was always very striking and charismatic even then.

Interesting. :yourock:

Thanks been watching RP and BoJ on The Electric Proms on TV. An OK gig but no real excitement.

I am biting my tongue and refraining from saying anything. Hey, at least you were able to sit thrugh it. :oops: I said something. B) Hey, we can have a bit of fun, can't we?

Robert said he felt that he should be so grateful to still be performing and enjoying music the way he does, that he felt that every band he is ever in from now on should be called "The Band of Joy". There's actually no connection to the first band, other than the name, and yeah I know that's a pretty big connection, but also a pretty big space of time between then and now. It doesn't really work to compare the two.

But that's no disrespect to you Beresford - keep telling your stories they are grand! :)

Robert said he felt that he should be so grateful to still be performing and enjoying music the way he does, that he felt that every band he is ever in from now on should be called "The Band of Joy". There's actually no connection to the first band, other than the name, and yeah I know that's a pretty big connection, but also a pretty big space of time between then and now. It doesn't really work to compare the two.

But that's no disrespect to you Beresford - keep telling your stories they are grand! :)

Yes that puts it into perspective.

Does anybody know where I might find some old Band Of Joy recordings? Specifically some live stuff and yeah, I saw Kevin at the Manchester gig too :)

(PS I've heard 66 to Timbuktu)

Many thanks for any help I might get!

Does anybody know where I might find some old Band Of Joy recordings? Specifically some live stuff and yeah, I saw Kevin at the Manchester gig too :)

(PS I've heard 66 to Timbuktu)

Many thanks for any help I might get!

There were only 4 tracks ever recorded to my knowledge recorded on an acetate. I had a cassette recording taken from Paul Lockey's copy. All the band broke or lost their copies and when Robert compiled 66 to Timbuktu he asked me for it and took the tracks for the album. The other tracks were Adriatic Sea Cruise and Memory Lane (about Dagger Lane where I still live). Robert sings "I ain't gonna go down Dagger lane no more" a reference to the first manager Pop Brown (Chris's dad) who sacked Robert. I live about 5 houses up from where Chris lived. There is no live recordings at all as far as I know - they were different days- people did not record everything like they do now - the technology for small bands was not up to it.

Well I saw Pete Robinson on Friday and he is ambivalent about it-I think anyone who was around in '67 and knew the Band are perplexed as to why Rob used the name again. Kevyn still lives next door to Rob as far as I know so I suppose he was aware of it all along. Paul is moving to Spain soon and Chris lives in Devon and I hear from him only rarely.

Bes,

You should get in touch with Harry Barber, who has written a biography about the Band Of Joy (http://www.bandofjoy.com). He has been trying to get in touch with Chris Brown for many years.

Bes,

You should get in touch with Harry Barber, who has written a biography about the Band Of Joy (http://www.bandofjoy.com). He has been trying to get in touch with Chris Brown for many years.

Tried to contact him through Facebook but have not had an answer yet. I had a look at his book and there are a few odd facts I think - it has been a couple of years since I last saw Aitch and we were going to talk about the old days but it never came to anything. Thanks for the website address.

Just left a couple of messages on his website so maybe he will be in touch.

Tried to contact him through Facebook but have not had an answer yet. I had a look at his book and there are a few odd facts I think - it has been a couple of years since I last saw Aitch and we were going to talk about the old days but it never came to anything. Thanks for the website address. Just left a couple of messages on his website so maybe he will be in touch.

I have his home and email address on file to pass along a message if necessary.

I have his home and email address on file to pass along a message if necessary.

Thanks but his address is on the website - are you the Steve Jones that was in one of the Band of Joy lineups? If you are you may remember me from that short tour of Wales you did in 67 (?) when Bowen tried driving the van back when he had only had a few lessons, because Rob was falling asleep while driving.

• 3 months later...

I have to say I am not that enamoured of the new BoJ's stuff-I did buy the album and hated it at first but it has grown on me a little. My new favourite is an album called Man Alive by Everything Everything - something new(ish) at last. Check it out - its a love it or hate it kind of thing - i plump for the former.

I dont know if your still around Beresford but Im digging what Ive heard so far from Everything Everything. When I get the chance will listen to more. kinda "esoteric?" dunno if thats the right word but good either way.

Archived