IS "SCIENCE" THE "NEW RELIGION"?

BIGDAN

I don't define Science either, but i believe that there is more than one Science, in fact many. The Science of This or the Science of That, that's why i and many other people in the Martial Arts World believe that The Martial Arts are a Science, because it is Measurable, because it conforms too and uses Physics, because it is Whole. We may see it differently but that's what makes for a thrilling debate don't you think?

Basically everything "conforms to and uses" physics. When a baseball player is getting ready to catch a fly ball, his brain has to consider velocity, gravity, mass, etc. for him to be able to stand in the right place to catch the ball. I wouldn't call him a physicist and I wouldn't call baseball a science. When you're having sex, you're conforming to and using biological functions. There's even the chance that you'll end up reproducing, which is an incredibly complex process. But I don't consider having sex performing science.

Science can be used to study baseball and sex, just like it can be used to study martial arts, but that doesn't mean any of those things are science.

Hi Nathan,

And thanks, you have given me a lot to study, all of which i will take my time over.

I don't define Science either, but i believe that there is more than one Science, in fact many. The Science of This or the Science of That, that's why i and many other people in the Martial Arts World believe that The Martial Arts are a Science, because it is Measurable, because it conforms too and uses Physics, because it is Whole. We may see it differently but that's what makes for a thrilling debate don't you think?

Oh most certainly.

I hate to basically plagiarize another poster, but pretty much all activities use science in one way or another, mostly Physics.

PS, The thing that astounded me when i first started to be initiated in to the world of Ju Jitsu is how it provides Harmony (Balance) between the physical and spiritual worlds, i suppose what I'm trying to say is that it gives meaning in a Physical, Mental and Spiritual way that i had not expected or experienced before or since.

I don't really believe all that much in the spirit or spirit world, so... yeah...

No. I didn't even know he had a forum. I'm a fan of his from hearing him on podcasts. I went ahead and signed up and put in your name as the person who referred me to the forum. I'm going to check out that tube amp thread.

Here you go:

http://forums.randi....ad.php?t=170707

Short thread... unfortunately, I probably hold a record for some of the smallest threads that have been replied to. The most replies I got in a thread I started was 56... :(

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi All,

I have just been watching some documentaries in which Prof Stephen Hawking is asking his audience to believe his Theories on Time, Space and Travel, and thay have left me feeling Hawking is more of a High Priest of Sceince Ficton than a Scientist of Factual Proof, any thoughts on this?

Regards, Danny

Hi All,

I have just been watching some documentaries in which Prof Stephen Hawking is asking his audience to believe his Theories on Time, Space and Travel, and thay have left me feeling Hawking is more of a High Priest of Sceince Ficton than a Scientist of Factual Proof, any thoughts on this?

Regards, Danny

He could be a complete charlatan, but we'd never be able to prove it.

As a side-issue, a friend of mine used to go out with a nurse (NHS, I believe), who was a member of the apparently enormous team required to keep him fed, wiped and watered. She had serious misgivings about the morality of so many resources being devoted to him. I think she ended up resigning, or requesting a transfer.

Any thoughts?

He could be a complete charlatan, but we'd never be able to prove it.

As a side-issue, a friend of mine used to go out with a nurse (NHS, I believe), who was a member of the apparently enormous team required to keep him fed, wiped and watered. She had serious misgivings about the morality of so many resources being devoted to him. I think she ended up resigning, or requesting a transfer.

Any thoughts?

Hi Bouillon,

The man is a Genius and I for one do not begrudge one penny that is spent on him, when I think of the Billions wasted on the Shameless, Greedy, Work Shy, Lazy Embezzling Bastards that infest our Great Shores, right now that's the Politicians dealt with who's next? :o;):lol:

Many Geniuses go mad or become deluded in their own mind, Einstein did for one, Hawking may end up this way too but he also may make another amazing discovery or breakthrough in science again, lets wait before we judge him too harshly shall we?

Regards, Danny

This may sound really wrong but I have always had this suspicion that Hawking is just this really unfortunate guy in a chair and all that voice stuff is just someone off to the side talking into a remote microphone. Like some clown head at a kids pizza party resturant. And Hawking is just this human puppet put out there for show and to make money for some Wizard of Oz / P.T. Barnum type.

Everytime I see him I also think of Captain Pike from the first Star Trek episode.

I think it's a great shame that people identify Stephen Hawking with his synthetic voice, rather than his original scientific ideas and to his credit he's had a lot. An IR censor in his cheek lets him twitch to spell and speak words. I know it seems unnatural hearing him speak this way.

I agree with Danny, that Hawking, like any disabled person, deserves the right to be kept alive at the expense of the taxpayer. He's contributed so much to the world of science, and continues to contribute to our understanding of the universe, as well as helping to educate the next generation of scientists through his work at Cambridge and elsewhere. It's amazing that he's managed to stay alive as long as he has. He was practically handed a death sentence when he was first diagnosed. In a non-spirtual way, it's almost like he was meant to survive because he has so much to contribute.

He also has a great sense of humour, and he can make light of his debilitating condition. :D

I think that global warming sure seems like a religion to me. They have global warming prophets like Al Gore, and a whole bunch of devoted followers. You can even make money contributions to the cause.

And if you disagree you are branded a heretic.

Thank you Brad, are we speaking from the same Hymn Book or what? :D

But how to solve the issue of global warming?

As CO2 is the main issue why not make more soft drinks (Coca Cola), more beer (Bud), more airarseholes (Japaneese deodorants) or better still, as 80% of all the worlds forests have been cut down, plant forests everywhere, we can even make it a Duty for every citizen to grow 10 herbal plants (you know what i mean) and voila, problem solved. ;)

Regards, Danny

PS, I know a Heratic who lives alone in a cave, is he a Hermatic? :lol:

• 1 month later...

I recently read an article that seemed to suggest that the planet was warming at nearly the same rate that it was also cooling.:blink:

And then in another magazine I read that fears over climate change has caused an exponential growth in the sale of wooden toothbrushes--- as an option to those planet killing plastic ones.

It's so encouraging to know that there are so many crusaders out there willing to save our planet and our continued existence here one toothbrush at a time.

Now on another subject: how about the power of that tsunami in Japan? Amazing thing this planet of ours.B)

Hi Brad,

The road to reduce Global Warming and reducing CO2 in the atmosphere is so simple i can believe an idiot like me is the only one to come up with it, what is it you may ask?

"Grow More Dope"

Yeah i know, it'll never happen, but why not? We have already cut down 80% of the worlds forests and vegitation, so if we started to grow on a continental scale a product that is being consumed at a large enough rate then this may solve the problem. We could also produce Bio Fuel on a Global Scale and produce Plastics from Sheeps Milk as well. Its real easy when you spend a little time thinking rather than being an Internet Warrior.

And i hope you arent being sarcastic with your reference to the Japaneese Sunami Brad, because an even bigger one is expected from the Tenerife Area some time soon and it will probably wipe out the Eastern Seeboard of the USA, and much of Europe as well.

Kind Regards, Danny

Archived