Best Audience recorded shows

Flyingzepp

Not a fan of the 7/6 show? I personally think its a great show for '77 standards.

Well, it did have a couple high points, nobodys fault and in my time of dying were good and the acoustic set was alright. but the opening is rough, and so is kashmir and achilles, and rock and roll. Just seemed like they were really struggling through the songs, Stairway is a disaster.

Well, it did have a couple high points, nobodys fault and in my time of dying were good and the acoustic set was alright. but the opening is rough, and so is kashmir and achilles, and rock and roll. Just seemed like they were really struggling through the songs, Stairway is a disaster.

Did you get the new soundboard or one of the audience recordings for 6/7/77? As usual, the multitude of mistakes stick out like a sore thumb on the SBD...IMO 6/7 is best appreciated on the "Rawhide" audience recording. For me, the SBD ended up in the great Recycle Bin In The Sky as soon as I finished listening to the whole thing...for '77 you need audience tapes to really appreciate the shows. The soundboards don't do them justice and can actually make for some embarrassing listening moments (I cringed at that NFBM solo and said, "Fucking hell, Jimmy, that solo was bloody awful!" My wife laughed and agreed)

And, yeah, those Copenhagen '79 shows kick ass. Mighty fine recordings as well, arguably in the Millard category. A few people reckon them to actually be superior performances to the Knebworth shows, 'cos the pressure was off. I'd tend to agree. On the first Knebworth they were pretty nervous and it showed, though things improved as the show went on (usually the opposite happens with latter day Zep). On the second I think Page and Plant spent a bit too much time hanging out backstage with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood -their side project was one of the opening acts- 'cos it's pretty sloppy in places. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get the new soundboard or one of the audience recordings for 6/7/77? As usual, the multitude of mistakes stick out like a sore thumb on the SBD...IMO 6/7 is best appreciated on the "Rawhide" audience recording. For me, the SBD ended up in the great Recycle Bin In The Sky as soon as I finished listening to the whole thing...for '77 you need audience tapes to really appreciate the shows. The soundboards don't do them justice and can actually make for some embarrassing listening moments (I cringed at that NFBM solo and said, "Fucking hell, Jimmy, that solo was bloody awful!" My wife laughed and agreed)

And, yeah, those Copenhagen '79 shows kick ass. Mighty fine recordings as well, arguably in the Millard category. A few people reckon them to actually be superior performances to the Knebworth shows, 'cos the pressure was off. I'd tend to agree. On the first Knebworth they were pretty nervous and it showed, though things improved as the show went on (usually the opposite happens with latter day Zep). On the second I think Page and Plant spent a bit too much time hanging out backstage with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood -their side project was one of the opening acts- 'cos it's pretty sloppy in places. YMMV.

I got the soundboard, mabey that why, the mistakes though aren't technical though man lol. Like on Kashmir, towards the end they all go into completely different parts of the song and it takes them 30 to 40 seconds to get back on track.

I have one of the copenhagen shows actually, was checkin through my tub of zeppelin and found one, never really gave it a listen, not a big fan of 79-80 shows, really bad vibe those shows give off.

1977 tour "For badgeholders only" 1+2 is my fav.Excellent power ,presence and even the sound is not too bad.Even Robert told me that he thinks it is a very good one.

but maybe someone can tell me from whom and what message is cutted in just before the end of ALS?

1977 tour "For badgeholders only" 1+2 is my fav.Excellent power ,presence and even the sound is not too bad.Even Robert told me that he thinks it is a very good one.

but maybe someone can tell me from whom and what message is cutted in just before the end of ALS?

:P I have no idea where that snippet comes from...a definite wtf moment. I want to say it's from some Vietnam documentary or something...

I've said it before...the old vinyl 'Badgeholders' LPs are the best sounding source for that show IMO. The old TDOLZ CD also uses 'em as their main source for their set (Millard's to patch)

Just got Intimidator and am listening to it now...holy crap, it's as good as a soundboard, if not better. I know there is some soundboard mixed into the matrix, but I think it's mainly an audience recording which is amazing.

01.We're Gonna Groove(*1-*2-*1)

02.I Can't Quit You(*1)

03.Dazed and Confused(*1)

04.Heartbreaker(*1)

05.White Summer / Black Mountainside(*1-*2-*1)

06.Since I've Been Loving You(*1)

01.Organ Solo(*1)

02.Thank You(*1)

03.What Is and What Should Never Be(*1)

04.Moby Dick(*1)

05.How Many More Times(*1-*3)

incl The Hunter(*3)

/ Boogie Woogie(*3)

/ Move On Down the Line(*3)

/ Truckin' Little Mama(*3)

/ My Baby Left Me(*3)

/ Spinnin' Top(*3)

/ The Lemon Song(*3)

06.Whole Lotta Love(*3)

[source]

(*1)AUD Tape Ex- (*2)SBD Tape1 Vg (*3)SBD Tape2 Ex

This show is great, but Whole Lotta Love is incomplete and the sound is not very good, is it complete on another source ? makes me think there would also be missing encores

:P I have no idea where that snippet comes from...a definite wtf moment. I want to say it's from some Vietnam documentary or something...

I've said it before...the old vinyl 'Badgeholders' LPs are the best sounding source for that show IMO. The old TDOLZ CD also uses 'em as their main source for their set (Millard's to patch)

Thanks .-I guess this man has got not a good opinnion about the US.Cause Zep was gigging there he has putted this statement in there.Strange if you remember that this is a recording of the 70ths.....What kind and where would he put his statements in today!?.

A lot of good suggestions here so far. Just wanted to add that the AUD recording from 2/28/75 is really, really good also. I know it was mentioned before in an earlier post but just wanted to throw it out there again. It is not as well known as the great Millard recordings from LA 75 & 77, but it is a good one. Supposedly the taper of this show has one from the 77 tour also, but refuses to share it.

A lot of good suggestions here so far. Just wanted to add that the AUD recording from 2/28/75 is really, really good also. I know it was mentioned before in an earlier post but just wanted to throw it out there again. It is not as well known as the great Millard recordings from LA 75 & 77, but it is a good one. Supposedly the taper of this show has one from the 77 tour also, but refuses to share it.

That's correct- Baton Rouge '77. He also taped them in NOLA in '71 and hasn't widely circulated either show. Same guy also taped the NOLA 14 May/73 show, which is in circulation after a major shitstorm concerning its 'release'. Excellent taper (he was friends with Millard) and though a lot of people bitch about his 'hoarding' and general attitude I understand where he's coming from. Why bust your ass taping just so some other asshole can make money off of your recordings?

As I've said many times, for someone derided as a tape 'hoarder' I sure have a lot of the dude's recordings in my collection...easily more than any other taper.

And yeah, that 28-2-75 AUD recording is probably the best non-Millard '75 AUD source going...and IMO it's about on par with the Millards...and NONE of the 'bootleg' versions -including the SBD IMO- can surpass the supposed '12th gen' B) version he had shared online last year.

The '71 and '77 recordings would be to die for, sure, but too many fuckheads in the Zeppelin community (you know who you are) have royally pissed away the chances of either show seeing the light of day.

That's correct- Baton Rouge '77. He also taped them in NOLA in '71 and hasn't widely circulated either show. Same guy also taped the NOLA 14 May/73 show, which is in circulation after a major shitstorm concerning its 'release'. Excellent taper (he was friends with Millard) and though a lot of people bitch about his 'hoarding' and general attitude I understand where he's coming from. Why bust your ass taping just so some other asshole can make money off of your recordings?

As I've said many times, for someone derided as a tape 'hoarder' I sure have a lot of the dude's recordings in my collection...easily more than any other taper.

And yeah, that 28-2-75 AUD recording is probably the best non-Millard '75 AUD source going...and IMO it's about on par with the Millards...and NONE of the 'bootleg' versions -including the SBD IMO- can surpass the supposed '12th gen' B) version he had shared online last year.

The '71 and '77 recordings would be to die for, sure, but too many fuckheads in the Zeppelin community (you know who you are) have royally pissed away the chances of either show seeing the light of day.

Thanks for the info Nutrocker. It is too bad that these shows you mention most likely will not be shared. Not sure what happened to make the taper hold onto these shows, but it is a shame that someone @#%&ed it up for the rest of us by pissing off the taper. How great would it be to get a 71 concert with the audio quality of 2/28/75? That would be sweet! Here's hoping that Mr. Taper changes his mind one day.

Thanks again for your insight.

How great would it be to get a 71 concert with the audio quality of 2/28/75? That would be sweet!

Well, I think he had different recording gear by '75, but if his '71 NOLA Allman Bros recording that circulates is any indication the '71 Zep NOLA show would still be a mighty fine recording. And the '77 would be even better than the '75 as I recall he had even better gear in '77 to record (taper man has never divulged his exact recording gear to the best of my knowledge but he did claim to use ACME brand whistles and other noisemakers... :P )

I like the sound of the Earls Court DVD. I am not too pleased with the sound and performance of "How the west was won".Not their best show as Jimmy described it.

Sometimes I even like to hear a "bad" sound. Listening to bootlegs a million times brings a connection of the sound and the performance into your subcon.So listen to the hughe reverb at the number TSRTS of the Earls Court bootleg.This is just something.Also Robert said once

he does not likes the idear of taking old tapes and do a remaster cause this material belongs to a diffrent era.

Robert:"If it is up to me even Coda would not be released."

Some of the bootleg guitarsounds are even better than any official recordings ("Scince I´ve been loving you" at Blueberry Hill).

Well,just some thoughts.

Just want to know if there is a chance to get this greatest version of ALS without this comment.

Just want to know if there is a chance to get this greatest version of ALS without this comment.

The old TDOLZ CD "For Badgeholders Only" uses the 'vinyl source' with Millard patches. The wierd antiwar babbling is not on this version...that was exclusive only to the Dragonfly vinyl. I want to say the "Zeppelin Digital" FBO is the same. Most other CD versions are based in the 'third' (Goldberg?) source up to SIBLY, when Mike Millard finally remembered to take his recorder off 'pause' and captured the rest of the show... :D

• 6 months later...

Probably Winterland on 4/26, but the sound is decent but nothing earth shattering (But may be their best 1969 show?). The Fillmore show from 4/27 has great sound as does Fillmore from 4/24, The Whisky in L.A. on 1/5,some of the summers shows such as Texas Pop on 8/31, Central Park in NYC on 7/21, Newport Jazz on 7/6 and later in the year with Paris at the Olympia on 10/10 and back to SF's Winterland on 11/6. Those are some of the notable good sounding shows I can think of. There may be other shows a few members here may be able to add to this.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably Winterland on 4/26, but the sound is decent but nothing earth shattering (But may be their best 1969 show?). The Fillmore show from 4/27 has great sound as does Fillmore from 4/24, The Whisky in L.A. on 1/5,some of the summers shows such as Texas Pop on 8/31, Central Park in NYC on 7/21, Newport Jazz on 7/6 and later in the year with Paris at the Olympia on 10/10 and back to SF's Winterland on 11/6. Those are some of the notable good sounding shows I can think of. There may be other shows a few members here may be able to add to this.

The Winterland on the 26th of April is of course one of(the first?) versions of WLL ever performed aswell, quite different to the studio take. I think everyone should look to get that show in some form even if the sound isnt perfect.

Well,just some thoughts.

... that have nothing to do with the thread :)

My favorite is 3/7/70. The LA 75 stuff sounds really good too. I've never really loved the sound of the LA 77 stuff as much as others... just don't get down with the 8 string bass, the band just doesn't sound that full to me.

Ok, where does one find some of these? back in the day I used to go to the record store. I used to have lp's of badgeholders only & destroyer which were bothmultiple lp's. I'm not a big tech guy, so some pointers would be GREAT! Thanks.

http://starship.gotdns.com/zeppelin/beauty/

pretty much everything. if you don't mind 320 bitrate and lossy format. which i do. but it will give you a listen and the opportunity to download pretty much everything and figure out which releases sound the best.

i have that site bookmarked as "zeppelin streams" haha

select a year, click on the release to the right of the date, and it has mp3. of everything pretty much, once again.

Seeing how the 40th anniversary of the great September 14, 1971 Berkeley show just passed, and having recently listened to my Going to California double-album bootleg, I was wondering if the guy who taped this show is still alive?

Has anyone ever tracked him down? I have lots of questions for him and I am also curious if he doesn't wake up every day slapping his face and saying "Why did I throw those tapes in the ocean?"

Provided that story is true, of course.

Archived