Stairway To Heaven by Richard Cole

tenyearsgone1

Incase anyone is unaware, Stairway to Heaven is a book written by Led Zeppelin's Tour Manager Richard Cole. The main reason for this post is because I recently finished reading it, and it needs tremendous credit. Maybe it was because it was written from an insiders perspective and has incredible detail, but I would say that it is one of the greatest tell-all Zeppelin biographies out there. The book begins by discussing the break-up of The Yardbirds and it individually address every member of the band. It covers the beginning of Zeppelin in '68 to its break-up in '80. If anyone has read this book, which I am sure many of you have, I would love to hear your opinions on the book and if you know of any other great Led Zeppelin biographies.

Much appreciated.

Incase anyone is unaware, Stairway to Heaven is a book written by Led Zeppelin's Tour Manager Richard Cole. The main reason for this post is because I recently finished reading it, and it needs tremendous credit. Maybe it was because it was written from an insiders perspective and has incredible detail, but I would say that it is one of the greatest tell-all Zeppelin biographies out there. The book begins by discussing the break-up of The Yardbirds and it individually address every member of the band. It covers the beginning of Zeppelin in '68 to its break-up in '80. If anyone has read this book, which I am sure many of you have, I would love to hear your opinions on the book and if you know of any other great Led Zeppelin biographies.

Much appreciated.

Richard Cole was a primary source of the stories and anecdotes published in Stephen Davis' Led Zeppelin biography 'Hammer of the Gods' (1985). It seems to me Richard simply expanded upon what he had already shared with Davis

for his own book, 'Stairway to Heaven', published in 1992. I find both entertaining but each is filled with inaccuracies.

As for other Led Zeppelin books they've been discussed extensively in this forum before and those threads can be found using the search function.

Richard Cole was a primary source of the stories and anecdotes published in Stephen Davis' Led Zeppelin biography 'Hammer of the Gods' (1985). It seems to me Richard simply expanded upon what he had already shared with Davis

for his own book, 'Stairway to Heaven', published in 1992. I find both entertaining but each is filled with inaccuracies.

As for other Led Zeppelin books they've been discussed extensively in this forum before and those threads can be found using the search function.

Thank you, sorry I only just started here and wasn't aware.

off topic but i wish they will make a Led Zeppelin biopic movie a long time ago i was at imbd.com someone said they heard it might be a LZ movie but knowing me i'm too guillable lol actually i hardly doubt it. I mean Jimmy wouldn't want a movie based on his life and career and his ups and downs to turn it as a biopic movie. To be honest i wish someone in Hollywood will make a Zeppelin movie but yet it's best they don't.

Thank you, sorry I only just started here and wasn't aware.

No need to apologize. I fully realize you are just starting out so I thought I'd mention the search function. This topic of interest - Led Zeppelin books - has been discussed extensively in the past. You may find you'll want to make posts to those threads.

You'll find that many here are quick to slag off Richard Cole and the books he contributed to - Hammer of the Gods and Stairway To Heaven. On the other hand, I'm inclined to believe most of what is said in those books, not only because it seems pretty believable to me, but also because if the band's road manager is not a credible insider source of what happened, then no one is.

off topic but i wish they will make a Led Zeppelin biopic movie a long time ago i was at imbd.com someone said they heard it might be a LZ movie but knowing me i'm too guillable lol actually i hardly doubt it. I mean Jimmy wouldn't want a movie based on his life and career and his ups and downs to turn it as a biopic movie. To be honest i wish someone in Hollywood will make a Zeppelin movie but yet it's best they don't.

In March 1996 Malcolm McLaren's plans to make a film on the life of the recently deceased Peter Grant were revealed in the UK press. Grant's family were not keen and intended to prevent it.

You'll find that many here are quick to slag off Richard Cole and the books he contributed to - Hammer of the Gods and Stairway To Heaven. On the other hand, I'm inclined to believe most of what is said in those books, not only because it seems pretty believable to me, but also because if the band's road manager is not a credible insider source of what happened, then no one is.

That is exactly why I find this biography to be the best, but there are certain instances where you just can't help but believe that it was made up. Especially when you consider the constant drug implications throughout the whole book.

The closest thing you'll get to a movie about Jimmy Page is already out there, and now he has his book out there.

Robert Plant definitely does not care to discuss anything behind the scenes regarding his life at that time, and who can blame him.

John Paul Jones is prob. the only one with the most potential to write a detailed story about the band and not care about Plant or Page's feelings about it, any more than they cared about his feelings excluding him from the band 15 years ago. I mean, they're in their early 60s, there's still time to write the life story. Pink Floyd's drummer wrote the authorized book on the band, and it had a lot of great photos in there. Nothing too controverial or hurtful, but definitely a lot of good anecdotes.

So far, no one's ex wife has written a book about any of them.

If there's a Led Zep movie, it'll suck without band involvement, and it'll be too neutered with band involvement.

There's only one guy who could direct a movie about Led Zep and get the music. Cameron Crowe. "Almost Famous" was partially based on LZ, but a composite of them, Allman Brothers, and other bands Crowe had interviewed.

Other than that, they could do something like "Across the Universe" or "I'm Not There" where other people do the songs and tell a story of sorts.

The closest thing you'll get to a movie about Jimmy Page is already out there, and now he has his book out there.

Robert Plant definitely does not care to discuss anything behind the scenes regarding his life at that time, and who can blame him.

John Paul Jones is prob. the only one with the most potential to write a detailed story about the band and not care about Plant or Page's feelings about it, any more than they cared about his feelings excluding him from the band 15 years ago. I mean, they're in their early 60s, there's still time to write the life story. Pink Floyd's drummer wrote the authorized book on the band, and it had a lot of great photos in there. Nothing too controverial or hurtful, but definitely a lot of good anecdotes.

If there's a Led Zep movie, it'll suck without band involvement, and it'll be too neutered with band involvement.

There's only one guy who could direct a movie about Led Zep and get the music. Cameron Crowe. "Almost Famous" was partially based on LZ, but a composite of them, Allman Brothers, and other bands Crowe had interviewed.

Other than that, they could do something like "Across the Universe" or "I'm Not There" where other people do the songs and tell a story of sorts.

I think there will be a decent LZ movie once they're all gone. Unfortunately, I will probably be gone as well :D

And I really don't know if JPJ is as qualified as Richard Cole. After all, it's a known fact that Jones didn't always stay at the same hotel as the rest of them when they were touring. On the other hand, Cole was pretty much by their side around the clock. Of course, Cole has been known to sell his story for the $$. So who knows? Probably won't happen anytime soon.

And face it, most people want to know about the debauchery that took place.

John Paul Jones is prob. the one with the most potential to write a detailed story about the band and not care about Plant or Page's feelings about it, any more than they cared about his feelings excluding him from the band 15 years ago. I mean, they're in their early 60s, there's still time to write the life story.

Just a few years ago JPJ said "life's too short to go looking for pictures of yourself". Insofar as Robert & Jimmy's ex-wives I wouldn't be surprised if the divorce settlements stipulate they cannot write tell-all books, not that they'd be inclined. Besides,

neither of Jimmy's ex wives even knew him during the Led Zeppelin era.

Just a few years ago JPJ said "life's too short to go looking for pictures of yourself". Insofar as Robert & Jimmy's ex-wives I wouldn't be surprised if the divorce settlements stipulate they cannot write tell-all books, not that they'd be inclined. Besides,

neither of Jimmy's ex wives even knew him during the Led Zeppelin era.

As far as I know,both Jimmy and Robert have still good realtionship with their ex-wives(not only because of divorce settlements)

As Jimmy says many times in interviews,he and his three wives are going well even today.

Recently I became friend with a lady who worked in rock scene. She knows Jimmy,Charlotte,Jimena and even Rick Hobbs well. What she says is the exactly I've imagined so far.

According to her,Charlotte was the best partner for Jimmy.''She was his one true love, and they belonged together.Charlotte really understood him, and his music and art and what it meant to him. They were equals and had much in commmon.''

As I supposed they split up because of his drug and drink troubles.But now they are really good friends.

If someone will write a book about Jimmy Page except for him I think nothing but Charlotte.She will not do though....

Well, he may have been misquoted. Did he not typically introduce Charlotte to others as "my lady" as opposed to "my wife"?

They didn't marry only legally,but he always called her and Scarlet 'my family' in LZ era.

They lived together as a family in Plumpton,the Tower and Old Mill House.

So I (but also others) recognize her first wife.

I hear sometimes there is a method of such an introduction in High Society too, for example the ambassador and his lady.

If you stick to the law our opinion will trace parallel lines forever :D

They didn't marry only legally,but he always called her and Scarlet 'my family' in LZ era. They lived together as a family in Plumpton, the Tower and Old Mill House. So I (but also others) recognize her first wife. I hear sometimes there is a method of such an introduction in High Society too, for example the ambassador and his lady.

If you stick to the law our opinion will trace parallel lines forever :D

They were a family unit and I suppose one could consider Charlotte to have been his common-law wife or equivalent...or not.

Archived