Thee Soul & Rhythm and Blues Thread

Swede

Everybody Get Up

...miss this music sometimes, the club scene in Dallas was fantastic in '82

Yes, agree with you. Hearing Teena Marie reminded me of 2 more, same era and same great dance vibe. Time to get out the dancing shoes, lol.

SOS Band "Just Be Good to Me"

My favorite dance club number, Mtume, "Juicy Fruit"

Edited for poor spelling as usual!

ally I've never heard The Floaters before, very nice! I've always loved the Delfonics. There is another doo-wop band new to me a couple posts up, The Olympics. When I think of doo-wop, the song that always pops in my head first is the classic by The Flamingos. Really, does doo-wop get any better than this? (It may, but boy this sure is a timeless song, imo).

The original by The Flamingos, 1959.

ally I've never heard The Floaters before, very nice! I've always loved the Delfonics. There is another doo-wop band new to me a couple posts up, The Olympics. When I think of doo-wop, the song that always pops in my head first is the classic by The Flamingos. Really, does doo-wop get any better than this? (It may, but boy this sure is a timeless song, imo).

The original by The Flamingos, 1959.

One of my all time favorites ! I'm having visions of an old girlfriend and I parked somewhere watching the submarine races :lol:

^^^ Another good one from Tower of Power. I can't get over how this band did not have a bigger following in the USA? I think they sound similar and as good as Earth, Wind and Fire. I searched the charts for Top Soul songs of the 1970's and found this one Tower of Power song on the Top 100 SoulTracks (dot) com. Anyone else remember it?

I'm pretty sure most will know this EW&F song. A beautiful love song that stands the test of time, imo. Missy :)

^^^ Another good one from Tower of Power. I can't get over how this band did not have a bigger following in the USA? I think they sound similar and as good as Earth, Wind and Fire. I searched the charts for Top Soul songs of the 1970's and found this one Tower of Power song on the Top 100 SoulTracks (dot) com. Anyone else remember it?

Back in the day TOP found most of their success almost exclusively on the west coast . "Your Still A Young Man" and " Don't Change Horses.. In The Middle Of A Stream" were the only two songs that received any mainstream radio air play.

That would explain it. We missed out on some fine music then.

I don't think there has been any music by The Commodores posted yet. While I personally didn't listen to them much, they have 2 songs I'll always remember.

This one for saying "Get out and Dance"

And this one for saying "Goodbye"

Only singer Alan Gorrie and Oly McIntyre left from the original line up but this incarnation of AWB still sounds great !

A very nice version of one of their old classics

• 3 months later...

Hiya Missy :wave: . Keepin' with the Stevie Wonder theme ..I Wish

http://youtu.be/-5rIA-lw1a8

Hi to you too ally. :wave: I think there should be a Stevie Wonder thread, but since there isn't...think it would be okay to post a couple more songs for his birthday week? I wonder if some would be surprised at how versatile Stevie can be.

He has his great Funk songs like this 70's gem....

Then of course his many Pop Hits like the great Sir Duke....

But my favorites are his romantic, jazzy, longer songs...not as commercial, but oh so good, like Another Star..... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuHgs8aHFJ4

• 3 months later...

Today with the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks (along with the senseless killing going on in Syria), this great Stevie Wonder song keeps running through my mind. Timeless.

Good morn or evening friends
Here's your friendly announcer
I have serious news to pass on to every-body
What I'm about to say
Could mean the world's disaster
Could change your joy and laughter to tears and pain

It's that
Love's in need of love today
Don't delay
Send yours in right away
Hate's goin' round
Breaking many hearts
Stop it please
Before it's gone too far

The force of evil plans
To make you its possession
And it will if we let it
Destroy ev-er-y-body
We all must take
Precautionary measures
If love and please you treasure
Then you'll hear me when I say

Oh that
Love's in need of love today
love's in need of love today
Don't delay
don't delay
Send yours in right away
right a-way
Hate's goin' round
hate's goin' round
Breaking many hearts
break-ing hearts
Stop it please
stop it please
Before it's gone too far
gone too far....

Did you ever think that love would be in need of love today? (Stevie Wonder)

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up on soul music and love it. From Motown girl groups like The Supremes and The Marvelettes to Philadelphia-based artists like Billy Paul and Teddy Pendergast. A few of my favorite songs in this genre:

6:13 the dells - stay in my corner - YouTube Doo-wop at its finest with the late, great Marvin Junior singing the lead.

Gladys Knight ~ " If I Were Your Woman " W/Lyrics ~ 1970 - Video ...

One of the best songs about unrequited loved, imo.

This song launched a radio format. Smokey kicked ass with this one.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

thanks for this topic its a an absolutely need topic I`ve enjoyed soul & rhythum and blues music at about the same time I started finding my own music, other than my fathers music, this was at `73 when I first heard Zeppelin at the same time I was given a listening lesson of classic soul/r&b. which was music by

Aretha Franklin. Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Carla & Rufus Thomas, Booker T. & the Mgs, Sam & Dave, Eddie Floyd, William Bell, Little Milton, Isaac Hayes,

Albert King and many more musicians. there are some others whom should be listed here which have given me some amazing spiritual, phsical, vibrant and romantic pleasurable listening JOURNEY. its the music which makes me feel like dancing around the room... wonder how I`ve left off ... :peace::friends::bubble:

Aerosmith covered Walkin` The Dog & Mother Popcron

there are load`s of other great rock & roll bands whom cover soul/r&b in there set lists... :bubble::peace:

Archived