The one Zep song you thought would have been more "famous"?

dpat

Was there a Zep tune, when you first heard it, thought to yourself, "Why isn't this song more popular?"

For me, it would have to be "The Wanton Song." I'm sure there are others, but this one sticks out as one of their best that most casual fans never heard before.

Was there a Zep tune, when you first heard it, thought to yourself, "Why isn't this song more popular?"

For me, it would have to be "The Wanton Song." I'm sure there are others, but this one sticks out as one of their best that most casual fans never heard before.

"Four Sticks" "The Rain Song" "Tangerine" and "I'm Gonna Crawl" come to mind for me. I'm sure I could list more if i gave it more time.

I love all four songs and I still don't know how many "casual" fans and radio stations know of or play these songs.

There are quite a few Led Zeppelin songs I love that I never hear on the radio. But as far as songs that seem like they'd be relatively big hits, here's a few that don't seem to be overly popular to a casual audience:

Since I've Been Loving You

When The Levee Breaks

Bring It On Home

The Rover

The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair

Tangerine

The Song Remains The Same

Hey Hey What Can I Do

These aren't neccesarily my favorite tracks no one's heard of, but they seem like they should be well know hits.

I always thought that Sick Again should have been one of the more played tracks from PG. The first time I ever heard it, the radio station just happened to be playing the entire PG album (it was that Sunday night's feature album) and I'm thinking, hey this is a pretty good song- why haven't I heard it before? To this day, the only time I have heard Sick Again on "regular" radio has only been when they've played side 4 of PG or when they would do an "A to Z Zeppelin Weekend" type thing, never have heard it on it's own.

There are a number of them. I wish some of their songs would get more airplay. Including Achilles, Ten Years Gone and Rain Song. Although, TYG does get some decent airplay, but not what it deserves. But this could have to do with song length more than anything else. But, that didn't stop Stairway or Kashmir. Exceptions I guess.

The one that really stands out for me is "For Your Life". Just a great song and one of Jimmy's best solos. Number two solo in my book next to Achilles.

"The Rover" seems to be the most popular on this thread, anyway, and I agree. They did do the intro with it leading into another song in 1977, but I don't remember which other song, I just remember "The Rover" so I guess it over shadowed the other song.

Someone mentioned "Hey, Hey What Can I Do"......I think it was a pretty big hit for a b-side. I don't remember any other band having a b-side as popular as it. (I'm not counting numerous Beatles b-sides......I consider most of those singles as double a-sides.)

"The Rover" seems to be the most popular on this thread, anyway, and I agree. They did do the intro with it leading into another song in 1977, but I don't remember which other song, I just remember "The Rover" so I guess it over shadowed the other song.

Someone mentioned "Hey, Hey What Can I Do"......I think it was a pretty big hit for a b-side. I don't remember any other band having a b-side as popular as it. (I'm not counting numerous Beatles b-sides......I consider most of those singles as double a-sides.)

That would be Sick Again.

Whem The Levee Breaks. I think it's all but ignored compared to other songs on the same album.

Don't think "Levee" has been ignored, when you think about the legendary recording sessions at Headley Grange. The famous miking Jimmy did of Bonzo's drums etc. It's a focal point in "It Might Get Loud". And besides, "Levee" does get a lot of radio play. I hear it quite often.

Don't think "Levee" has been ignored, when you think about the legendary recording sessions at Headley Grange. The famous miking Jimmy did of Bonzo's drums etc. It's a focal point in "It Might Get Loud". And besides, "Levee" does get a lot of radio play. I hear it quite often.

I've never heard it on the radio. Then again, I think terrestrial radio sucks ass and never listen to it. However I do check the local classic rock station's online playlist every now and again to see what Zep songs they've aired in a 24-hour time span, and I've never seen it.

Also, in the context of other songs on the album, it's absolutely ignored. Nothing about the song is legendary or famous to casual listeners. It is to die-hard fans who know about those things and read articles where they are mentioned, but when I'm talking about songs that could have been more "famous", I'm talking about songs that even casual listeners will know everything about.

Whem The Levee Breaks. I think it's all but ignored compared to other songs on the same album.

The drum intro is one of the most sampled pieces of music in history. Hardly ignored, IMO, and off that album I would say "Four Sticks" gets the least airplay based on my experience of living in different parts of the country.

My submissions for this thread would be "The Rover" and "Hots On For Nowhere."

Archived