No Quarter live

Misfit

• 1 month later...

How many times in '77 did Zep play Nutrocker in the middle of No Quarter?

When was the first time in '77?

When was the last time (guessing sometime during the 2nd leg, before LA and San Diego; don't think they played it in the 3rd leg, although we don't have a Tempe recording)

I think the last time was June 7th in New York.

How many times in '77 did Zep play Nutrocker in the middle of No Quarter?

When was the first time in '77?

When was the last time (guessing sometime during the 2nd leg, before LA and San Diego; don't think they played it in the 3rd leg, although we don't have a Tempe recording)

As far as we know based on the recordings, the "Nutrocker" was played:

Louisville, 25 April

Cleveland, 28 April (best version, IMO)

Fort Worth, 22 May

New York, 7 June

I would not be surprised if it was played at least a time or two more than that. As a matter of fact I wouldn't be shocked to find out if it was played on opening night in Dallas- Page and Bonham actually wanted to make the "Nutrocker" a permanent fixture of "No Quarter" in '77 (presumably this was discussed in pre-tour rehearsals) but Jonesy wanted to keep the "boogie section" improvs varied, hence the half dozen or so variations they played as the pre-guitar solo jam over the course of the tour.

• 1 month later...

The first performance of No Quarter was Tampa May 5, 1973. You got a mislabeled bootleg, the only hard copy bootleg I have is also mislabeled, says Out On The Tiles London January 9, 1970 (but is actually LA Forum September 4, 1970). Silly bootleggers lol.

Favorite No Quarter,

1) Vancouver 3/19/1975

2) Vancouver 3/20/1975

3) LA 6/23/1977

That's been it for quite some time now, but I'm sure it will change sooner or later.

I see others answered your question (correctly) in another thread, I skipped Atlanta May 4, 1973. Please excuse me.

Thanks for the reply. Some how i posted the wrong date. It is The Tampa show, i have th ebootleg pigeon blood. and i agreee with you about the vancouver version on the 20th that one is so good! Jimmy's guitar is just out of this world!

• 5 months later...

27.4.77 is my favourite NQ. The opening and closing vocals are superbly delivered and the jams never waffle or become indulgent or stagnant. The whole thing moves very nicely through a variety of stages and moods and the interplay between the 3 is stunning. That damned cut though!

I just found this forum while looking up some Over the Hills stuff. I had to sign up because after reading this thread because I needed to talk about a very special version of this song. Sure...I also love the LA in 77 versions BUT no version compares to the Melancholy Danish Pageboys Get It On version.  Copenhagen, July 7, 1979

Not only is it the best version of that song, I think it is the best live version of ANY song they or anyone else has ever done. Of course I haven't heard everything but I would be shocked if someone could find a song that compares. All 4 of them are on the money and luckily the sound quality is also very good for a boot. ENJOY!

Unfortunately the only YouTube version is split into 2 parts...Listen for the sneeze right at the beginning...it's hilarious:)

A version that never gets much love is 21/5/77.  Although this may have something to do with 'The Dragon Snake' being one of my first '77 shows. The guitar solo jam is pretty damn good imo, multiple crescendos.

On 2/1/2016 at 10:02 PM, renounce said:

27.4.77 is my favourite NQ. The opening and closing vocals are superbly delivered and the jams never waffle or become indulgent or stagnant. The whole thing moves very nicely through a variety of stages and moods and the interplay between the 3 is stunning. That damned cut though!

Indeed. I'd imagine the "Boogie Section" they played on April 27 was probably like Atlanta's. Still, Page's big solo on the night ain't bad- a little bit 'lazy' sounding in spots, but a good lazy.

4 hours ago, tom kid said:

A version that never gets much love is 21/5/77.  Although this may have something to do with 'The Dragon Snake' being one of my first '77 shows. The guitar solo jam is pretty damn good imo, multiple crescendos.

The Houston version (which I actually haven't heard in a couple of years, probably) is very much like the Birmingham version- right down to the Boogie Section.

9 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Indeed. I'd imagine the "Boogie Section" they played on April 27 was probably like Atlanta's. Still, Page's big solo on the night ain't bad- a little bit 'lazy' sounding in spots, but a good lazy.

Right. 'Laid back' I'd call it. Love that really long bent note from Page shortly after his entry. To my ears he never actually 'fails' once during this solo, which is a rarity. It is an eloquent and fluid jam all round.

Destroyer was my first '77 boot, a dodgy cassette copy from a record fair in the 80's. Played it to death and totally fell for this NQ. Never found any other version that quite compares to it. In fact I love the whole show and don't quite understand its poor standing amongst the Zep community.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Melissa Amber Layton said:

6-13-1977 - MSG which John Paul Jones performs a boogie woogie during the lounge jam section.

Jonesy started performing that "Boogie Woogie" variation in the "Lounge Jam" section at the May 28 Landover show...probably the best version IMO is June 22 LA (despite the mediocre sound quality on the recording)

^ I've always thought that the  22/06 show would rate above the 21/06 if we had it in similar quality, it absolutely smokes. Best version of IMTOD they ever did imo, the intensity of it is just on another level. SIBLY is also amazing, if I'm not mistaken this is the show where Robert says 'Jimmy Page's trousers are falling down!'. Always got a chuckle out of me.

Might need to dig this show out after work and give it a listen...

10 hours ago, tom kid said:

^ I've always thought that the  22/06 show would rate above the 21/06 if we had it in similar quality, it absolutely smokes. Best version of IMTOD they ever did imo, the intensity of it is just on another level. SIBLY is also amazing, if I'm not mistaken this is the show where Robert says 'Jimmy Page's trousers are falling down!'. Always got a chuckle out of me.

Might need to dig this show out after work and give it a listen...

No question about it, if Mike Millard had been on hand to tape the June 22 show it'd be spoken about in the same breath as "Eddie" and "Badgeholders" and purely on a performance level could easily surpass them both. It's the one L.A. '77 show where a soundboard recording would be absolutely essential.

The last 2 days I've been enjoying No Quarter from St Louis February 16, 1975. Bonzo's drumming subtly becomes it's own living breathing entity. I'd love to hear a audience/SB hybrid of that show. The only recording I've run across is the SB.

On 2/18/2016 at 5:16 PM, zepscoda said:

The last 2 days I've been enjoying No Quarter from St Louis February 16, 1975. Bonzo's drumming subtly becomes it's own living breathing entity. I'd love to hear a audience/SB hybrid of that show. The only recording I've run across is the SB.

There's an audience tape as well...I've got it around here somewhere. It ain't bad. Gives me hope that a decent sounding St Louis '77 recording exists.

• 5 months later...

The 77 versions of NQ are too bloated and stray too far from the vibe of the song for my taste.  77 was the self indulgence tour for sure, No Quarter, Jimmy's noise solo, Bonzo's Over The Top .  Bloated!!  While I appreciate Jonesy's keyboard talent, he's no Herbie Hancock. Page is also painfully meandering and repetitive and the long boogie stretches with Nutrocker and Concierto de Aranjuez etc go way adrift of the moody bad ass tone of the song and sound silly to me. The 73 versions are my favorites, especially TSRTS LP version, Seattle and Salt Lake. Some good ones from 75 too, but I prefer the Rhodes, not the cheesy "grand piano" sound. 

P.S. , I'm not a hater, just opinionated.  ( Aren't we all?) ;)

Yeah I'd agree the 77 versions don't hold together as well as some of the earlier ones but still I find the vast majority of the different sections within them very enjoyable although I'd agree the bar room blues section does often carry on too long.

Relating JPJ to jazzr piano/keyboard players I would say he has much more in common with Keith Jarrett than he does Herbie Hancock,. The latter 75 versions of NQ especially for me sound very like Jarrett's 70's solo piano concerts with the mix of atmospheric jazz, classical and RnB to the degree I wonder whether they were not a significant influence on Jones. The 77 versions I spose aren't so similar to Jarrett with more of a grand classical focus although I don't think this is quite as effective as in 75.

As I said in the other thread I enjoy the 73 versions and Page's soloing is the most influent on them but despite being shorter than what came afterwards I actually find them more meandering as theres much less structure to the solo section, in the latter 75 versions JPJ is adding a lot more on piano even during Page's soloing helping to build up tension as the solo progresses.

8 hours ago, greenman said:

Yeah I'd agree the 77 versions don't hold together as well as some of the earlier ones but still I find the vast majority of the different sections within them very enjoyable although I'd agree the bar room blues section does often carry on too long.

Relating JPJ to jazzr piano/keyboard players I would say he has much more in common with Keith Jarrett than he does Herbie Hancock,. The latter 75 versions of NQ especially for me sound very like Jarrett's 70's solo piano concerts with the mix of atmospheric jazz, classical and RnB to the degree I wonder whether they were not a significant influence on Jones. The 77 versions I spose aren't so similar to Jarrett with more of a grand classical focus although I don't think this is quite as effective as in 75.

As I said in the other thread I enjoy the 73 versions and Page's soloing is the most influent on them but despite being shorter than what came afterwards I actually find them more meandering as theres much less structure to the solo section, in the latter 75 versions JPJ is adding a lot more on piano even during Page's soloing helping to build up tension as the solo progresses.

Been listening to Bootleg Zeppelin for 35 years I agree 77 is different but I will put No Quarter from 06-23-77 up against any other no Quarter. Not that it beats any of them but it is just as good as any of them.

Everything works in this version, from the incredible Theremin Blossom all the way down to the Dogs Of Doom Are Howlin More 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:16 PM, zepscoda said:

I find myself listening to this version more and more, it's a very impressive performance.

Archived