What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

40 years ago today...

February 19, 1972 Adelaide, Australia.

I'm actually going to try an A-B-C comparison of the three versions I have on cd.

A. "Oooh My Head!" TDOLZ

B. "Thunder Down Under" Equinox box set of 1972 Australian tour

C. "Adelaide Revival" Godfatherecords

Edited by Strider

Achilles' Last Stand 4/30/77. Undoubtedly best version of the whole tour!

I have doubts about that.

February 28, 1975 L.S.U., Baton Rouge, Louisiana

EVSD's "Rampaging Cajun"

Second leg of the '75 tour...Jones breaks out the piano for No Quarter...easily one of the great shows of the tour...the soundboard is clean and sharp, well-balanced and you also can hear the audience, unlike the 73 and 77 sbds.

Why do the 75 soundboards sound so much better than the 73 and 77 boards? Did they use a different rig?

Just finished disc 2...wonderful No Quarter and Trampled...and I even listened to all of Moby Dick. Now on to disc 3.

Deborah, I am thinking of you at this show. ;)

Edited by Strider

I have doubts about that.

February 28, 1975 L.S.U., Baton Rouge, Louisiana

EVSD's "Rampaging Cajun"

Second leg of the '75 tour...Jones breaks out the piano for No Quarter...easily one of the great shows of the tour...the soundboard is clean and sharp, well-balanced and you also can hear the audience, unlike the 73 and 77 sbds.

Why do the 75 soundboards sound so much better than the 73 and 77 boards? Did they use a different rig?

Just finished disc 2...wonderful No Quarter and Trampled...and I even listened to all of Moby Dick. Now on to disc 3.

Deborah, I am thinking of you at this show. ;)

What's your favorite version from '77 then? Let me guess, 4/27, 4/28, 6/21, 6/23, 5/30, 6/7, or 5/21? Edited by bamf4k

What's your favorite version from '77 then? Let me guess, 4/27, 4/28, 6/21, 6/23, 5/30, 6/7, or 5/21?

The ones I saw, natch! :)

6.21, 23, 25-27. In my mind's eye they were all FANTASTIC!!! A savage and epic rampage of white light and white heat. This wasn't some prissy shit like Kansas or Styx. Achilles Last Stand was brutal, raw, yet still full of grace and beauty. It was Punk-Prog decades before it was even a genre.

It's instructive to note that ALS live was around 9 minutes; almost 2 minutes faster than the album version; it's as if the band was shot out of a cannon following the longueur of the solo section of the concert.

ALS was our reward for enduring the drum and guitar/noise solos. ;)

In hindsight, as I listen to the bootlegs, you can hear slight differences in performance quality, so I tend to favour the 6.21 or 6.23 for my listening pleasure.

But in my memory, every single one of those 5 Achilles Last Stand performances was true Hammer of the Gods AWESOME!!!

Edited by Strider