What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

Long Beach March 12 1975. The band is vicious !!!! I love the 75 shows when the band is on which was rare due to Robert flu and voice issues. However, this show along with Montreal demonstrates that Jimmy was still lightening fast in 1975 .  Also Robert is fantastic here . I love when he gets bluesy in DAC and throws in extra lines and also hesitates and sings behind Pagey chord changes. He makes the verses drag which just adds to the tension and feel. Nobody and I mean No band was doing it like this and hanging it out there pass or fail and very often of times they did fail. When they are on like this night it is pure magic. 

To my ears, the show really starts cooking with Misty Mountain Hop (Robert is getting warmed up). Jones is great on No Quarter, and The Song Remains The Same may be even better than the one on the album of the same name. Haven't listened before, on Rain Song now. Overall, Bonzo sounds more enlivened than on the album.

This is a "matrix" show (blending of soundboard and audience recording together simultaneously), so it really does have a nice warmth as well as clarity. Especially after the first few songs, when their sound guy finds the right mix. Kudos to whoever made this. A great alternative listen for TSRTS-era live Zeppelin.

ALB

Edited by AchillesLastBand

5 hours ago, AchillesLastBand said:

To my ears, the show really starts cooking with Misty Mountain Hop (Robert is getting warmed up). Jones is great on No Quarter, and The Song Remains The Same may be even better than the one on the album of the same name. Haven't listened before, on Rain Song now. Overall, Bonzo sounds more enlivened than on the album.

This is a "matrix" show (blending of soundboard and audience recording together simultaneously), so it really does have a nice warmth as well as clarity. Especially after the first few songs, when their sound guy finds the right mix. Kudos to whoever made this. A great alternative listen for TSRTS-era live Zeppelin.

ALB

One of the best '73 shows!  You're in for a treat with the rest of the show too!  And I'd agree with you, first 3-4 songs are a bit slow, but after that, it's killer.

July 21, 1973 - Providence, RI -- Probably my favourite show of '73.  Obviously a soundboard would be amazing, but the sound quality isn't even that bad, especially after the taper moves to a different location during "The Song Remains The Same".  The bigger issue with the tape, to me, is the cuts (small one in "The Rain Song," much larger ones in "Dazed And Confused," "Moby Dick" & "Whole Lotta Love").

Basically every song is a highlight, but the song of the night is "No Quarter" in my opinion.  Easily one of the best versions, and my personal favourite of the shorter ones.

In honor of the show's 45th anniversary, I'm listening to Baltimore 7/23/73 in full for the first time. I'm only up to Black Dog so far, but MAN is Robert killing it here! This is the best I've heard from him for 1973. Damn shame about the sound quality, but at least we have this great show on tape. Thanks again to my friend who was kind enough to give me a link for this show...you know who you are. :)