What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

12 hours ago, Strider said:

Absolute corker. Boston and Providence are the best consecutive gigs of the 1973 U.S. tour. I always felt like the first leg was still under development. Jimmy hadn't quite developed the solos in "Celebration Day" and "No Quarter" to their full potential.

And Baltimore is pretty great too--too bad about the recording!  I always hesitate when I say Providence is my favourite of the entire year, because it's a bit tough to compare the U.S. shows with the European ones (I don't listen to the UK ones much).  It would be interesting to do a best-of compilation of both Europe '73 and North America '73 and face them off against each other...

17 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

And Baltimore is pretty great too--too bad about the recording!  I always hesitate when I say Providence is my favourite of the entire year, because it's a bit tough to compare the U.S. shows with the European ones (I don't listen to the UK ones much).  It would be interesting to do a best-of compilation of both Europe '73 and North America '73 and face them off against each other...

Didn't Joe Massot film Baltimore to prepare his crew for the MSG concerts? Could there be some footage of 1973 Baltimore lying around in a film canister somewhere?

July 23, 1973 Baltimore. You definitely need "bootleg ears" for this one. It sounds like the kids who taped this were swinging the microphone like a lariat. There is a strange reverse-polarity to the sound...as if the mic was recording the echo of Jimmy's guitar before the actual sound. But the band's performance is stellar, so it is worth enduring the subpar recording. The comments at the end are a hoot, too.

Edited by Strider

17 hours ago, Strider said:

Didn't Joe Massot film Baltimore to prepare his crew for the MSG concerts? Could there be some footage of 1973 Baltimore lying around in a film canister somewhere?

Yes, I've heard that as well!  That would be spectacular!

After all these years I still do not understand why this was not in the movie.  There appears to be very little if any Shepperton footage.  I understand it was not a "hit" like Black Dog, but they left Black Dog off the soundtrack album and included it in the movie.

3 hours ago, John M said:

After all these years I still do not understand why this was not in the movie.  There appears to be very little if any Shepperton footage.  I understand it was not a "hit" like Black Dog, but they left Black Dog off the soundtrack album and included it in the movie.

Curious indeed...there are a lot of curious things about that album/film, the most egregious omission being the cut in NQ on all versions except the original album.  It's such a shame that they only captured/chose to use the MSG shows...if they had started recorded from Seattle to the end, or even from Providence to the end, the result likely would have been the greatest live album ever made.  It probably wouldn't even take that many shows--if Providence was your baseline, and you just used one or both of the shows on either side of it, Boston and Baltimore, to patch the few slight issues with Providence (Jones getting a bit lost in Rock And Roll, Page cutting OTHAFA short because of the crowd), you'd be all set.

It sure is nice to hear the cymbals in such clarity--they suffer the most on non-multi-track sources IMO.

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Hi Strider. Is this Moonchild version the Winston remaster? 

It is. Moonchild are noted for selling Winstons. It goes against Winston's request to not sell them, but at the same time I'd rather have a Winston boot if I'm buying and they're seemingly well done transfers.

6 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Hi Strider. Is this Moonchild version the Winston remaster? 

Yes. I also have Moonchild's Winston Remasters of Blueberry Hill, For Badgeholders Only, and others. I want my bootlegs in physical form...either vinyl or cds...as that is how I prefer to listen to them. I don't want or need a bunch of computer files taking up space and possibly spreading viruses.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Yes. I also have Moonchild's Winston Remasters of Blueberry Hill, For Badgeholders Only, and others. I want my bootlegs in physical form...either vinyl or cds...as that is how I prefer to listen to them. I don't want or need a bunch of computer files taking up space and possibly spreading viruses.

I am somewhat surprised by the variations in soundquality of these Moonchild Winston Remasters. Some of them are very good, like the above mentioned Good Night Vienna, For Badgeholders Only, LTTE.....

Others, such as Seattle Supersonic 73, Berdu 72, Blueberry Hill and Let´s Get Together RAH70, are by no means of the best quality.

Astounding.

2 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

I am somewhat surprised by the variations in soundquality of these Moonchild Winston Remasters. Some of them are very good, like the above mentioned Good Night Vienna, For Badgeholders Only, LTTE.....

Others, such as Seattle Supersonic 73, Berdu 72, Blueberry Hill and Let´s Get Together RAH70, are by no means of the best quality.

Astounding.

I have noticed that, too. Frankly, none of the cd versions of "For Badgeholders Only" I have acquired over the years have ever sounded as good as my original Dragonfly vinyl.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

I have noticed that, too. Frankly, none of the cd versions of "For Badgeholders Only" I have acquired over the years have ever sounded as good as my original Dragonfly vinyl.

Have you ever gotten your hands on Sgt. Page's Badgeholders Club Band?  That's the title I have, and I heard it's one of the better ones...?

In Led Zeppelin Boots we trust.  What a compilation, and a flac download link is included in the YouTube posting,.  For my money this is the best sounding live recording of Led Zeppelin or anyone else I have ever heard.  The tone, the balance, the bass, the drums, the power, the clarity, the separation.  Of course this is patched from different sources.  To me the absolute best sounding version is the DVD.

I also think that overall this is Plant at his peak.  The full range is there with all the power. 

Hats off to Led Zeppelin Boots !

15 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Have you ever gotten your hands on Sgt. Page's Badgeholders Club Band?  That's the title I have, and I heard it's one of the better ones...?

Yes, I had that. Then I got the Genuine Masters DVD-A version, which I thought sounded a little better. I had around 50 Zep shows on archival discs (in FLAC mode I think) that included the Sgt. Page's Badgeholders Club Band. I sent them to Sue Dounim for her to play around with...maybe improve the sound of she could.