What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

No Quarter, 1973 TSRTS, MSG. I have a couple other versions that are much longer and love those with the extended playing of JPJ. However, I always seem to gravitate back to this one. It maybe shorter in length, but the band is so incredibly in sync. Love Robert's singing here and Jimmy? Please...on fire. John Bonham's thunderous playing drives this version like no other, imo. And JPJ? Well what can you say about perfection? Anyone else see those things too?

Good stuff! :)..... missy

No Quarter, 1973 TSRTS, MSG. I have a couple other versions that are much longer and love those with the extended playing of JPJ. However, I always seem to gravitate back to this one. It maybe shorter in length, but the band is so incredibly in sync. Love Robert's singing here and Jimmy? Please...on fire. John Bonham's thunderous playing drives this version like no other, imo. And JPJ? Well what can you say about perfection? Anyone else see those things too?

Good stuff! :)..... missy

Agreed, it's perfect. I've never heard a version of No Quarter from the '73 tour that doesn't blow me away.

For example:

San Francisco 4/27/69. (I only have about ten live shows, so it's slim pickin's for me.)

Hi John, "only have about ten live shows", you say? Uh, that's pretty impressive! :) I only have 3, but they are great ones, Earls Ct '75, Seattle '77, and Knebworth '79. Currently I am playing this clip from the August 4, 1979 show, Ten Years Gone. One of their best performances of the song I believe, and only performed on the first of the 2 Knebworth concert events.

6/21/77 Inglewood LA Forum arrived today. I had never heard it. I'm now in the middle. All I can say is that it lives up to the hype I'd heard about. Wow! No Quarter has been my highlight thus far.

Robert is amazing on Black Country Woman!

I like at the start of the acoustic set when he motions Bonzo to the front of the stage and calls him "Rhinestone Cowgirl." Classic stuff right there! It's probably old hat to you guys, but this is my first time hearing it.

^^^You two are so cute...such good friends, so simpatico that you even listen to the same show at the same time. :thumbsup:

6/21/77 Inglewood LA Forum arrived today. I had never heard it. I'm now in the middle. All I can say is that it lives up to the hype I'd heard about. Wow! No Quarter has been my highlight thus far.

Robert is amazing on Black Country Woman!

I like at the start of the acoustic set when he motions Bonzo to the front of the stage and calls him "Rhinestone Cowgirl." Classic stuff right there! It's probably old hat to you guys, but this is my first time hearing it.

Congrats on finally getting to hear this great concert, john. Might I ask which version you're listening to? Some versions are incomplete, missing Plant's comment, "I'm just beginning to cook", and is the gap in Ten Years Gone filled with the second source, or not?

Shoot, I forgot to post the show I'm listening to now: "A Stroke in Stoke" January 15, 1973, Trentham Gardens, Stoke-on-Trent, U.K.

Haven't listen to this in ages...probably not in 10 years since I first got it. It's a curious show, a soundboard with Jimmy's guitar slighty in the background, overwhelmed by Bonham's drums, and the audience nearly non-existent.

But what a pleasure to hear Bonzo bash away on his drums with such force, such ultra-violence, that you swear he wants to murder them! OTHAFA, Misty Mountain Hop, and the song I'm on at the moment, The Song Remains the Same are just incredible.

Edited by Strider

Okay I'm on disc 2 now of the Stoke show: Dazed and Confused.

I had forgotten how discombobulated the first disc ends. For some crazy reason, after The Song Remains the Same, instead of going into the Rain Song, the next track is Whole Lotta Love(missing the opening moments). Then comes Rain Song, again missing the opening minute, and then Stairway to Heaven.

Dazed and Confused opens disc 2, and the other two tracks on the disc(Moby Dick and Heartbreaker/WLL) are from the July 13, 1973 Detroit show.

I can understand Dazed being too long to fit on disc 1 after Rain Song, but why put WLL BETWEEN The Song Remains the Same and Rain Song? Just tack it on after Stairway.

This is typical of the sloppiness you used to get with bootlegs in the old days...songs out of order, mismatched shows, etc. It's gotten much better lately, so thankfully, "A Stroke in Stoke" is more an anomaly now than the norm.

By the way, the Stoke Whole Lotta Love features one of those awesome funky breaks they would throw in during this period...better than any I've heard from the 1973 German shows. It was so good it made me forget how angry I was that the songs were out of order.

Very cool to read the enthusiasm of someone listening to what is probably my favorite show of all-time, for the first time! B)

If I need a "pick me up" in the morning, I just put on that show and away I go!! ;)

Congrats John1972 and welcome to the forum!

Edited by Walter

Been really inspired lately to listen to the 1980 concerts after reading Dave Lewis's book, Feather in the Wind - Over Europe 1980. Right now listening to the Frankfort concert from June 30. Really strong show!

Amazing to read that Zep hadn't performed Money since Seattle 1972! And Robert leading the band into Frankfurt Special, in the middle of Whole Lotta Love, he sounds so good...reminds me of him leading the band into Rip It Up by Little Richard, towards the end of In My Time Of Dying, on the 4th night of the LA run of shows in June 1977!

I'm at the LA Forum waiting for floor tix for the Foo Fighters(the Foo's have the Forum set up for general admission on the floor for their shows) to be released. While waiting, I'm listening to a show that I've finally managed to procure after all these years. In fact, both Miss Melanie and I picked one up amongst our other flea market purchases.

June 2, 1973 Kezar Stadium, SF "A Celebration For Being Who You Are" Godfatherecords

Finally, I can hear what I missed after I nearly lost it and blacked out that day.

^^^You two are so cute...such good friends, so simpatico that you even listen to the same show at the same time. :thumbsup:

Congrats on finally getting to hear this great concert, john. Might I ask which version you're listening to? Some versions are incomplete, missing Plant's comment, "I'm just beginning to cook", and is the gap in Ten Years Gone filled with the second source, or not?

Shoot, I forgot to post the show I'm listening to now: "A Stroke in Stoke" January 15, 1973, Trentham Gardens, Stoke-on-Trent, U.K.

Haven't listen to this in ages...probably not in 10 years since I first got it. It's a curious show, a soundboard with Jimmy's guitar slighty in the background, overwhelmed by Bonham's drums, and the audience nearly non-existent.

But what a pleasure to hear Bonzo bash away on his drums with such force, such ultra-violence, that you swear he wants to murder them! OTHAFA, Misty Mountain Hop, and the song I'm on at the moment, The Song Remains the Same are just incredible.

Trentham Gardens is just a few milles away from me. It's hard to believe that Zep' actually played in Stoke. No band would like that would play in Stoke today! :rolleyes:

Trentham Gardens is just a few milles away from me. It's hard to believe that Zep' actually played in Stoke. No band would like that would play in Stoke today! :rolleyes:

That's funny, as I was thinking exactly that while listening to the show...how close is Stoke to Magic?

Hi Strider. I definitely heard the second source insert on Ten Years Gone. I'm recalling from memory since I listened to the show yesterday, but I believe it was in the latter half of the song, almost at the end. As for the "cook" comment, I'm going to need to go back and check.

During Stairway to Heaven, Robert asks, "Does anyone remember forests?" That's a new one for me.

One of the main reasons I'm trying to gather live material is because of Robert's comments in between songs. Not to discount the epic prowess of the majestic music, but the guy is mighty entertaining just introducing the songs.....and occasionally poking fun at Bonzo.

"The Man who is holding up the show." :)

I don't know what version I have, but I'd like to know. I'll let you know about the "cook" comment tomorrow.

Hi Walter. Thanks for having me! I like it here. I wish it hadn't taken me so long.

^^^Speaking of Inglewood, it's just past midnight and the Foo Fighters concert at the Forum has just ended...a nearly 3-hour show. We're sitting in a snarl of traffic in the Forum parking lot now.

John, the comment Plant makes comes after SIBLY...somes versions I've got of "Listen to this, Eddie" cut this comment.

Plant's introduction of Bonzo at this show was the greatest ever...hilarious.

What a fantastic start to the summer of '77 the Forum concerts were!