What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

(Replying to Strider also)

SQ-wise, not too bad, if a somewhat overloaded throughout. An average 77 AUD, I'd say.

Performance-wise: I generally judge 77 shows by ALS, although I'd already formed my opinion long before ALS with this one. ALS here is a shocker, quite appalling really. But there were plenty of other wretched aspects before then. JP seemed out of tune for the first 3 songs, then he was all over the place in IMTOD. Bonzo too was really sloppy and slow in places as well. Things picked up a bit from NQ through the acoustic set, but TYG was pretty dire, then ALS was crap, as was the STH solo. JP hit more bum notes in this show than any I've heard before this point.

RP's not his usual talkative self here between songs, it's almost as if he's shaking his head in disbelief at how bad JP & Bonzo are. To cap it all, after ALS, he says something like, 'Uh, that was a song from Presence, called Achilles Last Stand' - as if to say it was so shit, even he couldn't recognise it.

Still, it could've been worse. It could've been a SBD.

Thanks for the warning...looks like I won't be needing that show. I'm not such a completist that I have to have every show, including shows I probably wouldn't ever listen to more than once.

Thanks for the warning...looks like I won't be needing that show. I'm not such a completist that I have to have every show, including shows I probably wouldn't ever listen to more than once.

Same here - thanks for the warning.

• 2 weeks later...

November 16, 1971 @ St. Mathew's Baths, Ipswich, England; TDOLZ Vol. 57

A concert I've never heard in my life...just picked this one up over the weekend. "Since I've Been Loving You" is playing now.

It's an audience tape with strange drop outs and tape stretches at times...sound quality is only fair. But so far the performance is typical 1971 high-quality standards.

Edited by Strider

I just finished listening to the first disc of the June 28th 1970 Bath concert. Good show so far, interesting to hear the early arrangements/lyrics of the new songs. Kind of gutsy to open with the Immigrant Song when the lyrics were not quite set in stone yet. Northstar.

Just finished disc 2 of 11.16.71 Ipswich.

It's a shame the taper ran out of tape before the end of the Whole Lotta Love medley...and the audience is one of those typical lifeless, ultra polite-clapping English ones of the period.

But, as usual, one of the highlights for me is Celebration Day. 1971 Celebration Days are a wonder to listen to. The combination of the hopped up rhythm Jones and Bonzo unleash and the trance-like effect Jimmy's playing the song on his doubleneck has makes the 1971 versions of CD devastating.

Playing right now: Bath 1970.

First time I've played this in almost a year. I'm not sure if Plant's uncertain of the lyrics to "Immigrant Song," just suffering from stage fright, or a combination of the two. Awful sound. This was considered an *upgrade*? Pheweeee! The first source must have really stinked!

Finished the second disc of the June 28, 1970 Bath show. Thats the second time now that I have listened to the Bath show and I really think its a good performance. Also had time to listen to the soundboard fragment from the Bradford St George's Hall show, January 18th, 1973....some real nice tight playing for sure. Northstar.

OK, being rather new to experiencing Zep live and everything, this question struck me while listening to "The Battle of Evermore" from the Forum show (21st June, 1977). I am curious to know who was doing the back up vocals for "The Battle of Evermore" at that show. I know that as far as the studio version is concerned, this song is a duet between Robert Plant and Sandy Denny. This question may seem a bit silly to some, but then again, I am rather new as far as experiencing Zep as a live band, is concerned. A response will be much appreciated! Thanks! :):peace:

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

6/21/77 Inglewood LA Forum arrived today. I had never heard it. I'm now in the middle. All I can say is that it lives up to the hype I'd heard about. Wow! No Quarter has been my highlight thus far.

Robert is amazing on Black Country Woman!

I like at the start of the acoustic set when he motions Bonzo to the front of the stage and calls him "Rhinestone Cowgirl." Classic stuff right there! It's probably old hat to you guys, but this is my first time hearing it.

Your post pretty much summed up exactly what I was experiencing all this time while listening to the Inglewood Forum Show today! :) It's like something I've never experienced before! Man! I really really love this show!! :wub:

OK, being rather new to experiencing Zep live and everything, this question struck me while listening to "The Battle of Evermore" from the Forum show (21st June, 1977). I am curious to know who was doing the back up vocals for "The Battle of Evermore" at that show. I know that as far as the studio version is concerned, this song is a duet between Robert Plant and Sandy Denny. This question may seem a bit silly to some, but then again, I am rather new as far as experiencing Zep as a live band, is concerned. A response will be much appreciated! Thanks! :):peace:

That would be John Paul Jones doing backup vocals.