What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

The uptempo version of No Quarter. I really wish this had made the HotH companion disc. Because it didn't, I remastered it just to see if it could sound better than the version we all know. It came out OK, but regardless of the sound, I really like the faster approach the band took with the song.

32 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Can't make this stuff up. In the middle of a dazed and confused jam. 

Another reason they're the best!

Well the title of the YT clip says it all: "theme from Shaft" Great soundtrack by soul legend Isaac Hayes to the 1971 blaxploitation movie "Shaft". (It was my very first single ...ever!)

You might know Ike from Southpark, he was responsible for the voice of Chef (and the notorious Chocolate Salty Balls hit)

Woohoo, first post. Been lurking on this site forever, finally had to join!

Today I felt the urge to dust off 5-22-77 "It'll be Zep". Haven't played it since last summer. The '77 tour is in my top five for Zep, probably in 5th place - I love the vibe and the middle third of the setlist is brilliant. 5-22-77 is hardly a spectacular show but it is the best we currently have for that whole tour sound wise, right? I have the Millard 6-21, 6-23, and 6-25 shows, as well as 4-27 and 5-30 of course, and I prefer the sound of 5-22, although I would love a matrix with the audience properly mixed in!

I'm taking a self imposed break from the Seattle '77 soundtrack remaster, so I have time to put the final touches on a remaster of the May 30, 1977 show. It's mostly done, but I'm still trying to decide on the balance between the high and low ends. I can use some constructive feedback (too much bass, not enough bass, I hate it because  it makes my ears bleed, etc.). If anyone feels like it, please send me a message and let me know what you think.

On February 16, 2018 at 12:16 PM, SteveZ98 said:

I'm taking a self imposed break from the Seattle '77 soundtrack remaster, so I have time to put the final touches on a remaster of the May 30, 1977 show. It's mostly done, but I'm still trying to decide on the balance between the high and low ends. I can use some constructive feedback (too much bass, not enough bass, I hate it because  it makes my ears bleed, etc.). If anyone feels like it, please send me a message and let me know what you think.

Well, that just kicked my ass...hard! 

8 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Well, that just kicked my ass...hard! 

Thanks. It's a really good show. The thing I love about the '77 soundboards is that you can hear the crowd react to the band coming on stage. I can just imagine what that was like. You get to the arena early because you don't want to miss a second of this experience, find your seats, talk with your buddies about how great the show is going to be. There's no opening act so you're stuck watching all the freaks walking around, maybe covertly lighting up something to make the show more enjoyable, listening  to whatever songs the soundboard guy feels like playing through the PA. You check your watch. The show was supposed to start at 8:00 PM. You've heard that Zep is always late, but you're still getting anxious for them to get started. Then the lights go down. The crowd roars. Bonzo gives a couple beats on his kick drum and they pound through your chest, then Jimmy hits a couple of test chords and you realize this is going to be brutally loud. Finally, you can see their silhouettes as they walk onto center stage. There they are, Led F@#$ing Zeppelin. You're on your feet. Everybody's going nuts. Jimmy starts The Song Remains The Same and it's on, three of the best hours of your life have just begun. Man, what I wouldn't give to have been able to experience that in person. 

Edited by SteveZ98
Spelling

4 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Thanks. It's a really good show. The thing I love about the '77 soundboards is that you can hear the crowd react to the band coming on stage. I can just imagine what that was like. You get to the arena early because you don't want to miss a second of this experience, find your seats, talk with your buddies about how great the show is going to be. There's no opening act and you're stuck watching all the freaks walking around, maybe covertly lighting up something to make the show more enjoyable, listening  to whatever songs the soundboard guy feels like playing through the PA. You check your watch. The show was supposed to start at 8:00 PM. You've heard that Zep is always late, but you're still getting anxious for them to get started. Then the lights go down. The crowd roars. Bonzo gives a couple beats on his kick drum and they pound through your chest, then Jimmy hits a couple of test cords and you realize this is going to be brutally loud. Finally, you can see their silhouettes as they walk onto center stage. There they are, Led F@#$ing Zeppelin. You're on your feet. Everybody's going nuts. Jimmy starts The Song Remains The Same and it's on, three of the best hours of your life have just begun. Man, what I wouldn't give to have been able to experience that in person. 

:goodpost: Exactly this.

4 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Thanks. It's a really good show. The thing I love about the '77 soundboards is that you can hear the crowd react to the band coming on stage. I can just imagine what that was like. You get to the arena early because you don't want to miss a second of this experience, find your seats, talk with your buddies about how great the show is going to be. There's no opening act and you're stuck watching all the freaks walking around, maybe covertly lighting up something to make the show more enjoyable, listening  to whatever songs the soundboard guy feels like playing through the PA. You check your watch. The show was supposed to start at 8:00 PM. You've heard that Zep is always late, but you're still getting anxious for them to get started. Then the lights go down. The crowd roars. Bonzo gives a couple beats on his kick drum and they pound through your chest, then Jimmy hits a couple of test cords and you realize this is going to be brutally loud. Finally, you can see their silhouettes as they walk onto center stage. There they are, Led F@#$ing Zeppelin. You're on your feet. Everybody's going nuts. Jimmy starts The Song Remains The Same and it's on, three of the best hours of your life have just begun. Man, what I wouldn't give to have been able to experience that in person. 

Some artists have included buildups on their live recordings.

Grand Funk Railroad did. I remember the great build up to Footstompin' Music from the 1975 Caught In The Act LP. I say LP, because in the weird world of CD releases, they lengthened a few songs, but... to do that, they cut short the lead up to "Footstompin' Music" to keep the release on one CD !!

From Wiki: The 2003 re-mastered version of this release has a total time of 79:08, and was squeezed down to one disc. The 2:47 "Introduction" is gone, but "T.N.U.C" and "Gimme Shelter" are lengthened. Audience interaction and applause is shortened throughout to compensate.

The crowd roar lead up to the 1977 Tampa Stadium show is legendary. (That show stopped short because of torrential rain. I guess the band didn't have a "wireless" option for their outdoor gigs in 1977... tsk tsk).

I remember well what happened in Houston in 1977 when the house lights went down. Most everyone on the floor, except for maybe the first 5 rows or so, stood... on their chairs... Quite a forest... for me to easily run through!!! Which is exactly what I did, after jumping down to the floor from the lodge seating area. I easily made my way all the way to the 3rd row back from the stage, in the center section, to an isle seat that hadn't been taken by it's rightful owner yet... A group of about 4 rich young groupies were sitting in front of me. For whatever reason, one of the young things was holding up sideways, toward the stage, the center fold of a Men's Magazine, Playboy perhaps.

The guitar sound coming off the stage monitors was beyond intense.

There's a feeling I get
When I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who standing looking

Edited by The Rover

February 16, 1975 - St. Louis -- A few days behind in my annual run through the '75 tour listening to some of the first and all of the second leg on or as close to the day they happened.  Oddly enough, my first time listening all the way through this show--on "Moby Dick" right now.  

Pretty solid show so far IMO--especially for Bonzo...man, was he ever on a roll at this point in the tour.  I picked up at 2/10 Landover this year, and was he ever cooking those last five shows of the first leg!  Of course, he picks up right where he left off at the start of the second leg in (presumably Houston), Baton Rouge, Ft. Worth & Dallas.  Whoever says that he was conservative in '75 is basing that solely off of Earls Court, and even that probably isn't entirely accurate.  Just listen to his fills in the last verse of "Heartbreaker" at the Landover show, and all throughout "Heartbreaker" at MSG two nights later--definitely closer to Europe '73 and U.S. '77 than to "playing it safe"!

Back to St. Louis...I had listened to the "No Quarter" from this show before, and it certainly deserves the praise it gets.  What I hadn't noticed on previous listens is that Jones really seems to be pushing the envelope in his solo and the ensuing jam, and I think it's no coincidence that this proved to be the last NQ without the grand piano; he/they probably felt that they had evolved it as far as they could with him staying on the Fender Rhodes the whole time.

"In My Time Of Dying" also stood out to me from this show, perhaps predictably for a show in the South :P

P.S.  How cool is it that from 2/10 Landover onward, we can now listen to the whole tour (save and except for the missing 2/27 Houston, 3/10 San Diego & 3/12 Long Beach) in soundboard or Millard-form?!

Edited by Bonzo_fan

14 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Back to St. Louis...I had listened to the "No Quarter" from this show before, and it certainly deserves the praise it gets.  What I hadn't noticed on previous listens is that Jones really seems to be pushing the envelope in his solo and the ensuing jam, and I think it's no coincidence that this proved to be the last NQ without the grand piano; he/they probably felt that they had evolved it as far as they could with him staying on the Fender Rhodes the whole time.

"In My Time Of Dying" also stood out to me from this show, perhaps predictably for a show in the South :P

P.S.  How cool is it that from 2/10 Landover onward, we can now listen to the whole tour (save and except for the missing 2/27 Houston, 3/10 San Diego & 3/12 Long Beach) in soundboard or Millard-form?!

Do we know where JPJ bought the piano from? Was it acquired during the 10 intermission days?

I'll join in for the second leg of the 1975 tour! Meanwhile, playing 9-23-71 today.

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82

13 minutes ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

Do we know where JPJ bought the piano from? Was it acquired during the 10 intermission days?

I'll join in for the second leg of the 1975 tour! Meanwhile, playing 9-23-71 today.

I have no idea.  That would be a question for one of the members more knowledgable than I...

That's another show I've never listened to all the way through, oddly enough...maybe I should join you!

3 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I have no idea.  That would be a question for one of the members more knowledgable than I...

That's another show I've never listened to all the way through, oddly enough...maybe I should join you!

Do it! The band sounds psyched to be giving the material to a brand new audience. Ironically, it begins with a hiccup - Immigrant Song is botched when Jimmy busts a string, no fast transition to Heartbreaker, but we do get some plantations while the guitar is being restrung.

56 minutes ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

Do it! The band sounds psyched to be giving the material to a brand new audience. Ironically, it begins with a hiccup - Immigrant Song is botched when Jimmy busts a string, no fast transition to Heartbreaker, but we do get some plantations while the guitar is being restrung.

Alright, I'll do it!  Family Day here in Ontario, so no school or work :hurrah: How's the sound quality?

48 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Alright, I'll do it!  Family Day here in Ontario, so no school or work :hurrah: How's the sound quality?

You've never heard 9/23/71? Oh man, you're in for one hell of a treat! As Boogie Chillen 82 alluded to above, the band's energy is off the charts. Apart from the broken string in Immigrant Song, the first half of the show (up to and including the acoustic set) is prime Led Zeppelin. It has my favorite version of SIBLY and a Whole Lotta Love for the ages (36 minutes!).

As for the sound, it's pretty exceptional. Arguably the best source is used on Watch Tower's "Rock Carnival". It's incredibly clear and atmospheric. Only issue is that after Stairway, the tape has been EQ'd and noise reduced extensively and sounds a bit squashed. Fortunately, there's a 2nd source that's almost as good, used on EVSD's "First Attack of the Rising of the Sun". Only issue with this source is some pitch problems during the acoustic set.

If you want the best version of this show possible, I'd recommend using "Rock Carnival" for the beginning up to and including Stairway, "First Attack of the Rising of the Sun" for Celebration Day and What Is and What Should Never Be onwards, and TDOLZ's "Reflection From a Dream" for the acoustic set. More info can be found here: http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27872

Alternatively, a simpler thing to do is to listen to the first playlist below from Immigrant Song to Stairway, then switch to the second playlist for the remainder of the show. Hope this isn't too confusing! :lol:

1 minute ago, ZepHead315 said:

You've never heard 9/23/71? Oh man, you're in for one hell of a treat! As Boogie Chillen 82 alluded to above, the band's energy is off the charts. Apart from the broken string in Immigrant Song, the first half of the show (up to and including the acoustic set) is prime Led Zeppelin. It has my favorite version of SIBLY and a Whole Lotta Love for the ages (36 minutes!).

As for the sound, it's pretty exceptional. Arguably the best source is used on Watch Tower's "Rock Carnival". It's incredibly clear and atmospheric. Only issue is that after Stairway, the tape has been EQ'd and noise reduced extensively and sounds a bit squashed. Fortunately, there's a 2nd source that's almost as good, used on EVSD's "First Attack of the Rising of the Sun". Only issue with this source is some pitch problems during the acoustic set.

If you want the best version of this show possible, I'd recommend using "Rock Carnival" for the beginning up to and including Stairway, "First Attack of the Rising of the Sun" for Celebration Day and What Is and What Should Never Be onwards, and TDOLZ's "Reflection From a Dream" for the acoustic set. More info can be found here: http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27872

Alternatively, a simpler thing to do is to listen to the first playlist below from Immigrant Song to Stairway, then switch to the second playlist for the remainder of the show. Hope this isn't too confusing! :lol:

Ok, sounds good!  Thanks for the help!

4 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

As for the sound, it's pretty exceptional. 

If you want the best version of this show possible, I'd recommend using "Rock Carnival" for the beginning up to and including Stairway, "First Attack of the Rising of the Sun" for Celebration Day and What Is and What Should Never Be onwards, and TDOLZ's "Reflection From a Dream" for the acoustic set.

I'm not sure what source I have (purchased it on ebay), but it sounds good with the exception of Celebration Day which just sounds like hell with the guitar and the rhythm section all blending together. My highlights (same as ZepHead, plus two more): SIBLY, D&C (it's almost as good as Europe '73), Going to California (phenomenal interplay between JPJ and Jimmy), and one of the best WLL ever.

3 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

I'm not sure what source I have (purchased it on ebay), but it sounds good with the exception of Celebration Day which just sounds like hell with the guitar and the rhythm section all blending together. My highlights (same as ZepHead, plus two more): SIBLY, D&C (it's almost as good as Europe '73), Going to California (phenomenal interplay between JPJ and Jimmy), and one of the best WLL ever.

What is the title of your version? You may be able to find it on Argenteum Astrum. He has lists of sources and which versions use which ones. Pretty thorough stuff. Link: http://www.argenteumastrum.com/