What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

2 hours ago, John M said:

I was listening to Seattle 3-21-75 No Quarter and was digging the avant-garde, almost atonal bit that Jones gets into on the piano around 19:50-20:10.  I don't recall hearing that in any other version.

Neither do I.  I've always liked that part as well.

Just now, blindwillie127 said:

Page is also doing runs and phrasings I've never heard him do before either. I think NQ & STH from 3/21/75 are both really special and unique performances. 

True, I forgot about that.  I agree; Dazed from that show qualifies as special and unique as well.  I would go with a Europe '73 version for the best instrumental virtuosity, but as far as its peak as a complete piece of music, more than just a song--like a symphony or opera, the 3/21/75 version takes the cake IMO.  Each section has reached the peak/end of its evolution and is executed perfectly, with smooth and flawless transitions between each one.

8 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Page is also doing runs and phrasings I've never heard him do before either. I think NQ & STH from 3/21/75 are both really special and unique performances. 

That whole section from about 19:00 - 20:30 in NQ sounds like parts of Bitches Brew to me, very avant garde interpretive jazz structures there.

Listening to 9/19/70 NY (Evening Show) a day late today, as I listened to the afternoon show yesterday.  I forgot how great and intense the outro section of "Dazed And Confused" is from this show--wow!  That's one of the sections that kept getting better as the years went along, but there aren't many Dazed outros as intense as this one!

Hopefully this one is next-in-line for a soundboard release after 9/29/71!

21 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

Blueberry Hill. So many masters and versions. Which is the best for sound - clarity and thickness?

Either the Eat A Peach release or the Winston Remaster that is floating around the internet...and also released physically on CD by Moonchild.

Edited by Strider

On 9/20/2018 at 8:57 AM, blindwillie127 said:

On 9/20/2018 at 9:04 AM, Bonzo_fan said:

True, I forgot about that.  I agree; Dazed from that show qualifies as special and unique as well.  I would go with a Europe '73 version for the best instrumental virtuosity, but as far as its peak as a complete piece of music, more than just a song--like a symphony or opera, the 3/21/75 version takes the cake IMO.  Each section has reached the peak/end of its evolution and is executed perfectly, with smooth and flawless transitions between each one.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:13 PM, IpMan said:

That whole section from about 19:00 - 20:30 in NQ sounds like parts of Bitches Brew to me, very avant garde interpretive jazz structures there.

Careful. Don't let that Nickpicking Page guy hear you. Hahaha.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Either the Eat A Peach release or the Winston Remaster that is floating around the internet...and also released physically on CD by Moonchild.

I appreciate that. Eat A Peach release is what I was listening to before I gave it to a co-worker. I always enjoy testing a copy of that one out.

Until yesterday, I had never heard the Eat A Peach (formally Godfather?) release. Thank you, Strider.

21 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

I appreciate that. Eat A Peach release is what I was listening to before I gave it to a co-worker. I always enjoy testing a copy of that one out.

Until yesterday, I had never heard the Eat A Peach (formally Godfather?) release. Thank you, Strider.

I don´t think the Winston Remaster is among the best versions of this show, whereas the Eat A Peach is truly a good one. But I´d recommend the recently released Wendy Box, which contains 4 different complete sources plus the partial Rubber Dubber source. Two of the Wendy sources surpass the Eat A Peach version easily, at least to my ears.

But maybe there is another nominee for the gold medal, as the Graf Zeppelin Label has released their version of Blueberry Hill just a few days ago.

Usually 9/10 Graf Zeppelin relases are blessed with awesome sound.........

52 minutes ago, Autumn Moon said:

I don´t think the Winston Remaster is among the best versions of this show, whereas the Eat A Peach is truly a good one. But I´d recommend the recently released Wendy Box, which contains 4 different complete sources plus the partial Rubber Dubber source. Two of the Wendy sources surpass the Eat A Peach version easily, at least to my ears.

But maybe there is another nominee for the gold medal, as the Graf Zeppelin Label has released their version of Blueberry Hill just a few days ago.

Hey bud, I am obsessed with this show - I love it. I was completely unaware of the Wendy release. The two sources that you refer to - are they complete? I’d love to hear them if you (or anyone) has a link. Also were these sources included in the monster EV release?

Cheers 

On 9/20/2018 at 10:46 PM, apantherfrommd said:

Blueberry Hill. So many masters and versions. Which is the best for sound - clarity and thickness?

Little late here, but my go to for this show is the Cobra Premium release. It uses a different main source from the more famous TMoQ and Rubber Dubber ones and, imho, it's the best in terms of a good balance of atmosphere and clarity. If I'm not mistaken, it was the version used for this upload of the show:

Edited by ZepHead315

2 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

The 2018 Wendy Box looked so tempting. I was waiting for a recommendation on this. Thank you very much, Autumn Moon for the comparison between two of the sources on Wendy and the Eat A Peach.

Just finished this - took me all weekend but I got there. A very experimental and adventurous outing that I think pays massive dividends. There is some really great lead/follow and trying out new threads in this set. Especially the heavy hitting numbers and right into the encore. It's a great listen.

893353SNOWBLIND4.jpg

add.JPG

This track is one of my favorites  on the DVD.   Plant is in strong voice, they are all obviously having a great time, Bonham on the spoons, the bass, the others singing here and there, such joy and smiles all around.  And to top it off I love the figure Page plays at 3:14-3:20 and then again a bit later.