What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

One More For The Road - Madison Square Garden, Evening Show, September 19th, 1970

"If you don't sit down on the floor, nobody's gonna be able to see behind!" "Sit down! Sit down! Do what I say! Gonna love you people each and every eveeeeeery day!!"

EPIC vocal improvisation!!! :yay:

Thanks, Strider! ;)

Edited to add: Cannot believe that this show is going to turn 45, this year in September!

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

One More For The Road - Madison Square Garden, Evening Show, September 19th, 1970

"If you don't sit down on the floor, nobody's gonna be able to see behind!" "Sit down! Sit down! Do what I say! Gonna love you people each and every eveeeeeery day!!"

EPIC vocal improvisation!!! :yay:

Thanks, Strider! ;)

Edited to add: Cannot believe that this show is going to turn 45, this year in September!

:goodpost: My favorite! :you_rock:

^^^^ :thanku::friends:

A very touching moment for me, was when Robert paid a tribute to Jimi Hendrix by terming his death as "a great loss that came about to the whole of the music world". I also liked the fact that he urged the audience to have a good time rather than talk about it, since that was what Jimi would have preferred!! A tear jerking moment for me! :tears:

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

At the moment I am patching the cuts in the 'new' Fort Worth '77 soundboard with the audience tape. Looking around all the usual sites and whatnot, I see about four different 'remasters' of the EVSD soundboard tapes but it looks like none of them have thought to do any of the necessary patching work in order to make the show 'complete', so I figured I'd give it a go :lol:

I will say this, though: I'm not one of these wierdos who bases sound quality on a goddamn waveform but looking at the soundboard recording in Sound Forge I do believe the good folks at EVSD need to lay off the fucking compression...the EVSD isn't "brickwalled" but it's damned close (though not as bad as the 20/3/75 Vancouver SBD)

Anyway, if anybody's interested in hearing my patch job, shoot me a PM.

At the moment I am patching the cuts in the 'new' Fort Worth '77 soundboard with the audience tape. Looking around all the usual sites and whatnot, I see about four different 'remasters' of the EVSD soundboard tapes but it looks like none of them have thought to do any of the necessary patching work in order to make the show 'complete', so I figured I'd give it a go :lol:

I will say this, though: I'm not one of these wierdos who bases sound quality on a goddamn waveform but looking at the soundboard recording in Sound Forge I do believe the good folks at EVSD need to lay off the fucking compression...the EVSD isn't "brickwalled" but it's damned close (though not as bad as the 20/3/75 Vancouver SBD)

Funny, I was listening to bits of that last night...the part in "In My Time Of Dying" where Bonzo throws Jimmy off always cracks me up. I was amazed at how long it took Jimmy to get back on track--probably would've had a faster recovery time in the early days lol

I've always suspected EVSD and Beezlebub to be among the worst practitioners of "brickwalling" in the bootled biz.

A couple days late but listening to March 12, 1975 Long Beach Arena. I was hoping to write an epic 40th anniversary post about going to that concert but my health isn't allowing me much these days. Hopefully by the time the Forum shows roll around I'll be better.

Led Zeppelin Fresh Garbage Vol. I: Fillmore West, NY 10.01.1969: January 10, 1969. The 10.01.1969 is from the youtube description.

https://youtu.be/jXxPGXfydgk

That guy has his info wrong, 1.10.1969 was at the Fillmore West in San Francisco, as is the audio on that upload.

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

I've always suspected EVSD and Beezlebub to be among the worst practitioners of "brickwalling" in the bootled biz.

You've obviously never heard any of Tarantura's releases of Mr. Peach's Queen tapes. Those releases are absolutely unlistenable.

You've obviously never heard any of Tarantura's releases of Mr. Peach's Queen tapes. Those releases are absolutely unlistenable.

No I haven't.

But I just finished listening to April 23, 1977 Atlanta and that has to be one of the worst sound quality tapes I've ever heard. People were bitching about Copenhagen 1971 in another thread but this makes Copenhagen '71 sound like a Millard tape. If you stood outside the LA Forum trying to listen to Led Zeppelin play inside, it would still sound better than this tape.

Strangely enough, even with the horrid quality you can just suss out enough of the performance to tell it's a good one. The first thing you notice is that it's a well-proportioned show...all the instrumental jams are just long enough without going on too long where they lose the plot. Even on Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp and White Summer, where sometimes Jimmy would play himself into corners, these Atlanta versions are focused and concise...your mind doesn't wander.

Actually, I find the shitty sound quality helps with pieces like White Summer and the Noise Solo...it helps give an idea of the spaciness of the sound. You get a sense of how loud it felt with Jimmy's guitar bouncing around the arena that you would never get with a soundboard.

Another thing you wouldn't get with an Atlanta soundboard is the vibe of how much the Atlanta crowd is eating this shit up. They're going bonkers from beginning to end. I don't think you would find any of them bitching about the 1977 tour.

I'll have to revisit Pontiac Silverdome and April 28 Cleveland to decide where Atlanta fits...it definitely feels like a better show than Destroyer Cleveland and any of the Landover shows.

But I just finished listening to April 23, 1977 Atlanta and that has to be one of the worst sound quality tapes I've ever heard. People were bitching about Copenhagen 1971 in another thread but this makes Copenhagen '71 sound like a Millard tape. If you stood outside the LA Forum trying to listen to Led Zeppelin play inside, it would still sound better than this tape.

Strangely enough, even with the horrid quality you can just suss out enough of the performance to tell it's a good one. The first thing you notice is that it's a well-proportioned show...all the instrumental jams are just long enough without going on too long where they lose the plot. Even on Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp and White Summer, where sometimes Jimmy would play himself into corners, these Atlanta versions are focused and concise...your mind doesn't wander.

No question, Atlanta '77 probably is the worst sounding 1977 recording (glad you enjoyed it!) but like you say it's still listenable enough to know that Zeppelin was having a good night at the Omni. I agree with you about how they were still able to remain focused during the instrumental pieces; it really wasn't until the June shows where Page's eyes got bigger than his stomach and he found it necessary to try and wow the audience with excess in instead probably ended up boring people to tears :lol: Five or six minutes of "White Summer", "Bron Y Aur Stomp" and a ten minute Noise Solo is plenty, thanks.

Another thing you wouldn't get with an Atlanta soundboard is the vibe of how much the Atlanta crowd is eating this shit up. They're going bonkers from beginning to end. I don't think you would find any of them bitching about the 1977 tour.

I always chuckle at the drunk guy during "No Quarter" constantly imploring the band to "Play the blues!" :lol: Uh, fella? I think it's safe to say that the blues ship had pretty much sailed for Led Zeppelin by 1977, they had much more in common with Progressive Rock than blues by that stage of their career IMO. But, yeah, it's on recordings like Atlanta where you get a sense of the event these shows were- you ain't gonna find that on a dry soundboard recording, that's for sure...

I'll have to revisit Pontiac Silverdome and April 28 Cleveland to decide where Atlanta fits...it definitely feels like a better show than Destroyer Cleveland and any of the Landover shows.

IMO Atlanta is up there with the second Cleveland gig, Pontiac and the final night in Chicago as the best gigs of the first leg of the '77 tour. Hell, when you get right down to it they're really the only good ones (Cincinatti comes close but those shows still have their share of slop about them- more distractions by rowdy audiences I reckon). Most nights in April '77 Zeppelin were either unrehearsed or just not into the performance, it took a while for them to get their shit together and get going. Of course, considering five of the Missing Seven '77 recordings are from this period Minneapolis/St Paul, St Louis and Indianapolis might have been decent (I doubt Dallas was, probably another 'live rehearsal' like Oklahoma City).

I still consider the four Landover shows -the second and third nights at least- to be some of the worst of the tour. I don't know why Zeppelin put on such mediocre performances in Landover but unfortunately the soundboard recordings make it all too apparent that they weren't great gigs. The May 30 show is easily the best.

Edited by Nutrocker

watching Seattle '77

EDIT: On No Quarter now. Really a great performance all around. Very creative playing from Jimmy. (I'm not joking.)

Am I crazy or does the picture quality seem to improve a bit during the big guitar solo then go back down to what it was before after it's over?

Edited by Sue Dounim

March 17, 1975 Seattle "Haven't We Met Somewhere Before?"

40 years ago tonight. On No Quarter at the moment.

No Quarter was always one song I always wanted to hear at a Led Zeppelin concert. I never tired of it the way I did "Moby Dick", "Black Dog" and "Dazed and Confused". Every tour No Quarter was a great jam but if you ask me, the best tour for No Quarter was 1975.

1973 was still a little rudimentary and 1977 was too schizophrenic with that Nutrocker or boogie woogie section thrown in on top of Jones' too wandering piano solos. But 1975...ahhhh, 1975 is perfect as the mood of a dark journey is kept throughout the piece. All the solos and extended jams are musical highlights of the 1975 tour.

What really clinches the deal for me as far as 1975 being the best year for No Quarter is that three minute section after Jones is finished with his solo and he and Bonzo begin to set up the instrumental jam. Jimmy remains quiet and for often three or more glorious minutes you get to hear Bonham and Jones feeding off each other, playing and exploring together. It is the sound of the greatest rhythm section in rock locked into each other and getting playfully funky and jazzy.

To witness such on-the-spot musical creation in the flesh was always a rush. Not to mention that by this time in the concert, you had ingested so much second-hand marijuana smoke that you were stoned and primed for the journey. You wanted it to last forever...and hoped Jimmy felt the same way and would hold off coming in for his solo as long as possible.

The March 17, 1975 No Quarter features one of the greatest Jones-Bonham "setting up the groove"...as this YouTube clip demonstrates:

https://youtu.be/LHmKuDklnqw

1973 was still a little rudimentary and 1977 was too schizophrenic with that Nutrocker or boogie woogie section thrown in on top of Jones' too wandering piano solos. But 1975...ahhhh, 1975 is perfect as the mood of a dark journey is kept throughout the piece. All the solos and extended jams are musical highlights of the 1975 tour.

What really clinches the deal for me as far as 1975 being the best year for No Quarter is that three minute section after Jones is finished with his solo and he and Bonzo begin to set up the instrumental jam. Jimmy remains quiet and for often three or more glorious minutes you get to hear Bonham and Jones feeding off each other, playing and exploring together. It is the sound of the greatest rhythm section in rock locked into each other and getting playfully funky and jazzy.

What a great dissertation on No Quarter. I completely agree that 1975 was the peak year for this song, partly because I was never sold on the Nutrocker section. It's fine on its own, but at the center of such a gloomy epic it comes across as sorta goofy.

IMO Atlanta is up there with the second Cleveland gig, Pontiac and the final night in Chicago as the best gigs of the first leg of the '77 tour. Hell, when you get right down to it they're really the only good ones (Cincinatti comes close but those shows still have their share of slop about them- more distractions by rowdy audiences I reckon). Most nights in April '77 Zeppelin were either unrehearsed or just not into the performance, it took a while for them to get their shit together and get going. Of course, considering five of the Missing Seven '77 recordings are from this period Minneapolis/St Paul, St Louis and Indianapolis might have been decent (I doubt Dallas was, probably another 'live rehearsal' like Oklahoma City).

I still consider the four Landover shows -the second and third nights at least- to be some of the worst of the tour. I don't know why Zeppelin put on such mediocre performances in Landover but unfortunately the soundboard recordings make it all too apparent that they weren't great gigs. The May 30 show is easily the best.

I agree that Landover were not great shows overall, but they were on fire for some songs. 5/28 Kashmir is my favorite performance of that song ever, and 5/30 Achille's is in the top two. Nutrocker, as an expert of 77, I'm wondering what you think was the best show of their tour.

Los Angeles was obviously their best run, but what single show was best of tour in your opinion? 4/28 at Cleveland? 6/22 in Los Angeles?

What really clinches the deal for me as far as 1975 being the best year for No Quarter is that three minute section after Jones is finished with his solo and he and Bonzo begin to set up the instrumental jam. Jimmy remains quiet and for often three or more glorious minutes you get to hear Bonham and Jones feeding off each other, playing and exploring together. It is the sound of the greatest rhythm section in rock locked into each other and getting playfully funky and jazzy. ]

Completely agree with this statement. Those 3 min or so were so amazing. San Diego is also one of my favorites for that same reason. Jones+Bonham=musical genius!

Nutrocker, as an expert of 77, I'm wondering what you think was the best show of their tour.

Los Angeles was obviously their best run, but what single show was best of tour in your opinion? 4/28 at Cleveland? 6/22 in Los Angeles?

No question in my mind, April 28 in Cleveland is overall the best I've heard. Most consistently well played show, doesn't get boring etc...

(For a time here I thought I was gonna drive everybody nuts with my constant raving about that show :lol: )

April 30, 1977 Pontiac Silverdome

Hold on everybody...this show has made a case for itself as a possible winner of the tour. Better than the Chicago shows I have heard and with much better sound quality than Atlanta, you definitely can hear a better performance as opposed to just imagining you're hearing a good performance with the Atlanta tape.

Only two moments during the Pontiac concert that drag...Jones piano noodling in NQ and Bonham's tympani noise fest, which the taper finally ends by just stopping the tape haha. Otherwise, Bonzo is maybe not as energetic and inventive as he was during the Forum run but he's a damn sight better than he was in May.

So I think Pontiac moves ahead of Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, 4.27.77 Cleveland, Ft, Worth, Houston, 6.25 and 6.27 LA Forum, and 6.7 and 6.10 MSG in the rankings of 1977 shows.

Next show up to explore will have to be April 28, 77...not sure I have a good source of that show. I seem to recall my version being pretty bad.

April 30, 1977 Pontiac Silverdome

Hold on everybody...this show has made a case for itself as a possible winner of the tour. Better than the Chicago shows I have heard and with much better sound quality than Atlanta, you definitely can hear a better performance as opposed to just imagining you're hearing a good performance with the Atlanta tape.

Only two moments during the Pontiac concert that drag...Jones piano noodling in NQ and Bonham's tympani noise fest, which the taper finally ends by just stopping the tape haha. Otherwise, Bonzo is maybe not as energetic and inventive as he was during the Forum run but he's a damn sight better than he was in May.

So I think Pontiac moves ahead of Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, 4.27.77 Cleveland, Ft, Worth, Houston, 6.25 and 6.27 LA Forum, and 6.7 and 6.10 MSG in the rankings of 1977 shows.

Next show up to explore will have to be April 28, 77...not sure I have a good source of that show. I seem to recall my version being pretty bad.

We oughta move some of these last posts into one of the 1977 discussions :lol:

EDIT: I just bumped the Atlanta '77 thread, so let's continue on this topic there

I agree for the most part about the Pontiac show...it's good, and like you say the performance does drag in parts but what strikes me most about the Pontiac gig is that Zeppelin didn't take advantage of the night and let the crowd have it. It's a very 'restrained' (for lack of a better term) performance- certainly it doesn't come across as in your face as the previous gig or Atlanta. Where's the fucking video? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can help you if you need a better 28-4-77 recording...since this is the "Listening to" thread I gotta say that I'd like to see that second source for that second Cleveland show pop up- apparently it's more complete than the common source, not cut in between the songs- so I could combine the two and sort of make the 'definitive' 28-4-77 recording.

Edited by Nutrocker