What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

What happens when the reality exceeds the dream? That was Led Zeppelin in concert. Marathon 6-hour plus listening party tonight revisiting both the 1972 and 1977 LA Forum shows I was at on the night of June 25.

post-1470-0-66363700-1435308904_thumb.jp

What happens when the reality exceeds the dream? That was Led Zeppelin in concert. Marathon 6-hour plus listening party tonight revisiting both the 1972 and 1977 LA Forum shows I was at on the night of June 25.

20150626_014527.jpg

Nice! I really like the full LA Drone, and it would have been nice to have more of it in the DVD and or HTWWW

Nice! I really like the full LA Drone, and it would have been nice to have more of it in the DVD and or HTWWW

The drone was amazing and it went on for minutes undulating through different tonalities and colours. I agree that Jimmy should have included more of it on the official HTWWW release.

Because of the inferior recording quality compared to the Millard tapes that surround it, I feel the Forum show of June 26, 1977 is overlooked...much like the 22nd.

After the Saturday night hijinks of the 25th, the Sunday show on the 26th was just as spirited. I was happy to have OTHAFA and Jimmy's spooky solo back in the set and as I have already mentioned, the acoustic set was rip-roaring from start to finish...like an intimate campfire for 18,000. The addition of "That's Alright, Mama" was a special treat. If the 25th had the best "Kashmir", the 26th was a close second...once again no mistakes in the bridge or the coda and Plant singing his arse off.

As for the encore, if "Communication Breakdown" was a welcome surprise on the 25th, the cover of Jerry Lee Lewis' "It'll Be Me" was even more surprising. And just as "Louie Louie" was five years earlier, "It'll Be Me" was enthusiastically received. Led Zeppelin had a way with the old rock 'n' roll classics.

So while the 26th didn't have the added star power of Keith Moon on the 23rd or Bonham's manic energy of the 21st, the 26th was a great night in its own way.

Edited by Strider

June 27, 1977 Forum. The last show Led Zeppelin played in Los Angeles.

After three consecutive shows and five concerts in seven days, I was exhausted and my ears were almost numb. Led Zeppelin stretched just about everything pass the limit, pushing the show close to the four hour mark. As was common by now, Jimmy broke strings and had problems with guitars being out of tune. I'll admit that I conserved energy by sitting most of the time and even shut my eyes a few times during the drum and noise solos. I did open them in time for the bow solo. The good parts still made it worthwhile, of course. Dancing Days are here again!

Edited by Strider

Good choice zepscoda. I'm listening to the same, although my cover art is different. Underrated show. Doesn't have the risk-taking and extra special encores that LA and Seattle had, but it's a consistent and solid show all-around.

You can somewhat hear all the partying from the nights leading up to this gig take a toll on Roberts voice, but that's okay, still a smoking show. Jimmy was on fire, as was the rest of the band.

Edited by zepscoda

June 30, 1980....for me this is the best Trampled Underfoot preformed on stage, and one of Jimmy's top 5 solos in my book. When I got this show on Dinosaur/Platinum/ Moonlight... I listened to it for weeks and weeks on end non stop.

Offenburg Germany 3/24/1973. I have really neglected these March European shows despite many claiming Page and Bonzo were at their very best. Very enjoyable show though, I've listened from Rock And Roll - Rain Song so far. Page really was flawless here, every little fill is perfect! Will have to listen to Vienna 3/16/73 and Berlin 3/19/73 soon, those 3 seem to be the best from what I've heard..